• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Thing is I didn't even choose Insane :( I picked the difficulty that's not the hardest nor the easiest (don't remember how it's called), but allways playing with Battle Style Set and without using Trainer items. Because I know I could just cheese with potions/revives, or change battle style to switch, but my idea was to enjoy challenging yet fair battles.

I don't want to lower the difficulty either because the difficulty decrease is permanent, and I believe the difficulty of the "normal" in-game trainers is fine, so I don't want the whole game to become easier since my main issue so far were gym leaders' bizarre gimmicks.
    I'm guessing you're playing on Expert/Hard then? You should read the FAQ. It says you're basically expected to switch up your team between boss fights for that difficulty.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2023
    Does anyone know where to find summer deerling? Pokedex said it's in Route 12 but it doesn't appear on the Dexnav?
    Also, is there an IV Perfecter in this game?

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Thing is I didn't even choose Insane :( I picked the difficulty that's not the hardest nor the easiest (don't remember how it's called), but allways playing with Battle Style Set and without using Trainer items. Because I know I could just cheese with potions/revives, or change battle style to switch, but my idea was to enjoy challenging yet fair battles.

I don't want to lower the difficulty either because the difficulty decrease is permanent, and I believe the difficulty of the "normal" in-game trainers is fine, so I don't want the whole game to become easier since my main issue so far were gym leaders' bizarre gimmicks.

The 7th gym for me was actually a cake walk, I steamrolled through it with cradilly with "water absorb" on a stockpile, giga drain, energy ball and ingrain w/ held item bigroot and my trusty ferrothorn with its rocky helmet/iron barbs combo with ingrain/curse(amazing move for this 'mon) powerwhip/iron head and she couldn't do F ALL about my typing matchups. Also, you can have a LOT of fun with this gym and create some really OP type matchups which I had LOADS of fun with, such as making "Araquanid" a "Water/Steel" type with "Water Bubble" ability for 10 Resistances OR "Water Absorb" if you want a min that has 11 RESISTENCES + 2 IMMUNITIES, using moves like Iron Defence and absolutely SMASHING the hell out of her mons with moves like Hyro Pump which has 220 BASE Damage before even factoring in SEA Incense or mystic water for another 20% damage haha, absolutely awesome fun Araquanid becomes a hulking tank with that typing lol.

It's fun, honestly, if you take a moment to just look at it an get a little creative with mons and moves, gym 6 and especially 7 are easy to annihilate :).

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    Skeli and people i think that i have found a bug in the game.

I think that the outcome of some actions in the game is pre-determined at the point you enter the battle.

To be exact i saved before having a den battle. After defeating the pokemon and throwing the ball to catch it, it would not be caught every time however many times i reset the game. And i noticed also that each and every time the ball would move two times exactly.

I tried it then with grass. I saved every step until the step i got an encounter. I reset the game and voila i had a first step encounter again. Any time i reset i got an encounter first step.

Then i tried it in battles. Let's stay that i start a battle and save state in my Myboy android emulator. If on turn one i got a critical hit, every time i reset i would get the critical hit. If an opponent's pokemon move did let's say 54 damage, every time i reset would do the exact 54... If let's say a nidorino used a 30% accuracy horn drill successfully, every time that i'd reset the horn drill move would hit making it act like a 100% accurate move. Like it was destined my pokemon to die once the battle started at the specific frame. It is like RNG have no meaning.
    I feel that possibilities are set once you enter an event either it is a den , wild or NPC battle. Did anybody else notice it? And if so is it a bug or is it something on purpose done to reduce cheating the game?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021

I played in Casual, and everything was Fairly easy, and the extra advantages the Leader had were not a superb issue in Casual mode, I reccomend Casual , as the AI is pretty good, even in Casual, and obviously Gym Leaders and E4 have some Broken advantages in their side !

Years
    • Seen today
    I played in Casual, and everything was Fairly easy, and the extra advantages the Leader had were not a superb issue in Casual mode, I reccomend Casual , as the AI is pretty good, even in Casual, and obviously Gym Leaders and E4 have some Broken advantages in their side !

Thanks for the suggestion, but rather than playing on Casual I'd just play something else that's challenging but fair. Like I said I don't want the entire game to become easier because my main issue is the gimmicky "boss fights", not the game's overall difficulty. Don't know how many people liked Inverse Battles but to me that was one of the dumbest ideas in Pokémon games ever, and this game has a gym that forces you to play around that mechanic.

Already checked on Youtube to see if the Elite Four also do these things, and yes they do (and also resort to spamming Legendaries on top of that). Fighting a Ghost-type E4? well surprise, there's some weather(?) that makes Ghosts take less damage...
    That's not genuine challenge, that's basically designing the opponent's team around some 'illegal' advantage to destroy yours. It's like if I wanted to do a Fire-mono run and put a cheat code so that there's allways harsh sunlight.

I'm guessing you're playing on Expert/Hard then? You should read the FAQ. It says you're basically expected to switch up your team between boss fights for that difficulty.

Expected to switch up teams, yet the game isn't precisely friendly towards team building.
    There are other rom hacks / fan games with features like: Free move relearner, easier EV training, things like IV perfecter and Nature changer not being post-game exclusive, etc.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2021
    Hello can anyone tell me what does it mean when you start a new game it asks me about darker version or normal. Is there any difference?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021

Ok I think you are playing on expert mode (1 level below insane level). I was playing on the default which is slightly easier than expert mode (my entire team can have hold items). I think the gym battles were pretty well the same on both modes, I usually use offensive Pokemon but I think on the harder modes it's best to use a combination for both offensive and defensive Pokemon. I managed to complete the main game with my team however I did have to use a few revives/max revives and heal items. Luckily I kept a pretty steady stock of them (limited my purchases for the first little while).

Just stick with it, this game is meant to be challenging although some of the puzzles I need help with not because I don't know what to do but rather the physical limitations with my hands and the fact I'm using MyBoy emulator on my Samsung tablet. (My daughter has to help with some of those).

Rowigrath

The Only Guy Who Likes Maractus
    Years
  • I must be losing my mind, but I cannot find a way to patch the rom. I've tried NUPS, tsukuyomi, and Lunar IPS, but none of them seem to be working. I know HOW to patch a game like this- I literally just did it with Pokemon Radical Red, but for some reason the file for Unbound is not showing up. I downloaded the file from the opening post, and I even got the right Fire Red rom, the Fire Red (U)(Independent) one.

I also didn't find a readme file in the download I got, so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm honestly really confused and would appreciate any help I can get, since I REALLY want to try this game out. Thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2021
    Pokémon Unbound
    Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]
    Introduction
    Hello Pokécommunity, my name is Skeli and this is my one and only ROM Hack. I began ROM Hacking seriously in 2016, and since then I've written various ASM routines, created the Dynamic Pokemon Expansion for FireRed, and created the Complete FireRed Upgrade alongside ghoulslash.
    After much time, I am proud to announce that Pokemon Unbound is finally ready. There are now two fully-featured versions available:
    • The first is the main game, a story driven game with complex puzzles designed to test the limits of your patience and perseverance. Once you clear the main campaign, there is also a significant amount of post-game content to enjoy for weeks to come.
    • The second, known as the Battle Frontier Demo, showcases Unbound's battle engine by granting unrestricted access to the Battle Frontier. This version was created in the format of a mobile game; meaning daily rewards, monthly distributions, and unlimited playtime. If you enjoy battling, then you'll find no shortage of things to do with the over 100 different possible battle combinations. For a fair battling experience, I recommend this version over the main game's Insane difficulty - a difficulty designed around unfair challenges.
    With that being said, enjoy Pokemon Unbound!​

Story
    Welcome to the Borrius Region, a region rich in history. Many years ago the Borrius region fought a brutal war with the Kalos region. The people of the Borrius region summoned a dark force to help them defeat their enemies; however, the war ended in defeat when the king of the Kalos region unleashed the ultimate weapon. With the war over, the dark force was sealed away never to be used again. Many years later, an organization known simply as "The Shadows" seems bent on releasing the dark force once again. It's up to you to stop them and save the Borrius region from ultimate destruction.​

Features
    • A Powerful Engine: Pushing the Complete FireRed Upgrade to its maximum potential, Pokemon Unbound contains a custom battle engine on par with Gen 8, as well as many quality of life features that improve the gameplay experience just waiting to be found. Enjoy catching all of your favourite Pokemon, from Gen 1 up to Gen 7, while using all of your favourite moves and abilities from each of these generations!​
    • Features Galore: Pokemon Unbound is also chock full of features to enjoy, such as Unlimited Bag Space, Auto-Run, DexNav, Daily Raids, Inverse Battles, and much more!​
    • A New HM System: Have access to all of your favourite HMs without the hassle of carrying HM slaves! As long as your Pokemon can learn an HM, they will be able to use it in the overworld, and once you purchase the brand new key item - the ADM in the post-game, enjoy battling with all six Pokemon from your favourite team regardless of the HMs they can learn!​
    • Updated Graphics: Sporting Gen 4 graphics in the overworld and Gen 5-esqe interfaces, in addition to a dynamic day and night system, Pokemon Unbound has a brand new, yet familiar feel! You're not in Kanto anymore!​
    • Difficulty Modes: Choose from up to four different difficulty modes! Ranging from Easy to Insane, you can either sit back and relax or get your teeth kicked in by a completely brand new AI system!​
    • A Unique Mission System: Pokemon Unbound contains over 75 unique Missions to complete! Mission progress can be tracked using the new Mission Log, in addition to extra details, such as which items have been found in collectathons!​
    • Character Customization: Choose from up to 300 different combinations of skin tones, hair colours, and outfit colours! Unleash your fashion sense!​
    • Daily Events: There are plenty of events all over Borrius, many of which can be experienced daily, and some can only be found at certain points in the day! Play throughout the day to experience them all!​
    • Exciting Mini-Games: Play exciting mini-games such as Safari Sniper and Underground Mining!​
    • Challenging Puzzles: Put your brain to the test, and find ways to solve many of the unique and complex puzzles littered throughout Borrius!​
    • A Rich Post-Game: Spend hours after the main campaign battling in Pokemon Unbound's battle facilities, completing Missions, mining in the KBT Expressway, catching Legendary Pokemon, and so much more!​
    • A Custom OST: Enjoy over 50 unique songs composed for Pokemon Unbound, each as brilliant as the last!​

Screenshots

Videos

Special Thanks
    • Golche for sprite work, feedback, music and bug testing, and all around good work.
    • RowdyHD for the logo and support art.
    • Theharth for many things such as testing, trainer text, menial labour, etc.
    • Blanders, Humanly, Potatoboss, TimelessHeir, and PhazonRuler for astounding music composition.
    • Nex for sprites and making the amazing title screen background.
    Criminon for plenty of sprites and UI designs.
    • Dr. Fuji, Hillsy13, and U.Flame for their great mapping work.
    • Kamina for great sprite redesigns.
    Lixdel for helping with a ton of stuff, including move animations, data insertion, and thorough bug testing.
    Gail for helping test the CFRU in its infancy and plenty of bug testing afterwards.
    • Patrickz for in-depth bug testing and AI suggestions.
    • HnzMtthw for a great job bug testing and designing concept art.
    • Sevenk for a great job bug testing and offering suggestions for improvements.
    • Strudelmuffin for coming up with some great late-game puzzles.
    • Noodlewhiz for handling bug reports and his research into the correct mining implementation.
    • Phantom Phoenix for his VS fix and other early ROM Hacking help.
    • Achromatic for his CSS Template as a Base.
    • PRET for their astounding work with the decomps, a large reason Unbound is where it's at today.

Credits
    Spoiler:

Bugs
    All of the bugs and changes from the official games are listed in the attached readme file. If you find a bug not mentioned, please report it in the hack's Discord channel.

FAQ
    Spoiler:

Documentation
    Level-up movesets
    Egg Moves
    Evolution Methods
    Base Stats & Wild Held Items
    Battle Frontier Info

Main Story Completion
    100%

Battle Engine Completion
    100%

Post Game Completion
    90%

Downloads

Unbound 1.0.1
    Original Release Date: December 1, 2020
    Update Date: December 3, 2020
    Completion: This is the completed version of Pokemon Unbound. A couple of areas from the post-game are still missing, but there is plenty to do in the meantime.
    Update: Plenty of clarifications and bug fixes.

Unbound Battle Frontier 1.4.5.1
    Original Release Date: July 1, 2019
    Update Date: August 3, 2020
    Completion: This is a demo version that allows you to play exclusively in the Borrius region's Battle Frontier. It contains four battle facilities enjoy, as well as Raid Battles and a Safari Zone demo.
    Update: Gigantamax, Another PC Box, Bug Fixes, + More (See changelog)

Spoiler:

Special Distributions
    In honour of Pokemon Unbound's official release, December's special distribution for both the main game and the Battle Frontier Demo is a Shiny Floette Eternal! In the Battle Frontier Demo it's holding a Fairium Z, while in the main game it's holding Choice Specs. If you're playing the main game, talk to the green deliveryman on the second floor of any Pokemon Center to enter the password to receive this Pokemon! If you're playing the Battle Frontier Demo, talk to the green deliveryman in the Pokemon Center at the bottom of the Battle Frontier to enter the password to receive this Pokemon!​

Password: 1YX5RA7UR9MF
    Start Date: December 1, 2020
    End Date: December 31, 2020

Awards

Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED] Pokémon Unbound [COMPLETED]
    • HOTY 2019: Most Graphical Appeal
    • HOTY 2019: Best Gameplay
    • HOTY 2019: Fan Favourite

Support us!

https://discord.gg/k34Jm4T
    Probably the best rom hack of all time.Surpassing even glazed and light platinum in my opinion.It would be really helpful if there was a pokemon locations guide.

rwbonesy

Dogulus Rift
    Years
  • honestly i disagree, something like Gaia feels more cohesive as a whole

i feel like Unbound is hobbled by poor difficulty scaling mechanics and a mediocre 2edge5me original plot that sits somewhere between Insurgence and Reborn on the "why" factor

but muh technically impressive romhacks must be the best thing ever!

i hope more people provide actual feedback at some point if Skeli decides to make any other romhacks

EDIT: just so i'm not ragging on it completely-i do appreciate what the expressway is trying to do as well as the general lack of HM usage. the missions feature is an interesting addition.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    I'm doing a mission near Day Care, and I need to show a Mime Jr., where can I find him or Mr. Mime?

Years
  • do the levels adjust to just the pokemon on your team? or does it check for every pokemon you own including boxed ones? maybe you can try boxing your starter for a bit and vs seeker grind the lower leveled guys?

i'm already well past dehara and into the next mission a few towns over and i haven't run into one either. we'll need to wait if the creator decides to make documentations. which pokemon do you need evolving?

i need to evolve my roselia since it's becoming too frail for fully evolved mons

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2020
    Can you get all the Zygarde cells or do we need to wait till the post game is completed?

Back