• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Region Generator

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
Years
  • Just got 1.2.5, looks great and runs perfectly. the borders are just as jarring as you said, but manageable. only downside:
    unknown.png

Town Map is in x3 Resolution, easily fixable by just modifying in paint program of choice, keeping aspect ratio, and changing height/width to 320/480 respectively. 1.2.6 gonna be a BOP that's for sure

Years
  • Town Map is in x3 Resolution

Oops. I think it's because I had to fiddle with the town map code after the areas got slightly bigger. I might hotfix that before the next release.

Edit: I have reuploaded v1.2.5 with a hotfix for the town map scaling.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Can we use tilesets other than gen 3 ones?

You can edit the tileset with other textures, but you have to keep the same tiles in the same place within the tileset (i.e., if you use a different grass texture you need to place it where the previous grass texture is located in the Gen 3 tileset). I don't provide any other tilesets upfront though, so you'll have to do that yourself.

Venomous_Zero86

Pokemon Chosen Ones (Coming Soon)
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2022
    this took a while to set up, but the maps are interesting.
    some maps are almost identical, but otherwise, it looks good.
    if anyone is unsure how to set it up, and just wants a random map file (rxdata), PM me, and I'll send you one. the tool creates 50 maps, and I won't use them all anyway.

do you think u can help me make a region using this i dont fully understand ruby and such to convert the files into rpgxp files for my game and this seems very nice

Venomous_Zero86

Pokemon Chosen Ones (Coming Soon)
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2022
    is the tileset provided the only one that works with this or can we use our own tilesets also to generate regions

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2022
    First of all, this is EXCELLENT. This is EXACTLY what I needed to get started on a new project. While I do enjoy mapping towns and cities, I always struggled with designing the routes and making them look natural. This is EXTREMELY helpful. REALLY looking forward to future updates for this.

I'm having a problem with generating the trainers and Pokemon. I tried running it from the game folder as well as copying and pasting the PBS folder of my game into the root folder of Cartographer, but whenever I do that, the program doesn't start. And if I don't do either of those, it gives me an warning saying either "the map can be generated but encounters and trainers will not be possible" on the later versions, and "please run the app from the project folder" on the earlier version. Am I missing something obvious? Pls help.

Years
  • I'm having a problem with generating the trainers and Pokemon. I tried running it from the game folder as well as copying and pasting the PBS folder of my game into the root folder of Cartographer, but whenever I do that, the program doesn't start. And if I don't do either of those, it gives me an warning saying either "the map can be generated but encounters and trainers will not be possible" on the later versions, and "please run the app from the project folder" on the earlier version. Am I missing something obvious? Pls help.

Hey, glad you like the tool!

Where are you placing Cartographer exactly within the project? It should be right under the main folder, at the same level as the PBS folder (so next to it). If that part is correct and the program isn't launching, try checking the log.txt file inside CartographerOutput folder to see what it says. It could be a permissions thing or it could be something about your PBS files it doesn't like for some reason, which I'd be happy to look at.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I saw this tool being used in a recent ML paper that I am trying to replicate, and I am having a really hard time trying to get this tool to work. I have 1.2.5 downloaded, and copied everything from PE19 over. The application can open, and when I click "Generate Region", the program just hangs. I looked into the logs, and I get
    Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/javafx/geom/Rectangle
    , which is caused by
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.javafx.geom.Rectangle

I saw a previous post about this same issue, and the user said that they had multiple java versions. I have tried both JDK11 and JDK16, with clean installs between each attempt, and I keep getting this error. Any suggestions?

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    To follow up with my previous post, it appears javafx was removed from the JDK starting in java11, which means I had to get an archived version of Java 8. Might help new users to have a disclaimer (unless I missed it) that newer (by that I mean anything modern) versions of java won't work.

Years
  • Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/javafx/geom/Rectangle

Last time someone had this happen, it was because they had a JDK other than the Oracle JDK installed. Then they tried installing Oracle JDK and still had the problem, but that's because they didn't uninstall the other version first (if I'm remembering right). However, I'm not sure when the last time I updated my Java was though, so you might be right that it was dropped from later versions. I will probably use a different Rectangle implementation regardless so that hopefully people will not have to bump into this anymore. Thanks for your report!

Years
  • That message is normal, it should not affect anything. There are a couple different warnings/errors that rvpacker will throw out but most of them don't relate to what Cartogrpher is trying to do. You might also see an error about "missing scripts" or another one about PBAnimations.rxdata, but these errors don't matter either because we don't need to modify anything in those files

Years
  • Could a scrubland biome be added? It would be very similar to the desert in many ways, but it would add some visual variety to the regions in my opinion

I do plan on adding more biomes and biome variants. Can't really promise any time frame on it, though.

Back