• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: "Pokemon Generations" anime shorts. (Article in thread OP)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
  • Ok, people find the animation of the SM anime a fluke, yet praise the animation from Generations, which should've looked just as bad, if not worse, than the SM anime to their eyes. The Pokémon in the first episode looked off-model from their original Sugmori designs and move very choppy.

dudealmighty

The Very Best
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2016
    I like the style of production but I dislike the episodes. They're too short and rushed, and seem kinda pointless. There's almost no story. Great idea, bad execution. So close, too.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm glad Red only got 1 episode. I was worried 6 would be dedicated to him traveling all the regions. I like Red, but geezus, there's more to the pokemon world but him.
    Agreed completely!
    Gen 2

The death and rebirth of the legendary beast The theaory that they were a Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon may get confirmed as well.
    Red Gyarados and Dragonite. Something to do with Giovanni. (Pls give us a Silver cameo)
    I can imagine they'll finish up with Team Rocket and I reallllllly hope for some Silver screentime, if not an entire episode dedicated to him (maybe he'll get to meet Looker?). I'd like to see an episode focusing on Eusine and Morty, but I think an episode with Red and Gold/Kris battle will take priority (sadly but understandably).

Gen 3

The only thing I can think of is The primal battle. We may get a look at Archie and Maxie when they were once friends, or something really out there like seeing the eldest son of the Windstrates set off on his journey.
    The Winstrate idea is really cute!

I already mentioned how I wanted to see something with Wally but I think another fun option would be how Steven and Wallace became friends. We know they're friends but we don't know why or how that started. Just by looking at the two I'd never be able to guess so I think that would be kind of fun...

Gen 4

We know Cheryl gets an episode running from Haunter, and one focusing on Heatran. Cyrus and Giratina on the poster means we will likely get a focus episode on them. I hope the Cyrus one gives insight on his life in Celestic town, and why he wants to absolve human spirit.
    I'd love to see that. And maybe another episode that goes in-depth on the hotel that you visit to get Darkrai? I really loved that event playing through gen 4.

Gen 5

the only one that seems to be inevitable is N and Team plasma. Kyurem also looks to get an episode, but no idea on a possible 3rd.
    I'm personally hoping for:

An episode showing Ghetsis traveling, how he saved the Shadow Triad and what he saved them from, and maybe his first meeting with Colress if they can tell the first parts as a flashback of sorts.
    An episode of a day in the life of N as a child would be great because my heart would break all over the place!
    And I agree, there will likely be an episode involving Kyurem. Maybe it won't be in the obvious way (in regards to Team Plasma) but maybe its lore and Lacunosa Town?

Gen 6

AZ finally gets some recognition. Gen 6 is probably most ripe for these episodes cuz there is so much untapped lore in them. Lysandre might have a more fleshed out backstory for his turn against humanity. He's a great villain in theory, but to me he hasn't reached his full potential, not even in the main anime, where he seemed more megalomaniac, when tha wasn't what the games were going for.
    All that I want from the gen 6 episodes is one with the Team Flare events through Sycamore's perspective. He's so blinded by his admiration by Lysandre and we never get to see him react to his reveal as a genocidal maniac (nor does he react to his supposed death). Pleeeeeaaaaaaase!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I enjoyed the first two episodes a lot! It was fun seeing that Pikachu fighting different Pokemon and getting new animation for some of those iconic game locations. Also loved the voice and the round head this Pikachu has, did a lot to set it apart from Ash's. My only gripe with the first episode was it feeling less like an episode and more like a bunch of really pretty animation tests. The second episode was a lot better all around. Fun seeing Looker interact with story lines from the older generations. Stuff like this goes a long way towards helping the world feel that much more fleshed out and like an actual place as opposed to just some random set.

There's going to be at least one more episode with Red (we know he fights Green) but I'm in that boat of wanting the other player characters from other generations to get their time in the spotlight as well. Though, I do get the feeling it'll be difficult to be too critical of these as they seem to essentially be animation exhibitions more than anything else.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Ok, people find the animation of the SM anime a fluke, yet praise the animation from Generations, which should've looked just as bad, if not worse, than the SM anime to their eyes. The Pokémon in the first episode looked off-model from their original Sugmori designs and move very choppy.

I do think when people are saying "Animation" in the SM anime teaser, they just mean the Ash/Satoshi redesign: which I do admit I am not a fan off.

Animation and Art style are two different things after all XD

The animation itself is short itself was ok, nothing special. The scenes themselves though is amazing, "Dat Noiver vs Pikachu on a minecart was great :D"

SeventhDawn

Uncompromising Worth
    Years
  • So are the episodes released weekly?

I was pleasantly surprised earlier to see two of them. Loved the animation, and Pikachu was adorable! Seeing the police force in action was a treat as it shows a more serious side of Pokemon we don't see often. It seemed more real-world, and the inclusion of Pokemon was amazing.

Plus - Team Rocket! Giovanni is a sight for sore eyes. I really miss him as a baddie.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • Holy shit, I love it. While I'm tired of the gen 1 oversaturation, the police infiltration of the Viridian Gym was awesome and I was pleasantly surprised to see Looker as the main character; I was concerned that Red would be the main character but it turns out that it's not the case. We'll probably see a variety of characters, perhaps even one of the female PCs. Make this a regular show and ditch the Ash bullshit. So hyped for when the Spear Pillar episode shows up.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • I think that maybe episode 1 goes on a little TOO long as a gameboy game at the start. It's charming, but it quickly becomes a little dull and I bet some people might mistake it for an LP or something by that point, and click off of it.

It's surreal seeing Pikachu animated with different body proportions, and making those noises instead of Chu/Pika. It is good, though.

Man, the second episode plays out like a played-for-serious tabletop roleplay or something, with real police crackdowns and plenty of good Pokemon integration into the force. This is a LOT less silly and childish than the regular anime. Gotta love it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Speaking of episode 2, there's a lot of fans decrying on the retcon on Giovanni's character from Origins. He said he'll disband Team Rocket and will dedicate his life on studying Pokemon after Red beat him for the last time, but now he's saying Team Rocket will rise again.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • Speaking of episode 2, there's a lot of fans decrying on the retcon on Giovanni's character from Origins. He said he'll disband Team Rocket and will dedicate his life on studying Pokemon after Red beat him for the last time, but now he's saying Team Rocket will rise again.

Origins and this series are probably separate canons.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am still hoping White gets an animated part. As of right now, not a fan of the Generations, but it is only 1 real episode so far.

I don't like the art style of generations and the voice acting didn't really sound that good, not to me anyway. I absolutely hate the art style. Looks like something you would see in Batman cartoons, which I also hate.

I almost quit watching the first episode, and I really should have. There was nothing worth watching.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Has it already been confirmed on what next week's episode is going to be about?

I absolutely hate the art style. Looks like something you would see in Batman cartoons, which I also hate.

Woah woah woah, are you telling me you also hate Batman TAS, which is highly regarded as one of the best cartoons ever made? If so, then that's strike two, buddy (strike one is you not liking Space Dandy and other works by Shinichiro Watanabe).

IDG

ey b0ss
    Years
  • I think that isn't Red... In the trailer the Trainer's face isn't shown, the shots with him are from behind or when he is facing the camera his face is covered obscured by shadows. So I would guess it's just a place holder character where you could easily project yourself into: It isn't red or brendan or callem... it's you the Player.

He has a Pikachu and he dresses EXACTLY like Red. Yes, he's Red, even if he is just a character to project into. However, now I can see that all the scenes we saw of him were from the first episode. At least we have different characters in the rest of them.

What I don't like though is the fact that the episodes are only 3-5 minutes long. We need more of this. I don't want to see the repetitive, boring and stupid adventures of Ash, a character without charisma. I want to see Looker, Giovanni, Red, N, Cynthia, Cyrus... the characters and stories from the games I know and love in a full-lenght anime series.

Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • He has a Pikachu and he dresses EXACTLY like Red. Yes, he's Red, even if he is just a character to project into. However, now I can see that all the scenes we saw of him were from the first episode. At least we have different characters in the rest of them.

What I don't like though is the fact that the episodes are only 3-5 minutes long. We need more of this. I don't want to see the repetitive, boring and stupid adventures of Ash, a character without charisma. I want to see Looker, Giovanni, Red, N, Cynthia, Cyrus... the characters and stories from the games I know and love in a full-lenght anime series.

The Trainer still has to fight Blue as seen in the teaser... Also the Trainer will never have a personality (he's a silent protagonist XD). We're just going to see him fight (which is fine.)

I think the length is fine... I'd rather have a Pokemon show that's tight concise and to the point. The show's fan service anyway, for celebrating the 20'th anniversary of pokemon, and its wonderful :D

I do agree (Even thought I like the Pokemon Anime as it is), that I'd rather see a stories more based on the games (Like the Pokemon Adventure manga). Than Satoshi/Ash's never ending adventures.

IDG

ey b0ss
    Years
  • The Trainer still has to fight Blue as seen in the teaser... Also the Trainer will never have a personality (he's a silent protagonist XD). We're just going to see him fight (which is fine.)

I think the length is fine... I'd rather have a Pokemon show that's tight concise and to the point. The show's fan service anyway, for celebrating the 20'th anniversary of pokemon, and its wonderful :D

I do agree (Even thought I like the Pokemon Anime as it is), that I'd rather see a stories more based on the games (Like the Pokemon Adventure manga). Than Satoshi/Ash's never ending adventures.

Again, even if he doesn't have a personality, he is Red.

We can have a good Pokémon show without it having to be only 5 minutes long. Take a look at every good anime ever. The lenght is not an issue.

The only issue is that the Pokémon Company prefers to give us a series with the same non-charismatic, boring and bland main character for 20 years instead of something like the manga, that changes characters every generation and actually has character development.

Also, it would have an excuse to have the characters forget the type efectiveness chart every 5 minutes or having the power of their Pokémon reset in the beginning of each new season. It would have an actual canon, something that the actual anime doesn't have.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years

Who cares about Origins. I loved the homage to a relatively obscure but lore-significant in-game event from HGSS:

"Pokemon Generations" anime shorts. (Article in thread OP)
    "Pokemon Generations" anime shorts. (Article in thread OP)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pExn-S7WduQ

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • Eh, those people are silly. Giovanni was a career criminal and it's not really conceivable he would simply abandon the wealth and power he was accustomed to. The idea Silver was his son originated in FRLG anyways, I don't understand where this whole redemption of Giovanni stuff comes from. If anything, it's baffling he didn't plan revenge on Red/Leaf/whomever.

It's of particular interest to me since I am writing a fanfiction on the subject of the head of the evil team taking revenge on the Pokemon Champion who brought it down, beginning with an assassination attempt and then character smearing when that fails.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Eh, those people are silly. Giovanni was a career criminal and it's not really conceivable he would simply abandon the wealth and power he was accustomed to. The idea Silver was his son originated in FRLG anyways, I don't understand where this whole redemption of Giovanni stuff comes from. If anything, it's baffling he didn't plan revenge on Red/Leaf/whomever.

It's of particular interest to me since I am writing a fanfiction on the subject of the head of the evil team taking revenge on the Pokemon Champion who brought it down, beginning with an assassination attempt and then character smearing when that fails.
    It came from the original versions, in RBY, Giovanni's arc ended with him straight up declaring that he'd dedicate his life to research and reform. Pretty much every single version after that retconned it (with the exception of GSC , where Giovanni is only mentioned in passing), because it was a waste of a perfectly good character. Especially after they knew R/S was coming (GSC was planned as a grand finale), they wanted a way to make the character relevent again. So they retconned it.

Personally, I don't mind the retcon. It makes Giovanni more realistic.

Back