• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Typing Debate

Years
    Volrock said:
    A lot of dragon types

I'll agree with the Palkia = Dark/Dragon, your Chatot comment, and possibly your Gible comment, but yeah, that's too many dragons. Charizard will never be a dragon; otherwise the game would be thrown out of balance. Tropius is decidedly NOT a dragon.

The ONLY one that I think could be upgraded to dragon is Gyarados, but as someone else said, that would make Gyarados almost overpowered.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    If Gyarados was Water/Dragon then wouldn't that mean its only weakness would be Dragon right?
    Its already an amazingly powerful Pokemon as it is. it doesn't really need any more powerful than it already is
    oAo

I always thought Lugia should be part water type oAo

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Yes, but Stone Edge puts Gyarados down like a lethal injection into a raging polar bear -_-...Anyways, Lugia, to me, should be Water/Dragon. Why? It looks like a dragon, controls storms, and is firggin BEAST!

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I'll agree with the Palkia = Dark/Dragon, your Chatot comment, and possibly your Gible comment, but yeah, that's too many dragons. Charizard will never be a dragon; otherwise the game would be thrown out of balance. Tropius is decidedly NOT a dragon.

The ONLY one that I think could be upgraded to dragon is Gyarados, but as someone else said, that would make Gyarados almost overpowered.

im a dragon & fire trainer lol
    i just go by appearances for alot of the dragons

but with charizard being constantly considered a dragon, might as well be ya know?

gyrados is evil as it is,might as well perfect it lol

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
    Years
    im a dragon & fire trainer lol
    i just go by appearances for alot of the dragons

but with charizard being constantly considered a dragon, might as well be ya know?

gyrados is evil as it is,might as well perfect it lol

Doesn't change the fact that it's a Starter.

Also, if appearance were the criteria in which Pokémon were typed- that would mean nearly damn half of them would have to be retyped- and I can think of more than a few examples in which evolutionary lines would be completely disrupted.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    Okay so here's a new one: Geodude. Rock / Ground. Seriously? It's sprite clearly shows that it's levitates. So how the hell could it be a part Ground type?

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
    how can something be flying and be on the ground at the same time ??? *looking at you gligar and gliscor*

Years
    Okay so here's a new one: Geodude. Rock / Ground. Seriously? It's sprite clearly shows that it's levitates. So how the hell could it be a part Ground type?

how can something be flying and be on the ground at the same time ??? *looking at you gligar and gliscor*
    Look at Claydol. Made of clay, that is, earth, a.k.a. ground. And it levitates, but it makes sense since ground can mean 'made of ground-stuff' instead of 'touching the ground'.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    Let us share our annoyance at some of the typing Game Freak gave some Pokemon. I'll start:

Palkia, Water/Dragon. Seriously? Water? What does that have to do with Space? :S It should have been Pyshic/Dragon, awesome!

Infernape. stupid Blaziken copier, though Blaziken should have been Fire/Flying, then that's be a Charizard copy, which brings us to the debate of that being part Dragon or even a Bird type being made for Blaziken.

Pidgeotto, Fearow, Swellow, Staraptor (OMG only 3-Stage one out of them :o, just realised xD). Why are these evolved goodnesses part Normal? They should be plain Flying or even Bird types... But I guess being part Normal gives them STAB from some moves.

What are some, or all of your typing peeves?

Palkia is part water because pearls are formed underwater. I know it dosn't really make sense but oh well. It could also be a reference to Hydrogen being the most common element in the universe but I doubt that one because Palkia represents space, the 3 dimensions, and not space, as in outer space (the vast region beyond the exosphere).

The Normal-type could be thought of as the unspecialized "default" type. Flying refers to pokemon that have the ability to fly. That is why they are Normal/Flying. "Bird" is not really an elemental type, it merely describes the pokemon in question. Its the same reason there isn't an Alien-type for Deoxys. I can practically hear you screaming "Doduo and Dodrio can't fly"! That is true but they can jump incredibly high, which is close enough for GameFreak.

Blazekin is based on a fighting chicken. Hence why it's not flying, chickens don't fly. Charizard isn't part dragon as that would remove its resistance to water and screw up the starter triangle.

In Generation I, there was only one Dragon-type attack, Dragon Rage; but because it always deals 40 HP of damage, there was no way to do variable Dragon-type damage. There is speculation that this is the reason that Gyarados is not part Dragon-type.

Last edited:

Kenpari

¯\(°_o)/¯ I DUNNO LOL
    Years
    Pinsir should be part flying.
    Gyarados should be part dragon, not flying.
    Swellow, Pidgeotto, Fearow, etc. need to lose their normal... It really doesn't make any sense.
    Whiscash I believe should be just water, as well as Swampert.

Probably a few more, but don't feel like digging around.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015
    Gamefreak just wanted Dragonite's line to be the only Dragon type in Gen 1. Which is why Gyarados is Water/Flying, not Water/Dragon. Probably.

In my opinion, Gamefreak just flipped a coin on whether to make Lugia's secondary typing Water or Psychic. It's Psychic because... yeah. And yet, it could be Water, being lord of the seas.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
    i think taking away normal from the flyers, though reasonable, would make them too weak. with normal, they're immune to ghost attacks

Years
    With Lugia and Ho-Oh, I can understand why Lugia wasn't made part water. That would give him an advantage over Ho-Oh, and they are supposed to be equal. It makes sense that Game Freak would choose two types that have no advantage over each other.

HOWEVER, I think the error lies with Ho-Oh. He should not have been Fire/Flying. We already HAD a Fire/Flying legendary with Moltres. I think the Psychic/Flying should have been Ho-Oh, and the Water/Flying should have been Lugia.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    With Lugia and Ho-Oh, I can understand why Lugia wasn't made part water. That would give him an advantage over Ho-Oh, and they are supposed to be equal. It makes sense that Game Freak would choose two types that have no advantage over each other.

HOWEVER, I think the error lies with Ho-Oh. He should not have been Fire/Flying. We already HAD a Fire/Flying legendary with Moltres. I think the Psychic/Flying should have been Ho-Oh, and the Water/Flying should have been Lugia.

Caveat: Ho-Oh's typing is more than appropriate, based on its base and design.

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    In my opinion, Ho-Oh being related to rebirth and rejuvenation (eg: Ash seeing him flying overhead during times when he really needs inspiration and rejuvenation of spirit) and being able to use something like Sacred Ash and learn Sacred Fire undoubtedly slots him as being related to the phoenix which is undoubtedly related to Fire and Flying.

In which case, perhaps the creators should have reconsidered Ho-Oh's backstory (or perhaps Moltres' backstory) altogether in order to give him a different Type to prevent overlap with Moltres?

Lugia, being the leader of the legendary birds and being able to quell/calm them when things are in upheaval, suggests to me that Lugia would have some sort of mystical Psychic ability.

He reminds me in a way of Mew - Mew who is the ancestor of all Pokemon (a type of 'leader' I guess you could say?) - in being extremely strong and can be extremely destructive if provoked (Mew can transform into any and all Pokemon and therefore can use any and all moves from the most healing to the most damaging) but choosing not to be and secluding himself away and Mew is Psychic also.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Yeah, Ho-Oh's typing annoyed me. I thought it was some special G-d Pokemon, but then I realized Moltress was part Flying. Not so special then Ho-Oh.

scootydd

"Sexy Beast"
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2010
    Isn't ampharos supposed to be like an chinese dragon yet its only electric.

Back