• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pok?mon Academy Life (Visual Novel) - DEMO v1.0.3a LIVE

How should characters be associated with Pokémon types?

• With their signature Pokémon (if any)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Based on their personalities

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2021
This is honestly brilliant, also technically my first visual novel -if it is one- don't really know the genre. Initially I didn't think I would enjoy it too much but absolutely loved it. Quite surprised when it ended so randomly and made me a bit sad knowing that it isn't going to be finished for a while (unless it is done and you are just finishing parts out) although that doesn't seem realistic due to the complexity and detail that is put into the game. Overall, amazing. Keep up the great work!

Sevinc

Playing Pokemon since 2000~~~
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 17, 2017
Hi! Just wanted to say keep up the good work yeah! Its been amazing so far in the 1st hour of demo play and I honestly wish there is much more to see :) Kudos to you and I hope to see more gameplay available soon!

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
KOLyV2S.png

INTRODUCTION

Welcome to the fifth "Ask Me Almost Anything" (AMAA) post, where we answer your questions as development on Pok?mon Academy Life continues. Can you believe we haven't done one of these since July 2016? Whoops!

For those who have just started following recently, each time we post one of these, the goal is to share some insight on what goes through our heads when we consider or implement ideas. Why did we choose to include something and not another? Why did we set up different types of content a certain way? Hopefully this series will shed some light and help you understand a little more about the game's development.

Unfortunately, we won't be answering all questions (hence the "almost" in AMAA). If you asked something and it wasn't answered, either it's impossible for us to answer without being spoilerific, it's already answered somewhere in the game details, older AMAAs, or we simply couldn't understand it.

CmFkHhU.png
CmFkHhU.png
CmFkHhU.png

?What inspired you to make this game??
submitted by lots and lots of people

We answered this early on in development, but essentially the visual novel medium is surprisingly devoid of any strong fan-created content around the Pok?mon universe. That's really it.

?Your party can only fit six Pok?mon. Are Pikachu and Charmander required to be part of the team??
submitted by lots and lots of people

Not at all! Much like in the core series games, you don't have to keep your starter on your team during your entire playthrough. You might be with your starter for a fair portion of the game, especially early on, but you can certainly swap it out for another member anytime you wish.

In the visual novel, Charmander is your homeroom starter, so you'll be responsible for training him and keeping him happy. This doesn't mean you always have to use him in battle. The same applies for Pikachu. As they're both scripted Pok?mon with roles in the plot, some events with them may also be scripted. We don't want you to think of them as burdens, but we also certainly don't want you to outright ignore them.

?When Lance says your Pikachu is weak, I couldn't help but wonder if IVs were going to be part of the game. Are they??
submitted by EonBen

You're a keen one. The inspiration did come from IVs. The "Your Pikachu is decent" line is actually a reference to the IV Judge rating from the core series games. Anyway, no, we don't plan on including IVs (or EVs for that matter), but we can't exactly rule it out at this point either.

?About how many Pok?mon are going to be implemented??
submitted by David S.

Approximately 500 are planned across all seven Generations. Not all will be available as some are exclusive to some characters. This is all subject to change, of course.

?I'm curious how you plan to pace the story over the 3-year period you've told us about. Basically, are we getting three smaller arcs that add up to form one large arc, or is it just one large arc over the three years at Kokuban??
submitted by Irishwolfe13

There will be one core story throughout the three years, which is one many of us are familiar with: starting as a no-name individual and becoming a legend. Rookie to pro. Zero to hero.

...That's one ending. We can't share any more than that.

However, each year will also have a few scripted sub-plots. We also can't share any details about them right now! And of course, many of your favorite characters will also have their own individual side stories that are separate from the main storyline.

?Will choosing different roommates affect what we can do? Like when you pick Calem you get the chance to join the student council. Could you still join the council with other groups of friends??
submitted by OffTheNarwhal

Short answer is yes, different roommates will give you opportunities to different content. That said, we don't exactly want to deny people content based on a single decision you make way early in the game. The student council is one of them. While someone like Cheren is always going to be gunning for the student council, you may not get the whole story from him unless you're his roommate. We don't want someone who picked Brendan and Tierno as roommates find out that the student council is a feature much later on. Then they think, "That sounds pretty cool, I want to check that out," and realize they're unable to join simply because they didn't pick the "right" roommate 10 hours earlier. That would suck!

Having certain roommates will make it easier or harder for you to access different content. If we're using the student council as an example, then having Calem or Cheren as roommates will essentially give you priority or front row seats to that content. Meanwhile, if you picked Brendan or Tierno, then you might have to work a little harder to make your way into that crowd.

We do want to include some subtle, but high-impact differences that are exclusive to certain roommates. They won't affect the main story, but if you like these characters, they should hopefully make the overall experience much more enjoyable. These differences will not be as noticeable early on (such as in the demo) as the setting and core game mechanics are getting introduced and established bit by bit.

?With the addition of battle mechanics and wild Pok?mon, what do you expect the ratio of gameplay and story to come out to? How invested will players have to be in the gameplay elements if they're more interested in just the story and romance??
submitted by Aerik

Great question. Let's start off by saying you're probably not going to do so well if all you do is socialize. That's how schools work, right? As you're part of an elite Pok?mon academy, you're expected to hit your marks and grow as a Trainer. And part of the process will involve training and raising your Pok?mon.

Open world free exploration is going to be a core feature at different stages of the game. It is up to you to manage your limited time between interacting with friends, meeting new people, training your Pok?mon, catching new Pok?mon to add to your team, attending clubs, raising your personal traits to unlock content, etc.

?Will Pok?mon battles only be restricted to if you're on the Battle Team or will battles occur in random locations like the main games??
submitted by FieryEmbr

There will be scripted battles as well as player-initiated battles during open world free exploration (we like to call the latter scrimmage matches).

?How will studying for quizzes work??
submitted by Rory Scarlett

The thing about quizzes in this visual novel is that part of them requires you to study on your own in real life. Professor Oak has a line that says, "Make sure to look over the readings online tonight." He actually meant that literally.

That's just one part, though. Those will prepare you for the random general questions. Sometimes there will be hints for future questions, but not always. During free exploration periods, you can also have the option of studying rather than socializing or doing anything else. In turn, at the cost of sacrificing these activities, you'll be rewarded with useful info for upcoming quizzes.

?Will gifts to bond with others more easily be implemented into the game??
submitted by BuizelKing

We plan on including gifts for specific people, but we haven't decided on how exactly we want to implement them.

?Given Red's special 'gift,' can we expect to possibly see N at all, seeing that he possesses a similar talent in the games??
submitted by AzHasANewName

Right. Similar, but different. N's mysterious ability is heavily dependent on his equally mysterious background and origin. He literally hears Pok?mon talk. Red doesn't have that ability. He's more along the lines of in-the-gut, intuitive understanding. He can't understand Pok?mon speech literally, but he "gets it." Vice versa, Pok?mon "get him."

Spoiler alert? Well, you all know Yellow is going to be present at some point. Red's ability is more similar to Yellow's than N's, but still not exactly like hers, which is more psychic-based.

We didn't actually answer the question, did we? Whoops. Oh well, let's just stop here.

?What was the thought process behind revamping the opening? When 1.0.2 was released, that seemed to be the one thing we were certain was finished.?
submitted by greyscalemoon

Oh, the original prologue had always bothered us to some degree... since the very beginning. The hook was weak, some parts were overextended, etc. Based on early feedback, it didn't seem like too many players were equally as bothered, though some criticisms did exist. It wasn't until after the Game Grumps did their random run through the prologue that we finally pulled the trigger.

Can't rule out some more revisions for the prologue, but we don't plan on anything as drastic as the change from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3. It certainly is somewhat amusing for us that the title and opening sequence don't appear until about an hour into the visual novel.

1) ?How many clubs will you be able to join? I know joining too many clubs can be over excessive, but I was just curious about the limit.?
2) ?I was wondering since in the latest demo some class periods were skipped while others weren't. Are the majority of the days going to be like that or will you have to go through all of the class periods like on the first day??

submitted by Content_J

Double questions! We answered the club question a while back and our answer hasn't changed. Technically you can be in a maximum of two clubs. You'll be able to join one of your choice and forced into the Battle Team for the other. Originally we were going to make the Battle Team optional, but after realizing how difficult it would be to script the main storyline, we needed a focus point to fall back on. That ended up being the Battle Team, which made the most sense to us in the "zero to hero" setup as well as one of the most iconic features in the Pok?mon franchise (that would be battling, in case you're wondering). It's also for balancing purposes because we don't want club activities to completely clash with free exploration opportunities.

As for time skips, yes, that will be a recurring element. The game will never be finished if each day was like April 5 (first day). If for some reason we were forced to script out every day of all three years the way we scripted out April 5, we would drop the project immediately and move on with our individual lives.

That said, some days will be more eventful than others. Just like in real life, some days are more memorable than others. Don't you ever go home and sometimes just can't seem to remember what you did earlier in the day? That just flew right by, didn't it? Those are the time skip days.

?What made you guys decide the change in Lance's character? If you watch the series and manga, you know what I mean.?
submitted by TheeTrueLee

Nothing was "changed," per se. Keep in mind that the visual novel is not meant to be tied to any known Pok?mon universe. Some characters will have personalities similar to counterparts in other media. Some will not. The Lance in the core series games is similar to the Lance in the anime, but is not the same as the Lance in the Pok?mon Adventures manga, and is not the same as the Lance in this visual novel.

?Can you talk about that new blonde girl you meet in the city? She has to be important, right??
submitted by Josh M.

She'll have a role. Can't say what, though.

CmFkHhU.png
CmFkHhU.png
CmFkHhU.png

That's all for now! Hopefully you learned something and maybe you have even more questions now. I will try to post one of these each month around the second or third week. If you have an interesting development-related question you want answered, you can tweet at PokemonVisual, post on our Facebook fan page, or email [email protected].

PREVIOUS AMAA | NEXT AMAA (N/A)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 7, 2018
How does someone play this? The Download File is downright massive, are future updates going to require more massive amounts of Memory Storage?

Years
To be honest, whatever the file size is still completely worth it xD
I really can't wait for the next update!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Hello,

earlier today, I decided to give this a try and I have to say that every minute spent playing was worth it. As a person who was always more interested in storylines than into infinite battles , I instantly became a huge fan of your work. Because I couldn´t stop playing, I managed to play until the end of the demo and now I can´t wait to see more. I'm really amazed what can one do with great idea and skills.
Characters look exceptionally good, especially the girls - all of them are quite hot and I wouldn't mind virtually dating any of them xD. Also, as her biggest fan, I really like the idea of Leaf (Green) being around a lot (I'm not sure if it is intentional in every playthrough, but it happened in mine), I'm just little bit disappointed that she turned down a date xD. Anyway, I feel a certain mystery around her, so I'm ready to find out what will happen next.

In the end,I want to wish you only the best and don't you dare to stop working on it, because you would make me very disappointed xD

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
I have a question regarding clubs. Just how many clubs are planned excluding the Battle team?
There will be several. You'll be able to pick one in addition to the battle team.

Can't Wait!!! Will we be able to pick pokemon we catch or naww
Not so much full picking as there is RNG involved. Pokémon you obtain throughout the visual novel will be wild RNG-based as well as scripted event-based.

Randomnessly

SO I HERD U LEIK MUDKIPZ
Years
I just read through the ENTIRE CHAT history of this game...

There are so many supporters, great people, and amazing writers/programmers/developers who are working on this. I think I found this game when it was still in it's early stages of development. I didn't think much of it and just moved on to other things. I think that was a mistake. I should have just stayed on that page and inspected it a little further because what I didn't know is that this phenomenal, fan-made Pokémon adventure would become very unique and one of a kind(literally).

I love using colors to make text pop-out.

Years
Been away from PokeCommunity for years and so happy to be back here. Can't believe I've missed many great games; like this one!
It's nice that you chose different genre other than traditional strategy RPG like most fan-made Pokemon games. And the graphic is also amazing. Keep up the great work!

Back