• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokémon: New Jersey Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    Hey if you still need a spriter Ill do it just tell me how you want them to look and Ill do it

Also you might want to make a crack joke about how we say water Ive moved around alot and you have 'no' clue how many times I had someone look at me weird or try to correct me for it lol

Also I cant wait to see this Rom completed Message me when its done ne? XD

Also...I had a funny thought you might like....you should make the classic 'Jersey Girl' a pokemon (Jynx!) XD disciption and all XD it would be funny

Though I do have one question, did you get anywhere like Edison or the Amboys? on this game? thats where I was from and used to live.

Also did you know most of the United States has no 'clue' what a Porkroll Sandwhich is? 0_o Im so deprived~ *cries* *is in Louisiana at the moment* once Im done with collage Im moving back to NJ!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    This Game Look AMAZING. lol

If this Comes out this year I think you would be in the running for hack of the year 2009!

I'd love to be a Beta Tester if thats possible, I have all the time in the world

Starway

Artist and Gamer
    Years
    What caught my interest the most is "New Jersey" (since I was born there) but the game looks good so anyway good luck! ^.^

*Nayz*

a.k.a L_Judah
    Years
    Do I get to ride the ferry across the river to get to Jersey?? (yes I know, lame joke)

I think this looks really good. It's original. I like the tiles especially the roads and the boardwalk you did. I've never really seen anyone do something like that.

Years
    This Hack looks good... i'm suprised your on pokecommunity making hacks instead of being in nintendo and actually making the games =/

the time you took on this hack is whats gonna make this hack probably one of the best pokemon hacks ever made.

whatever you do, don't rush it, take your time, even if it takes another year and make it perfect.

and by the looks of it, i honestly dont think that anyone will be able to top this.

good luck.

btw i won't be playing it sadly, as im going to college very soon so i wont have the time, but i hope to play it in the near future.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
    -Partial Quote removed-
    Thank you for your compliments ^___^ I'm going to do all I can to bring the hack up to a point where it's ready to be released in beta - with luck, you can be playing sooner rather than later :)

*blushes* I know it doesn't look like much for a hack that's been in production since 2004 - though back when I started it, I wasn't even aware things like scripting existed, I was just a teenager having fun with a novel piece of software ^^; Much of what I worked on all those years were sprites and writing the game's script (as in what characters say XD) - it's HARD (for me, at least =P ) coming up with with so many variations on "Let's fight!" "Aww, I lost!" "Buzz off, I'm sulking!" Trainer dialogue, not to mention the main story, certainly eats up time...and I'm not even done with THAT part yet! ^^; I'm primarily a writer of fanfics, so part of my reason for wanting to hack in the first place was to use the medium to tell a story. Plotting and characters are what I work hardest on, and what I hope people come away from this hack remembering once it's done. :)

And now a few brief screenshots:
    Pokémon: New Jersey Quest

Highway shot, showing Floroma Town flowers and demonstrating that Suzie (the female player character) has no regard for her own safety XD Yay for walking on the interstate! =P

What you see after you walk a bit further down the freeway. New Jersey scrub pines (aka Johto headbutt trees) decorate the median here; and Suzie walks under a big exit sign.

2004?? Wow..I wish I knew about hacking back then.
    I absolutely love your perspective on making a hack, which is telling a story. I used to write a cheap storyline and you know, that was it..I used to just make random towns/routes connecting, with random events that have nothing to do with the storyline :\

But now, I started with a Region map BETA, and a storyline for each town. That way progress is steady, and I don't spend most of my time thinking up these things..But enough about meh :P
    I have to agree with you about the trainerdialogue. I mean it's soooo hard for me! I play about 3 hacks and like 2 ROMs to get a general Idea Lol

A highway interstate? Amazing...O_O
    Keep up the excellent work, don't you dare quit this :)

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    You would help me? Really? *feels very humble and flattered* I'd love that, I really would! :) You can see in the most recent screenshots that the main characters have been changed from being Brendan and May to what are basically recolors/slight edits of Red and Green from FRLG, but better looking sprites would always be appreciated. :) I'll take the opportunity here to show some of the sprites that have been made for the game, so you and others can see how I envision the characters looking, and work from there with any improvements you may want to make (or suggest that I make, I am not closed to concrit :) ). I checked out your OWs and Trainer sprites and am impressed - quite a bit of talent on display! (I'm mostly just a splicer and recolor-er...I fail ^^; ) Oh, and if there's anything you want me to do to help out with your hack in return, send a note my way ^^;

Trainers and Fakemon - An Introduction :)
    Please keep in mind that these are BETA images, and some of these sprites are a few years old :) I am well aware of the sucky quality of some of them - and I'm not even posting the worse of the worst ^^; I know that I'm a poor spriter, but I still don't want to be laughed at - I'm offering up the images for the purposes of receiving polite advice, and so those who want to help with the game's spriting can see how I envisioned the character designs :) And some Trainers simply don't have sprites at all yet, so be patient ^^;

Well, of course, the first Trainers you meet are yourself and your rival :)

*lots of quote removed for sake of space*

Wow... lot of stuff there. Definitely an impressive amount of thought here. Okay then, are there any particular sprites you'd like me to start on? Since there are so many options, concentrating on one at a time would be useful.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    To all of you who had lovely compliments - thank you so kindly! ^____^ There are simply too many of you to respond to individually (besides, my posts end up long and rambly enough as it is ^^; ), but your feedback is what inspires me, and I appreciate every bit of it :) Though I think you guys who are saying I should be working at Nintendo or should be in the running for Hack of the Year (when I didn't even get any votes for Hack of the Week XD ) are pushing it a little ^^;

Ruka Prince and ckret2, if you guys still want to help with the sprites...*thinks* Well, the first characters you see in the game are Professor Sycamore (who can't go looking like Birch forever ^^: ), the Player Characters, and the Champion, so they should probably get sprites first. Pictures of the Player Characters' OW, in-battle sprites and "mugshots" can be seen above in an earlier post of mine (scroll up - it's the huge, massive post of doom, you can't miss it XD ). I would really like their outfits and palettes to remain the same (though I'm flexible), though perhaps their OWs could be tweaked a bit so they don't resemble Red and Green so much, since they are pretty much recolors right now (though Suzie has a scarf XD ). Any suggestions of things that could be done to give them a bit of uniqueness will be welcomed happily, and either of you can feel free to PM me for more specific details and to work things out :)

As for Sycamore...I've been debating with the idea of having "him" be a "her" - I always wanted to see a female Professor ^^ Her sprite looks like this:

Eep! She stole Oak's lab coat!...and his arms XD

She does not, however, have an overworld sprite yet, so that's something that would have to be done ^^;

As for the Champion, I've been working on his OW myself, but I'm always open to something better if what I'm doing sucks ^^; Here's how it looks from the front and side:

His messy hair is awesome and oh so fun XD

Now, some new info on the game itself:

I just posted my first fanfic here, and thinking about writing has inspired me to do more things with the game - namely, changing the intro stuff that's exactly the same as what was in the original Ruby, aside for some dialogue tweaks (which themselves have been pretty much unchanged since I was in high school, and that was a VERY long time ago ^^; ). So now...we have a new beginning! Nope, you're no longer a kid who's just moved to Somers Point - you've been living there for quite a while. Rather than starting in a moving truck, that whole little intro has been replaced with something new - you start within one of your own memories, standing on a cliff (though that stupid shaking and those stupid truck noises are still there...)

And that's why she's called Cliff Hanger!

Though it looks like you can go down, in reality, there's nowhere to go but up - an invisible barrier of doom is blocking your way. Head up and you'll see an odd fellow with his back to you, looking out over the clifftop at the stars...

Yay! Champion Sampson has a mugshot now! (I had to pay Byron for modeling services, though ^^; )

He talks a whole bunch of nonsense to a "you" that you cannot see, and then he walks up towards the clifftop.

Tsk tsk, someone needs his mouth washed out with soap.

Sampson rants and raves a bit more, and then, a bright light flashes, and the ground shakes. Something's coming...something big.

It's Ho-oh!

And he does NOT like being called a bastard.

After Ho-oh appears, the screen flashes white again, and when it fades back - you're in your room, safe from any birdy wrath. Here you can take a Donut out of the computer, set your clock, and marevel at the Nintendo product placement. Head downstairs, and your mom will lambast you for doing dangerous, silly things.

She'll stll let you go off on a Pokemon Journey, though. And she has a Skitty at the table with her. Silly, silly woman, that's how germs are spread! Shame on you.

Head over to what was once your rival's house and you'll find no sign of the kid - instead, it's some random family who's just moving in! They serve to provide exposition that had existed in the original intro, but was cut out when the new intro was added.

See, now you know about Pokémorphs. ^^

I hope to release the first gameplay video soon, showing the intro in action and the whole of Somers Point. :)

Arcelio

This was a triumph.
    Years
    I've seen the sprites...I've seen the ideas...I've seen the pictures...and I like it! I live in Jersey, so I really would love to see something like this done. And a game like this opens up doors for so many people that like hacking. Just like how you made a game for NJ, maybe one day somebody'll maka a game for NY?! That would be epic. Can't wait for newscreen shots, a beta, or even plot explanations! I'll take anything and everything! If you ever need a beta tester, I'm your guy for the job!

MizuNeko

Professional Spaziod
    Years
    This hack looks awesome! I can't wait until the first beta comes out!
    I especially like the idea of having different paths based on your decisions. It means the game can end up being different when/if you play it a second time.
    You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but how far along are you up to the first beta? (sorry if this is considered spam, I'm a newbie concerning this site)

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2011
    I am really looking forward for this hack. It looks great. I have a friends inToms River and Lawrenceville who are also looking forward to this hack
    Keep up the good work.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back