• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon in real life?

Do you think Pokemon will exist as real things in the future?

• Of course!

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Maybe...

Votes: 19 33.9%
  • Never!

Votes: 25 44.6%

• Total voters

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
  • If you don't know, recent scientific research involves the manipulation of DNA. GM crops, and bacteria are made this way. I think they also did this with babies.

Imagine if they used this info to make pokemon real. No evolution and all, but they would gradually become so, like a charmander would slowely develop into a teenage charmeleon, and then develop wings and all into an adult charizard.

Any thoughts?

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Given this is at all possible, the actual creation of real life Pokemon seems like playing God. I mean, what right do we have to manipulate anything Mother Nature has created herself? It's blasphmey to create new species, much less create Pokemon...

Now, on the technical side of things, let's say they suceeded in creating a Pichu. Now, how are we to tame it, have it obey commands, or even launch attacks if its mental compacity is that of a common field mouse? Also, how would Pokemon be able to tap into their potential of the games? I don't think if we had a real-life Charamandr that it'd be blowing flames at anyone.

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
  • It depends. My pair and I were discussing if Pokemon were real, but he was thinking holograms in a big net of some hologram thingy. They'd only be able to hurt other Pokemon, but still!

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Whoops I voted for the wrong thing. =P

I thought you meant if you would want Pokemon in the future. Ahem, anyways, I hope not. It would be freaky, especially if wild Pokemon attack your home. D=

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Assuming genetic manipulation does reach the level required for reverse-engineering a variety of pokemon species, why would they? There are tons of more practical applications for this such as replacing lost body parts for amputees and all you're worried about is if you can get a RL Charizard? XD

It's possible, but not probable...besides, I don't think the products of genetic manipulation will be anywhere near as intelligent as pokemon are supposed to be. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • That would depend on how the species' genes are manipulated. For now it's unlikely that future species would be Pokemon, though it's possible.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • It's still tampering with things that shouldn't be messed with. There are plenty of folktales and myths about man becoming too advanced and being struck down. I'm not trying to make this a religious thing (Agnostic so, yeah), but if we can draw anything from it it's that science should only push the boundries so much.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I agree with Spikey-Eared Pichu, even if this is possible in the future I don't see it happening as it is ethically wrong. If cloning humans is considered ethically wrong I'd imagine creating monsters capable of mass destruction to be much worse.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    Ethical issues, moral. e.g. Dolly clone had serious problems with lungs and arthritis and medical problems that sheep normally her age would not get.

It's not 'blasphemous' but you are talking about an intelligent creature, with feelings and wants. I have been studying GM and let me tell you that it's really just trial and error. To create one mouse clone (one of the most basic of applications of this technology), it can take 300 embryos. Can you justify the cost? It's also really expensive, with plenty of other uses that are far more important (e.g. saving people from starvation with Vitamin A enhanced rice.)

It is also extremely restricted, you have to get all sorts of permits, etc. Creating Pokemon would be on the grounds of animal abuse. What happens if a Pokemon gets into the wild and cross-breeds with wildlife? This might not sound too serious, but I somewhat doubt that farmers want firebreathing cows in their herd, and the native wildlife would almost certainly be wiped out.

Humans might be killed as well. This is a big one. Pokemon won't have facial recognition technology. You might as well consider us all extinct.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • Yeah, I do agree with Spiky-eared pikachu and destiny, and it has quite a few ethical issues, but I also think fire-breathing cows and all is extremely unlikely. A charizard or magmar mating with a cow? The cow would probably run for it's life. But, yeah, I do get your point.

loliwin
    They wouldnt look that cool if theyre not cartoonish. :(
    :)

Destiny.

...To create one mouse clone (one of the most basic of applications of this technology), it can take 300 embryos. ...

I didn't know about the amount needed... wow.

Also, thx for responding, this was something I had been thinking about.

solspear

PKMN Trainer Kame
    Years
  • Lol, if they have the technology to make pokemons, they also have the technology to implement genes of herbivores, and peacefull animals.. like squirlls xD

But there are also the dangerous pokes, such as... ionno, gyarados?
    They pose as much of a thread as sharks do, don't bother them, they won't bother you.

But yeah, creating a mouse that is electrically charged shouldn't be too hard, i say, give it 20 years untill we're able to do it. Science will also increase its limits and borders, heck, you couldn't even cut into dead people about 200 (?) years ago, with the speed technology and science is improving right now, i think we will see living dragons once again.(Yes i believe dragons lived in the past, mutations of dinosaurs just before they got wiped out?)

the only problem i'm seeing is things like, storing electricity into a mouse..
    would it have metal rods inside of it, keeping the electricity rotating, would it generate electricity itself? i say, investigate Bioluminesense (or something spelled like dat) Because if animals can create light, why not a more concentrated form of light, or even plasma, that gives us fire and electricity right there.

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2010
    IF you voted Of course! ,you might consider destroying the human race.
    Imagine one day, A huge red thing wing wing pops up on your doorway and trys to burn you.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2011
    I think it's a "Maybe" possible for pokemon to be made to be real life made and I have seen on History Channels Jarassic Park The Real Story, That scientists are figuring how to bring the dinosuars back to life by using dinosaur DNA in order to breed dinosaurs. But there is one problem though the dinosaurs could attack humans and which is why nature has some concequenses that can't be controlled that easily.

If you have noticed the pokemon universe reflects the real life events like digging up fossils and restore them back to life and Dailga/Palkia arc with time travel and etc are far beyond our imagination.

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
    Years
  • To be honest, if Pokemon were real, we'd all be dead now. They would likely kill you if you didn't train them, But there is definitely a 0% chance. This thread is pretty odd o_O

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    Let me just say one thing, Pokemon aren't real. And never will be.

And well I would suspect us to all die if pokemon were created(unless you kept them in jars just for viewing purposes but that'd be just cruel). I mean our ecosystem is really fragile as it is. Also have you seen real life pokemon drawings? I saw one of Blastoise and it was the creepiest things I've ever seen, it practically scarred me for life. That's the main reason for me, real life pokemon would probably look freaky and downright CREEPY. Just my two cents.

Back