• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
  • Hello all, I'm happy to bring Radical Red version 2.3, probably the biggest major update to Radical Red since the introduction of Gen 8! This also officially marks a year since I've embarked on this project, and I can't stress enough how delighted I am with how much this project has evolved in both quality and popularity in the past year. This goes without saying, but I need to give another gigantic thank you to Skeli, Ghoulslash, and everyone that worked on the Complete Fire Red Upgrade, as this project wouldn't exist without it. And as usual, thanks to everyone that has supported this project from the beginning.

Download 2.3 here!
    All Changelogs Google Doc
    Pastebin ver. of Changelog 2.3

As usual, please consult the FAQ on how to update to a newer version or how to patch a .ups file. Saves should be compatible, although many of you would probably want to start on a new save considering what this update brings.

When I first made Radical Red, it frankly wasn't made with Nuzlocking in mind. As RR gained popularity, it became apparent that many were insistent on Nuzlocking this game, so the grindy EV nature (even with all the quality of life adjustments) could grow tiresome very quickly. The intent I had in mind was to make a Pokemon game with more emphasis on EV-training along with attaining Perfect IVs, giving it a more RPG-like feel. While I feel I succeeded in this goal, I also can understand why many can find it tedious (especially Streamers who are trying to quickly run through the game).

To circumvent this issue, a new Minimal Grinding Mode has been added. As the name implies, this game mode minimizes the aforementioned issues some may have had with this game. This mode forces all Pokemon to have perfect IVs (Gift Pokemon, Wild Pokemon, Boss Pokemon (except slight tweaks for Hidden Power. Pokemon received from in-game trades will have sub-optimal IVs, but the IV Perfector in minimal grinding mode is free so it shouldn't be a huge problem)). Furthermore, EVs cannot be obtained. AI will also use no EVs. Trading is forbidden in Minimal Grinding Mode.

And for some of the die-hard fans of Radical Red, there is a new Hardcore Mode, which sprinkles in a bit of Kaizo, Unbound Insane, and some classic Radical Red silliness. Boss battles are harder and simply downright unfair while also restricting certain moves/abilities from the user (weather ability/moves, many stat-boosting moves, and more are prohibited with some exceptions). Some mandatory trainers in routes are also turned into minibosses, indicated by a pre-battle transition. This game mode is automatically complimented with Minimal Grinding mode to make this grueling experience far less tedious. It definitely feels like a whole new game, so be sure to check it out! trainer documents for this game mode will be released in around 2 weeks

For some people who maybe want a bit more of a challenge but not something as extreme as Hardcore, there's also Restricted Mode, which simply has the restrictions that Hardcore Mode has (Certain Abilities, Moves are forbidden) but with default Radical Red boss battles.

Of course, for our casual players, Easy Mode is finally here! I had never considered easy mode as an option only because in my head an easy mode would require creating a separate version where the boss battles had completely different teams. This would require a lot of effort that I simply wasn't willing to do. However, it was kind of foolish of me that I hadn't realized I could just remove EVs and a lot of the restrictions Radical Red with some minor edits to code. So, it's finally here! Easy Mode completely removes EVs on boss Pokemon, allows item use in battle, and also allows the Switch battle option. (Note that Boss Pokemon will still have Perfect IVs and the Level Cap is still present). Although the difficulty is 'Easy' it's still much more difficult than vanilla Pokemon games.

Another notable addition is the Stat Scanner now having a pleasant graphical interface that also shows stats and happiness values
    statscanner.gif
    (ignore the spanish in the top right, it'll be fixed when I feel like it :P) Credits to Azimuth on WAH for this one!

Some Gen 8 moves have had placeholder animations for a wee-bit too long, so I've finally addressed some of them. Here's an example:
    Rising Voltage in no terrain:
    risingvolt.gif

Rising Voltage In terrain:
    risingvoltterrain.gif

Of course, as usual, there are a slew of new Pokemon buffs and bug fixes. Some notable ones include Meloetta being able to persist in Pirouette form, Guzzlord being quite a powerhouse, and Ninjask being surprisingly useful even without the presence of Baton Pass!

Oh, and another cool thing made by KarthikVGC! is a sleek Radical Red Pokedex which showcases Stat/Ability changes RR has from Vanilla Gen 8, learnsets, and more! This is definitely a neat resource to check out if you're trying to build a powerful in-game team.

rrdex.PNG

last thing, be sure to check out the Radical Red Showdown if you're looking to play against others in a RR environment. Random Battle and even Free For All have been added recently if you just want to queue into something fun without having to make a team.

Anyway, a little guide on the difficulty options..
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2023
    Hello! I want to ask some questions. Firstly can I change battle mode? And secondly is there any type changes?

Raiimeister

Hear Me Roar!
    Years
  • Awesome! I'm good already on playing with the hack's current difficulty but will play the casual mode after i'm done :) you did a great job making this hack Soupercell! Thanks!

Years
    • He/She/They/Them
    • Earth
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    Maybe I shouldn't mention it here but the new rule on the Discord is very annoying.I don't want o give the app my phone number just to post comments or choose reaction emotes on the server.None of my other channels I follow do that.I did at least get to grab the new update so there's that.

Years
    • Seen today
    The Min Grinding feature sounds awesome. I know this game did already have cool features to make training and team building less annoying and time consuming than in other games (like Nature changer, free move relearner, IV perfectionist, and enhanced EV items) but it's nice to see there are even more options for those who may want to enjoy a challenging Pokémon game without spending a lot of time on the grinding and boring stuff every time you need to make changes to your team. Thank you for the update :)

Years
  • Maybe I shouldn't mention it here but the new rule on the Discord is very annoying.I don't want o give the app my phone number just to post comments or choose reaction emotes on the server.None of my other channels I follow do that.I did at least get to grab the new update so there's that.

sorry, as the server grew larger phone verification was a way we restricted people raiding the server with alternate accounts. we will try to find other ways to prevent this without phone verification but i'm not super familiar with discord myself so I hope my moderators can figure something out :D

and i'm also aware of some bugs with the new update (some time evos being bugged) i will try to post a fix soon!

Years
    • He/She/They/Them
    • Earth
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    sorry, as the server grew larger phone verification was a way we restricted people raiding the server with alternate accounts. we will try to find other ways to prevent this without phone verification but i'm not super familiar with discord myself so I hope my moderators can figure something out :D

and i'm also aware of some bugs with the new update (some time evos being bugged) i will try to post a fix soon!

Complaints aside the game update itself is great! :smile:

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • I dont think I'll be playing any mode except Easy Mode from now on. I can actually use Set Up moves in that mode and I'm loving it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2022
    Love the update my dude.
    I'm currently just after Gary before Victory Road on my LightLocke (Only rule is that I can only get the first encounter in my team).
    I know the RadicalRed Pokedex is new, but any chance we could have a darkmode with it?
    Cheers!

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2021
    Small request to get rid of the chance to not catch raid bosses after winning, it's bullshit.

Love the mod and will be playing Hard mode soon because I hate myself.

Looking forwards to the sevii islands too!

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2023
    Congrats on the new update!
    Just a question: Is post-game content (Sevii Islands, etc) avaliable?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    The new update is sure hard on regular mode. Against falkner, her emolga is out speeding my whole team. Brock's archeops is k o ing me

Also does anyone have advice on how to use choice items effectively

Also how would you ev a blastoise

Last edited:
    Years
  • Is anyone able to evolve rockruff to dusk form, I seem to only get the day or night form and I'm trying to evolve between 5 and 7:59 pm

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2021
    Hi everyone. I just started today and I got a male slandit from an egg. I was thinking if there's implemented some type of impossible evolutions, so I could known if I can evolve it or not?

Thanks for your attencion,
    HungryRex.

Years
  • Hi everyone. I just started today and I got a male slandit from an egg. I was thinking if there's implemented some type of impossible evolutions, so I could known if I can evolve it or not?

Thanks for your attencion,
    HungryRex.

Unfortunately no, so that salandit will be unable to evolve

The new update is sure hard on regular mode. Against falkner, her emolga is out speeding my whole team. Brock's archeops is k o ing me

Also does anyone have advice on how to use choice items effectively

Also how would you ev a blastoise

the updates to falkner and brock even on regular are tough yes; make use of the new encounters in digletts cave (there will also be additional encounters in a bug fix patch ill have out soon)

Choice scarf is pretty excellent on pokemon that are quite powerful but are lacking in speed (they are especially strong on moxie/grim neigh pokemon), band and specs are great for speedy pokemon that could use the additional power. Specs battle bond greninja is probably one of the best specs users in the game. Band is also good on pokemon that abuse priority (Pangoro sucker punch, scizor bullet punch are pretty good mentions). its not as clear cut as I say though so just test things out and try it yourself.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2022
    Well, after a lot of time I finally complete my major objetive with the game: Have every fully evolved (and the viables NFE like Porygon 2 and Chansey), alternative form of all Pokémon at level 100, 510 EVs with suitable moves and abilites. Even inviable ones, like regular Farfetch'd. It only took 620 hours of gameplay and a healthy Ditto (lol). Anyway, after that insane acomplishment here some notes in those 620 hours:

- Slowking can't learn Slack Off (Slowpoke, Slowbro and its Galarian forms can)
    - Voltorb and Electrode can't learn Reflect (Let's GO TM move)
    - Drowsee and Hypno can't learn Wish (Event move). The PasteBin of 2.3 said the move was added to their pool, but that's no the case.
    - Pansage and Simisage can't learn Leafstorm (Egg move)
    - Zebstrika can't learn High Horse Power (Doesn't make sense lol)
    - Mew can't learn Cosmic Power (No Body Press + Cosmic Power + Stored Power)
    - Munna and Musharna can't learn Moonblast (Level up move from Gen VIII)
    - Vanilluxe can't learn Aurora Veil (Egg move)

- No tutor for Trick (Hurts a lot to Rotom forms)
    - No tutor for Heal Bell (Hurts Vaporeon, Umbreon and Sylveon)
    - No tutor for Spikes (Hurts Pincurchin and Mew)
    - No tutor for Scale Shot.
    - No tutor for Outrage (As if that matters, lol)
    - No TM for Psyshock. Hurts Calm Minders.
    - Raichu can't relearn Volt Tackle (My Raichu was a Special Attacker, with the update I change him to a Physical Attacker and his best option right now is Wild Charge. And I don't want to breed another...)

- Some Berrys are missed: Kee Berry, Maranga Berry and Custap Berry (!!)

Some Notes from Gameplay:
    - Vaporeon is broken as f*ck. Calm Mind + Acid Armor + Wish + Scald/Stored Power with Max HP/DEF wall all teams of E4 with the exception of the Champion (Groundon-P Intense Sun). No nerf her, thought, I love the IA being so stupid that allow her to boost all the way to +6.

- Certain effects ocurr AFTER de oposing mon fainted, but is only estethic. Ocurred with my Mega Manectric as she mega evolve again after being defeated. Easy testeable with the EXP Training Audinos: Put a mon with Explosion. Audino uses Memento and faint, then your pokémon will explode, but it no will be fainted (consumes PP though)

Some wishes from my part:

- Please buff Yanmega. With Boots, now he can come in and dish damage. But with so low power moves his damage output is pathetic, even with Tinted Lens. Hurricane and Earth Power will come handy.

- Arcanine also needs some buffs. He is okeysh, but Entei and his new tools (Close Combat, Earthquake and Boots) really outclassed him in the offensive side. Earthquake, Sacred Fire, Swords Dance, a bit more Speed (100/105) and a new ability (probably Adaptabilty or Moxie) can make him a "Fire-type" Lucario.

- Can you give compatibility with Ice, Electric and Fire-type moves to the Galarian Birds. Makes no sense that Moltres-G, a bird with dark FLAMES can't learn fire moves. At least the basic ones (Articuno-G with Ice Beam, Moltres-G with Flamethrower/Lava Plume and Zapdos-G with Wild Charge)

- Technician Weavile pls, I want to destroy things with my cute Ruri and her Triple Axel, Pursuit, Beat Up and Ice Shard. With a lot of Dark-types with Wicked Blow/Sucker Punch and Ice Beams my poor Weavile has no reason to being use more than favoritism.

- There's a way to expand the PC boxes? A Live Dex is probably my next goal, but with only 25 boxes is currently impossible. 898 mons + Alternative forms are probably ~1000, so at least 34-35 boxes are needed to complete the live dex.

Lucariokalos

Playing rom hacks and official game
    Years
  • Bug Report:

I wanted to trade my Pokémon in my other gba games that use CFRU, but sometimes my all items suddenly gone forever.

Note: I don't think this is bug from CFRU or radical red itself.

Back