• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Intelligence in battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • Sorry for the sucky title. :x

Well...take pokemon like Alakasam, which have an IQ of 5000, and Metagross, which is said to have 4 brains, which its intelligence rivals a super computer. If that's the case, then why do naturally, highly smart pokemon, like those two, wait for orders from their trainers in battle?

Which...okay. I can understand the bonds between pokemon and trainer and all that, but, from natural intelligence that high, why do they even need a "trainer"? Couldn't they have the intellligence to do things and battle on their own?

Any thoughts?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    The connection between a Pokemon and its trainer is something unexplainable. But I do know that those Pokemon came from baby stages: Alakazam was once an Abra and Metagross was once a Beldum. Of course, while they were young, their trainer catched them and trained them. Through the whole training, the trainer gives orders to the Pokemon and the Pokemon follows. Once they evolve, they still recognize the trainer and accept orders from them however silly it may be. xD

/2cents

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Really, the only reasoning I can find behind this is that GameFreak wanted to add some more variety to their Pokémon by giving them traits such as super-intellectualism, but they were obviously restricted by the fact that all Pokémon must be able to battle in the same way.

From my point of view, your idea is completely valid and correct. It just doesn't work with the idea of the games. =/

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Look to the anime for the answers...Pikachu is perfectly capable of battling on its' own (although it gets puzzled by electric-proof traps), but it prefers to listen to Ash...and occasionally it needs to, as I doubt it'd have been able to take on Tobias' Latios by itself.

Baconkillszombies

I AM NOT A ZOMBIE >.>
    Years

Well...take pokemon like Alakasam, which have an IQ of 5000, and Metagross, which is said to have 4 brains, which its intelligence rivals a super computer. If that's the case, then why do naturally, highly smart pokemon, like those two, wait for orders from their trainers in battle?

Which...okay. I can understand the bonds between pokemon and trainer and all that, but, from natural intelligence that high, why do they even need a "trainer"? Couldn't they have the intellligence to do things and battle on their own?

Any thoughts?
    Even though they are described as being smart, they don't have the same instincts as people to do what they please. I guess the best way I could think of it is like thinking about them as computers, they are able to fight on their own; yet they need input from a trainer whose horzions are as limited to direct their actions for better or worse.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think the reason why Pokemon wait until their trainers give them commands is because of the bond they share together. In some cases, a Pokemon might have a hard time using a move and the trainer is there to help the Pokemon get it right.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • There's a difference between intelligence and trust. Presumably, over the course of the days, weeks, months and years of being with a trainer, a certain level of trust will build up between trainer and Pokemon. If the Pokemon is highly intelligent, it may believe using certain moves in battle is unwise, but will do what the trainer says because he/she trusts his decision-making in the long run of the game. Just a theory, though.

Starrodkirby86

Das Kirby
    Years
  • Reminds me of what's been said in Super Smash Bros. Brawl...You know, those codec taunts.

Snake: "Pokémon Trainer... That's the guy giving orders behind a Pokémon, right?"

Colonel: "Right, and this Pokémon Trainer is controlling Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. They represent water, grass, and fire, and they're all powerful."

Snake: "So he makes his Pokémon fight while he sits back and watches. Sounds like a good deal if you ask me."

Colonel: "It's not like that, Snake. Those Pokémon wouldn't know what to do if the Pokémon Trainer wasn't there giving orders. In every battle, there's a soldier doing the fighting, and a commander telling him what to do. By working together as a team, they accomplish much more than either could on their own. So let's do this together, partner."

Snake: "...Yeah... Whatever you say, Colonel."

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years

Any thoughts?

Hmm...uh...I guess the way Pokemon intelligence is measured differently than human intelligence? :x I mean, anyone challenging Emerald's Battle Palace should have firsthand experience to know exactly why Pokemon need Trainers to command them in battle. >_> "Incapable of using its power" my butt...

But yeah...as others have said before, the trust between Pokemon and Trainer seems to be strengthened as the Trainer doles out the commands to the Pokemon in question. Apparently, several Pokemon develop a moderate degree of instinct to be able of handling things on their own if needed, but in the heat of battle, they trust the Trainer's decision-making in the long run, similar to what Mr Cat Dog hypothesized. Also, some Pokemon such as Groudon and Kyogre are a bit unstable and cannot freely control their powers all of the time. In this case, they require a Trainer to channel their power properly, becoming subjugated by battle commands in order to prevent the loosing of immense power...

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • My theory would be (sorry if other people already said something to this..Meh.) But maybe Pokemon dont have common sense..Like, not in the sense of human common sense, but maybe they dont know when and where to use their moves? Or maybe they are..Unstable with their abilties. Like, the legendaries and st00f which fenyx said, they cant control their moves, or only up to a certain extent. Like Pikachu, when his tail or w/e (sorry. havet seen anime in a loooong time) he electrocutes people..So maybe they just use their instinct in the wild since they have no one to direct them. Like when a trainer catches a Pokemon they develop a special bond that only they have, and can sort of "communicate" their feelings and shape those feelings with words, like you have the trainer shout "Aerial Ace!', but instead of that word(s) making the Pokemon use that move, its actually the feeling that the trainer associates with the move and pictures inside his/her mind that focuses the feelings and emotions and tells the Pokemon "Hey, your friend wants you to do this!". Just a theory *shrugs*

Years
  • Pokemon have the intelligence to make their own decisions in battle as has been shown quite a few times. Paul's Chimchar initially refused to use his Flame Wheel on Ash's Turtwig in their tag battle and Arbok and Weezing refusing to attack the Chansey who helped heal them in that hospital.

Pokemon that are raised by bad trainers to do bad things know what they are doing is bad but may follow those orders anyway. TR's pokemon in Island of the Giant Pokemon shows that they know that they are doing bad things but would not do them on their own accord. However, they never refused to do them anyway.

Aura Rift

Mantle of flame
    Years
  • Though they are very intelegent they are pokemon and pokemon are technically "Animals" and believe I use that word in the most lucid way possible
    so naturally they would have primal instincts I think the trainer helps control that,also the pokemon could have been raised, or caught at an early age by the trainer which means it would grow up taking orders and wouldn't know any different

Years
  • I always thought of it as Pokemon not really having a knack for knowing the "Bigger Picture" of whats going on in a battle and thus needing a Trainers direction to steer it in the right path.

barca6xavi

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2012
    Leader name:surfer George pokemon:Water pokemon:lv 99 blastoise moves hydro pump/hydro cannon/Blizzard/focus punch lv 100 samurott moves razor shell/hydro pump/hydro cannon/ice beam lv 96 seismetoad moves drain punch/ surf/ waterfall/toxic lv 97 poliwrath moves wake up slap/belly drum/waterfall/poison jab lv 98 wash rotom moves hydro pump/surf/thunder/thunderbolt

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • I'm thinking the intelligence as more of a "statistic" aka determines their magic power in battle. Pokemon were seemingly born to serve humans as well. I think if they actually had the intelligence we are thinking about, they would easily take over the PokeWorld. Still, their descriptions in the game sounds very different from how they act in the anime. Gothoritas for example are said to mind control humans and "lead them astray" (heh reminds me of Mystia from Touhou). Other Pokemon like a Foogus and Weezing using poison on people could well..you know where I'm getting with this.

Oh and, our little T.R. Meowth is the only talking Pokemon I've ever seen in the series (well apart from the legionaries in the movies). You would think a Pokemon with 4 brains could at least talk and teach other Pokemon to talk, hmm?

I'll stay with my claim that Pokemon intelligence mainly relates to power more than "book learning capabilities". Although I'm sure they are capable of doing things taught by their trainers! Like Chanseys/Blisseys helping out at Pokecenters, Gothitelle being a babysitter..etc.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Huge bump here. Don't bump threads that haven't had a post in over a month - especially if you're just going to post gibberish spam.
    Locked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back