• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't replied for a while, was out of town for work. I've got good news regarding the Citra guide; using Raumi7's method I've got everything working properly with Citra, so I'll get a full guide (complete with step-by-step instructions and images) up either later today or tomorrow. I'll make patches for the game updates so that you'll only need to manually build the ROM itself, and that way you won't need to download Asia81's tool.

I'm also planning to have another update for the rebalanced versions of the hack uploaded with the guide, which will make Sucker Punch a TM, restore the original tutor moves (as the edited ones don't work), include some of the Pokemon changes suggested by Raumi, and add a few of the new level up moves from the Let's Go games. This will likely be the last content update for the hack for a while (except for bug fixes), as I want to mess around with the Emerald decompilation instead. If you feel that a certain Pokemon could use some improvements, now is the time to mention it!

Also, thank you all for figuring out how to get the hack working with Citra!

Fantastic news to hear! Can't wait for the guide! This shouldn't require a new game right? Like the save is compatible always I assume. Otherwise I aint catching Bagon today :P.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Now that you mention it, I think some Pokemon could use improvements:
Spoiler:

Hi, Buffel Saft.
This message is to show that I've already stopped to adding more and more suggestions, editing my messages. I believe I have finished everything I had in my head. I've rethought and meditated on each of these ideas, I have tried to avoid infidelity with the pokedex and looked for as much help as possible for those pokemon who needed it so much.
I appreciate so much that you take the trouble to read me.

Spoiler:
Thanks for the suggestions! Quite a few of these will make it into the next update, which is almost done. It wound up taking longer than expected, but it'll definitely be up in the next few days.

Fantastic news to hear! Can't wait for the guide! This shouldn't require a new game right? Like the save is compatible always I assume. Otherwise I aint catching Bagon today :P.
Yeah, the save will always be compatible. It'll even work with the vanilla game (though most of your Pokemon from the hack will be illegal in vanilla).

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
Thanks for the suggestions! Quite a few of these will make it into the next update, which is almost done. It wound up taking longer than expected, but it'll definitely be up in the next few days.

Yeah, the save will always be compatible. It'll even work with the vanilla game (though most of your Pokemon from the hack will be illegal in vanilla).

Excellent to hear! Can't wait to 'update' my game to make everything work as intended. First things first, need to catch that Bagon through Island Scan, not hard just tedious to get 10 scans first haha.

Can't wait :)!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 2, 2023

I'm almost forgetting a Shore Up-Gigalith, a 100 or 110 PS MegaCamerupt, and a Cosmic Power-Slack Off-Power Trip and better defensive stats on Guzzord. All lake trio (Mesprit, Uxie and Azelf) - Comatose

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 25, 2023
As many people are making suggestions for the rebalanced version (most of them I share) here are a couple more:

Delcatty and Skitty should be Fairy as Granbull is. Maybe its ability can be Pixilate to have some use. Luvdisc Water Fairy also make sense. Maybe the electric rodents such as Pluse, Minun and Pachirisu can be fairy type too, although this can be a disadvantage for Dedenne.

Glalie seems to be demon, so it can be Ice Dark type. Crunch stab would be also useful.

Also, Volbeat coulb de Bug Electric instead of Bug Fairy.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 2, 2023
As many people are making suggestions for the rebalanced version (most of them I share) here are a couple more:

Delcatty and Skitty should be Fairy as Granbull is. Maybe its ability can be Pixilate to have some use. Luvdisc Water Fairy also make sense. Maybe the electric rodents such as Pluse, Minun and Pachirisu can be fairy type too, although this can be a disadvantage for Dedenne.

Glalie seems to be demon, so it can be Ice Dark type. Crunch stab would be also useful.

I'm totally in love with these suggestions. Makes Pachirisu an physical attacker Electric-Fairy would not overshadow Dedenne. And while I would not think of Plusle and Minum the type fairy, it occurred to me that these could have the Aurora Beam movement of 70 (even 75 or 80) power.
This would be justified in that the origin of the Aurora Borealis is a product of the interaction between the electrons of solar radiation and some gas molecules in the atmosphere.

And Illumise deserves too Tail Glow, both (Vobeat and Illumise) surely deserve Parabolic Beam, Discharge and the same SpAtk.

P.D: Buffel Saft, please, can you check one last time my message on Photonic Sun/Prismatic Moon post? My apologizes.

EDIT:
Fell Stinger is perfect for Technician bugs *screams internally* ;D, Seed Bomb could seed the target and Tapu Bulu must learn Play Rough.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024

I'll include some of these changes in the next update (definitely including the Luvdisc and Volbeat changes, will consider the others too), but I want to get the current update up immediately so they won't be in the games just yet. Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm totally in love with these suggestions. Makes Pachirisu an Electric-Fairy would not overshadow Dedenne. And while I would not think of Plusle and Minum the type fairy, it occurred to me that these could have the Aurora Beam movement of 70 (even 75 or 80) power.
This would be justified in that the origin of the Aurora Borealis is a product of the interaction between the electrons of solar radiation and some gas molecules in the atmosphere.

And Illumise deserves too Tail Glow, both (Vobeat and Illumise) surely deserve Parabolic Beam, Discharge and the same SpAtk.

P.D: Buffel Saft, please, can you check one last time my message on Photonic Sun/Prismatic Moon post? My apologizes.

100% agreed on Aurora Beam; funnily enough Aurora Beam for Electric types is something I've been planning to add to Emerald, though I'd want to make it a tutor move rather than something they learn by level up. As above the other changes will be considered for the next update.
And don't worry, I've read your post through multiple times :smile:.

Speaking of the update, it's uploaded now. I don't have a full changelog yet, but the major changes are as follows:
  • A step-by-step install guide for Citra users and a set of patches for the game updates are now available.
  • Many more Pokemon type, stat and movepool changes have been made. Though I haven't included every suggestion, I did consider all of them and may add more in later updates. All changes should be in the documents.
  • The Sucker Punch and Natural Gift tutors have been reverted, as they didn't work.
  • TM59 Brutal Swing now teaches Sucker Punch instead.
  • Several moves have been improved, including Steel Wing, Power Gem, Needle Arm and Explosion.
  • The Big Root item now increases HP stolen by 100% instead of 30%, making it actually worth using.

If you have any questions or find any problems - especially with the Citra guide - please let me know and I'll do my best to help you. It's worth mentioning that I haven't tested the Ultra Sun update files with Citra yet, though they work perfectly on 3DS, and I found no problems with Ultra Moon on either platform, so hopefully Ultra Sun will be fine too.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 4, 2023
I'll include some of these changes in the next update (definitely including the Luvdisc and Volbeat changes, will consider the others too), but I want to get the current update up immediately so they won't be in the games just yet. Thanks for the suggestions!

100% agreed on Aurora Beam; funnily enough Aurora Beam for Electric types is something I've been planning to add to Emerald, though I'd want to make it a tutor move rather than something they learn by level up. As above the other changes will be considered for the next update.
And don't worry, I've read your post through multiple times :smile:.

Speaking of the update, it's uploaded now. I don't have a full changelog yet, but the major changes are as follows:
  • A step-by-step install guide for Citra users and a set of patches for the game updates are now available.
  • Many more Pokemon type, stat and movepool changes have been made. Though I haven't included every suggestion, I did consider all of them and may add more in later updates. All changes should be in the documents.
  • The Sucker Punch and Natural Gift tutors have been reverted, as they didn't work.
  • TM59 Brutal Swing now teaches Sucker Punch instead.
  • Several moves have been improved, including Steel Wing, Power Gem, Needle Arm and Explosion.
  • The Big Root item now increases HP stolen by 100% instead of 30%, making it actually worth using.

If you have any questions or find any problems - especially with the Citra guide - please let me know and I'll do my best to help you. It's worth mentioning that I haven't tested the Ultra Sun update files with Citra yet, though they work perfectly on 3DS, and I found no problems with Ultra Moon on either platform, so hopefully Ultra Sun will be fine too.

Hey, once again thanks for all the changes in the Citra guide, however I can't get it work, I wrote a private message explaining a few things, so hopefully you can check that out :). Will hopefully soon have more time to continue playing!

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
I tried following the Citra guide, but got stuck in the last step because I have the 1.2 Region free cia update and not the EU/USA update. The Delta Patcher is throwing an error for checksum mismatch for that file.

Without the patch applied, the features that are not working in the ROM hack are - Pokemon stat, ability changes and mart items.

Can you please upload the xdelta file for Region free cia update?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hey, once again thanks for all the changes in the Citra guide, however I can't get it work, I wrote a private message explaining a few things, so hopefully you can check that out :). Will hopefully soon have more time to continue playing!
Hey, it seems you're running into the same problem as Paras16699 so I'll answer your message here too as it's probably going to be a common issue.

I tried following the Citra guide, but got stuck in the last step because I have the 1.2 Region free cia update and not the EU/USA update. The Delta Patcher is throwing an error for checksum mismatch for that file.

Without the patch applied, the features that are not working in the ROM hack are - Pokemon stat, ability changes and mart items.

Can you please upload the xdelta file for Region free cia update?

Sorry about that last step not working, I was hoping people's uploads of the update would just be direct dumps from a 3DS and not the region free versions. There are a few options for fixing this:
  1. I make patches for the region free update cia
  2. I remove the checksum on the patch files and we see if they work with the region free updates
  3. I modify the guide to explain how to build the 'hacked' update
Option one or two would be the easiest solution, but I'd need you guys to help me test them. I'd prefer to avoid option three as that's just a hassle for everyone.

Also, are you 100% sure the Pokemon changes aren't working? They should be unaffected by the patch as they're all part of a/0/1/7, which wasn't replaced by the update. How are you checking that whether or not they're working?

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
There are a few options for fixing this:
  1. I make patches for the region free update cia
  2. I remove the checksum on the patch files and we see if they work with the region free updates
  3. I modify the guide to explain how to build the 'hacked' update
Option one or two would be the easiest solution, but I'd need you guys to help me test them. I'd prefer to avoid option three as that's just a hassle for everyone.

Also, are you 100% sure the Pokemon changes aren't working? They should be unaffected by the patch as they're all part of a/0/1/7, which wasn't replaced by the update. How are you checking that whether or not they're working?

I would also prefer Option 1. Option 2 won't work because I tried disabling the "Verify Checksum" option in the Delta Lite. It generates a patched cia, but causes Citra to crash on boot.

----

I tested the Pokemon and ability changes by adding Pokemon in the game using PkHex. These were the results on adding Lvl 100 Vikavolt and Golduck into the game:

• Vikavolt had its old slow speed (I checked the stat numbers using the Showdown Damage Calculator)
  • Golduck had the Water/Psychic typing which means the type change is working, but it's ability still shows Damp, which was supposed to be Tough Claws as changed in the hack.

The move changes are working perfectly fine. I checked Water Pulse, Gear Grind, Tail Slap and a few more and they all had the new changes showing up fine.

Edit: On a side note, I feel that Primarina should have Water Bubble as one of its ability. It makes sense with its evolution lines making water bubbles and even its special z-move is a water bubble itself..

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I would also prefer Option 1. Option 2 won't work because I tried disabling the "Verify Checksum" option in the Delta Lite. It generates a patched cia, but causes Citra to crash on boot.

----

I tested the Pokemon and ability changes by adding Pokemon in the game using PkHex. These were the results on adding Lvl 100 Vikavolt and Golduck into the game:

• Vikavolt had its old slow speed (I checked the stat numbers using the Showdown Damage Calculator)
  • Golduck had the Water/Psychic typing which means the type change is working, but it's ability still shows Damp, which was supposed to be Tough Claws as changed in the hack.

The move changes are working perfectly fine. I checked Water Pulse, Gear Grind, Tail Slap and a few more and they all had the new changes showing up fine.

Edit: On a side note, I feel that Primarina should have Water Bubble as one of its ability. It makes sense with its evolution lines making water bubbles and even its special z-move is a water bubble itself..
Right, Option One it is! I'll get patches for those uploaded tomorrow, I don't have time tonight unfortunately.

I think PkHex is the problem here; the game stores a Pokemon's ability as the ability itself, as opposed to ability one or two, so a Golduck with Damp in PkHex will still have Damp in the hack (this is why the old hacked Wonder Guard Spiritombs worked). If you add Golduck with Cloud Nine into the game and use an ability capsule on it that should give it Tough Claws. I'm not 100% sure why Vikavolt is still slow, but if it's in your party it will need to be placed in the PC before the game will update its stats to match the hack values.

Primarina with Water Bubble kinda fits (I think the bubbles need to be attached to the Pokemon itself for the ability to make sense, but I see what you mean), but it's ridiculously strong:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 446-528 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (it also OHKOs if it's raining)
I've made some pretty strong changes to a few Pokemon but that one's a bit too much in my opinion.

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
Right, Option One it is! I'll get patches for those uploaded tomorrow, I don't have time tonight unfortunately.

I think PkHex is the problem here; the game stores a Pokemon's ability as the ability itself, as opposed to ability one or two, so a Golduck with Damp in PkHex will still have Damp in the hack (this is why the old hacked Wonder Guard Spiritombs worked). If you add Golduck with Cloud Nine into the game and use an ability capsule on it that should give it Tough Claws. I'm not 100% sure why Vikavolt is still slow, but if it's in your party it will need to be placed in the PC before the game will update its stats to match the hack values.

Primarina with Water Bubble kinda fits (I think the bubbles need to be attached to the Pokemon itself for the ability to make sense, but I see what you mean), but it's ridiculously strong:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Water Bubble Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey: 446-528 (62.4 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (it also OHKOs if it's raining)
I've made some pretty strong changes to a few Pokemon but that one's a bit too much in my opinion.

No problem. Thanks a lot for your quick responses.

You are right about both Vikavolt and Primarina.

I deposited that Vikavolt in the box and the buffed stats showed up fine.

Didn't expect Primarina to be that strong with that ability. It would go straight into Ubers.. :laugh-squinted:

Haven't checked out the ability change yet with the Golduck but I assume that should also work fine with the ability capsule.

Though, one question is - Can you make the ability capsules work with hidden abilities? For eg: having a Multiscale Milotic would be an absolute delight but catching one would be a nightmare.

It would be so much better if Ability Capsules worked with Hidden abilities as well..

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 4, 2019
hey there, i was wondering if there's any way to use sciresM's no outline patch with these games? i noticed they already come with a code.ips so i wasnt sure if there was a way to add a second code or?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
No problem. Thanks a lot for your quick responses.

You are right about both Vikavolt and Primarina.

I deposited that Vikavolt in the box and the buffed stats showed up fine.

Didn't expect Primarina to be that strong with that ability. It would go straight into Ubers.. :laugh-squinted:

Haven't checked out the ability change yet with the Golduck but I assume that should also work fine with the ability capsule.

Though, one question is - Can you make the ability capsules work with hidden abilities? For eg: having a Multiscale Milotic would be an absolute delight but catching one would be a nightmare.

It would be so much better if Ability Capsules worked with Hidden abilities as well..
Yeah if the other two changes are showing Golduck should be fine too, glad that wasn't a problem with the hack.

Water Bubble is a pretty crazy ability :laugh-squinted:

I wish I could do that to ability capsules but unfortunately that's beyond my capabilities.

hey there, i was wondering if there's any way to use sciresM's no outline patch with these games? i noticed they already come with a code.ips so i wasnt sure if there was a way to add a second code or?
Hey! There is definitely a way to use both, but how to do so depends on whether you're playing on citra or a 3DS.

The code.ips files sciresM and I made are just patches for a code.bin file; you can apply both patches to a code.bin from one of the game updates and they should work just fine together. There are code.bin files in the hack's Google drive which should already have the hack's changes applied to them, so you can use lunar ips to apply scirseM's patch to one of those.

Luma (assuming you're playing on 3DS?) will accept either a code.bin or code.ips file, but not both. Once you've patched the code.bin place it where the code.ips was on your SD card and delete the code.ips.

If you're using citra it's a little more complicated, but I can explain the process if you want.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hey,

Any update on those Region Free patch files?
Hey, I've just uploaded them now. I built region free .cia files from the PAL region ones I had, so hopefully they'll match the region free ones available online and the patches will work. If not I'll try something else tomorrow.

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
I tried creating the patch file with the Delta Patcher but this time, it shows the error "source file too short", though, it creates the Patch file.

On installing that patched cia, the icons for the Ultra Sun disappears and it says "Invalid Region" in the Region column (in Citra).

The game is booting up fine, though, the shop changes aren't visible (checked the 2nd clerk in the Hau'oli City Pokemart and he's selling all the X items instead of Power items as documented)

One question - Do I have to run the patch with both v1.1 and v1.2 and then install them one by one OR first install v1.1 update, then run the patch with v1.2 and install the patched v1.2?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I tried creating the patch file with the Delta Patcher but this time, it shows the error "source file too short", though, it creates the Patch file.

On installing that patched cia, the icons for the Ultra Sun disappears and it says "Invalid Region" in the Region column (in Citra).

The game is booting up fine, though, the shop changes aren't visible (checked the 2nd clerk in the Hau'oli City Pokemart and he's selling all the X items instead of Power items as documented)

One question - Do I have to run the patch with both v1.1 and v1.2 and then install them one by one OR first install v1.1 update, then run the patch with v1.2 and install the patched v1.2?

Ah sorry, it seems I didn't build the region free updates properly; the patches aren't working because I tried to build a region free update from a PAL update, which apparently doesn't work. I'll try a few more things tomorrow but can't do anymore tonight.

You don't need the 1.1 update; all the changes in that are also in 1.2.

Sorry for all the hassle, I was hoping that would work.

EDIT: I'm going to give up on the patch idea for the updates, at least for now. However, I've updated the Citra guide to explain the editing process for the update, so you'll be able to build a working one yourself with any version of it. It's a tedious process but it's much more likely to work.

Last edited:

Paras16699

Paras Shah
Years
EDIT: I'm going to give up on the patch idea for the updates, at least for now. However, I've updated the Citra guide to explain the editing process for the update, so you'll be able to build a working one yourself with any version of it. It's a tedious process but it's much more likely to work.

Wasn't much of a hassle and works like a charm. Checked the mart in the Hau'oli City 2nd clerk and now he has got the Power items and not those old X battle items.

Btw, just wanted to let you know that this one's the best of all the USUM hacks out there. Thanks a lot!

Back