• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Sprite Discussion [from RBYG to XY]

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
I do agree with ya there dude, I think X/Y's 3D models made me fall in love with some Pokemon I never liked a lot previously. And I was actually quite shocked when I noticed that Marill and Azumarill's tail lights up, that's kinda cool I have to say and funnily enough there was no evidence of it until now.

Take a look at this animation of Azumarill and you'll see it:
azumarill-2.gif
Oddly enough, when a shiny Azumarill (which is yellow) attacks, its tail still flashes blue!

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Ive never realized how much Flareons furr has changed throughout the games! My favorite has to be the brownish/beige one in HG/SS. And the detail about Azumarills tail has never caught my eye before, thats great. One of the sprites that weirded me out the most was Sentret in X/Y. I always pictured him on its tail, but apparently he just stands...oh yeah, and he is way fatter than i thought.

161.png
161.png

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
Yeah, Sentret looks really strange this gen. So does Furret.

162.png

It looks like a tube with legs. Or like it's trying to imitate the Nike swoosh.

I liked Flareons white fluff as well, I had forgotten it used to look like that.

Spr_4d_136.png
- I love how playful it looks in this sprite!

Spr_1y_136.png
First gen is totally my favourite sprite, I dunno why, maybe nostalgia reasons? It just looks so mysterious and pretty!

Also, that thing about Azumarills tail is wicked, I love it. I'll have to try using an Azumarill myself sometime. :P

Mochika Rage

sickening, no?
Years
  • Age 23
  • uk
  • Seen Oct 1, 2017
I think Furret's sprite is quite cute, but I agree that it's like the Nike symbol. The fact about Azumarill's sprite is really cool as well!

Wow, I just looked at Ninetales's sprites and they're really nice. Well, except for Green, and the back sprite. The back sprite looks like a paintbrush. I love the pokémon Yellow sprite for Ninetales.

Years
I prefer Flareon with the white fluff also. It's more offset than the yellow and the tan. Also, all the Eeveelutions seemed to get weird legs in HGSS iirc. I don't feel like gathering sprites right now, but I know Jolteon and Vaporeon were weird. Jolteon's face is the biggest problem though.

Yeah I gotta admit the Eeveelution sprites in HG/SS were designed quite weirdly, namely the first five Eeveelutions. Vaporeon's pose wasn't really that cool which was kinda sad given it's one of my three fave Eeveelutions ever.

But you know, while X/Y changed some thoughts towards certain Pokemon, I love how they colored them closer to the official Sugimori art as opposed to how they colored some sprites until now, take Stunky (and to an extension, Skuntank as well) for example:

Spr_4d_434.png
Spr_4p_434.png
Spr_5b_434.png
434.png

See how much the "tan" colored stripe on its back evolved over the generations. In HG/SS, while it retained its sprite from Platinum it made the tan color lighter but still not close enough to the official art. X/Y finally remedied that, and they finally made its purple darker just like in the official art.

Also, god I remember how derpy it used to look in that sprite in D/P... Platinum made it a bit more fierce-looking lol. But still, I love looking back at how the art of Pokemon sprites has changed over the generations. Definitely shows art skills improve over time I guess.

Years
I like the Nike Furret, it actually does look like it's trying to imitate it. xD

One X/Y sprite I was surprised about is Xatu. All throughout the generations he always stood up, usually with his wings in. When I first saw him in battle, I was surprised he flew! I've never really seen a Xatu fly.

178.png

Compared to:

xatu.gif

Also, does anyone else think some sprites look a little.. bland? The old sprites always looked vivid and colorful, while some models look kinda dull. Numel for example:

322.png
-
numel.gif

If you compare X/Y models to Pokedex 3D Pro models, you can see a difference in color as well.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Haha flying Xatu looks great, i hadnt seen it before! I have to agree on the occasional bland sprites. It does seem like some Pokemon have less color than needed, i wonder why. That flying Xatu reminds me though: I was really suprised to see that Salamence sprite is in flight in X/Y. I know he is a flying type and that he has wings, but since he¨s so very bulky ive always pictured him on his feet.

salamence.gif

Years
I hate all the "flying" Pokemon who don't flap their wings, it looks so mechanic and awkward. Salamence especially looks so weird.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not a fan of the hovering, either. It looks REALLY strange. Unless your ability is Levitate, you should not be hovering like that.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I hate all the "flying" Pokemon who don't flap their wings, it looks so mechanic and awkward. Salamence especially looks so weird.

It makes sense to me for it flap it's wing given it does fly. We just never seen it fly outside the anime.

Am I the only one who finds Hoppip's animation weird?

hoppip.gif

I almost burst out laughing looking at it. I forgotten it flies that way. XD That they animated it differently in past gens.
187.gif

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Yeah that makes sense (and I agree with Jak) but it's still weird to me. I think it should used them like swords for more bossness.

As a Treecko fan , I sort of wish its X and Y animation was more interesting. :/

treecko.gif

But it does show how calm and collected they are so maybe it fits.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
itt kouzan posts sprites while jak makes stupid comments about them

treecko looks like he is inhaling SWAG

and at least shiftry doesn't look like this anymore:

Spr_3r_275.png

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Nah. I haven't had a drink in a while, actually. I plan on just drinking a night away with my boyfriend during spring break, though. We ain't goin' nowhere.

Anyway, I went to take a look at Lugia and just...yeah. A bit disappointing. I'll always be a fan of the Crystal sprite, personally.

Spr_2c_249_s.gif

I should use that as avatar. It doesn't look bad with orange like everything else lmao.

Spr_3r_249.png

I hate this. wtf lugia

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
No babe, you continue to be PC's shiny Lugia.

249.gif

Kind of looks like he can't keep himself in the air.

Back