• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2023
    great game, love it. - Although their discord seem to inhabit kids as staff (junior mods) that think its cool to delete messages without reason and ban just for someone giving tips how to moderate stuff like that a bit better. Better stay away from there. :-)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2021
    Just stumbled upon this and I feel pretty late to the party. I'm wondering if there is a list of learnsets available? I'm looking to better fill out hardcore teams but not sure which mons will actually fit the bill. Also why did you give Faulkner's Emolga Sleep Talk. That was super troll when I thought using hypnosis on it was a good idea...

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    great game, love it. - Although their discord seem to inhabit kids as staff (junior mods) that think its cool to delete messages without reason and ban just for someone giving tips how to moderate stuff like that a bit better. Better stay away from there. :-)

I also left. Many of the mods are immature. I had a meme joking about a dog that mentioned autism and someone said it was offensive and ultimately was taken down. Which is ironic because the language of the mods was much worse than anything I've ever posted.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2023
    Finally beat Pokemon League on hardcore mode. This is nowhere near any nuzlocke or monotype run, but I'm very relieved haha.

Hardest fights was the Champion fight because he throws so many mons with a billion stats at you. An honorable mention goes to the tag team double batte in Silph Co before Giovanni, which was made soooo hard by Brendan being an absolute retard. Essentially a 3 vs 6 double battle. Lt Surge also caused some trouble alongside Brendan before Diglett Tunnel because the early game is less flexible.

dIVBxzd.jpeg

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
    Darmanitan is core member of the team. Scarf makes it a fast hard-hitter, while Choice Band was used to OHKO Ho-Oh and 2HKO Primal Groudon in the champion fight. I flinched my way out of hazards vs both Champion and Agatha with Darmanitan.
    Ability: Gorilla Tactics
    Jolly Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Superpower

Slowbro @ Slowbronite/Assault Vest/Sitrus Berry
    As always, Slowbro is just the most op thing ever. Beefy as fuck, longevity from Slack off and Regenerator and the ability to solo all of the Bruno fight as Mega Slowbro because Withdraw is one of the few setup moves allowed in hardcore mode. Expanding Force also meant that it could knock most things out vs Agatha.
    Ability: Regenerator/Battle Armor
    Bold Nature
    - Withdraw
    - Scald/Ice Beam/Body Press
    - Psychic/Expanding Force/Grass Knot
    - Slack Off

Golisopod @ Assault Vest/Sitrus Berry
    Golisopod is tanky in terms of stats and typing while also bringing good priority moves. It can pivot like Slowbro and it can revenge kill a lot of stuff.
    Ability: Emergency Exit
    Adamant Nature
    - Liquidation
    - First Impression
    - Sucker Punch
    - Leech Life/Poison Jab/Brick Break

Meloetta-Pirouette @ Choice Scarf/Focus Sash
    Meloetta is the flinching machine, which honestly makes some fights way too easy unless playing nuzlocke. It is extremely fast with Choice Scarf and hits hard with good offensive typing and attack. I avoided all hazard in the Lance fight by Paralysing Deoxys with Body Slam. Primal Eternatus was also brought down by flinching it with Zen Headbutt, which would have been very tough to kill otherwise.
    Ability: Serene Grace
    Jolly Nature
    - Body Slam
    - Rock Slide
    - Close Combat
    - Zen Headbutt

Urshifu @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band/Focus Sash/Leftovers
    Urshifu hits hard and was mainly used for OHKO'ing Victini vs Agatha. Good movepool and high attack. Detect is also allowed in hardcore mode which made Lorelei much easier.
    Ability: Unseen Fist
    Jolly Nature
    - Wicked Blow
    - Poison Jab
    - Close Combat
    - Detect

Duraludon @ Duraludonite
    Mega Duraludon was originally brought on the team to deal with Primal Eternatus, but I ended up not using it much. It was very good vs Lorelei's rain team though, because of the Dragon/Steel typing which tanks and kills Kingdra and Palkia. Hits extremely hard specially.
    Ability: Clear Body/Bad Company
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Steel Beam
    - Thunder/Solar Beam
    - Body Press

Honorable mentions:
    Alolan Marowak has an amazing typing and three awesome abilities. Can completely wall some threats.
    Palossand has amazing typing, stats and ability.
    Donphan was used for most of the game. Beefy and hits like a truck with some flavor from Technician and Ice Shard.
    Jelliscent hits very hard with Water Bubble. Awesome typing for tanking.
    Copperajah is probably not better than Melmetal, but I like it way more. Awesome movepool, good typing, good stats.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    gotta say i love this rom hack, really well done!
    just a question about the move smart strike, just saw garys kartana using it but i can't find it in kartanas move list. only samurott has it as a level up move...is there no other way to obtain it? almost thought that move was removed lol.

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2021
    Really enjoying this ROM!

Is there a way to change my game from normal to hardcore? I'm at the 4th gym and would like to increase the difficulty, but don't necessarily want to completely restart.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Is there a way to change my game from normal to hardcore? I'm at the 4th gym and would like to increase the difficulty, but don't necessarily want to completely restart.

No, can't change difficulty in the middle of a playthrough. Differences are too big to be something you could switch on the fly.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Anyone got any tips on how to beat Falkner? I'm doing a dark-type run, but his Rufflet is legit one-shotting me and I'm about to fight a ho.
    P sure my team was Alolan Rattata, Houndour, Zigzagoon, Nuzleaf and Poochyena.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I would like to make some of my friends play this ROM Hack with me but they don't speak English very well and it may be a pain for them to rely on me to advance or understand something.
    Can we work on copies of that ROM Hacks in other languages? It would mostly be a copy-paste of the original game's dialogue for most NPCs in said language and do the same with pokemons, moves, abilities, items etc ...
    We can then work on translating the dialogues that you added.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2022
    Well... i did it. It's less impressive because of the no EVs on enemy pokemons thing, but i beat Radical Red !

I went with a team of Blastoise/Mega-Gengar/Ferrothorn/Luxray/Metagross/Beheeyem

Blastoise was obviously my starter and i didn't actually use his mega, gave him Leftovers and it was surprisingly effective. He was especially useful during the double battles with Fake Out, Blaine with Rain Dance and Scald, and the Claire/Lance fights with Fake Out to break Wonder Scale and Focus Sash, and Ice Beam/Shell Smash to get rid of Dragonites and Garchomp.

Gengar was my mega, and obviously she was broken. Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast gives pretty good coverage, and even then a neutral move hit like a truck. And Destiny Bond, oh my god, let me tell you about Destiny Bond. I could not have won without that. Primal Kyogre spamming Water Spout ? Destiny Bond, gone. Mega Lucario after Zacian took out 2 of your mons ? Nah bro, i think you're just gonna get taken down with me. Dracozolt being the second to last mon while your Ferrothorn walls Mega-Salamence ? Oh sorry i couldn't hear you, i was too busy setting up it's death. Primal Groudon ? Nah, Destiny Bo- oh wait it Thunder Waved, i'm fu- oh wait he's faster now, get owned Blue. Bonkers special attack AND bonkers speed with good coverage and Destiny Bond, Gengar took out every threat to my team before they could be my demise.

Ferrothorn was a wall, i mean what else could she be. Well she was also my prime "sac to get a free switch" pokemon, because fire kills her almost every time but other than that. But everything that couldn't 2HKO her would probably die to Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet, thanks to Iron Defense and Power Whip/Gyro Ball handling what didn't touch her. Even though it had negative synergy with Gyro Ball, Thunder Wave came in clutch in numerous fights, the most notorious of all of them being the Giovanni Silph Co fight where Kangaskhan got paralysed 3 TIMES IN A ROW, allowing me to setup to +6 and beat his remaining Garchomp.

Luxray... at first, i was disappointed. The Dark type gave her good STAB yeah, but she was getting oneshot by nearly everything and was just too slow to do anything, it was basically who OHKO'd who first... until it turns out that, yeah actually, you don't have to be fast when you can just Sucker Punch with Black Glasses equipped to look cool while you revenge kill everything. I swear, every fight was "What if it doesn't kill ? Oh wait, i have Luxray, nevermind". Took out a lot of pressure, and she was often the janitor who just cleaned up anything that was under 50% and didn't resist dark. And she could do some work with Volt Tackle when she could actually pull one off !

Metagross. Yeah, i didn't use it's mega, even in the elite 4, well except one of the 15 times where i lost to Lorelei, even after you said it was one of the most busted soupercell (hilarious fight btw). However, being a pseudo-legendary, it still tanked hits like a champ (i swear, this gigachad tanked a spectral thief at +1 from Marshadow, and just Zen Headbutted it at 14 HP like it was nothing) and with a Choice Band, it hit back HARD. Earthquake/Zen Headbutt/Meteor Mash/Body Press was it's moveset, so it had pretty good coverage and could easily OHKO things like Claire's Magearna. Blue's Metagross was a chump compared to it, didn't even kill Ferro with a Fire Punch.

Beheeyem... After this Elite 4, i honestly think Beheeyem is among my favorite pokemons now. Let me tell you the tale of when she tanked Bruno's Terrakion's Close Combat at half HP and lived at 16, then OHKO'd it with Psychic thanks to Analytic. Didn't like it ? I have a better one. Blue's Eternatus was his last pokemon, and Beheeyem already tanked an Earthquake from his G. Darm and was at 140 HP. "Well, i'm pretty sure it kills, it must have something that kills her. I doubt Metagross could revenge kill, it probably has something for it too. At least we got pretty clo-". And then, this MAD LAD tanked a Dynamax Cannon and was left at 2 HP, THEN CRIT ETERNATUS WITH PSYCHIC, TAKING IT DOWN IN ONESHOT. That was something you could only see in the Pokemon anime. And i was like "Wait... i win ? I WIN ! I WON !"

Professor Oak telling me that it was not only me who worked hard to become Champion, but also my pokemons couldn't be anymore true. I don't think i could have done it without any of them. I bringed them from where i first got them to the Hall of Fame. Sure, i could certainly have had a way more optimal team. But i just liked these pokemons too much by the time i finished Victory Road, and i refused to switch my team, even after losing to Lorelei 15 times. And at the end of the day, it all worked out.

The most difficult battles in terms of attempts, were, in the top 3 : Blaine, then Whitney, then Lorelei. Blaine, i couldn't see a way out at first. I kept getting to his last pokemon and losing. I don't even remember fully how i beat him, but it took 8 tries. Whitney was the first battle that made me say "how will i beat this ?". Her vigoroth was tough in a heavily physical team, and Drampa was also a thorn in my side with Berserk + Roost. I only won because she threw and didn't my Vigoroth counter with Drampa when she could have. Lorelei... i beat her rain team at the end of the day, not her hail one. And even then, it came down to a paralyse on Dracovish at the very last turn. That was harder than Lance, even after Dialga (also you mad man, what did you do to Dialga and Roar of Time ?!)

Anyways, all that to say, thank you Soupercell for this hack. I had good times, i sometimes had frustrating times, but damn it, winning against the champion felt as satisfying as beating my first playthrough of Dark Souls 3. Have a good one, and i'll be shiny hunting and waiting patientlly for the post-game for the time being.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2022
    I think there is a big problem with hardcore mode, because difficult is different from scripted. Every enemy move with 50-60% precision always hit, if you use it you always miss. When you send to sleep enemy pokemon, it sleeps just for 1 turn except very rare cases, all your pokemon always sleep for 3 turns except rare cases. Scripted for the IA is not difficult, it's not playing pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Love the hack, I think it's better than most if not all the mainline games. I just wish it were possible to randomize bosses and gym leaders Pokemon. One of my favorite things to do is run randomizer nuzlockes, and it's almost impossible to play this game as one without that randomness for important trainers as well. You have to have really good luck to get a team that can survive some of the tougher gyms, even on easy mode. I understand at its core it's a difficulty hack, but with all the nice quality of life features and built in randomizer etc, it's quickly become my favorite to play, aside from that one complaint.

Would that be something possible to add in a future update? Like just include the option to randomize "boss" teams as well, in the randomizer section at the beginning of the game?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Love the hack, I think it's better than most if not all the mainline games. I just wish it were possible to randomize bosses and gym leaders Pokemon. One of my favorite things to do is run randomizer nuzlockes, and it's almost impossible to play this game as one without that randomness for important trainers as well. You have to have really good luck to get a team that can survive some of the tougher gyms, even on easy mode. I understand at its core it's a difficulty hack, but with all the nice quality of life features and built in randomizer etc, it's quickly become my favorite to play, aside from that one complaint.

Would that be something possible to add in a future update? Like just include the option to randomize "boss" teams as well, in the randomizer section at the beginning of the game?

I completely vouch for this feature. Plus, I think an option like unbound to mess around with the battle music of trainers and gym leaders would be sick. Kind of like a jukebox feature.

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2023
    Hello!

First of all, thanks for this great hack, I am enjoying it a lot despite not being that good at pokemon.
    Second, thanks to the forum as a whole, it helped a lot in some questions I had.

I meant to ask: is there a way to have a table for the hexcodes for pokemons, items and such in Radical Red? I was trying to edit the rom using XSE for personal use (basically, I am playing a tabletop RPG campaign that includes pokemon and I wanted to make a scene from it playable) and I just couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance! ♥

Back