• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokedex Entries that Conflict with the Game

KingJay

That Guy
Years
  • What are some Pokedex entries that don't pan out too well in the actual game? I'm talking about stuff like Pidgeot flying at mach 2, and Dragonite being fast enough to circle the world in 16 hours, yet both have mediocre speed stats. Generally weird things can also apply like a boy waking up one morning and turning into a Kadabra.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I remember Magcarco's entry saying something to the effect that its body heat is very hot. Oh yeah, even hotter than the surface of the sun.

There is a belief, and I find it compelling, that it is the player character who makes up the entries, which is why so many are ridiculous. It makes sense, in a way. A child of only 10 or so, thrust into the world and told to write things down about mythical creatures who even scientists have learned very little about.

I don't know how to post images on mobile, so I'll just leave these here:
    Dexbusters
    Dexbusters II

Years
  • This is definitely a strange one from the Larvitar dex entry.
    "It feeds on soil. After it has eaten a large mountain, it will fall asleep so it can grow."
    Firstly, I very much doubt this small Pokemon could eat a large mountain and secondly, "feeding on soil" doesn't require it to consume a mountain either.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    there's like how supposedly if you look into shedinja's back it'll eat your soul or something

yet when you send it out in battle you're looking right at that hole in its back and nobody's had their soul stolen yet

Years
  • Swampert (Emerald): If it senses the approach of a storm and a tidal wave, it protects its seaside nest by piling up boulders. It swims as fast as a jet ski.

Escavalier (Black): They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely.

I'm afraid your actual Speed stats disagree with those entries there, guys.

Years
  • machamp can apparently do 1000 punches in a second lol. that should make it the most OP poke.... imagine it dynamic punching 1000 times in a second....

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • Emerald: Armaldo usually lives on land. However, when it hunts for prey, it dives beneath the ocean. It swims around using its two large wings.

>Armaldo is weak to Water

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Skarmory: "Its heavy-looking iron body is actually thin and light, so it can fly at speeds over 180 mph."

Its base speed is 70 though...

It also says it's thin and light, not something you'd expect of a mon with base 140 def

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I believe Haunter had one that said that anyone it licked/touched could never stop shaking until it died. The kicker is, not only does Haunter fail to cause uncontrollable, eternal shuddering to other Pokemon, but in HGSS, it could touch you without you feeling any harm or discomfort.

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    Here's one people usually don't think about.

The pokedex states that Cubone wears the skull of its mother. Yet when you hatch a newborn Cubone egg, it already has the skull, and it's mother is obviously still alive.. so where'd ya get that skull Cubone?

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    The one about how Kadabra are human whose psychic abilities transforms them into Pokemon.

Excuse me, so that means Kadabra fights are basically Fight Club and I'm literally enslaving a human being to fight wild animals.

Yamask's is even more screwed up.
    These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life.

Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.
    So basically enslavement of the dead. If they are really of dead people, how can you breed a Cofagrigus and have it give birth to a dead person? That's Scary Movie 3 ridiculousness right here! You can't be born dead, you're just dead.

I remember Magcarco's entry saying something to the effect that its body heat is very hot. Oh yeah, even hotter than the surface of the sun.

There is a belief, and I find it compelling, that it is the player character who makes up the entries, which is why so many are ridiculous. It makes sense, in a way. A child of only 10 or so, thrust into the world and told to write things down about mythical creatures who even scientists have learned very little about.

Dexbusters
    Dexbusters II

They have to be made up by the players. When you're ten years old and you know nothing about these creatures, the dex entries are basically either oral stories written down, or made up fiction right on the spot to sound cool. As a kid, who wouldn't want to make their accomplishments sounds more awesome than they really are?

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I'm surprised Spoink wasn't mentioned, though I forgot it myself for a while. The Dex entry in a few of the games says that it has to bounce around on its little spring/tail, or else its heart stops. So, it can either bounce around while fainted/asleep/paralysed or it doesn't need its heart to beat.

Or maybe it just dies.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I remember Magcarco's entry saying something to the effect that its body heat is very hot. Oh yeah, even hotter than the surface of the sun.

Dexbusters
    Dexbusters II

Wow, I've never heard that theory before but I love it. It makes sense.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • I remember that Sapphire had something about Beautifly sucking away their victim's bodily fluids, but they can't learn Leech Life, but they can learn the Absorb line of moves.

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
  • Clefable (ORAS): "Clefable moves by skipping lightly as if it were flying using its wings. Its bouncy step lets it even walk on water. It is known to take strolls on lakes on quiet, moonlit nights."

Now explain how you never see one of these in the water and it can't learn Surf.

Clafable (XY): "Its hearing is so acute it can hear a pin drop over half a mile away. It lives on quiet mountains." "A timid fairy Pokémon that is rarely seen, it will run and hide the moment it senses people."

How do you find them, then? I've seen my fair share of Clefable in the wild, so I'm sure something is off about this.

Lunarly

(●´ω`●)
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 2, 2019
    Kadabra -
    "It happened one morning--a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra" (Fire Red)

Larvitar -
    "It feeds on soil. After it has eaten a large mountain, it will fall asleep so it can grow." (Gold)

What the actual f... Apparently kadabra was once a child and larvitar can eat mountains despite its size lol...

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Phanpy is the 'Long Nose Pokemon' even though it's nose isn't particularly long and it's own evolution Donphan which has a longer nose is the 'Armor Pokemon'.

One of Alakazam's entries says 'It remembers everything' but it can't remember more than four moves at a time.

Gothitelles Entry says it cries when it learns the lifespan of its trainer...Gothitelle can learn Fake Tears.

Back