• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Just beat the league, my team was: Charizard, Aegislash(shiny), Swampert, Articuno, Luxray, and s p o o k. I really enjoyed it even though I don't really play competitively.

One glitch I saw was when battling Agatha her Gengar is immune to psychic type even though it should be super effective.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 14, 2021
I finaly was able to install the patch! downloaded the patch a 3rd time and now it worked :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 24, 2021
ngl this is a pretty great mod, but you should bring back the ability to use items because this game is unreasonably hard early game otherwise.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
ngl this is a pretty great mod, but you should bring back the ability to use items because this game is unreasonably hard early game otherwise.

It's not hard. You just have to play around with different permutations of Pokémon. You can overlevel Falkner and Brock with all of your Pokémon being level 15. For Misty, you can get a 6−3 advantage from the get−go. Spamming revives and full restores is not a fun way to bypass a hard fight. The developer intended on making the ROM hack very similar to Smogon competitive battling.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 24, 2021
I just wanna be able to use a potion during a trainer battle because I don't look at Pokemon like they're a bunch of numbers, man. I'm not asking for much else beyond what this ROM hack offers in the form of a more casual experience.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
The developer specificially intended for the ROM hack to be very difficult, as not many other hacks were made with the same difficulty as this game. There are other ROM hacks that also forbid items in battle, and they are more frusterating to play, like Emerald Kaizo. Also, the developer mentioned in a thread that ROM hacking is a passion project, and they don't care for making a ROM hack directed at casuals.

You don't have to use damage calculators to win. If you are getting swept by a trainer, consider switching out Pokémon or using a different lead.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 14, 2023
is there any hidden power changer? I want hp ice for manectric, I currently in diglett cave just after beat Lt. Surge

Years
Are some specific moves optionally egg moves for specific mons like they were in before gen 8? (ex; Play Rough Bounsweet, Elemental Fangs + DD Tyrunt, Earth Power Deino, Elemental Punches Elekid, Encore Ralts, Elemental Punches + Cosmic Power Buneary, Elemental Punches + DD Scraggy, Outrage + Iron Head Gible, Stealth Rock + Iron Head + DD Larvitar, Spikes and Toxic Spikes Venipede, Fire Fang + Thunder Fang + Aqua Tail Sandile, Fire Fang + Thunder Fang + Sucker Punch Rockruff, Play Rough Swablu, CC + Play Rough + Crunch Teddiursa, Agility + Rock Climb + Cross Poison + Night Slash Gligar, Superpower + DD Corphish, Fire Punch + Thunder Punch Chimchar, Baton Pass Torchic, Stealth Rock + Superpower Aron, CC + Elemental Punches Machop, Seed Bomb + Superpower + Heavy Slam Turtwig, Superpower + Heavy Slam Tepig, CC Pinsir, CC Growlithe, Elemental Fangs + CC Snubull, etc.)

Or is it still the way it is in Gen 8 where you can only teach them these moves via TM, and no other option?

Plz make these egg moves among others a option, cause the egglockes

also in gen 8, Knock Off is a egg move for the Ralts line now, and Gardevoir can learn Mystical Fire too
Sandile line can have Aqua Tail as a egg move

EDIT - Here's some egg move suggestions for some new ones:
Larvitar - Superpower (egg move from Feraligatr line and Druddigon)
Shinx - Play Rough, Psychic Fangs
Axew - Superpower (egg move from Feraligatr line, Flygon line and Druddigon)
Tyrunt - Close Combat (Hakamo-o/Kommo-o can be the father to spread it), Play Rough (same thing with Skrelp/Dragalge if they have the move, which in turn got it from Azumarill line)
Rockruff - Play Rough, Ice Fang
Jangmo-o - Iron Head (from Garchomp line, in turn from Aggron line), Aqua Tail (from Dragonite line, Gyarados, Milotic, Dragalge line, Goodra)
Yamper - Ice Fang, Fire Fang
Chewtle - Ice Fang
Rolycoly - Spikes

Last edited:
Years
Also give these to Grapploct:
Storm Throw
Mach Punch (in case it doesn't have it already)
Aqua Jet
Flip Turn
Poison Jab
Toxic (egg move from Quagsire line, Toxicroak line, Dragalge line and Toxtricity)

and give Scrafty Sucker Punch and Gunk Shot too

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 22, 2021
Hi first time posting, love the rom with so many QoL options and the newer gen pokemons but I do have a few questions.

I dled this rom a couple of months ago and was wondering when will it get some updates? I'd like to see the new Isle of Armor pokemon added in (like kubfoo, etc) and also if its possible for the dexnav to work in randomizer mode.

Thx for reading.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 16, 2022

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!

Intro
I've been playing Pokémon ROM hacks since I was a kid, starting with Quartz, Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends, and Shiny Gold, all of which helped spiral my obsession, making me a long-time lurker in the community. Although I have made attempts to make one myself, I simply lacked the knowledge or dedication to make anything happen. Now, around 10-12 years later, seeing how far ROM hacking has advanced and with more confidence in my skills, I've decided to revisit developing my own ROM hack.

Fire Red enhancement hacks are definitely a dime a dozen these days, so you're probably wondering what this hack has to offer. I personally enjoy difficulty hacks the most, which is why I consider ROM hacks like Clover and Vega to be the two best ones out there.

This hack is at its core a difficulty hack, but with massive additional features added to help you navigate through this game's difficulty.
If I had to draw a comparison it'd be quite similar to Drayano60's enhancement hacks, which provide access to nearly all the Pokemon while also adding relevant buffs to make all sorts of different Pokémon and playstyles viable, but with an insane amount of quality of life features added that also make many gruesome tasks far less tedious.

This is a joint project with me and a friend koala4; although I've handled pretty much everything on the technical side he's assisted me immensely in balancing, giving suggestions, doing the wild Pokemon locations for the most part, testing, and more.

Features
This hack utilizes the Complete FireRed Upgrade engine (!!!!) and Dynamic Pokemon Expansion built by Skeli789, Ghoulslash, and others. It's responsible for most of the significant features in the hack; I'll list the important ones below.

Provided by CFRU and DPE
Spoiler:

Additional Features
Do keep in mind many of these are also provided by CFRU.
Spoiler:

Quality of Life changes
Spoiler:

Screenshots (some screenshots are outdated...)
6KWb0u8.png
archer_ariana.png
DYXEhQ4.png
metamovetutor.png
test-40.png
test-46.png
Radical_Red_2.1_1602962574737.png
test-41.png
rising_voltage.png
BiyVmt2.png
test-39.png
AdPp5WZ.png
jnF6fwe.png
g6jtDX5.png
W4hY7UZ.png
test_replay_6.png
sagepower.png
pmIr3GD.png
blademaster.png
hail.png
delibird.png
blazingsoul.png
felinepower.png
corrosion.png
test-3.png
test-47.png
test-17.png
test-7.png
test-9.png
test-11.png
test-38.png
test-49.png

GIFs:
cramorant.gif
cramorant2.gif
poltergeist.gif
newqol.gif
metainfo.gif
garb.gif

Download Release Version 2.1
DOWNLOAD/PATCH INSTRUCTIONS:
Tutorial
Video Tutorial:

The video asks that you have a Pokemon Fire Red .gba ROM, you will have to find this online by yourself as distributing the link is illegal and against Pokecommunity rules. Please make sure to find a 1636 Pokemon Fire Red Squirrels ROM and NOT a Fire Red 1.1 ROM as that is not compatible with the patch. Another alternative patcher you can use for mobile or Mac users can be found here.

After patching, you should have a .gba file that you can open with an emulator to play. You can play on mGBA or VBA if you are on Windows, openEmu if you are on Mac, myBoy if you're on Android, and gba4IOS if you are on iOS. I'm not too familiar with getting this to work on real hardware (although it IS compatible with real hardware) so you'd have to look at other resources to get that set up.

This is playable up until the first Pokemon League challenge. Please do look at the known bugs before playing! Anything from 2.0 forward is compatible with any foreseeable future releases
Please keep in mind this game is still in Beta, post-game, more content and bug fixes are planned in the future
Response to those who want me to make an easier version
Changelogs
Spoiler:

Known Bugs
Incompatible with PizzaBoy, Eclipse, Twilight Menu. Tested to perform fine on: mGBA, VBA-M, VBA, OpenEmu, myBoy, JohnGBA
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF YOU USED CHEATS. This should be self explanatory, but... using cheats will impact your games in many ways and will lead to bugs that would not have happened otherwise.

Hall of Fame
Version 2
Spoiler:

Version 1
Spoiler:

Credits
Spoiler:

FAQ
Spoiler:

Features I'd Like to Add in the Future:
Spoiler:

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!
Docs to view Evolutionary Changes, Buffs/Nerfs, Pokemon locations, and more!

i ran into a VERY weird glitch after starting my very first playthrough ever of this game. i started my first playthrough of the hack ever recently and found something rather unusual occurring.

at the start of the game my menu was lagging severely, to the point that my button presses were delayed by well over one second. i thought perhaps this was maybe just the game engine.

i pressed the up and down buttons a few times in a sequence i cannot precisely remember, then progressed to get my starter. i immediately went to complete the games beginning required missions, and after catching a hoothoot as my first encounter and a couple other mons, i went to deposit hoothoot.

for whatever reason my ENTIRE PC had been glitched, all boxes beyond roughly box 9/10 were glitched and the names were wrong, and every number had been changed to the number after it [box 11 was " box 12", etc.]. ok, why does this matter? i went back using the left button, deposited hoothoot into the last box, which had glitched into a box with a bunch of random characters. when i went to check the box after, hoothoot had "transformed" into a glitched spearow, with the moves of fire punch, water pulse, pursuit, and one move i cannot remember.

when i say "glitched spearow" i mean GLITCHED SPEAROW, as in its name was a collection of random spaces and characters, its ability was hoothoots original in game ability, and its nature the same as hoothoots. what is more, is the game even treated it as if it was NOT a spearow, as the pokedex had not registered i even had one [which the game does when you receive a gift mon OR catch a mon].

this reminded me of the people who found about how to perform arbitrary code execution in the pokemon games and made speedrunning easier, and made me wonder something: "can this be replicated? and if so, could someone glitch something else, like say, a level 100 with a game breaking moveset? or even items or execute code to beat the game in similar manner to RBY?"

i apologize for grammar, i have both arms in braces and typing is quite difficult, but has anyone else playing this hack [pokemon radical red] run into a similar glitch? and regardless, does anyone think that this could be replicated? i have a savestate made from the very beginning of my game before when all the wierd slow menu stuff happened. this glitch could potentially blow open the speedrunning capabilities for this hack if we could find out what in the gods name i did to cause it.

this was quite unusual to run into, and i still have the savefile as well as the spearow with the weird name. i had no idea where to go to post about this, or whether it is something that can be fixed, or if it is worth looking into, regardless, i am bringing up this as it has potential to let players just WRECK the game through arbitrary code execution and to spawn quite possibly MORE than just pokemon. had hoothoot had a held item, i could have seen what it would have turned into as well.

if someone wants to look into this just let me know. otherwise i just wanted to give this as a heads up to the RR community.

walidh2000

walidh
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 2, 2021
I'm playing a hardcore nuzlocke of this game and I'm really enjoying myself, so I needed the expert belt and saw in the docs that chuck is supposed to give it to you when you show him a Pokemon with 200 atk evs or more but he doesn't give me anything after showing him multiple 252 atk evs pokemon I'm I doing something wrong ? And thanks :')

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 9, 2021
Hey, I understand that this really isn't the point of this rom hack, but I really enjoyed the rom so to get more mileage out of it I have tried to complete the national dex, but I noticed that currently it isn't possible? There are certain baby pokemon you can't catch. I have been doing raids to catch those pre-evolution pokemon you can't catch in the wild and I thought that this was really fun. Anyway, I was just curious if you plan to ever make every pokemon obtainable? Like I said, I understand if that isn't part of the plan cause thats not the point of this rom hack. Also second question if you have time, I was wondering where to get Dialga, Darkrai, Groudon and legendaries like that? I noticed you can get many legendaries by doing raids, but there still seem to be many that aren't obtainable, or at least they aren't documented in the docs. One last thing, I noticed that in the pokedex it says that nosepass is obtainable on route 10 but in the docs and the dexnav it isn't there. I also checked the power plant/rock tunnel in case I was mistaken where it actually was. I was just pointing this out in case it was a bug or if I was doing something wrong. Anyway, awesome rom and I have played pokemon casually all my life and this rom was really challenging and breathe of fresh air. At first I was frustrated with the challenge, but after beating the elite 4 I was really proud. Felt like playing a dark souls game. Thanks for the hardwork!

-Edit:
Holy shit, I totally forgot about breeding! My bad, but tbh, I have never delved deep into it. I guess, I could now, but still I am curious if this could be part of future plans.

Last edited:
Years
Hey, I understand that this really isn't the point of this rom hack, but I really enjoyed the rom so to get more mileage out of it I have tried to complete the national dex, but I noticed that currently it isn't possible? There are certain baby pokemon you can't catch. I have been doing raids to catch those pre-evolution pokemon you can't catch in the wild and I thought that this was really fun. Anyway, I was just curious if you plan to ever make every pokemon obtainable? Like I said, I understand if that isn't part of the plan cause thats not the point of this rom hack. Also second question if you have time, I was wondering where to get Dialga, Darkrai, Groudon and legendaries like that? I noticed you can get many legendaries by doing raids, but there still seem to be many that aren't obtainable, or at least they aren't documented in the docs. One last thing, I noticed that in the pokedex it says that nosepass is obtainable on route 10 but in the docs and the dexnav it isn't there. I also checked the power plant/rock tunnel in case I was mistaken where it actually was. I was just pointing this out in case it was a bug or if I was doing something wrong. Anyway, awesome rom and I have played pokemon casually all my life and this rom was really challenging and breathe of fresh air. At first I was frustrated with the challenge, but after beating the elite 4 I was really proud. Felt like playing a dark souls game. Thanks for the hardwork!

-Edit:
Holy shit, I totally forgot about breeding! My bad, but tbh, I have never delved deep into it. I guess, I could now, but still I am curious if this could be part of future plans.

Yeah, the dex isn't completable because of a lot of legends are unavailable, which are planned to be added in a (much) later post-game update. You can get Nosepass by using Rock Smash in Rock Tunnel; I'm planning on adding another location in the next update. i'll try to add an unobtainable list somewhere in the docs soon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 9, 2021
Yeah, the dex isn't completable because of a lot of legends are unavailable, which are planned to be added in a (much) later post-game update. You can get Nosepass by using Rock Smash in Rock Tunnel; I'm planning on adding another location in the next update. i'll try to add an unobtainable list somewhere in the docs soon.

One last thing I would like to compliment you on, the creator battle right as you get into the Indigo league was genius. I got trolled so hard! I didn't save, cause I wasn't expecting a fight and when I saw the level 100 Gigalith. I just felt this great sense of dread come over me. Victory Road was a grind for me and I wasn't excited to go back all the way through it. Not the biggest deal if I would have had to in hindsight, but still, you got me.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 25, 2022
So I have choose randomizer option and until the fourth badge, I have noticed I keep encountering the same Pokémon. There is no variety in other area. It's alway magby and buneary. It feel boring now. Do anyone have same issues?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
I played a few months ago and stopped, then started again just recently. I updated to the latest version, but after progressing a bit. I don't have the exp share key item or the stat checker because I already progressed past that point on the older version. Is there any way to get these items now?
EDIT: Got them from guy under Pokemon Center in Pewter, in case anyone needs this too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
I'd just like to point out that the game works fine on Pizzaboy, I don't see any "incompatibility issues" playing through the game.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 20, 2021
What time does grapploct show in seafoam island? Or is it really super hard to fish grapploct coz it says that it only has 1-4% fishing encounter.

Back