• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CosmicEmerald Version [Updated! 12/24/2019]

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Yooo! Thank you so much for the quick reply Skyvortex! I must say, i absolutely loved the Crystal colored outfit that i picked from the add on patches. I think it would be dope if you could create a spoiler showing all the possible designs. Lastly, i notified that whenever i catch a Pokémon the Pokedex data gets glitched up. Does this mean there is something wrong with my ROM? Thanks in advance!

Years
    Yooo! Thank you so much for the quick reply Skyvortex! I must say, i absolutely loved the Crystal colored outfit that i picked from the add on patches. I think it would be dope if you could create a spoiler showing all the possible designs. Lastly, i notified that whenever i catch a Pokémon the Pokedex data gets glitched up. Does this mean there is something wrong with my ROM? Thanks in advance!

Glad I could help!
    The PokéDex glitch has always been a problem in this hack (and others that implemented the associated feature the way I did). I don't know how to fix it besides removing the "EXP on Capture" feature altogether which wouldn't be ideal.
    As for the possible clothing combinations, unfortunately it would take well over 100 pictures to show all of them because of how they work. Whenever I get around to updating the game again I intend on posting a few of my favorite combinations as pictures.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2020
    Whenever I do checks for these things in PSS gen 3 games, I am surprised by how well it works out on its own (admittedly it's more noticeable on Firered). For example, let's look at Elite Four Sidney's Pokemon. He has a Mightyena, whose moves include crunch and double-edge. From the looks of it, that's a physical attacker- but you may forget that in gen 3, ALL dark moves were special. Mightyena has 90 attack to 60 special attack. With the PSS, it makes better use of crunch, an overall buff. Cacturne has both 115 attack and 115 special attack, so I would call this one pretty lucky. Its moves include needle arm and faint attack, both of which are physical. In gen 3, both of them were special. So an overall net zero. He has a Crawdaunt that knows Surf but also Swords Dance. With or without the PSS, that doesn't synergize well.

In terms of game balance, I would say the addition of the PSS is about equal overall, with small improvements to some pokemon that lacked a strong stab move that worked with their attack stats (dark types, ghost types - all ghost moves were physical. Now think of Gengar with a physical Shadow Ball back then). One can look at Dragon Dance, which boosted attack and speed, but all dragon moves were special in gen 3.

The gym leaders, elite four, and trainers are full of Pokemon that have stat boosting moves and no STAB to go with it, but that was a limitation of gen 3 unrelated to any PSS patch. If this is what you mean, buffing those moves, then yes you can go into the game files and change Crawdaunt's Surf to Waterfall, among other things, but that would make it "stronger"- if you're that much of a balance purist. I assume not, since the balance in this game and perhaps all Pokemon games were such that a literal 10 year old could beat it. Personally I change those kinds of moves in my own games and buff and nerf moves slightly based off of Gens IV to VI (Outrage, Thrash, and Petal Dance only have 90 attack power in gen 3 but 120 by gen 6. Fury cutter has like 10 power in gen 3, but 40 in gen 6. These are the kinds of changes I agree with.)

But like I said, Firered benefits much better from it. Agatha has tons of ghost pokemon with high special attack and PHYSICAL shadow ball. You can get a Hitmonchan that learns ice punch, thunderpunch, and firepunch, (all previously special moves that became physical) etc.

My final point is that for anyone who has doubts about the PSS split in gen 3: it's an overall improvement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT, I have a separate issue. The RTC doesn't work on 3DS injection (hardware), and I'm wondering if anyone has the solution to that. If it's noon where I am it's around midnight in the game. Quite annoying.

Same here, the RTC doesn't seem to work on 3DS injection. Any1 got a solution for that? Cheers for the awesome hack <3

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Yooo! So i reached Brawly and i noticed an oddity. I applied the PSS patch as my desired style of play. His machop used bulk up and when my Lombre used nature power, it turned into swift, which is a special move but his machop took it as a physical move with less damage than before it used bulk up.

EDIT: Kanto wild music doesn't play when encountering a Geodude.

Last edited:
    Years
    Yooo! So i reached Brawly and i noticed an oddity. I applied the PSS patch as my desired style of play. His machop used bulk up and when my Lombre used nature power, it turned into swift, which is a special move but his machop took it as a physical move with less damage than before it used bulk up.

EDIT: Kanto wild music doesn't play when encountering a Geodude.

It seems like the Nature Power move is locked to the default state of the moves it calls on. Not sure if I'll be able to fix that, but I'll take note of it.

As for Geodude, that's intentional since you can find it in the Hoenn region and it's part of the default Hoenn Dex. I have it the same way for the other earlier-generation Pokémon that can be found without trading, such as Marill and Zubat. As for others though like Onix, they get their regional theme since they can't be found in Hoenn.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Hey Sky, loving the ROM hack so far so far! I just came across a graphical glitch. If you are playing the game at night, this is what happens when you are about to exit leave Mt chimney in this direction,
    The screen sort of partially lights up like it's day.

Attachments

• Pokémon CosmicEmerald Version [Updated! 12/24/2019]
      Pokemon Cosmic Emerald Custom_1593277991934.png
      11.2 KB · Views: 5
    Years
    Hey Sky, loving the ROM hack so far so far! I just came across a graphical glitch. If you are playing the game at night, this is what happens when you are about to exit leave Mt chimney in this direction,
    The screen sort of partially lights up like it's day.

Yeah I've seen that glitch, I don't know how to fix it though. It's probably some color palettes being temporarily corrupted by the day/night system.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Hey Sky, I am not sure if you are open to suggestions or not, since Cosmic emerald has been long in development, but I think adding an automatic egg hatcher (Near Verdanturf), Nature swapper and perhaps an IV enhancer as well as optional patches, as they could really contribute to the Battle Frontier aspect of the game. Also, I am really sorry for spamming your thread an awful lot.

Edit: Forgot to mention there is a small typo when your party is full and you try to take the egg from the old lady in Lavaridge town!

Last edited:
    Years
    Hey Sky, I am not sure if you are open to suggestions or not, since Cosmic emerald has been long in development, but I think adding an automatic egg hatcher (Near Verdanturf), Nature swapper and perhaps an IV enhancer as well as optional patches, as they could really contribute to the Battle Frontier aspect of the game. Also, I am really sorry for spamming your thread an awful lot.

Edit: Forgot to mention there is a small typo when your party is full and you try to take the egg from the old lady in Lavaridge town!

It's alright, I appreciate the new ideas and I know you're trying to help make the game better.

I'll consider adding those new features if they are a thing now, I haven't really been keeping up with much ROM hacking stuff lately so I'm just now finding out about these. Though if this is about making them from scratch, unfortunately I don't know how to go about that. I'll keep them in mind and try to put them in the game once I get back into things.

Also thanks for letting me know about the typo in Lavaridge. I checked it out, and it's pretty weird considering I don't remember editing that script at all. If anyone else is wondering, the lady says " h?" instead of "Oh?" at the start of the dialogue about the party being full. Can't think of anything that may have caused it, except a tool glitching out or something (oddly only a single byte of data was changed in an area where everything else was fine). I actually went ahead and fixed it, though I won't be updating the main post for quite some time unless I make lots more changes to the game.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Ayee, I just wanted to ask if a plasma stone is necessary for trade evolution Pokémon like Gengar and Machamp?

EDIT: Noticed an oddity, i used the Bike music disable patch, but on route 118, when j was going through the grass, i encountered a wild Pokémon, after the battle ended, the bike music started playing.

Last edited:
    Years
    Ayee, I just wanted to ask if a plasma stone is necessary for trade evolution Pokémon like Gengar and Machamp?

EDIT: Noticed an oddity, i used the Bike music disable patch, but on route 118, when j was going through the grass, i encountered a wild Pokémon, after the battle ended, the bike music started playing.

Yeah you'll need Plasma Stones for them, I can't remember if trading them will still do it or not but I'm sure it will only work with the stones.

About the bike thing, I don't know why that's happening, seems like some other routine in the game is calling the bike music function even though I turned it off for one of them. Not sure how to fix this one unless I can find out exactly what code is run directly after random encounters.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I reported to u some map bugs in tiles like in Victory road, but i found At night in "fog" near safari zone, The lights are bit weird, like i said, If u could revert The original tiles and leave The "custom areas that arent in original like" moon" and stars. would be The perfect rom emerald, i dont want be rude, Its Just i like vanila game, and your rom is perfect features.

Second point is, The bike Music sometimes bugs, even If i disable by patch, i think original Music fits better, also some routes had The musics changed, like in north of mauvallie. You could restore The original and leave The custom pokemon songs wild battles.

I saw in The event islands. Kanto starters in Second evolution, Just leave then At first form. Bulbasaur squirtle and Bulbasaur.. And set it to appear in some night or Day or morning and The encounter rate really Hard.. As possible.. Or a sugestion. Dont make them wild, make then as event egg given by a npc in world.. Something like this..

Revert The pokeball infinite.. Make Then original.. I know i can Make it patching, but its kinda annoying choosing patches etc,

Oh i forgot to mention. At The start of The game there are too many potions.. Why 2 potions in PC? Make then like in original xD

Just my opinion in a vanilla gamer. By far your rom is The perfect one. Just some points that would fit better.. The rest of The rom is perfect!! And sorry If i sounded rude or stupid. You are amazing!

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Howdy, I do have a small doubt, I'm planning to focus on completing the Pokédex. Can someone please tell me where i buy element stones for stone based evolutions? Thank you!

Years
    I reported to u some map bugs in tiles like in Victory road, but i found At night in "fog" near safari zone, The lights are bit weird, like i said, If u could revert The original tiles and leave The "custom areas that arent in original like" moon" and stars. would be The perfect rom emerald, i dont want be rude, Its Just i like vanila game, and your rom is perfect features.

Second point is, The bike Music sometimes bugs, even If i disable by patch, i think original Music fits better, also some routes had The musics changed, like in north of mauvallie. You could restore The original and leave The custom pokemon songs wild battles.

I saw in The event islands. Kanto starters in Second evolution, Just leave then At first form. Bulbasaur squirtle and Bulbasaur.. And set it to appear in some night or Day or morning and The encounter rate really Hard.. As possible.. Or a sugestion. Dont make them wild, make then as event egg given by a npc in world.. Something like this..

Revert The pokeball infinite.. Make Then original.. I know i can Make it patching, but its kinda annoying choosing patches etc,

Oh i forgot to mention. At The start of The game there are too many potions.. Why 2 potions in PC? Make then like in original xD

Just my opinion in a vanilla gamer. By far your rom is The perfect one. Just some points that would fit better.. The rest of The rom is perfect!! And sorry If i sounded rude or stupid. You are amazing!

Thank you for reporting the bugs. About the lights, are you talking about the glowing lamp posts? If so, the fog's effect on it seems to be tied to the properties of the tile itself, that if changed then it results in the player appearing 'above' the tile instead of below it. The fog is meant to appear lower to the ground, though I wish it would be over everything. (For anyone wondering about the animated lamps, I actually had the idea from the signature pic of a user named colcolstyles).

IIRC I posted a patch in an earlier page in this thread that removes all the custom music (maybe except the Johto WIld Battle theme, can't remember), give that one a try. Also yeah the Bike Music patch seems to not be all that reliable unfortunately, I made it by altering a byte or two in the bike's code routine in HxD.

About the starters, I deliberately made it so that they are in their mid-evolution states to add a bit of wild-encounter variety and extra challenge to complete the Dex. As for the day/night-based wild battles, that's a function I have tried and failed to add in the past and I really don't know how to do that. I'd have to do more research into it but I don't know if anyone's even done it successfully for Emerald yet. I'm also sure it would break compatibility with A-Map, which would be unacceptable considering how integral that program is for working on this.

For the Infinite Pokéballs thing, I'll consider doing that and leaving the normal system as the default.

Yeah the 2 Potions in the PC is a bit unnecessary, though I did that as a pleasant surprise to players that maybe wanted another one. You can always toss out 1 or both of them for more of a challenge though.

Well thanks for your suggestions and compliments! I've been sort of busy with life lately so it's probably going to be a little while before I update the game again though.

Howdy, I do have a small doubt, I'm planning to focus on completing the Pokédex. Can someone please tell me where i buy element stones for stone based evolutions? Thank you!

I decided to keep it like the original Emerald in that you have to find the wild Pokémon that hold Blue/Red/Green/Yellow Shards and either catch them or use Thief/Covet (easier). You then trade those to the guy living in a house off the coast of Mossdeep City and he'll give you Evolution Stones. However, they can also be bought in the Celadon Dept. Store in FR/LG.

Here's a link to a post I made about the Shards from some pages back: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10106274#post10106274

The special Plasma Stones can be found in the Game Corner, and in a few sparse locations as item-balls.

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Hey, Sky thank you so much for the quick reply! I thought I'd drop by and report a small oddity. I traded my Lickitung for a Tangela in fortree city and the mail it was holding said "look after plusle, Volbeat will be safe". I understand this is probably unchanged data from the original Emerald ROM. Thought I'd just mention it. Once I'm done with the Pokédex I'll be dropping a review of my experience. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    My compliments to the maker of this hack! It's great. I especially like the fact that some Pokemon are truly rare (low encounter rate). I don't like hacks where everything is handed to you. I'm at badge 3 now.

However, there is a graphical glitch. The Pokedex entry that you see immediately after you've caught a Pokemon is sometimes bugged. The text doesn't fit on the whole screen or something.

EDIT: just read the first post. The glitch is known already. Sorry :P

Last edited:
    Years
    Umm...
    Do I have to water the berries in this hack? The soil is already always moist.
    Is this intended?

I left the berry system the same as in regular Emerald, in which you can still grow berries without watering the plants.
    Normally all you need to do is water the plants once per growth stage to maximize the amount of berries you will get when they are ready. Though for some rarer berries (like Leichi) you will only get a single one back if you don't water it during enough of its growth phases. Watering them multiple times at once has no effect.

Last edited:
    Back