• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2018
    Hey...a don´t have much things to say about your game....
    Only a few things...
    Like...THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST ROMS I EVER PLAYED.
    Really,i´m love your ROM so much...hum...i don´t have enough words to describe the way a love playing FireRed Rocket Edition...
    I so excited to the next beta,for more of this awesome history.
    I don´t know....but stealing other pokémons and commitng crimes in this game...is...so...sorry,don´t have words to say how i love it.
    One of the principal(for me) aspects of this ROM that make me love it is the freedom that you have.
    Other principal thing(for me) is the bounty system and The Team Rocket rank system...this aspects make me want to play this ROM again and again,the feeling of success,being a known bandit,a important person.

Well...very thanks for made this...i don´t know hot to thank you...really...i love it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    Already played the previous versions. Is there a dateline for the release of this hack?

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    "What's your favorite ROM Hack" is a question I sometimes ask myself. However, after playing FireRed: Rocket Edition, I now found my answer.

FireRed: Rocket Edition is probably the best ROM Hack I have played; It is far different and refreshing from many ROM Hacks I've played through. The dialogue along with the narrative is excellent and gives the player a whole new perspective on the Kanto story line, such an example I saw during the player character's meeting with Blue in Tower in Lavender Town; instead of being just a cocky rival, you see a whole other side to Blue as being a sympathetic and insecure boy who has problems with his grandfather and rival Red which makes him feel human. Many other characters such as Bill, Giovanni and Mr Fuji are far more fleshed out and thus more interesting thanks to the good writing. Nearly every NPC has had their dialogue re-written and whenever something happens, they react to it.

One aspect of this ROM Hack that I found most appealing is the absolute freedom you are given; you may choose to steal or not and you may choose to accept side quest missions or not. Another aspect is also liked is the bounty system which indicates your level of success throughout the game as well as the rocket ranks. Basically, the bounty and rocket rank systems makes you feel like you are actually succeeding unlike getting some badges that don't feel achieving.

Throughout the ROM Hack, I was engrossed with the story and I enjoyed it entirely. I could definitely see that a lot of passion, love and hard work was put into this game. I look forward to its completion and I will wait patiently no matter how much time it takes. So thank you, colonelsalt, for choosing to be different and taking the time in creating this sophisticated ROM Hack.

Although I don't think any of my suggestions will help improve this great ROM Hack, I do have a suggestion that I personally would like to see implemented; I'd like the Centers to stop offering to heal the player's after a certain bounty is achieved, similar to the Marts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2019
    First of all: Great ROM Hack!
    Perfect work so far, i really enjoyed it :)
    One small suggestion:
    It would be nice if you could sell the stolen Pokemon e.g. in the Rocket HQ, because there is no need of boxes full with stolen Pokemon and it would make the "bad way" more attractive :)
    Looking forward to the next beta!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    I have no idea if the person working on this project has even decided to continue it, but if you have, I have a few suggestions for you from the impression I got when I played the Beta version.

Make the game a little more like a "choose your own adventure" type, where the game can have different outcomes based on the choices the player makes. Allow the player to be able to choose the "moral high road" just stealing from those deserving, if he/she desires. Even though it's just a game, I had a bit of a problem just stealing from random characters, and I think it should be modified to make it all seem less depressing. Allow the player to steal from bad guys, get on the good side of the law, and act as a double agent, if he or she desires. If he or she desires to play a gangster in the pokemon universe, allow options and adventures for that, too.

Program the game, if possible, to distinguish between stolen pokemon and pokemon the player has actually caught. Make losing a battle with a trainer result in a few of the player's stolen pokemon missing from their team, but always allow the player to keep the pokemon they caught.

Allow the players who want to play it like that to experience a fully playable pokemon adventure, only from Team Rocket's perspective. Right now, the Beta doesn't allow you to catch certain pokemon except by stealing. Make stealing a lot more difficult in the game due to AI tag team battles, like in that Apollo version.

Make it possible for the player to become a fully licensed pokemon trainer, or disguise himself / herself as one to interact with the other characters in the game on more friendly terms and participate in fun pokemon quests.

Include lots of unfair tag-team battles when the player shows up in the rocket uniform, like in the anime, for example having to battle Nurse Joy to have your pokemon healed, having to battle Jenny and her officers, facing tag team style battles with gym leaders, etc., basically make it really difficult.

Give us regular cameos by Jessie and James, where you have to fight them to prove your worth as a trainer, and make them as overpowered as you can imagine.

Also, include a storyline where Team Rocket are sort of the good guys.

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Whelp, so I was thinking to myself on how this hack could be even more dope than it already is and I thought about the following:
    1) New Battle backgrounds to make the game feel fresh.

2) Maybe Remaster the Fire red soundtracks to the HGSS style or include the GB sounds key item.

3) Maybe give the character an option to mug more money off a trainer if he chooses to not snag a Pokemon.

I hope you consider one of these!

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    Do you have a version of this where you wrote your own code? When I think of hacks, I kind of think about the SMW game hacks that can be performed by Lunar Magic. I don't really know where it falls legally, maybe no worse than making a game based on someone else's characters, but I kind of have the impression that game companies frown upon it.

I get that a fan made pokemon game that is as playable as the original would probably not be liked by the likes of Nintendo anyway, unless maybe the creator of the game works for the company maybe, but I just have a few weird hangups associated with the word "hack" I guess.

I did play it, though, and technical legalities aside, it was a fun game. I didn't like how dark it got closer to the end, though. The player can actually choose to be a pretty good guy if he / she wants to, even buying pokeballs and catching and training their own pokemon, and I like that aspect of it, personally. I think people like Jessie and James because they aren't really bad guys; they steal stuff once in a while, but they never really cross the line, evidenced by the fact that their antics are tame enough for a kids' show.

Here are my suggestions:

I actually like catching and training pokemon in the game, so I did so when I could, even going so far as to purchase that useless Magicarp and raise it into a Gyrados during my hours of play. I think you should make stealing pokemon pretty difficult. It's a novelty that you actually can do so, but it also makes the game too easy. Maybe make the in-game repercussions for stealing pokemon, only pokemon, pretty harsh.

In the anime, Jessie and James are actually pokemon trainers. To me, they have more of a "lovable rogue" vibe. The police aren't constantly chasing them, and most of the dirty tricks they pull are to get back at Ash and company. They aren't straight-up gangsters. I think that's what makes them seem like characters you could have a bit of sympathy for. Now, there are other Team Rocket members in the anime who aren't like that at all. You want to see them lose, but I think it would be more interesting to let the player choose to be either a nasty evil criminal lowlife or sort of a "people's villain," who builds a reputation with the townsfolk of being trustworthy and occasionally doing bad deeds for good reasons, like Robin Hood or the Lone Ranger or something. In one or two episodes of the anime, Jessie and James were even mistaken for good guys.

You could start out having the player treated the same as any member of Team Rocket, totally shunned by regular citizens and only embraced by their organization, but you could have townsfolk gradually start to treat to a Team Rocket member who has proven himself/ herself a "people's villain" (like allowing the player an option to stop a team member, or criminal unaffiliated with Team Rocket, from mugging an innocent child or robbing a bank--hey, Team Rocket must keep up their image somehow. I doubt pokemon terrorists would be mistaken for superheroes, but Jessie and James are in at least one episode of the anime,) by giving them perks that they don't give other criminals. For instance, license to enter the gyms and battle, freedom to shop at pokemarts and go on training missions, their own starter pokemon, and the ability to walk around town without fear of being pounced on by self-righteous citizens who decide to take the law into their own hands. Tee-hee, you could even include a scene where Ash tries to mop the floor with your "people's villain" and the citizens come out, stop him, and beat him up with their pokemon!

On the other hand, you could treat players who decide to play nasty criminal lowlifes to being mobbed by self-righteous trainers (the team battles in the Pokemon Apollo game are nice, especially the one where the player is mobbed by a bunch of police with pokemon), banned from pokemarts and even pokemon centers, having their stolen pokemon confiscated, being attacked by wild pokemon who sense they are evil, etc.

Of course, every choice would have its own set of repercussions and rewards. The player who decided to be the evil villain could get rewarded by like-minded individuals on the team, like in this game, but the player who decided to be sort of a "good guy" and show himself/herself trustworthy to the townspeople could get rewarded and protected by those people. They could also get into regular scuffles with the evil criminal types, like Jessie and James sometimes do with Butch and Cassidy, as well as members of other criminal organizations, in the anime. Plus, there could always be the occasional misunderstanding, where the "good" bad guy gets the same awful treatment as the real criminals.

I just like the idea of the player being able to become sort of a Lone Ranger type character. You sort of gave us a good balance in the current game, but I kind of don't like that the player is rewarded nearly equally regardless of what choice he /she makes. The game could explore more themes if it were more responsive to the choices the player made.

Oh, and please give us more pokemon choices. It would be nice to be able to find better pokemon in the water and grass. Like I said earlier, I don't like that the player can just steal the pokemon he / she wants with nearly no repercussions. I feel like it makes the game too easy. Plus, I just like playing pokemon games like pokemon games, going on little quests, searching through the grass, battling trainers, finding cool items, wasting several hours, etc.

I would also like some fourth-wall breaking easter eggs, such as trainers with Game Sharks that will give you any pokemon you want if you are lucky enough to find them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2019
    forget these feeble people...just come up with my ideas... add a few high level bosses like mt moon and have something more to do with all the pokemon in the pc. don't make it complicated....sarconic ominencence I am me lol

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2019
    So, this game sounds amazing. But I can't play because when I patch the game onto a rom the screen just stays white when I load the game up onto my emulator. Anybody else go through this? Anyone have a solution?

Back