• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    I'm looking for a Dartrix in the Vast Poni Canyon but in both patches of grass I only find Torracat. Can someone else confirm this?

I'm playing Photonic Sun Rebalanced :)

I managed to find it :D
    If anyone else is also looking for it, it should be found in the grass located to the right of the location shown in the screenshot present in the documentation (there's also a black belt trainer next to it).

When you follow the story and enter the canyon, you will find 2 patches of grass (before the ones referenced in the screenshot) where Torracat is.

That for the great hack. I'm having a lot of fun! :D

Yeah, I was looking for Torracat myself and it seems that the patches are actually reversed from what they're listed as. Found a good dozen Dartrix before I thought to check the other patches.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Also just noticed Paniola Town is missing from the Wild Pokemon Locations document. Is the fishing spot there unchanged in terms of encounters? Normally it's just Magikarp or Barboach there.
    I don't see Hau'oli City's surf table listed either. Nvm found that under a different section oops.
    Yeah it's unchanged, think I completely forgot it has wild encounters. There's not much else I'd put there though, maybe Wooper or Poliwag.
    I'm looking for a Dartrix in the Vast Poni Canyon but in both patches of grass I only find Torracat. Can someone else confirm this?

I'm playing Photonic Sun Rebalanced :)

I managed to find it :D
    If anyone else is also looking for it, it should be found in the grass located to the right of the location shown in the screenshot present in the documentation (there's also a black belt trainer next to it).

When you follow the story and enter the canyon, you will find 2 patches of grass (before the ones referenced in the screenshot) where Torracat is.

That for the great hack. I'm having a lot of fun! :D
    Looking at the documents I haven't provided a map of which grass patches are which for Vast Poni Canyon, so I'll add a note to clarify that. Thanks for pointing this out and sharing the solution - I've forgotten which patches are which by now, so that's very helpful!
    Glad you're enjoying the hack!

Also, I'm currently uploading an update for the hacks that adds the requested Pokemon and move changes from the last few pages of the thread, adds Mina's team to the documents, and hopefully fixes the berry pile issue. I haven't tested the berry piles yet, but if they're still entirely Crabrawler after this I'll find space in the grass for the Pokemon that are exclusive to them.

The updated Pokemon home move pools aren't ready yet, but I'll try to get them done next weekend.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    Amazing, I'm downloading the patch and installing. Berry piles worked. At least I found a Volbeat in Route 5, and lots and lots of crabrawlers. But the thing is that it was impossible to change the pokemon selected. And after one week checking every pile, I didn't saw another pokemon than crabrawler, and Volbeat in Route 5. It's a shame, but I don't think it was designed to use with two or three pokemons. It's extremely tedious and you only can soft reset to see if the pile was a wild encounter or not. But, after like 40 resets, couldn't change the wild pokemon that appeared.

BTW, I was wondering, is possible to edit the shops on the festival plaza? Or you can't because it's tied to the online aspect of the game?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Amazing, I'm downloading the patch and installing. Berry piles worked. At least I found a Volbeat in Route 5, and lots and lots of crabrawlers. But the thing is that it was impossible to change the pokemon selected. And after one week checking every pile, I didn't saw another pokemon than crabrawler, and Volbeat in Route 5. It's a shame, but I don't think it was designed to use with two or three pokemons. It's extremely tedious and you only can soft reset to see if the pile was a wild encounter or not. But, after like 40 resets, couldn't change the wild pokemon that appeared.

BTW, I was wondering, is possible to edit the shops on the festival plaza? Or you can't because it's tied to the online aspect of the game?
    Awesome, glad that's working. Guess the berries can only spawn the first Pokemon in their encounter lists.

It's probably possible to edit those shops, but I have no idea where they'd be located. Is there something in particular you wanted to see changed about them?

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    Also, I'm currently uploading an update for the hacks that adds the requested Pokemon and move changes from the last few pages of the thread, adds Mina's team to the documents, and hopefully fixes the berry pile issue. I haven't tested the berry piles yet, but if they're still entirely Crabrawler after this I'll find space in the grass for the Pokemon that are exclusive to them.

I can't help but wonder if it'd be easier to put Crabrawler somewhere else, and make the berry piles 100% non-crabrawlers? The idea of each berry pile having a dif mon is awesome. There's still a couple berry piles with just Crabrawler in them (Route 17 and Ula'ula Beach) but they're rather late game... wonder if you could put Crabrawler in the Berry Fields pile, or if that's not possible since it doesn't already have possible encounters.

There's also a (possibly unedited?) berry pile on Route 3 that isn't listed on the documentation. Maybe move Cherubi there and have the route 2 one be guaranteed Crabrawlers, and make the rest 100% whatever non-Crabrawler mon is in them (Burmy on Route 4, Aipom on Route 8, Pachirisu on Route 10, Shuckle on Route 16 and Poni Wilds). Could even move something like Munchlax into one of the later-game trees with only Crabrawlers (route 17, ula'ula beach). Illumise/Volbeat would be a problem though.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    Awesome, glad that's working. Guess the berries can only spawn the first Pokemon in their encounter lists.

It's probably possible to edit those shops, but I have no idea where they'd be located. Is there something in particular you wanted to see changed about them?

I was thinking about making them in a more completed way, so you can have the best choices from shops of sun and moon in the same place. For example you have a Pokemon Moon shop and you can reset some evs. And you need another one from Sun in order to reset every ev. Sorry if my explanation is bad as always, English isn't my main language lol

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I can't help but wonder if it'd be easier to put Crabrawler somewhere else, and make the berry piles 100% non-crabrawlers? The idea of each berry pile having a dif mon is awesome. There's still a couple berry piles with just Crabrawler in them (Route 17 and Ula'ula Beach) but they're rather late game... wonder if you could put Crabrawler in the Berry Fields pile, or if that's not possible since it doesn't already have possible encounters.

There's also a (possibly unedited?) berry pile on Route 3 that isn't listed on the documentation. Maybe move Cherubi there and have the route 2 one be guaranteed Crabrawlers, and make the rest 100% whatever non-Crabrawler mon is in them (Burmy on Route 4, Aipom on Route 8, Pachirisu on Route 10, Shuckle on Route 16 and Poni Wilds). Could even move something like Munchlax into one of the later-game trees with only Crabrawlers (route 17, ula'ula beach). Illumise/Volbeat would be a problem though.
    Yeah that's more or less what I did to fix the berry pile problem, all berry trees are just one species now (though Cherubi wound up in the grass; might go with your suggestion and move it to Route 3's berry pile). With Volbeat and Illumise I just had Illumise appear as an SOS ally for Volbeat, though it should probably be the other way around.

I was thinking about making them in a more completed way, so you can have the best choices from shops of sun and moon in the same place. For example you have a Pokemon Moon shop and you can reset some evs. And you need another one from Sun in order to reset every ev. Sorry if my explanation is bad as always, English isn't my main language lol
    Ah right, so just have the version exclusive shops show up in both versions? Don't worry about your English, I always know what you mean so it's not that bad.

Is there a documentation of all wild Pokemon?
    Yup, it's in the documents folder on the hack's google drive, which you can find by following the download link in the main post.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    Ah right, so just have the version exclusive shops show up in both versions? Don't worry about your English, I always know what you mean so it's not that bad.

Maybe with an example I'm more clear: Instead of having 3 bouncy houses, and each one has only two courses on different grades, so or you make your plaza almost an ev course, how about having all six courses in the same facility? Maybe one facility have lesser grades on the six course, and another one is totally broken with all the 6 OP courses of tmthe three shops but only in one shop.

Maybe it's too broken?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Maybe with an example I'm more clear: Instead of having 3 bouncy houses, and each one has only two courses on different grades, so or you make your plaza almost an ev course, how about having all six courses in the same facility? Maybe one facility have lesser grades on the six course, and another one is totally broken with all the 6 OP courses of tmthe three shops but only in one shop.

Maybe it's too broken?
    Oh I see, I think that'd be easier to do with a save edit than a ROM hack. I'd have to change the code that prevents you from having multiples of one facility, and that sort of edit is beyond me on the 3DS unfortunately.

Definitely wouldn't be broken though, EV training is very fast in USUM.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    Maybe an odd request but have you considered replacing Sheer Force on Mawile with Strong Jaw? I know you've already switched Hyper Cutter for Huge Power but I feel that with the vast majority of Mawile's Sheer Force compatible moves being special it's not exactly the most viable user of Sheer Force, while with Strong Jaw it now gets access to Psychic Fangs in addition to all three elemental fangs plus Crunch.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Maybe an odd request but have you considered replacing Sheer Force on Mawile with Strong Jaw? I know you've already switched Hyper Cutter for Huge Power but I feel that with the vast majority of Mawile's Sheer Force compatible moves being special it's not exactly the most viable user of Sheer Force, while with Strong Jaw it now gets access to Psychic Fangs in addition to all three elemental fangs plus Crunch.
    I did consider that at one point, but IMO Sheer Force is much better than Strong Jaw for Mawile; it boosts Iron Head, Play Rough, Fire Fang, Ice Punch, Crunch... etc. - pretty much all of Mawile's best moves except Sucker Punch. No Life Orb recoil is nice too.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    I did consider that at one point, but IMO Sheer Force is much better than Strong Jaw for Mawile; it boosts Iron Head, Play Rough, Fire Fang, Ice Punch, Crunch... etc. - pretty much all of Mawile's best moves except Sucker Punch. No Life Orb recoil is nice too.

Fair enough. On a related note, have you thought to make Contrary a standard ability for Spinda? Though I'm not sure which of its abilities you'd switch it with since both combo nicely with Thrash. I also can't recall for certain if you gave it Superpower or not, it only was available through the Dream World in Gen V but it's about the best move to combo with Contrary. Psycho Boost would also be a good choice for that. All in all I guess what I'm asking is if there's anything that can be done to buff Spinda beyond just the stat buff you gave it, it came to mind after I got one of the Dream World Spinda from the Wonder Box.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Fair enough. On a related note, have you thought to make Contrary a standard ability for Spinda? Though I'm not sure which of its abilities you'd switch it with since both combo nicely with Thrash. I also can't recall for certain if you gave it Superpower or not, it only was available through the Dream World in Gen V but it's about the best move to combo with Contrary. Psycho Boost would also be a good choice for that. All in all I guess what I'm asking is if there's anything that can be done to buff Spinda beyond just the stat buff you gave it, it came to mind after I got one of the Dream World Spinda from the Wonder Box.
    I wanted to keep hidden abilities hidden in this hack just to keep things simple; I know it's a huge pain SOS chaining for them, but it makes it a lot easier for me to keep track of the what the enemy trainers are using across both versions if the ability slots are consistent between them (apart from the modified ones of course). Also it helps to avoid confusion over which abilities are which when using ability capsules and finding/breeding Pokemon.

Spinda's definitely got Superpower, but it gets it way too late into the game - I'll fix that in the next update. Psycho Boost is a good idea, might as well give that to it too. Not sure what else could be done to buff it beyond giving it even more stat buffs though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Alright, after a painful journey lasting for about half a year (or 4?), I guess I have finally made my way to Alola. Guess the most important thing for me is to try to wrap my head around how to use the starters then.

- I noticed that the hidden abilities are actually hidden this time around, so the one I picked at the start are not going to have those. While I'm willing to endure SOS chaining for other mons, for the purpose of not annoying myself with not being able to use my picked buddy, I'm just going to cheat those HA in for them. The following texts will assume that HAs are available.

- From my basic understanding of totem battles being really scary battles with lots of unfair automatic stat boosts, I am going to say that Incineroar is gonna be my main pick of choice as a dedicated debuffing mon, which is kinda an unusual way to use a starter. The combination of Intimidate + Parting Shot + Fake Out + Knock Off, besides being useful support tools in doubles (which I assume is going to be a thing given how EXWY goes), should probably be pretty good in dulling most of the attack powers from totem mons and deleting their Lum Berries for another support mon to setup even more status effects, like paralysis or burn.

- For the sake of amusement and exercising my PMD-related fantasy, I'm going to cheat in a Popplio besides Litten at the start of the game. The addition of Recover does suggest that Primarina would serve decently as a generic bulky attacker with 3 attacks + Recover, packing quite some power behind her attacks too with the Sparkling Aura buff, nice typing and her great Spatk. Lack of useful ability seems to be her biggest downside here (haha Liquid Voice), and I do kinda wonder if it's going to harm her much in the whole bulky attacker deal.

- As I simply love Serperior too much, I'm not going to use Decidueye. I guess that he's kinda decent though, for finally gaining the speed and extra coverage move that he really needed. Overgrow is the ability of choice, since Long Reach and Liquid Voice are kinda about as useful as Delphox's Magician.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    Oh I see, I think that'd be easier to do with a save edit than a ROM hack. I'd have to change the code that prevents you from having multiples of one facility, and that sort of edit is beyond me on the 3DS unfortunately.

Definitely wouldn't be broken though, EV training is very fast in USUM.

Edit the options inside a Shop it would be easier to do with a save editor? Are you sure? The options on every shop I think are hard coded IMO

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Alright, after a painful journey lasting for about half a year (or 4?), I guess I have finally made my way to Alola. Guess the most important thing for me is to try to wrap my head around how to use the starters then.

- I noticed that the hidden abilities are actually hidden this time around, so the one I picked at the start are not going to have those. While I'm willing to endure SOS chaining for other mons, for the purpose of not annoying myself with not being able to use my picked buddy, I'm just going to cheat those HA in for them. The following texts will assume that HAs are available.
    The Alola starters are one of the few exceptions; they and the fossil mons can have their hidden abilities as a regular ability, so you can switch to them with an Ability Capsule.

- From my basic understanding of totem battles being really scary battles with lots of unfair automatic stat boosts, I am going to say that Incineroar is gonna be my main pick of choice as a dedicated debuffing mon, which is kinda an unusual way to use a starter. The combination of Intimidate + Parting Shot + Fake Out + Knock Off, besides being useful support tools in doubles (which I assume is going to be a thing given how EXWY goes), should probably be pretty good in dulling most of the attack powers from totem mons and deleting their Lum Berries for another support mon to setup even more status effects, like paralysis or burn.
    That would definitely help with a lot of the totems; burning them helps a lot too. Double battles are less common in PSPM as I didn't add any new ones; IIRC it couldn't be done/didn't work properly at the time.

- For the sake of amusement and exercising my PMD-related fantasy, I'm going to cheat in a Popplio besides Litten at the start of the game. The addition of Recover does suggest that Primarina would serve decently as a generic bulky attacker with 3 attacks + Recover, packing quite some power behind her attacks too with the Sparkling Aura buff, nice typing and her great Spatk. Lack of useful ability seems to be her biggest downside here (haha Liquid Voice), and I do kinda wonder if it's going to harm her much in the whole bulky attacker deal.
    Yeah, I still haven't found a fitting ability for Primarina that's useful without being horribly broken. It's still pretty strong even without one though.

- As I simply love Serperior too much, I'm not going to use Decidueye. I guess that he's kinda decent though, for finally gaining the speed and extra coverage move that he really needed. Overgrow is the ability of choice, since Long Reach and Liquid Voice are kinda about as useful as Delphox's Magician.
    Long Reach is nice for Rocky Helmet and things like that, but yeah not the best ability.
    Responses in bold. Sorry for the slow reply!

Edit the options inside a Shop it would be easier to do with a save editor? Are you sure? The options on every shop I think are hard coded IMO
    The options in the shop would definitely be a ROM edit, but having two of the same shop would be easier as a save edit.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    While I was doing the first grand trial on Rebalanced, I noticed that the type chart for Fairy might have been changed or something? The Disarming Voice I got from Popplio does neutral dmg to Fighting mons (all of Hala's mons) and weak dmg to Ice mons (a Spheal and a Swinub)

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    While I was doing the first grand trial on Rebalanced, I noticed that the type chart for Fairy might have been changed or something? The Disarming Voice I got from Popplio does neutral dmg to Fighting mons (all of Hala's mons) and weak dmg to Ice mons (a Spheal and a Swinub)
    Are you sure it wasn't super effective against the Swinub? It sounds like your Popplio has Liquid Voice; Disarming Voice is a sound move so it'll become Water type.

Back