• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Battles of the Past

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Downloads

V 1.0
    https://tinyurl.com/kuf5xf

INTRO

Journey to a time before Professor Oak was a glint in his mothers eye. Set in Kanto 1000 years before Red started his journey you will encounter many challenges as you tour the region.

STORY
    (Story telling is not my forte)

You have been intrigued by the lives of Pokemon trainers and want to give it a go yourself. While working in Pallet Town you get the bug and decide to set out. You convinced you life long best friend to join you on your quest. He was hesitant due to the gangs that hang around the region. Unknown to, one of these gangs have decided that they want to take charge of the entire region and rule with an iron fist. god speed on your journey

Features

Using default RPG maker tilesets.
    Time plays a bigger part than in official games - i.e. Shops will be open between 9am and 5pm.
    Certain area's will be busier at different times of the day
    Though you only battle with up to 6 Pokemon, you have instant access to all of them (PC system not invented yet).
    Roaming merchants will be going round the region with specialities (e.g. heal items, evolution items).
    No Pokeballs - will be using Apricorns.
    Full Pokedex has 138 Pokemon - Some of the original 151 have been removed.
    No fakemon.
    Pokecenter's and Pokemart's haven't been invented yet. Other methods are used.
    No random battles, talking to overworld Pokemon will start a battle. - Not sure about this one yet.

Screenshots

Pallet Town

Route 1

Viridian Farm

Cerulean Port

Comments and suggestions are most welcome. I am obviously using the starter kit and the default tilesets from RPGXP. All the additional elements are created by me. I give credit and many thanks to the people who created these fantastic applications

Additional Team Members:
    InMooseWeTrust - concept design and planning​

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Looks very good, although the maps do imply that almost nothing will change in the next thousand years. I'm not sure what's going on with Cerulean Port there; I presume it's not finished. At least you have the advantage of good-looking tilesets straight from the off (which, may I ask, did the rustic feel of the default tilesets help inspire this game being set in Ye Olde Ages?).

I like the increased time-based activeness - the roaming salesmen and opening hours and whatnot. I also like the prospect of solely using Apricorns - I presume you'll be inventing a few new ones to have a better range than the few from Generation 2?

I also like the idea of a reduced Pokédex (perhaps this devolves into a journal?), since clearly Voltorb, Magnemite, Mewtwo and the fossil pokémon won't be obtainable. That leaves 3 more pokémon... I would have guessed the trade-evolvers (Machamp, Golem, Gengar, Alakazam), but there's four of those. Make sure you get a nice hand-writing font for the entries in the Journal Of Pokémon What I Have Seen.

Keep at it! It's different, and that makes it interesting.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Looks very good, although the maps do imply that almost nothing will change in the next thousand years. I'm not sure what's going on with Cerulean Port there; I presume it's not finished. At least you have the advantage of good-looking tilesets straight from the off (which, may I ask, did the rustic feel of the default tilesets help inspire this game being set in Ye Olde Ages?).

I like the increased time-based activeness - the roaming salesmen and opening hours and whatnot. I also like the prospect of solely using Apricorns - I presume you'll be inventing a few new ones to have a better range than the few from Generation 2?

I also like the idea of a reduced Pokédex (perhaps this devolves into a journal?), since clearly Voltorb, Magnemite, Mewtwo and the fossil pokémon won't be obtainable. That leaves 3 more pokémon... I would have guessed the trade-evolvers (Machamp, Golem, Gengar, Alakazam), but there's four of those. Make sure you get a nice hand-writing font for the entries in the Journal Of Pokémon What I Have Seen.

Keep at it! It's different, and that makes it interesting.

Actually I came up with the idea first. Most games made here increase Pokedex sizes and add new regions. I wanted to create an adventure that was familiar yet different. After I got the idea I was looking around for some free tilesets. Then I realised there were perfect versions already available in the official download. The thing that slightly irritated me was that most of the tilesets didn't include door graphics so they have to be added in events. Things not changing much? What about Viridian Farm instead of Viridian City. Oh, and you haven't seen what I am doing with Pewter City yet ;).

You have guessed a few of my plans and some obvious Pokedex reductions. I actually just reduced it again to 135. Nothing electric or artificial. The trade evolvers are still in there but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about them. And yes, it was going to be a journal.

Oh, ok, my arm is twisted. Here is a taste Pewter Mines (unfinished):

weavile96

Just Your Neighborhood Creeper
    Years
  • Wow, this sounds really creative! I've never heard of a fan-game like this before. Good luck! :)

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    I like the game but, the non-pokemon tiles (not even close to pokemon tiles) kind of set me off.
    I hope these are not perminate.
    Other than that, good.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Sorry, but the tiles are there to stay. One thing that will be added to make it feel like a Pokemon game is a lot of overworld Pokemon. For example, Pidgey will fly overhead, on the farm there will be Pokemon in the fenced off area and a Meowth will be chasing a Ratatta etc. Official Pokemon games say that the world is full of Pokemon but you hardly see them outside of battle. I want to create a game where you can see Pokemon out and about.

Edit:
    Here is some footage of the gameplay. You can see that there are no wild battles but you encouter the Pokemon on the overworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hu66JH4LY8

I would really appreciate comments on this style of encounters as I am still not convinced.

Last edited:

templekeeper

Remember: you're a member!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    It would help if the video quality was a little better, but you're trying.

The major premise you got here is sweet, but now you gotta liven it up. A gang that takes control of the region is dangerous because the result would probably be a safe government to ensure constant stability and security. We never saw such a thing exist.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • I like the concepts you are running with in this project but I'm worried about if they will be pulled off correctly or not from both a coding/scipting side and a gameplay side. I think to fit with the direction you should completely ditch the look of the battle system (although I'm guessing you haven't started that yet from watching the video).
    You said there is no electricity but what about Pokémon themselves? I think it would be a nice touch to see a Pikachu power a street light, or something like that. If Pokémon and people live in harmony and with humans being humans, I think its fully plausible to have Pokémon doing stuff for us- like helping out with this farm work- or in the port sailing people around.
    It will be those touches that will make this game interesting. Right now, it looks like an average RTP game with bland and open maps and using the Starter Kit scripts.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Have no fear, most of the things you have commented on will change. For example in Pewter Mines you will see human and Pokemon workers. It is all part of me wanting to see Pokemon on the maps and not just in battles. I only started the game this month so many things have not even been started but have been planned. I added a second video onto the website I created that shows a test of the roaming merchants.

On the point of electricity, there is only one electric type and it is Zapdos. As I said, the pokedex has been decreased. That should give you an idea of which Pokemon will not make an appearence.

Last edited:

h POKE

angry kid and a keyboard
    Years
    • CT
    • Seen Jan 17, 2016
    Verrrrry Interesting. More of a pokemon-meets-Final Fantasy, am I correct? There are definitely many stylistic similarities. Anyways, I have just a few questions:

- If you said you're using apricorns as pokeballs, why does the trainer sprite, which has obviously been edited, still have a pokeball in hand while in battle.
    - How will storage work? If there are no computers, where will the excess pokemon go?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    On the point of electricity, there is only one electric type and it is Zapdos. As I said, the pokedex has been decreased. That should give you an idea of which Pokemon will not make an appearence.
    Why? Aside from the technological ones (Magnemite and Voltorb, for obvious reasons), I see no reason why Electric-types can't be in the wild in the past. Pikachu didn't used to be a Rattata that wandered too close to a power station.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    Verrrrry Interesting. More of a pokemon-meets-Final Fantasy, am I correct? There are definitely many stylistic similarities. Anyways, I have just a few questions:

- If you said you're using apricorns as pokeballs, why does the trainer sprite, which has obviously been edited, still have a pokeball in hand while in battle.
    - How will storage work? If there are no computers, where will the excess pokemon go?

1. I have yet to change the in-battle scenes. I edited the trainer for another project that was simply a Red/Blue remake with Ash. Thankfully I had some inspiration and abandoned it.
    2. I have plans for that but again they haven't been implemented.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trikeboy Pokemon Battles of the Past

Why? Aside from the technological ones (Magnemite and Voltorb, for obvious reasons), I see no reason why Electric-types can't be in the wild in the past. Pikachu didn't used to be a Rattata that wandered too close to a power station.
    Why should they be in there? They simply haven't been discovered yet.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Why should they be in there? They simply haven't been discovered yet.
    So they've found (nearly) every other Pokémon around, but not even a single Pikachu? I just find that hard to believe, is all.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    So they've found (nearly) every other Pokémon around, but not even a single Pikachu? I just find that hard to believe, is all.

What's the obsession with that stupid yellow rat? If it wasn't for the anime making it famous I doubt anybody would really consider adding it to their team. At least Gold and Silver decided to hold it back until you got to Kanto. Also, nobody realised that Pichu or Elekid existed until a few years after the Red/Blue games how hard is it to believe they haven't seen a Pikachu yet. A good electrical attack is better than a Pikachu.

It is plainly simple, electric Pokémon have yet to be discovered in Kanto. Zapdos is the first to arrive. That goes for Electabuzz, Jolteon and all the others.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2011
    I think you're really stepping pokemon up to the next level. (no pun intended) But the whole not discovered thing seems a bit strange to me. I had an idea that how about your journal is the first pokdex and you discover literally new pokemon? Just an idea but the whole game seems great!

Mumei

Pokédork
    Years
  • Sounds interesting, but the style is majorly not anything like the real pokemon games - looks a bit too different.
    &&somehow this seems like it should be more like 100-400 years ago, not 1000. Unless you figure the pokemon world exists a few hundred years in the future relative to ours, that just seems way too long ago.

Back