• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon R.O.W.E. - an Open World Version of Pokémon Emerald(Gen 8, Following Pokémon, Costumes and much More)

Sazandora800

Hydreigon enthusiast
Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    The Battle Frontier indeed is in a pretty messed up-state, I've only ever seen one pokémon with the right mega stone and therefore being able to mega evolve, the rest of the sets I've seen so far (and believe me, I play Battle Factory like it's my job, I love playing the Factory) have incorrect mega stones, plus a handful of NFEs with Black Sludge, and even a Dodrio with Swords Dance and three attacks and yet it's holding Choice Band. I have not seen any ubers or restricted pokémon in there, I have seen the usual legendaries but no box legendaries, Mews or Celebis or anything. Some sets are exactly the same as in vanilla Emerald, which is a huge hindrance on some pokémon such as that one Alakazam set with all elemental punches -- that are now physical and that makes this set entirely useless, or all the Lati twins with Calm Mind + Dragon Claw, or Sceptile with max special attack EVs and yet all of its moves are now physical. It's a chaotic mess but I still find it enjoyable, I never knew just how crazy Moxie is as an ability until I got my hands on Krookodile with Dragon Dance and Moxie.

But speaking of the Battle Frontier, how come the one Tyranitar set available in the Factory knows Shore Up, and yet my own Tyranitar cannot seem to learn Shore Up at all? It doesn't appear in the move relearner list, doesn't show up in the move tutor list, and it's not even in the Pokedex list of moves that Tyranitar can learn. Is Tyranitar meant to gain access to Shore Up in a later update?

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    Do you do Level 50 or Open Level in the Battle Factory? Because that can make a difference in where you start with regards to the list of available/opposing movesets. If you're doing Open Level, you're skipping a lot of what I had reported earlier. And that wasn't even the worst of it; I remember reading somewhere that Lugia and PRIMAL GROUDON could be encountered. And the Factory also "skips" a decent number of movesets (mostly what would have been weaker evolving basics like Wooper, Mankey, and the starters). Of course, it's been months since I've done anything in the Battle Frontier, so it is possible that some things have changed since then.

As for Shore Up Tyranitar, that's either an oversight or whoever was in charge of the Frontier just didn't care. There are other Pokémon with currently illegal moves throughout this game. There's Fissure Machamp (also used by a certain post-game NPC) and Iron Head Dragonite (Iron Head isn't a TM or Tutor yet) in the Slateport Battle Tent, and I read recently that the Frontier had Metal Burst Wobbuffet and Strength Sap Shuckle. I don't remember seeing any of those moves in the docs.

Sazandora800

Hydreigon enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    Do you do Level 50 or Open Level in the Battle Factory? Because that can make a difference in where you start with regards to the list of available/opposing movesets. If you're doing Open Level, you're skipping a lot of what I had reported earlier. And that wasn't even the worst of it; I remember reading somewhere that Lugia and PRIMAL GROUDON could be encountered. And the Factory also "skips" a decent number of movesets (mostly what would have been weaker evolving basics like Wooper, Mankey, and the starters). Of course, it's been months since I've done anything in the Battle Frontier, so it is possible that some things have changed since then.

As for Shore Up Tyranitar, that's either an oversight or whoever was in charge of the Frontier just didn't care. There are other Pokémon with currently illegal moves throughout this game. There's Fissure Machamp (also used by a certain post-game NPC) and Iron Head Dragonite (Iron Head isn't a TM or Tutor yet) in the Slateport Battle Tent, and I read recently that the Frontier had Metal Burst Wobbuffet and Strength Sap Shuckle. I don't remember seeing any of those moves in the docs.

I play Open Level but I have built up enough of a streak in level 50 that the Factory offers me pretty much the same pokemon as in Open Level, i.e fully evolved mons and the occasional legendaries (no restricted legendaries, though). Only once during that entire streak did I see a mega evolution-capable pokémon -- Steelix. And yeah, I've seen that Fissure Machamp and Iron Head Dragonite in the Battle Tent, I played that a lot too before I got to postgame and Factory. But now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna try playing level 50 in the Factory just to see what I'll find, thanks for the heads-up.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024

I hear what you're saying. I was in charge of most of what you've encountered. I've done things like Body Press Shuckle and Shore Up Tyranitar as well as most of the Ubers. When I changed the mons, I replaced the first section of Pokemon (Weedle, Mankey, etc.) What I should have done is modify them to something less competitive but also much better than a Weedle. I didn't realize it used the first section of Battle Frontier mons as a start then moved towards the bottom.

I'll mention to Riolu what you've said and see if he's up to either allowing banned mons or just redoing many of the mons with illegal movesets and ubers.

Sazandora800

Hydreigon enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    I reset my level 50 streak and started a new one, and yes -- I can confirm, I ran into a Lugia, Victini, Mega Mawile, a Wobbuffet with Strength Sap and Metal Burst, and a Shell Smash Cloyster in the middle of standard level 50 "starter" pokémon such as Plusle, Graveler, Ivysaur and so on. But only in the very first seven battles; I continued my streak, the next seven battles (streak at 14 wins now) contained nothing but ordinary sets. No megas, no legendaries.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I've noticed that oftentimes when I level up my Pokémon, none of their stats change.

Is this a glitch or is it supposed to prevent from keeping the game too easy?

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    I hear what you're saying. I was in charge of most of what you've encountered. I've done things like Body Press Shuckle and Shore Up Tyranitar as well as most of the Ubers. When I changed the mons, I replaced the first section of Pokemon (Weedle, Mankey, etc.) What I should have done is modify them to something less competitive but also much better than a Weedle. I didn't realize it used the first section of Battle Frontier mons as a start then moved towards the bottom.

I'll mention to Riolu what you've said and see if he's up to either allowing banned mons or just redoing many of the mons with illegal movesets and ubers.

If the Frontier movesets ever do end up getting redone, I have some information about some of the inner workings of the original Frontier that may prove useful, for the purposes of balancing:

-The first 110 slots (0-109 when viewing the rom) were mostly weak unevolved basics. Originally, these were Sunkern through Seel. They never show up in the Battle Factory and get phased out quickly in other facilities. I'd be alright with battling Pokémon stronger than Weedle/Wooper/etc. here, but there DEFINITELY shouldn't be legendaries/strong Megas here... :)
    -The next 90 slots (110-199 in a rom, Grimer through Masquerain-1) were slightly stronger unevolved basics, some middle stages, and some really weak fully evolved Pokémon. They can show up within the first two rounds of the Battle Factory (assuming Level 50) and other facilities.
    -The next 67 slots (200-266, Dunsparce-1 through Cloyster-1) were mostly middle stages, single-stages, and some final forms. They can show up in Round 2 of the Lv. 50 Battle Factory and in Rounds 2-3 of other facilities.
    -The next 105 slots (267-371, Delcatty-2 through Cloyster-2) were a mixture of the above two groups, except with better movesets. They can show up in Round 3 of the Lv. 50 Battle Factory and in Rounds 3-4 of other facilities.
    -After this are four groups of 96, consisting of all fully evolved (at the time) Pokémon. 372-467 (Dugtrio-1 to Slaking-1) generally start appearing at Round 4 of other facilities/Lv. 50 Battle Factory and Round 1 of Open Level Battle Factory. 468-563 (Dugtrio-2 to Slaking-2) were Round 5 of other facilities/Lv. 50 Factory and Round 2 Open Level Factory. 564-659 (Dugtrio-3 to Slaking-3) and 660-755 (Dugtrio-4 to Slaking-4) kept the previous pattern going. Each group generally had better movesets than the previous one.
    -Slots 756+ were where legendaries, Dragonite, and Tyranitar started appearing in the original games, starting with Articuno-1. 9 other Pokémon (Gengar, Ursaring, Machamp, Gardevoir, Starmie, Lapras, Snorlax, Salamence, and Metagross) also had 4 extra movesets each past this point. In the Factory, these started appearing on Round 8 of Lv. 50 and Round 5 of Open Level. In other facilities, I believe they started appearing at battle #50. This, I think, would be a good place to drop the legendaries and stronger Megas...

If a reference to the original Frontier is ever needed, I found a list of movesets while looking around on Smogon: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qaujn3plwdgfadc/EmeraldBattleFrontierComplete.xlsx?dl=0
    Do note that this list uses the numbering system 1-882 instead of 0-881 like the rom does.

I've noticed that oftentimes when I level up my Pokémon, none of their stats change.

Is this a glitch or is it supposed to prevent from keeping the game too easy?

Stat/level caps are enforced at higher difficulties. On Normal, once a Pokémon has reached a certain level, it will stop gaining stats until the next Gym Leader is defeated. On Hard, they stop leveling up under these same circumstances.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Stat/level caps are enforced at higher difficulties. On Normal, once a Pokémon has reached a certain level, it will stop gaining stats until the next Gym Leader is defeated. On Hard, they stop leveling up under these same circumstances.
    Got it. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2023
    For whatever reason, my character name has been changing. The name started as "Beeftoe," and at some point became something like "BeefᶈÛe," and is now "Ú efᶈÛe."

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    You have to beat Steven first. He's at Meteor Falls. After that go to Shoal Cave and enter the room where you find Articuno, there should be a new cave there that's where Red is.

To add to that, you are supposed to catch Kyogre and Groudon, after them you can catch Rayquaza, and only then will you find Articuno and Red in Shoal Cave.

I was confused for months since I had explored the entire cave but after reading this I checked the documentation and saw you had to catch the weather trio for Articuno to appear.

The place you enter to catch Articuno appeared where before there was just a wall.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    For whatever reason, my character name has been changing. The name started as "Beeftoe," and at some point became something like "BeefᶈÛe," and is now "Ú efᶈÛe."

Yeah, our team is still uncertain what causes it. Questions:
    1. Did you update your game using the current save? Do you remember what version you started your save on?
    2. What emulator or device are you on?
    3. Did you do the outfit change?
    4. What rom base are you using? Did you use the online patcher?
    5. Does your RTC events still function correctly?

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I've noticed that when you try to buy decorations in Fortree City, the vendor on the left consistently causes the game to reset.
    Pokemon R.O.W.E. - an Open World Version of Pokémon Emerald(Gen 8, Following Pokémon, Costumes and much More)

I am running mGBA v0.9.3 on a Windows 11 laptop. I used the online patcher for the game.

I reproduced the issue on a different save on my Mac and it yields the same result.

Last edited:

Sazandora800

Hydreigon enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    The man who sells you nature mints in Oldale Town seems to have gone missing. He's nowhere to be seen whereas the other NPC in the same house is still around. mGBA, version 1.7.4. I used the online patcher.
    Illuminate also causes the game to softlock when a pokemon with that ability is sent out against a pokemon with +6 special attack, in this case I was at the Battle Tower with a Drapion out and my opponent sends out Starmie, a message pops up as Illuminate triggers and it says "Drapion is charging power!", and the game locks up.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2023
    1. Did you update your game using the current save? Do you remember what version you started your save on?

This happens to me as well. Hasn't happened in two days though.

1. Went from 1.7.3 to 1.7.4 on the same save file.
    2. PC Retroarch mGBA -> mGBA 0.9.3 -> PC Retroarch mGBA, switched to mGBA ~3-4 hours.
    3. Default -> FRLG -> Default, only switched for less than a minute
    4. 1986 - Pokemon Emerald (U)(TrashMan), I used the online patcher for both versions.
    5. day and night pokemon still appear in petalburg woods. Daily 2 fossils still appear. I can rematch trainers daily.

Others:
    I save state reset frequently to catch pokemon. ~300/hour

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2023

1. Nope. New save to a newly-patched base file. File patched only a few days before I noticed it happening, so 1.7.4.
    2. Win10 desktop, mGBA 0.9.3
    3. Yes, actually. I am the base Emerald sprite on the save, but I do recall changing it at some point. Cannot recall changing it back on my own, and I have an exceptional memory. With that said, it is a minor detail, so maybe I misremember.
    4. And yes on the online patcher. Rom base is same file mentioned in the post above mine.
    5. Haven't noticed anything off with RTC. Was able to rebattle a gym atleast once.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    The man who sells you nature mints in Oldale Town seems to have gone missing. He's nowhere to be seen whereas the other NPC in the same house is still around. mGBA, version 1.7.4. I used the online patcher.
    Illuminate also causes the game to softlock when a pokemon with that ability is sent out against a pokemon with +6 special attack, in this case I was at the Battle Tower with a Drapion out and my opponent sends out Starmie, a message pops up as Illuminate triggers and it says "Drapion is charging power!", and the game locks up.

The Oldale Town Nature mint guy is to the east of that house in a new building.

Pls add Nuzlocke mode

Adding Nuzlocke mode will likely take a lot of work, rom space and potential new bugs. Most people just set rules for themselves and follow those rules.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2023
    By far one of my favourite ROM hacks, but the Gen 4 sprites for the RSE/Emerald costumes really aren't to my taste. Is there any way to disable them, or do you plan to add an option to do so? If not, I guess I'll just stick to using the FRLG sprite.

UnusualPete

Not a fan of shinymons
    Years
  • As the person above me mentioned, it's likely your rom base. I'd recommend using the online patcher. It will tell you if you have the correct one before patching it.

Like I replyed to them, I used the correct base rom AND I used the online patcher.

Before patching, is it supposed to appear a green checkmark next to CRC32, MD5 and SHA-1, or just one of them? To me, it only shows next to CRC32.

Last edited:
    Back