• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Ok we all like Pokémon, but what was your first idea of it? Did you think it was stupid at first? Or did you like it. What does your family think about you liking Pokémon? [/Discuss]

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I loved it, my parents thought it was okay when I was little. But now that Im older they keep telling me to grow up xDD

I dont think I will ever outgrow pokemon

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I.. don't remember what I initially thought of Pokemon XD. All of my memories were after I was a fanatic. My parents don't like me liking it, they keep saying that I'm too old for it, but I guess they don't mind that much.

Moskau

Oh, dear...
    Years
    I was addicted from the very moment I first started plying my brother's Red Version on his Old School Game Boy. I had to beg my parents to get me my own Game Boy Colour and Blue version...

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
    I found out about it after seeing an episode of the anime. I thought it was amazing from the moment I saw it. I was a creative little kid and loved all the weird/scary/adorable monsters. :]

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    To be honest, I didn't want to go with the crowd. Everyone liked it and I felt like a big loser. I was at my friend's house and that's all he and his sister were talking about. So I left his room and sat on the stairs for a few minutes and randomly yelled "Alright! I'll like Pokemon!" and so here I am today: moderator of all things good and old in the Pokemon world. :D

Loved it after that, btw. 1998 - 2009. It doesn't end.

Ayselipera

I loved it the moment I saw it. I can't even explain it. I just remember watching the first episode and instantly falling in love with it.

When I was little my parents thought it was cute. Now that I'm a lot older they make fun of me. :D

RUBY8

POKEMON FTW
    Years
    Well at first i liked it there wasnt really any problem.... and as 4 my parents they could care less what i like and when people say "do u like pokemon i say yeah i play it besides that i dont play it that often cuz of school and stuff but it is fun and there r other games i like also like mario,zelda,halo,gears of war,kingdom hearts etc.

But other than that playing pokemon doesnt mean your immature or anything because its rated E which doesnt mean for kids it means for everyone.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Once I first heard about it. I thought it was dumb for like 4 days maybe. Then my friend offer me to battle this trainer that he couldn't beat. I won the battle and he was like dude. you should play these games. Red version was my first pokemon game and look what it took me. I love playing playing pokemon games cause winning battles is awesome and raising cute/strong pokemon is so dope!!!

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    As a kid, I thought it was incredible and my mom really enjoyed it as well. She knew how into it I was but she doesn't know I like it now. My first impression always stuck with me and here I am at 18 years old and still really into it.

Asgard

Why you little...
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    I first heard about Pokemon through the anime - not a lot of people I knew back then had Gameboys, I think. D: I didn't wanna like it as a kid because everyone else liked it that I knew. :I I think I got into it because my cousins rented us a VHS of the anime at Blockbuster one day and I liked it... I don't remember how old I was, though. -w-;

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I didn't think much of it (initially thought it was gonna be a Tamagotchi ripoff with "pet monsters" b/c of Nintendo Power's initial description of it) until I saw the Nintendo Power Pokemon inserts with the R/B game strategies way back when. And it wasn't the Pokemon themselves that attracted me initially - it was the fact that it was the first RPG I ever saw and I thought the concept - venturing out into the world - was intriguing. The rest, they say, is history.

My parents say that Pokemon is silly, but that's more directed at the fact that my brother still tapes every episode of the anime, for reasons known only to him XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    I love the concept of Pokemon in its own right. Having powerful creatures that can be used as pets or battled with. That's truly spectacular. I was first introduced to the Anime first I think. I don't watch it anymore but I play the games. XD

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    The first time I saw Pokémon was on the television. I didn't say to myself it seemed stupid at the time because I was a kid, I was into all those things. So I actually got into watching the anime and started enjoying the series. Not too long after I got into the TCG, but I had no clue how to play. So, you can just say I collected the cards until I got into the games.

My first game happened to be Ruby, which I really enjoyed. That's when I decided to go back in line playing Red, then Yellow, then Silver and Crystal. Afterward, I ended up playing the newer generations, such as Emerald, FRLG, DPPt, and now HeartGold/SoulSilver.

My parents, even up to to now, don't find it ridiculous that I'm into it. They say it gives me something to do and keeps me off the streets. So, it's a benefit to them as well as myself.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    My first ever encounter with Pokemon was when I was ten years old. It was a normal day at my Primary school, I was new there (only two weeks in). So, I was sitting there thinking about my latest maths test when a boy in my class came up to me and asked "Hey mate, do you like Pokemon?" I replied that I didn't know what he was talking about and he just laughed at me and walked off. This left me feeling dejected because I hated not knowing things that others knew. Later, at lunchtime, I approached him and asked him what Pokemon was. He told me that it was a game that you play on the Gameboy where you catch monsters and train them. I actually thought this was a cool concept so I went home and asked my dad to buy me a Gameboy and a Pokemon game. Later in the week, I learnt a lot about Pokemon through the internet and the word of mouth and when I got home, a suprise was waiting for me in the form of a brand new Gameboy Advance and a copy of Pokemon Red, Silver and Fire Red. I thanked my dad and he told me to continue with my good school work and he'll get me whatever I wanted. After about three weeks, I had completed Pokemon Red and started to take a huge liking to the games.

It wasn't until I was twelve and I first set eyes on the anime that I actually started to love Pokemon. Anyway, I came home to another suprise. My dad had purchased Sky (cable TV) for us in the living room and I straight away turned to the kids channels where, in Cartoon Network, Pokemon was airing. At first I thought it was going to be a long playthrough of the games but after I tuned in and watched a couple of episodes of Pokemon: Johto Journey, I was absolutley hooked. The anime and games continued and my fandom has been strong ever since.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    To be honest, I didn't want to go with the crowd. Everyone liked it and I felt like a big loser. I was at my friend's house and that's all he and his sister were talking about. So I left his room and sat on the stairs for a few minutes and randomly yelled "Alright! I'll like Pokemon!" and so here I am today: moderator of all things good and old in the Pokemon world. :D

Loved it after that, btw. 1998 - 2009. It doesn't end.
    And hopefully it won't end. Its so addicting 8D

Years
    I can't remember how old I was or anything, but it was well before Pokemon R/B/Y came out in the UK & US. I had this magazine that I was reading on the way back from some relatives and it had a huge poster with all 150 (well, then 150) pokemon on it. I had no idea what they were but thought they were awesome and me and my little sister played a pretend game about them. I remember really liking how Nidoking looked :P

Then I watched the anime a couple of times and got quite addicted to it. I thought it was pronounced 'poke-man' instead of 'pokaymon' xD Then my dad downloaded me a ROM of Pokemon Red and I played it on the computer avidly until it came out in the UK and I could get a cartridge for myself. :) From then on I was completely addicted and pretty much still am, though I go through phases of not playing it much.

Back