• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
  • Trust me, I can't stand MMORPG's XD but well, it IS an RPG... And thus basically a game... But the stats and stuff are really just to give a feel of the different Pokémons' power... I know it may sound like it's all about the leveling, but it's not... But the story would be mostly based on what people decide to do, how they decide to use their character, and what paths they wish to take.

Then, every now and then, we'll make events, which people can take part in... But generally, the characters create their own stories. And from that, we award them with EXP, depending on the quality and creativity. I've been playing this sort of RP for about 4 years now, though that was based on Naruto, and it's not just mindless MMORPG style grinding... The characters and the story is still the most important... The numbers are all just for the technical parts where people need to get a general image of each others' level of power.

Characters creating their own stories...that's very interesting. But how can one character create a story? A story needs a plot, and a plot usually revolves around some situation external to the characters. For instance, there is a prophecy and the characters have been chosen. Or, an evil team is taking over the region, and the characters need to defeat it. The characters themselves can't do much to create these scenarios. You, or whoever the GM is, create the setting. I'm wondering if the setting will be depicted in a way that hints at a plot, or whether it will be a 'default' setting much like the anime - green grass, blue skies, and good old ineffectual Team Rocket lurking around the corner. After all, earning badges and trying to become Champion is also a plot...though I'm hoping you'll have some other ideas.

Or, maybe you're thinking that won't be necessary. Maybe players will act on their own initiative and put their characters into interesting situations that foster the development of a story. That would be very exciting to see. From what I've seen of journey RPs, though, it doesn't usually happen. Finding themselves in a vast world filled with Pokemon, players don't go out of their way to find excitement. They just run out to the nearest route to catch a Rattata, and move on.

Last edited:

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
    Years
  • Well, most of the backstory and stuff haven't been fully worked out yet, but it'll come... When I say they make their own stories it's meant as that they have freedom of choice... Unlike with your "chosen" thing... Besides, such a plot will eventually either end, due to the "chosen ones" defeating the bad guys, or simply because the story get's nowhere, in order to avoid the first thing from happening...

Only thing truly decided is that the characters start out receiving their Pokémon licence from one of the four head researchers/professors of the Region... From there, they choose their path... The most common will most likely be getting bagdes, winning the League and probably attempt to keep their position at the top... but people can also choose to just journey around, doing whatever... They can, as said, join a Gym as an apprentice, or even start their own Pokémon ranch, if they're experienced enough with that kind of stuff... They can do plenty of things besides battling, which is the only real place where the stats of Pokémon is used...

So really, I provide the players with a setting, namely the Worah Region... And then they will help me shape it from there, through the actions of their characters... Occasionally, as already mentioned, special events will take place, which could maybe be that a group of Pokémon terrorists(I'm getting tired of the Pokémon snatching thing XD) is threatening Butterbrook city(first one of my cities I could think of XD) and people can join in, or maybe they're involved already by maybe being a member of the group themselves, or being one of Rei(the Butterbrook gym leader)'s apprentices.

So basically, the characters will drive the story, help form it, instead of me simply directing it all, reducing their choices and freedom...

And top your edit: That's kinda what I want to do. You say it doesn't work, though I beg to differ... As said, I've been part of a site that plays this way for four years(I'm actually Second-in-command), and it haven't been a problem... Of course, that was Naruto, not Pokémon, but I can't see how it should be much different. Besides, catching Pokémon will also have a technical part, in order to keep people from just catching pokémon left and right, kinda like the stats are meant to keep people from thinking their Pokémon is invincible...

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • And top your edit: That's kinda what I want to do. You say it doesn't work, though I beg to differ... As said, I've been part of a site that plays this way for four years(I'm actually Second-in-command), and it haven't been a problem... Of course, that was Naruto, not Pokémon, but I can't see how it should be much different. Besides, catching Pokémon will also have a technical part, in order to keep people from just catching pokémon left and right, kinda like the stats are meant to keep people from thinking their Pokémon is invincible...

I'm glad to hear that. I really hope it works with Pokemon, too. It's just that, whenever I've tried to take journeying slower, looking at other aspects of the Pokeworld and just trying to write realistically (don't our characters ever eat or sleep?), I found myself outstripped by the die-hard levelers. XD I think it's the 'competition' aspect of the journey. You want to have stronger Pokemon than everybody else, so you run through the roleplay without thinking about much else other than battling.

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
    Years
  • Well... These "die-hard levelers" as you call 'em, may not even be as much "levelers" as you think... If they just run around and battles, doing nothing more, it will most likely cause a decrease in the post's quality and creativity, if they weren't bad to begin with, which means that the people who focus on the storytelling may actually be the ones who gets rewarded the most... Besides, for them to battle, battle, battle, they'll need to have someone to battle against, and thus, hopefully, there'll be character interaction anywuss...

Also, for people who still want to keep their mons on a decent level and/or simply enjoys a good fight, yet still would like to focus more on their character in the main game, there will be a sort of "fight board", which I'll probably dub the "battle simulator", where people can make a thread, proposing a challenge. These threads will thus be entirely based on fighting, but also entirely optional... The creators of the thread can also make their own rules for these matches, in case you may want to test your Pokémon out at a higher level, or maybe try and have a stat free match.

Vyro

Master Douchelord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    So, you'd prefer playing as a Pokemon? Or something else entirely?

Yes. A Pokemon. I changed my username to Darkly the flygon a long time ago because of a pokemon I used in RPs (Oddly, he would usually end up being the main villain.)

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • I'm kinda with Rabbit. Sometime's I like to push myself, thus my posts, simply so I can get my pokemon higher than the other players. I always see things as a competition, and this isn't any different. I'm sure its the same with others, but if people continue to push themselves, then that means their posts can and will get better. Its all just a matter of how careful they create each post.

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
    Years
  • Well of course, some of them would have to be able to keep of the quality, but again, they'd need people to fight against for them to fight all the time... And if people don't wish to fight, they have to think of something else... And again, there are other ways to get strong pokémon, which will require your TRAINER to have the experience, not the Pokémon...

But yeah, it's really ineviatable for there to be no problems... I can just hope people will remember to include some character development...

Last edited:

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
  • What's the first thing you look for in a roleplay?

Well, I guess there's not one singular thing I look for in an RP. I guess I'll throw a few points down though xD

1. Imo a good RP must allow for a good amount of character development. This is why I like trainer RP's the most. A good trainer RP will allow you not only to develep your character's personality, but will also allow you to develop individual characters for each of their pokemon. <-- I enjoy doing this. xD

2. As most people have said, a neat and organised OP is important. If an OP is messy and unorganized, I tend to make an assumption that the RP won't be run particularly well. I don't know whether this is true or not, but it's an assumption I make. On top of this, I look for good spelling and grammar.

3. I prefer RP's that don't allow reservations. Reservation's tend to hold up the start of an RP while the OP chases up people who have reserved a place and then seemingly forgotten about it. It's just easier and far less hassle if there are no reservations, and it also tends to increase the quality of SU's if there's competition for spots.

So yeah, that's what I look for in an RP. I also try to incorporate these points into any RP I may be running as well.

Last edited:
    Years
  • On top of this, I look good spelling and grammar.

XD

I prefer RP's that don't allow reservations. Reservation's tend to hold up the start of an RP while the OP chases up people who have reserved a place and then seemingly forgotten about it. It's just easier and far less hassle if there are no reservations, and it also tends to increase the quality of SU's if there's competition for spots.

Wouldn't the quality of sign-ups drop, as everybody is in a rush to get theirs done? Either way, I don't like people having spots reserved for long periods of time, especially when you want to join an RP and find out all the spots have been reserved, however I also don't like the idea of writing up a sign-up and then posting it and realising other people have taken the spots while you've been writing it up, or checking in the morning before work (or wherever else you have to go) and then not being able to write a sign-up and then coming back and finding all the spots are taken. Reservations should be able to be held, but only for two days at the absolute maximum.

slls81

What does that even mean?
    Years
  • XD

Wouldn't the quality of sign-ups drop, as everybody is in a rush to get theirs done? Either way, I don't like people having spots reserved for long periods of time, especially when you want to join an RP and find out all the spots have been reserved, however I also don't like the idea of writing up a sign-up and then posting it and realising other people have taken the spots while you've been writing it up, or checking in the morning before work (or wherever else you have to go) and then not being able to write a sign-up and then coming back and finding all the spots are taken. Reservations should be able to be held, but only for two days at the absolute maximum.

Omg I can't believe I did that! I've corrected it now. xD

I'm just speaking from my experiences. I've found that saying: "I will judge all posted SU's in two days time" or something of that ilk, tends to lead to better quality SU's. I also think it looks better than having the first four or five posts all saying "reserve me pleez xD".

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • I agree with the reservation thing: while reserving makes things fairer (in a sense) it's still basically first come first serve. For example, someone might work hard on an SU, only to post and find out someone's simply went and reserved their spot.

That, and if there is more than one SU, it's really up to the RP master to judge which is better :)

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Things have been kind of slow around here and I'm itching to start my own roleplay. So I have a question for all of you - yes, even the lurkers. What's the first thing you look for in a roleplay?

I'm pretty picky, unfortunately.

I tend to like trainer RP's that don't restrict what pokemon you can and can't use.

Basically... I like the RP's where you get to choose your pokemon instead of being stuck with a starter.

Yeah, it's pretty picky, I know.

V_V

Years
  • Personally I look for something unique, unless I'm really itching to join a journey RP. I mean sure no two RPs are exactly alike, but I'm not going to go join an RP where people change into Pokemon because even that seems overused now. Then if the RP is unique, I'm going to go ahead and look to see if there's good grammar, if the people getting accepted into the RP really worked (at least a bit, and didn't type like MSN chat) on their SUs.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Looks like trainer RPs win hands down. Let's narrow the field down a bit. Do you prefer trainer RPs where your character is an experienced trainer, or a newbie? If the latter, are you comfortable with playing a 12-year-old, or do you prefer an older character?

Years
  • For that one, I guess a newbie just because I've joined more of those. Really I think it depends on my mood =| Sometimes I enjoy where you make Pokemon teams and give stats and stuff already for them, instead of only picking a starter and then getting random Pokemon you like in the RP. But for the age question, I prefer my characters to be a bit older, probably because I can associate with them a bit easier and it lets me RP with them better.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
  • Newbie, like I said I like starting my character with a clean slate. The one thing I enjoy about making up a team is the figuring out stuff xD I can spend hours just looking at what moves to give my creatures, and to which of the opponent's Pokemon I'd put them against. I guess it's part of the OCD in me? I like ordering things xD
    As for the age, I like my characters older. Do you really want an irresponsible 12-year-old wandering around with a powerhouse of Pokemon about to roast you? No, no you don't. I usually create my characters between 16-19 years old, 15 if must but no younger.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • I like newbie he best, however I absolutely hate it when the trainers have to be ages between 10-13. I'm with Swan. Do you really want an irresponsible child going on a journey that could possibly kill you? I prefer older, such as 16-19. While 16 is still relatively young, at least they're still teens. Beside's, writing teenagers are fun, cuz we're flippin' crazy!

Getsumei

The Avatar of the Beaver
    Years
  • I'm not sure... I guess it would depend on the RP really, and what mood I'm in. I can play both, but I've been known to be pretty adabtable anywuss- For the ages, I prefer mine to be about 16-19... Only time I've really played younger was when I was playing as a pair of ubergeniuses XD

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    Both are fine by me but lately, with the trend of new trainer RPs cropping up, I'm more inclined to sway towards the experienced trainers spectrum. One of the main reasons for that is the age issue. Teenagers are fine and all, but I love seeing older more mature takes on characters in the pokemon world. Sounds a bit redundant, seeing as how pokemon is a kid-friendly enterprise but the manga itself is a testament to that opposing notion already. 20's, 30's, 40's and heck, even the elderly have a lot of potential in diversity that I just don't think is explored enough. Plus, with that amount of experience already under the belt pre-RP, seeing how they interact and develop from there is a pretty exciting concept to me. Of course, being able to play that age range requires a rather...open mind, something I'm sure some people might struggles with, myself included.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Both are fine by me but lately, with the trend of new trainer RPs cropping up, I'm more inclined to sway towards the experienced trainers spectrum. One of the main reasons for that is the age issue. Teenagers are fine and all, but I love seeing older more mature takes on characters in the pokemon world. Sounds a bit redundant, seeing as how pokemon is a kid-friendly enterprise but the manga itself is a testament to that opposing notion already. 20's, 30's, 40's and heck, even the elderly have a lot of potential in diversity that I just don't think is explored enough. Plus, with that amount of experience already under the belt pre-RP, seeing how they interact and develop from there is a pretty exciting concept to me. Of course, being able to play that age range requires a rather...open mind, something I'm sure some people might struggles with, myself included.

Age diversity for the win! b(*_*)b It's funny how in the Turia RP, the characters could be any age over 15, and the context hinted that they should be pretty experienced people (the researchers, anyway). But no-one created a character over 30. I like the idea of other people playing older characters, but the characters I design are young adults by default. Most people tend to roleplay characters their own age. Plus, no-one likes to be the odd one out, and a 40-year-old in a crowd of teenagers would really stand out. So, to make a RP with older characters, I would have to pretty much force the sign-ups to be in a particular age range.

Back