• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity Tutoring?

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
Years
  • Well... this idea came up out of selfishness simply because I've been looking for a battle tutor and Smogon's tutor service is closed for now, and I can't find one any where else.

Seriously though I know this community isn't a battle-driven one, however I do know that there are some really experienced battlers who reside here. So I was wondering if it would be a good idea for PC to offer its own tutoring service. Now I'm not sure exactly how many "pro" battlers there are, but there should be a decent amount due to the sheer population of the forum. So uh... just throwing it out there =D

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Approved this because... I think it's a neat idea.

We're always open to ideas, and it's something I'd (personally) consider. With PC getting a shoddy server back soon, it's a possibility.

I might merge this thread into the staff forums where S&M staff talk about these things and other ways to improve S&M. But just know suggestions like these don't go unnoticed. :D

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Approved this because... I think it's a neat idea.

We're always open to ideas, and it's something I'd (personally) consider. With PC getting a shoddy server back soon, it's a possibility.

I might merge this thread into the staff forums where S&M staff talk about these things and other ways to improve S&M. But just know suggestions like these don't go unnoticed. :D

Yeah i agree with this pretty much. It might help expand our competitive community, which is always a good thing.

Well Dark_Azelf has nothing to do with his life so he'll be glad to offer. ^____^ -shot-
    Spoiler:

^________^ ekeke

Anyways, if Anti and Luke approves i see no reason why we cant do this.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    So I'm assuming this will be similar to Smogon's Battling 101? I like the idea, and I guess that tutors should be hand-picked from the likes of D_A, Anti, and Britney?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • So I'm assuming this will be similar to Smogon's Battling 101? I like the idea, and I guess that tutors should be hand-picked from the likes of D_A, Anti, and Britney?
    Maybe, maybe not. We'll see what we come up with. We might me able to merge tutoring with a week or so of promoting and telling people to give Strategy & Movesets a frequent visit. (we need more activity here, after all)

Tutors might even be some of us former S&M staff (like me -- heck, I was using offensive teams when people thought it was crazy to consider such, lol -- tutoring might drag me back into competitive play again), and current ones like D_A and such. (I know Luke, B. Spears, might want to help someone with UU or something)

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • Sounds like a fun idea to me, there was an idea like this in the Wifi Battle Stadium but it epic failed. Seems like S&M could probably do it better anyway \o/

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I'm a little less enthusiastic about this and I'll tell you why. First of all, we really don't have many tutors. Assuming D_A, Luke, AND myself do it, we really don't have many active members that I'd feel comfortable saying "yeah, this person is good enough that they can make a formidable battler out of a poor player."

In case you're wondering why I think that, it's because of the community's collective failure in the former Shoddy Lounge with tournaments. That involved members responsibility and two people setting up a time to get on and take a few minutes out of their week...just like a tutoring system inevitably would. I'm very skeptical (and imo rightfully so) about trying something out that could very easily have the same outcome as the disaster that was tournaments on PC.

...At the same time, this is a good suggestion. As much as I doubt this will work, I don't see any good reason beyond skepticism not to give this a try. Of course, with our lack of members, this would have to be a very small project like basically everything is now, but that's going to be true of almost everything we try now. And hey, we need to do something to spark activity, so I'm not going to oppose this.

Now, assuming we do this (since that seems to be the way people are leaning), I want this to be based off of the PokeCommunity server when it gets back up. It makes communication easier, and newer members getting to know the community sounds much more beneficial to me than a thread that lacks any kind of real interaction. Your thoughts?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Spoiler:

^________^ ekeke
    Omg thanks I was looking for this image lol!

I like this idea. It *might* make S&M more active, plus it might get me back into battling.

Heh, I need this tutoring. I've lost touch with the metagame; fffff actually I hardly know what a metagame is anymore LOL.

Mages4ever

Looking for a Challenge!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    I'd be interesting in joining this.
    First I'd need to learn how to make move sets though.
    Then I could help tutor. (If you want/need more people. You may want to hold like try outs and tests to see if people are qualified and what's not.)
    If this gets anywhere, hopefully I can battle better people on this forum. (Ones that actually EV train and use Tiers -.-")

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I think this would be good for getting people back into competitive battling. Anti made some points though, but it's worth a try.

I thought I heard this suggestion somewhere one time...

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I'm up for a tutoring program. I could use some help around the UU metagame, since I've created one team (which failed) after the UU Revamp was made.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Heh, I like it personally. I could probably use my "knowledge" (If you can call it that XD) to help out. Of course, that's not up to me XD, but I'm glad to help.

But, I'm not going to lie, I do have some of that same skepticism that Anti has. Even the Get-Together tournament, which only lasted 4 days from start to finish, didn't go over very well. We had a few DQs, but all in all it did go over better than the rest of the tournaments. But that's what sort of makes me go "Can we really pull it off?", as we've really had only one semi-successful tournament. Oh well, I'd still say give it a shot and see where it goes.

Oh wait, C'est might pop into this and tell us how we are becoming a Smogon-Copy Cat. Wait, who cares?

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    This seems like a decent idea, I reckon you should give it a shot and if it doesn't work you can just get rid of it :P

Also maybe you could do like a Beginners course for people who want to get into competitive battling and a Advanced for people who already know a bit about the metagame and want to improve =)

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Pokedra makes a point. Some people who will join up in this tutoring once it opens (such as myself) just want to improve but already know quite enough about the metagame.

I really need some help. xD I'd consider myself decent at coming up with teams, but when I try to use them, it's a flop. So I need help using teams in real competitive situations as opposed to "imaging what the battle would be like".

Then again, we need a new PC server before we could do any of this, right? (:( I miss that good ol' thing.)

Denzer

Why so serious?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    I like this idea. Another good idea would be to bring back the Shoddy Lounge and if PC gets a sever tourneys!

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • I really love this idea. I know all the ins and outs of training Pokemon, I just don't know how to function in competitive battles at all. And I'd really, really like to learn.

Of course, I haven't been with PC all that long... I'm just one of those random people who pops up every now and then to comment. I'm not all too familiar with the community, so I don't know how well it would function with a system like that, but just know that if this is put into action, I'd be on board as a pupil in no time.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • What Luke said. XD

I mean we can just sticky tourneys anyways. ^_~

Just to add onto this (AKA slightly contradict), tournaments probably aren't going to show up in any form lol. I would link to the double digit failures but the forum is deleted now lol. The only kind of tournaments I'll endorse are those run on the server alone with a sign up on the spot type of format. The shoddy Lounge (and by extension tournaments entirely) aren't coming back, ever...and if the stars align to make that happen, it won't be anytime soon.

But keep up the comments, especially with ideas on how to run it (but just supporting the idea is fine too).

Back