• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokémon fangame accessibility improvements

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
Would it be posible to make a script that ads paneble sounds for doors, persons and wals? What I mean about this is that you can here a sound from the direction that the object is, and when you get closer the sound get's louder. If that could be done for persons, items, walls ETC. Then thouse games would be completely accessible. I could gladly test the script my self, or heck even help make it.

sounds simple enough to do.. just set the volume based on the event's distance from the player.
something like:
Code:
# class Interpreter's Play SE method
  def command_250
     event = $game_map.events[@event_id]
     distance = sqrt(event.x - $game_player.x + event.y - $game_player.y)
     volume = distance * 15 
    volume =[ volume, 100].max
    @parameters[0].volume = volume
    # Play SE
    $game_system.se_play(@parameters[0])
    # Continue
    return true
  end

still working on my script.
it now plays all message-box texts in RPG Maker XP, when accessibility is turned on.
currently there's a bug, when trying to play a sound while another is still being played, and they're both short.

Last edited:
Years
Ok, just tryde RPG maker XP. It's not accessible with my screen reader. Sorry, I can't help you make the script.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
hello pokey monners. i'd like to ask a question here
since rpg makerxp isn't accessible for us is there a way to desine the map comandlinly or via a programming lang?
if so, what is the prolang that essentials uses?
in our blindy cace, blind people, we don't need the thing that all people like, and know, eccept us
yupp, you knew it, we don't need images, so yeah, is there anyway we can program events and stuff profgramminglyish\?
thanks

Years
they use RPG maker to make maps. I think there is a drawing thingy they use. I couldn't figger out a way of using it accessibly, but I say. Let they do mapping, and let we focus on accessibility.

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
Years
I just wanted to give a quick update.
So, silver-wind and I have been working a bit, and I am happy to say, the base for all of it is almost complete! The only problem is that eSpeak can only read one work when called in rgss and calling it over 10 times in a short amount of time crashes the game. I'm trying to find a workaround. (Maybe a batch file?)

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
i hope it gets fixed. good luck to you two, and thanks for developing the PASS (pokemon accessibility silverscript), and good luck again

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
#Not Important said:
The only problem is that eSpeak can only read one work when called in rgss and calling it over 10 times in a short amount of time crashes the game.
I fixed it in my code, by having a queue of messages waiting to be played. so you can play another message even when one still being played.
however I'm using an estimation of how long it takes to read the text. is there a way to tell that espeak finished running?

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
Years
I fixed it in my code, by having a queue of messages waiting to be played. so you can play another message even when one still being played.
however I'm using an estimation of how long it takes to read the text. is there a way to tell that espeak finished running?

Not that I know of...
This is my current speaking code:
Code:
def speak(text)
  text_array = text.split(" ")
  for message in text_array
    system("eSpeak.exe #{message}")
  end
end

You could estimate the time taken this way though:
Code:
#=======================
#
#=======================
def get_time(text)
  text_characters = text.split("")
  amt = text_characters.count()
  final = amt*0.1
  return final
end
This returns the time it takes to speak a word in seconds.
could you show me how you did it?

Also I now have the Pokegear code!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
try
Code:
messgae = '"'+ message + '""
system("eSpeak.exe #{message}")
it'll play it all at once. just make sure there's no '\n' in there. why are we doing two different scripts though?
let's combine them. can we talk on discord? mine is: silverwind#0521

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
hey not importent, sorry for offtopiking it, but can you give me your discord username and then we can talk together

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
Years
I'm almost done the start screen!
Battles are going to be hard, but I'll manage. silver-wind and I might use a .msi (Microsoft installer) to install eSpeak if you dont have it already. We could use
Code:
if {eSpeak installed check}
  system("eSpeakinstaller.msi")
end
Just need to find out what {eSpeak installed check} should be

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2023
I made a code checking if the folder exists in program files,
but in 64 bit systems, it's program files (86), or people may install it elsewhere, so I'm looking for another option.
some programs notify you when you're installing that it's already installed, but eSpeak doesn't, sadly

Last edited:
Back