• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Odyssey

What do you think to thi sgame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waudby

could anyone tell me when i can download pokemon odyssesy and where to download it from?

ok
    thanks

It's not been released yet and the best way to find out when it's been released is to keep checking back for updates etc.

Or just do it how I did it, and have separate sprites for each item of clothing. That way, you can just layer them on top of each other to get your trainer sprite.

Yeah but to layer some of the clothes it could look tacky like the shirt is longer then the pants and such but the pants would be over gah never mind. Cape? Lances i hope.

That's why you layer them in a certain order...

This is the way I'm doing it, making a base template for each player and then adding the different types of clothing over the top.

Makes light work really.

Everything needs to be based on some sort of template. I'm also making new NPC overworlds etc to differentiate between trainers and regular townsfolk.

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Is there going to be a new device or is it going to be a Pokenav, Pokegear, etc?

Waudby

Is there going to be a new device or is it going to be a Pokenav, Pokegear, etc?

There will be a new device inside the online world, which will allow players to do certain things like interact with others etc etc as well as save their position in the online world and return at a later date.

Radnen

Pokemon Odyssey Network Monkey
    Years
  • as well as save their position in the online world and return at a later date.

We can't do that. Because we are not using a dedicated server and others have to host the games, its better that when they join, they just join right at the entrance.

Hauyser

http://hauyser.deviant.com/
    Years
  • *Sighs* Finally! Wow that was a read, I hate being new to topics. Well this is coming along nicely Waudby, I'm liking the idea of the network ID so randoms can't enter private rooms.

;)

Hauyser

http://hauyser.deviant.com/
    Years
  • Aha but then you have to edit on the hair which could be a bit of pain and sprite every haircut to every color perfectly.

That wouldn't take long, the hair sprites would be fairly small which is a about 2-5 minutes each.

Edit: Probably even quicker than 2-5 minutes each...

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    One you have one hairstyle color done, the rest is a simple colour swap which could be done in three seconds with even MS paint, Pokémon sprites only have about three colours, it takes longer figuring out what colour you want to make it than the actual replacing costs.

Waudby

We can't do that. Because we are not using a dedicated server and others have to host the games, its better that when they join, they just join right at the entrance.

Well what I mean is, that the host player will always start from where he left off, so for instance, if, you and myself play and i'm hosting, then when I leave it remembers where I was in the online world so that if I host again it starts me off there, if not, it starts me off where the host starts.

It would kinda be like fable 2's multiplayer of you have seen that? Basically anyone can join YOUR online world, and help you out.

*Sighs* Finally! Wow that was a read, I hate being new to topics. Well this is coming along nicely Waudby, I'm liking the idea of the network ID so randoms can't enter private rooms.

;)

Thanks for the inspiring comment. And I like your sig ;)

One you have one hairstyle color done, the rest is a simple colour swap which could be done in three seconds with even MS paint, Pokémon sprites only have about three colours, it takes longer figuring out what colour you want to make it than the actual replacing costs.

Yeah this is how the work is being done, the hair colours aren't to extravagant at the moment just the standard kinda colours. Hopefully i'll be able to show more when I complete the spritesets.

Radnen

Years
  • Well what I mean is, that the host player will always start from where he left off, so for instance, if, you and myself play and i'm hosting, then when I leave it remembers where I was in the online world so that if I host again it starts me off there, if not, it starts me off where the host starts.

It would kinda be like fable 2's multiplayer of you have seen that? Basically anyone can join YOUR online world, and help you out.

I have Fable 2, but haven't played online with another yet. I see what you mean though. Yeah, we can do that. I was kinda saying that this game really isn't a MMORPG (kyledoves game is full of trojans and stuff, so I haven't tried it (Damn Zango)).

And for those worried about the sprites in the game, it won't take too long. We can cut the time down more than half by making a hair style, or clothing style separately and having the Sphere engine color swap them. We won't be making 15000 variations of scarfs, hats, clothes, and what-not, leave that to the stone age.

With 10 sprites, 8 animation directions each (running, walking, swimming, etc...) , and 15 colors, with 8 hairstyles, and 10 other clothing options, the variations come out as 96,000 possibilities. (10*8*15*8*10)

Which come out as 384,000 frames. (9.6e4*4)

If each frame took 4 minutes to draw (3.84e5*4/60/24/365): It would take 2.92 YEARS to draw (completely non-stop 24/7, includes holidays).

But lets say we take out the colormasking. And have 5 sprites instead.

It would come out to (5*8*8*10) 3,200 possibilities.
    12,800 frames.

Which would take about 35 days to draw (non-stop, if each frame took 4 minutes).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I was kinda saying that this game really isn't a MMORPG (kyledoves game is full of trojans and stuff, so I haven't tried it (Damn Zango)).

With 10 sprites, 8 animation directions each (running, walking, swimming, etc...) , and 15 colors, with 8 hairstyles, and 10 other clothing options, the variations come out as 96,000 possibilities. (10*8*15*8*10)
    I'm sure Kyledove's isn't out yet; are you confusing it with a different one?

And why aren't the clothing etc sprites made separately, and layered onto each other in the engine? That would make the total 10 x 8 + 8 x 8 + 10 x 8, which is 224. 224 sprites, with 3 frames each (the third frame is a duplicate of the first), would be 672. Well under your projected 12800, and plus it has 10 basic sprites (body shape? not sure what you meant...).
    I can't really say how long that would take, as you have to consider that some things would just be C+Ped. However, assuming 4 minutes for each frame, that's 2688 minutes, which is just over 43 hours (less than 2 days).

Waudby

I'm sure Kyledove's isn't out yet; are you confusing it with a different one?

And why aren't the clothing etc sprites made separately, and layered onto each other in the engine? That would make the total 10 x 8 + 8 x 8 + 10 x 8, which is 224. 224 sprites, with 3 frames each (the third frame is a duplicate of the first), would be 672. Well under your projected 12800, and plus it has 10 basic sprites (body shape? not sure what you meant...).
    I can't really say how long that would take, as you have to consider that some things would just be C+Ped. However, assuming 4 minutes for each frame, that's 2688 minutes, which is just over 43 hours (less than 2 days).

well i think Radnen's calculations were off anyway. i get this.

8 different sprites, 6 hair colours, 4 different hair styles, each with running, cycling, surfing, saving, and other sets as well.

i don't know the exact number, but it will take aslong as it does :P

Radnen

Years
  • I'm sure Kyledove's isn't out yet; are you confusing it with a different one?

Then there's a serious problem here. There is another game posing as a free pokemon MMORPG that uses the same exact graphical layout as kyledoves. You'll see what I mean when you see it's banner come across the forums (at the top). Click on it and look at the screens of it. It's... very tempting to download. But don't do it.

I would post a link, but I can't. :/

And why aren't the clothing etc sprites made separately, and layered onto each other in the engine?

? I don't understand this part. If it's legs and shirts and shoes I never added those into the calc. I was going under the permisis of 10 body sprites (not shapes, these include hair, shoes, shirts, but no variations of these really), and 15 hair styles, no junk in between. And I do see the error with 4 frames, as because one is a copy.

Bodys: 8(sprites)*4(directions)*3(frames)*8(actions)*4(minutes) = 3072 min.
    Hairs: 4(sprites)*4(directions)*3(frames)*8(actions)*4(minutes) = 384 min.

Subtotal: 3072+384 = 3456 minutes.

So it'll really take approximately: 57.6 hours (2.6 days) with waudby's data.

Which means if we worked on this for 3 months, that should handle all of the overworld sprites. Realisticly, we would work at a snails pace.

Last edited:

Waudby

There's an update over at the Pokémon Odyssey Forums.

It has a few details about the character creation system as well as the region map for Everglade.

I've also upgraded the forums to use the vBulletin systems so the updates are easily to post here and there.

Please register at the forums and post your views here or there I don't mind :P

www.spheredev.org/~waudby/forums

Enjoy~

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    There's an update over at the Pokémon Odyssey Forums.

It has a few details about the character creation system as well as the region map for Everglade.

I've also upgraded the forums to use the vBulletin systems so the updates are easily to post here and there.

Please register at the forums and post your views here or there I don't mind :P

www.spheredev.org/~waudby/forums

Enjoy~

Quick, put the link in your signature instead so you don't get infracted :P

EDIT: And gogo similar region maps :D

Waudby

woah, do we get infractured for the slightist of things

we also get infracted for posting pointless messages :P

so what are people's opinions on the sprite style I've gone with for the hero/heroine?

Should I update all my npc's with this style?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back