• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Live-Action Movie

WeegeeMan

I haz Pokumawnz
    Years
    Wouldn't it be great if Nintendo made a live-action Pokemon movie? Here are a few things I'd suggest:

1. Of course we need special effects for the Pokeballs.

2. Most of the Pokemon would probably be CGI.

3. The logo would need to be cooler.

Hey, they did it with Mario, why not with Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011

Mario was a horrible failure of a movie, and so is most live action movies for example, the last airbender and dragon ball z evolution
    Do not allow nintendo to destroy pokemon's name, unless they pulled it off amazingly somehow.....which I doubt

marcc5m

what
    Years
    Yeah it ain't gonna happen. I can hardly see anyone dressed up as Pikachu sitting on Ash's shoulder without looking like a complete idiot.

Nameless.

Yeah it ain't gonna happen. I can hardly see anyone dressed up as Pikachu sitting on Ash's shoulder without looking like a complete idiot.

That's why computer animation is an amazing thing. ;w;
    Scooby-doo comes to mind when I read this whole thread. It worked for them, but I'm honestly not sure how well it'll work for Pokemon. Half of the characters you will see will be computer generated, and it may end up looking really cheesy.
    The only way this might work is if they didn't try to get the characters to look piece-for-piece like their anime counterparts. But I can only see this resulting in a Pokemon-ruining way in the final product. D;

I would have to see it first.

But Mario's movie came out really ridiculous. It wasn't all that great. :x
    I don't want Pokemon to be ruined by the live-action craze. ]:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    As cool as the concept is, I don't think a live Pokemon movie would happen because it's complicated to animate the Pokemon if they were to be shown as real.

Ayselipera

Moving this over to the anime section where it belongs!

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Obviously, you haven't watched the live action pull-off of Dragonball Z or Avatar. In order for a live-action movie to be pulled off correctly, you need godly actors, godly animators, godly directors, and godly restrooms. Seriously, watch a few of the Scooby-Doo movies and witness how crap they can possibly make a simple, damn dog of a kid's show look like. People simply will not put so much effort into these things unless demographics are intended to be different, which is very unlikely.

It might be possible later, when the economy is actually good and good animators and animation software is affordable, but for now, a Live-Action movie would be another fail that shall join the pile of movie fails this close to Super Babies.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    Yeah, no.

After the horrible live action Dragon Ball:Evolution, and Avatar a Pokemon live action would probably be just as bad.

WeegeeMan

I haz Pokumawnz
    Years
    Mario was a horrible failure of a movie, and so is most live action movies for example, the last airbender and dragon ball z evolution
    Do not allow nintendo to destroy pokemon's name, unless they pulled it off amazingly somehow.....which I doubt

The Mario movie scared me so much I actually pressed stop right before they turned Toad into a goomba. I admit it.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Oh gosh don't get me started. Wasn't there a play or something for Pokemon? We had a couple of live actions movies that failed! Avatar the Last Airbender, Dragonball Z, and a couple of others that I can't remember but they have failed badly with this. If Pokemon had a live action then I don't think I can ever see the ways of Pokemon again. Wait there was a Mario live action? Why can't they understand that live action is horrible?

marcc5m

what
    Years
    ^ I'm not gonna lie, that looked pretty cool actually, even if it's fake xD
    Although the Pokemon animations were really bad. I honestly can't think of a way they could ever make it look good.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Pokemon Live-Action Movie

I was waiting for the right time to use that ;)

Jokes a side, I have to say; this has come up time, and time again, and I just can't see it happening.

Even though we've seen movies like Dragonball Z, I don't think Game Freak, or the anime producers would ever be stupid enough to give away the rights for the film and to get their franchise screwed over with by a Live-action movie.

Also, I have to admit - even if the movie was japanese released, you not only have to take into account the problems with the pokémon (like a few people have mentioned) you should also take into account the actors, the anime really has an interesting style for characters, I can't really see and american or japanese actor playing them - just imagine it, most pokémon characters have whacky hair colours and clothing.
    Take that trailer Kirbychu posted, they didn't exactly stay true to characters, just some random asian guy playing Ash. I think it's a good example of showing how hard casting will seem.

Another example which I think would be a problem is age, most of the characters in the anime are around the age of 10 (Ash being a primary example) just imagine real ten year olds playing the main cast? If it did come to a live-action movie, I would much rather they make the good choice and get some older character to play them. (An example would be the trailer kirbychu posted)

Over all, the chance of it happening (IMO) is 99.90%, the 0.10 being formalities and things like the Mario, avatar and dragonball z being around. The 99.90% being the producers not being stupid enough to give the rights for it.

If it did ever happen, which could be really whacky - why don't we post some actors we think would be great for casting?

I think the perfect person to play Misty would be Alyson Hannigan - she has the hair, good looks, plus their figures seem to match a lot. @.@

marcc5m

what
    Years

Another example which I think would be a problem is age, most of the characters in the anime are around the age of 10 (Ash being a primary example) just imagine real ten year olds playing the main cast? If it did come to a live-action movie, I would much rather they make the good choice and get some older character to play them. (An example would be the trailer kirbychu posted)

Why should age be a problem? What's wrong with having a bunch of kids playing the main cast? I mean, look at the Goonies.

However, if that's the way it would have to be, I'd say Jack Black for Ash.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
    No offence intended to the OP, but it's threads like this that lead me to question the absurdity of the 30 day revival rule and the zealous nature it gets enforced by the Mods here.

This topic has has been done quite a few times already and some excellent points were made in the previous threads however we can't refer to the points made there as we can't bump those threads up yet without getting an infraction. There have been times when I've looked at an old thread which I didn't see when it first was posted (as I try not to spend my entire day on this place:nervous:) and seen that I've missed a good debate, however I'm unable to quote posts and reply to them as that would again lead to an infraction.

There's inherently a limited amount we can discuss with relation to the anime that isn't episode specific, why Ash doesn't grow old?, Is the anime getting worse etc etc so it's understandable that threads get repeated very often, but it seems such a waste to lose a lot of existing good quality debate every time.

Perhaps I've been here too long but it's annoying to see people have to repeat things from the very beginning rather then use previous arguements no matter how old and try and expand further and make new points based on them.

With relation to this particular question, well there was a good thread a while back on this and I think the general consensus is that it would be terrible. Not enough money would be thrown at the project and as result production values would be very limited, actors would be some Z listers and the CGI would be terrible.

Guest123_x1

I've heard rumors of a live-action Pokémon movie several years back, but was never sure if they could pull something like that off. Then again, it's entirely possible for something like this to be made-consider the live-action Scooby Doo movies that implement CG animation within.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2013
    I'm dubious as to a live-action movie, but I admit that it seems to have worked for some series, such as Death Note and Sailor Moon. I think that the key would be to make sure that the movie was created by the people in charge of the anime, and to not let it be taken over by a group that may not share the same vision of Pokemon.

Back