• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Wild World

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2022
    Let us leave the modern world and go back, back, back... to centuries before the Pokémon world we know today. You are one of the Draconid people, an old clan who are the lorekeepers of the dragons. That is your family story, anyway. You are content to live a quiet life on the family farm, until your mother receives a summons from the capitol. The services of the lorekeepers are required. Your mother is too old for the grueling journey, so you go in her place. As you journey through the untamed wilds, small villages, and eventually huge castles, you will unravel more and more about your purpose, and it has to do with the sightings of a large green dragon seen soaring through the sky.

I am happy to announce Pokémon: Wild World, currently in development. This will be my second game. Pokémon: Old Amber is for all purposes finished, although I will be providing a future update to add in extra difficulty modes and Generation 8 pokémon later. While Old Amber aimed to provide a completionist experience for fans of the Gold/Silver games who wanted to be able to catch all the pokémon from generations 1 through 7, Wild World goes in a MUCH different direction.

For starters, I have gone the Sword/Shield route and trimmed the Pokédex. I may add in the rest as post-game content, but as of now, the Pokédex is limited to 500 pokémon, which will still keep you busy. I have eliminated many pokemon, but kept the trimming quite reasonable. I have also eliminated ALL of the traditional Grass/Fire/Water starters from the core games (yes, even your favorite), MOST of the legendary and mythical pokémon (there are only 12), and I also trimmed down the list of Dragon pokémon because they are supposed to be rare and mysterious. After some feedback I received, I have decided to keep Eevee along with its evolutions. However, this will be handled in a much different way than you are used to.

The Normal type has been altered. Rather than simply being "typeless", I decided to make "normalcy" an actual force. It's an anti-magic force. It's supereffective against Fairy, it is weak to Fighting and Dragon, it resists Psychic and Fairy, and it retains its mutual immunity to Ghost. Rock also loses its resistance to Normal.

Poké Balls have been replaced with Apricorns. Different Apricorns have different effects, so the mechanics are similar. You can harvest Apricorns from trees that eventually grow back, or you can buy them from vendors.

The story is much different than the traditional Pokémon plot of collecting badges and battling the Elite Four. There's none of that. Instead, the storyline is more like a traditional fantasy JRPG. There is more room for exploration and sidequests.

Speaking of sidequests, there are several wild pokémon that will only appear if certain conditions are met. For example, in a certain haunted forest, Phantump will start appearing if you get lost. This is the only way to catch a Phantump, but it also means that your pokémon will start mysteriously fainting one-by-one until they are all gone and the forest claims you. Another example is Zorua being disguised as random NPCs. Ralts will only appear if your team's happiness is above a certain threshold, since it can sense emotions and only shows itself to kind trainers.

Magic replaces technology in a lot of instances. Instead of HMs, you have "spells", which function as items rather than moves while still requiring certain types of pokémon to be used.

There's no edginess for the sake of being edgy, but this still has a more mature storyline than the official games. Your character is a young adult on a mission of importance rather than fun.

TMs are now "Tomes" and are reusable.

There are no gym leaders, but there are optional "Masters". They are more challenging than gym leaders, but they are optional battles that grant you rewards, such as Tomes.

Aside from early trainers, enemy trainers in this game have better teams than what you would find in the official games. However, they are also fewer in number.

Like Old Amber, trainers cannot use items during battle, but held items are permitted. In fact, potions, full restores, etc. don't even exist in this game. Berries will be your primary healing items. If you get paralyzed mid-battle, and your pokemon isn't holding a Berry that can heal it, you're just going to have to deal with being paralyzed until the battle is over.

Combined Species

This might be one of the more controversial design choices. While trying to limit the Pokedex while still having a large variety of pokemon, I made the choice to combine certain species into multi-form species. For example, the Nidoran line has been combined. The line is now Nidoran => Nidorini => Nidoarch. The form names still reflect the original. So if a Nidoarch is male, its form name will be Nidoking, and it will be Nidoqueen if female. The male and female forms retain their separate base stats and other relevant specs. The only change is that they share a Pokedex entry now.

I have also combined Volbeat and Illumise into Illubee. If its male, it will look like a Volbeat, and if it's female, it will look like an Illumise. Plusle and Minun have also been combined into Minsle. Which one appears in any given encounter is completely random. Just catch one and you get credit for both in the Pokedex. Solrock and Lunatone are now Lunarock.

So who are the starters?

The starters are Horsea, Elekid, and Magby.

You will notice a few things. First of all, I am not doing the typical type triangle where a rival chooses the type you are weak to cliché. Secondly, you will notice that all three of these pokémon typically have a trade item final evolution. No trades will be necessary though. There will be a way to evolve them to their final forms relatively late in the game.

Their EXP growth rates have been altered to be more consistent with traditional starters.

So which one should you choose? Although any of them are viable, I can tell you that each one may have a slight advantage in certain parts of the game. The general breakdown estimate is as follows.

Early game: Magby has the advantage.
    Mid game: Elekid has the advantage.
    Late game: Horsea has the advantage.

Why did you remove my favorite pokémon?

I will address my reasons by category.

I removed the traditional starters because they are just redundant at this point. The Grass/Fire/Water triad should have NEVER been carried past Generation 1. I considered including only three or possibly six starter lines from previous games, but decided a fresh start would be better. In my previous game, Old Amber, there was a Safari Zone where you could catch all of these starters, but that was there purely for completionists. I downplayed their presence in the game significantly. In Wild World, they have been removed entirely.

Some pokémon simply add no value to the games whatsoever. Unown was nice to have around for plot reasons in the official games, but I have no need of it here. Other pokémon are just redundant. Take the Gothita and Solosis lines for example. They are very similar to each other, but the Gothita line looks cooler, so it stays while the weird green blob goes.

As for the dragon pokémon, I remember in the first two generations where the Dratini line were the only Dragon pokémon in the games. Don't worry, I didn't reduce their numbers back to that level, but I removed a few, including the Skrelp, Tyrunt, Bagon, Jangmo-o, and Goomy lines, as well as most of the legendary Dragon pokémon except for Zygarde and Rayquaza.

On the subject of legendary and mythical pokémon, there are only 12, which consist of the following:

[REDACTED]
    Diancie
    Suicune
    Marshadow
    Xerneas
    Yveltal
    Zygarde
    [REDACTED]
    [REDACTED]
    Rayquaza
    [REDACTED]
    [REDACTED]

I'm not going to spoil the plot points by listing them all.

Without technology, how will I...

Catch pokémon without pokéballs?

Use apricorns.

Store pokémon without a PC?

Each town has a magic shrine. It's rumored that these shrines are linked to a powerful mythical pokémon in some way, but that is for you to discover.

View species information without a Pokédex?

You have a journal, which resembles a pen and paper Pokédex. You can also consult it for information on your quests.

Heal pokémon without a Pokémon Center?

Each town has a Healing Tree. You can enter these trees to find a tamed silvery Trevenant inside that will heal your party for free.

The world of Velich

The region you are in is called Velich (veh-leech), meaning "Majestic" in the Draconid language. It was once called "The Land Touched By Dragons" by peoples in the East. The Great Cataclysm of 300 years ago broke the land, splitting the continent into two, forming new mountains, and leaving parts of the lands as desolate wastes. More recently, Velich was once again struck by tragedy when the West attempted to secede from the monarchy 40 years ago, thus sparking the Velichan Civil War that once again ravaged the land. It is in this context that you find yourself, a West Velichan and descendant of the Draconid tribe living a quiet life on Starly Farm until the tumultuous events of the broader world pull you out of that peaceful life and force you to confront monumental powers.

The vision behind Wild World

Wild World is heavily inspired by Zelda as well as JRPG games like Breath of Fire and Golden Sun. It also borrows the centrality of lore and talking to NPCs from the Elder Scrolls series. This game is best played with a curious mindset. Talk to the NPCs, read lore journals to learn more about the world and the story, solve mysteries in creative ways, and seek out the secrets of the world. Most importantly, leave behind your notions about what a pokémon should be and instead think about what can be.

I'm interested. How can I help?

Quite honestly, the only thing I really need help with is promotional graphic design. If you can make good intro animations and splash screens, or a logo, I would be very interested in speaking with you.

Screenshots

Pokémon: Wild World

Last edited:

Karbol

Not a Clown but The Entire Circus!
    Years
  • My God, this sounds almost too good to be true. But since you already have a completed game, I'm actually getting my hopes up for this game.

I'll play Old Amber now so I can get more accustomed to your work, but I'm certainly going to be expecting this one!

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2022
    Hello, it has been a while since I've updated. I have been waiting on Gen 8 data in order to include Gen 8 pokemon, moves, and abilities. I am now at that point when I can do so. As such, I have updated a final Pokedex of all the Pokemon that will be available in this game. It's not all of them, but I tried to get a good balance while keeping rarity of certain types in mind (Dragon). Some species have been combined into multi-form species. For example, Plusle and Minun are now one species in the Pokedex, but will still appear in two different forms. Without further ado, here is the Velich Pokedex:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2021
    Hello, after finding this I've become quite interested in the idea. May I ask how progress is going, since the thread has been rather quiet? Of course I don't mean to rush you or anything. Thanks in advance in case you reply!

Back