• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Are you sure it wasn't super effective against the Swinub? It sounds like your Popplio has Liquid Voice; Disarming Voice is a sound move so it'll become Water type.

Oooh that's right, I didn't check the ability thing. Guess I'll have to fetch a capsule then.

Years
    Hello o/... So, about the whole Primarina new ability thing (cause Liquid Voice is SOOOO good)... I thought of a few, though I'm terrible with balancing... On that Note, here are the ones I thought about but am unsure if it would be balanced or not:
    - Berserk: Drampa's ability... I think it makes sense a mermaid having this, cause have you seen the original stories? Mermaids are brutal in those. xP
    - Drizzle: Not sure why, but whenever I think of mermaids, I think of rain :V
    - Swift Swim: And the last one I could think of... Again, because if I think of mermaids, I think of rain :V

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Frankly speaking, not a fan of putting weather team related abilities on a starter. I kinda believe that doing that kinda has a nasty side effect of pigeonholing your entire adventure's team around that specific weather - Drizzle means you're going to have to build a rain team whether you like it or not, while Swift Swim is just kinda useless if you don't make use of it at all. Starters are kinda special in that regard since they pretty much only have 1 modifiable ability slot to work with, while other mons can have up to 3, allowing those not wanting to build a weather team to pick something else more useful.

With that said, I would probably want a defense-ish ability for Primarina (and maybe an attack related one for Decidueye), if I have to pick one, with the first thing to come to mind being Multiscale. Haven't think of anything regarding Decidueye though.

Years
    Drizzle might have been pushing it too far, fair enough... Though Swift Swim is just as strong as Chlorophyll on Venusaur (something I use quite often) , and, as Buffel Saft said, even without an ability Primarina is quite good :V. Having said that, Multiscale could work really well imo ^^ As for Decidueye, may I suggest Infiltrator? Reason being, he is an archer who can control his arrows, so it makes sense, I guess? xP. Not sure how useful it would be tho :V

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The options in the shop would definitely be a ROM edit, but having two of the same shop would be easier as a save edit.

In conclusion, can you make shops with more usefull options each one? Or you think it's a bit unnecesary? I'd love to have on one shop every Ev training for example, and not just HP, ATK and SPE.

Anyway, it's a very specific request, so I'll get if you don't like it

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Drizzle might have been pushing it too far, fair enough... Though Swift Swim is just as strong as Chlorophyll on Venusaur (something I use quite often) , and, as Buffel Saft said, even without an ability Primarina is quite good :V. Having said that, Multiscale could work really well imo ^^ As for Decidueye, may I suggest Infiltrator? Reason being, he is an archer who can control his arrows, so it makes sense, I guess? xP. Not sure how useful it would be tho :V
    I like Berserk for Primarina, might go with that. Infiltrator's not bad, but it's also kinda "meh" in-game like Long Reach. Could give Decidueye Sniper but that's not great either 😅.

In conclusion, can you make shops with more usefull options each one? Or you think it's a bit unnecesary? I'd love to have on one shop every Ev training for example, and not just HP, ATK and SPE.

Anyway, it's a very specific request, so I'll get if you don't like it
    I can definitely try, it's just a matter of whether or not I can find the file that stores the shop data and then figure out what each shop item is. As far as I know no one has done anything to it as a ROM hack, but pkhex can at least edit your save to change which stores you have.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    I think I do have some idea on working Berserk onto my own Primarina then. It's probably gonna be a fair bit better than Torrent for it working with other types.

On a sidenote, I forgot that Vikavolt got super buffed this time around and thus had half my team defeated by Guzma's. Guess I should get one of my own then.

Years
    I like Berserk for Primarina, might go with that. Infiltrator's not bad, but it's also kinda "meh" in-game like Long Reach. Could give Decidueye Sniper but that's not great either 😅.

I can definitely try, it's just a matter of whether or not I can find the file that stores the shop data and then figure out what each shop item is. As far as I know no one has done anything to it as a ROM hack, but pkhex can at least edit your save to change which stores you have.

Oh! Glad I could help in some way :D... As for the Decidueye one, the only ability that came to mind (other than the ones already mention here) was Moxie, but I have no idea if it makes sense thematically and if it would be broken or not :V

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    Small notes: Klefki learning lvl for Draining Kiss could be relocated to somewhere after its met location (lvl 57-60), instead of the original lvl18. Draining Kiss is pretty useful for defensive fairy mons like Klefki, and the move reminder is still kinda a pretty long away from that point.

Price for Energy Root at Konikoni should also be reduced by a small bit, due to Hyper Potion having the same cost of 1200$ right now while not having the "bitter" downside.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2020
    I find this strange but i see Photonic Sun in the intro when i start the game yet all the available pokemon in the hack do not appear. everything else in the game remains unchanged.

i remember trying the CIA first without the update, downloaded the update and copied the patch into the luma folder.

could it have been the CIA patch that i downloaded was interfering with everything else?

that is thr only thing i can think of that would change the inteo but not other components of the game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Oh! Glad I could help in some way :D... As for the Decidueye one, the only ability that came to mind (other than the ones already mention here) was Moxie, but I have no idea if it makes sense thematically and if it would be broken or not :V
    I went with Tinted Lens for Decidueye; kinda boring as it makes it another owl with that ability, but it should make its Grass attacks more useful (and also means nothing resists Spirit Shackle unless it's immune to it).
    Small notes: Klefki learning lvl for Draining Kiss could be relocated to somewhere after its met location (lvl 57-60), instead of the original lvl18. Draining Kiss is pretty useful for defensive fairy mons like Klefki, and the move reminder is still kinda a pretty long away from that point.

Price for Energy Root at Konikoni should also be reduced by a small bit, due to Hyper Potion having the same cost of 1200$ right now while not having the "bitter" downside.
    Good suggestion; I've added a few of Klefki's more useful level up moves to its learnset again, but at higher levels so it won't miss out on Draining Kiss or Foul Play anymore. Also lowered the price of the Energy Root back down to 800, like it was in earlier gens.
    I find this strange but i see Photonic Sun in the intro when i start the game yet all the available pokemon in the hack do not appear. everything else in the game remains unchanged.

i remember trying the CIA first without the update, downloaded the update and copied the patch into the luma folder.

could it have been the CIA patch that i downloaded was interfering with everything else?

that is thr only thing i can think of that would change the inteo but not other components of the game.
    That is strange; the luma folder's files should take priority over the installed cia. Could you go to luma\titles\00040000001B5000\romfs\a\0\8 on your SD card and see what's in there? Should be a ~460MB file named "2", if it's missing that'll be the problem. If it's named "3" instead, just rename it to 2 and that should fix the problem.

Also, just updated the game with a lot of the new moves from the Pokemon home datamine, and changed a few trainers so that they make use of the new movepools. Full details are in the change log and documents.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2023
    Hi, I saw someone posted about the ExtractedRomFS and ExtractedExeFS files are not appearing after the .cia patch had been extracted and I'm having the same problems.

I plan on just using his method (just doing it with the new version of the hacking tool) but I was wondering if anyone had figured out why it happens with ver. 9 and could point me in the right direction if they know how to fix it?

EDIT: I tried using ver. 12 of the hacking tool, and the files did appear as they should, but now I am being told while rebuilding the patch files that I am missing vcruntime140d.dll and ucrtbased.dll. Pretty stuck at this point, as I have little knowledge about this stuff so any help would be appreciated...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2020
    hello. im sorry if this was mentioned somewhere but i havent found anything... is there gonna be an updated pokedex/national dex for this hack?
    since yes you can catch and train any pokemon but their habitat wont show in the pokedex (where there originally was habitat unknown, even if you can meet them now) and non-Alolan pokemon arent even registered in the pokedex so i cant see who i got or didnt get yet? (without actually checking pc boxes ofc...)

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hi, I saw someone posted about the ExtractedRomFS and ExtractedExeFS files are not appearing after the .cia patch had been extracted and I'm having the same problems.

I plan on just using his method (just doing it with the new version of the hacking tool) but I was wondering if anyone had figured out why it happens with ver. 9 and could point me in the right direction if they know how to fix it?

EDIT: I tried using ver. 12 of the hacking tool, and the files did appear as they should, but now I am being told while rebuilding the patch files that I am missing vcruntime140d.dll and ucrtbased.dll. Pretty stuck at this point, as I have little knowledge about this stuff so any help would be appreciated...
    Hey, as far as I can tell the cause of the issues with the hacking toolkit is either the program itself or a bad dump of the update (possibly both). I'd like to suggest using something else, but unless the updates are available as cxi or 3DS files it's the only easy option.

Missing dll files could mean you don't have the .net framework or something like that on your PC. It's not something I can help with much, but I'd recommend being very careful if you decide to download dll files; if they come from anywhere other than Microsoft they're probably unsafe.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

hello. im sorry if this was mentioned somewhere but i havent found anything... is there gonna be an updated pokedex/national dex for this hack?
    since yes you can catch and train any pokemon but their habitat wont show in the pokedex (where there originally was habitat unknown, even if you can meet them now) and non-Alolan pokemon arent even registered in the pokedex so i cant see who i got or didnt get yet? (without actually checking pc boxes ofc...)
    Hey, that's something I probably won't ever add to this hack. Expanding the Pokedex requires restructuring the save file to make room for new captured/seen flags, making new capture screen images for every missing species, and then updating a lot of Pokedex related functions. It's quite a difficult task and well beyond what I can do to a 3DS game unfortunately.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2020
    Hey, I've been playing prismatic moon on citra and I'm having issues with the shop freezing when I go to talk to the guy who works there. I think someone else posted about this in this forum but I can't figure out where there's an update that fixes this or how to install it? Anyone have any help for me ?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hey, I've been playing prismatic moon on citra and I'm having issues with the shop freezing when I go to talk to the guy who works there. I think someone else posted about this in this forum but I can't figure out where there's an update that fixes this or how to install it? Anyone have any help for me ?
    Hey, are you playing the rebalanced or standard version of prismatic moon? The shop freezes when your shop.cro file doesn't match the game version or title update version, which means either:
    • You don't have the modified title update installed; the hack requires both the ROM and the title update to be modified to work
    • The hack is broken/has the wrong files in the download
    I'll check the hack's files, but I haven't modified the shops in a while so they should still be OK.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2020
    Hey, are you playing the rebalanced or standard version of prismatic moon? The shop freezes when your shop.cro file doesn't match the game version or title update version, which means either:
    • You don't have the modified title update installed; the hack requires both the ROM and the title update to be modified to work
    • The hack is broken/has the wrong files in the download
    I'll check the hack's files, but I haven't modified the shops in a while so they should still be OK.

I'm playing Rebalanced! It's unfortunate because usually the poke balls on Route 2 are very valuable and this is one of the two shops that do not work! It's likely that I don't have the title update installed... I'm a little unsure how to go about modifying that without having to go through the entire installation process again which I had a bit of difficulty with since I'm not too used to using Citra and modifying the.3ds / .cia files as opposed to using my 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I'm playing Rebalanced! It's unfortunate because usually the poke balls on Route 2 are very valuable and this is one of the two shops that do not work! It's likely that I don't have the title update installed... I'm a little unsure how to go about modifying that without having to go through the entire installation process again which I had a bit of difficulty with since I'm not too used to using Citra and modifying the.3ds / .cia files as opposed to using my 3DS.
    I've just checked all the hack's files are OK and everything's working on my end, so it'll definitely be your update. Modifying the update is the only part of the installation process you'd need to repeat; the ROM file for the actual game doesn't affect the shops as it's overridden by the update, and they're separate files. Part three of the hack's citra install guide covers all the steps needed to modify it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2020
    I've just checked all the hack's files are OK and everything's working on my end, so it'll definitely be your update. Modifying the update is the only part of the installation process you'd need to repeat; the ROM file for the actual game doesn't affect the shops as it's overridden by the update, and they're separate files. Part three of the hack's citra install guide covers all the steps needed to modify it.

Thanks for your response. I've just checked and it appears I have V1.2 which should be the correct update? Might just forego the issue, otherwise, the game runs flawlessly and I'm very happy with it so thanks so much !

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Thanks for your response. I've just checked and it appears I have V1.2 which should be the correct update? Might just forego the issue, otherwise, the game runs flawlessly and I'm very happy with it so thanks so much !
    Yeah that's the correct update version. Is it just certain shops that crash or all of them? If it is an issue with the update's files I'd expect none of them to work, which would make for a pretty unpleasant playthrough.

Back