• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Hoenn has always been my least favorite, but I've been playing my emerald to complete a challenge im doing, and I must say I like it a lot more this time around. I'm actually getting really hopeful for R/S/E remakes.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I think these remakes are the most anticipated actually and are certainly the ones on my list. You didn't hear much about Gold & Silver remakes, there was speculation but not as much as there is for Ruby & Sapphire which is kind of ironic considering they got a much lower reputation in comparison. This is good however as the more fans that demand it the more likely it's going to happen, not to mention the money which Nintendo love.

It seems like with each generation, the want for a remake of whatever the most outdated generation is is sought after more and more. So with all the commotion for an RS remake, just imagine DP. Though, gen IV is still directly compatible with the latest generation, so I don't know if DP will receive as much as RS is in terms of those who want a remake.

I also feel like there's more discussion about RS remakes because the story of RS is MUCH bigger and bolder than that of RBY and GSC. There's just more to discuss, honestly. And not only that, but I think some people that dislike gen III want to give it another chance and see if it can be improved with remakes.

blue

gucci
    Years

It seems like with each generation, the want for a remake of whatever the most outdated generation is is sought after more and more. So with all the commotion for an RS remake, just imagine DP. Though, gen IV is still directly compatible with the latest generation, so I don't know if DP will receive as much as RS is in terms of those who want a remake.

I also feel like there's more discussion about RS remakes because the story of RS is MUCH bigger and bolder than that of RBY and GSC. There's just more to discuss, honestly. And not only that, but I think some people that dislike gen III want to give it another chance and see if it can be improved with remakes.

That's true, that is one of the reasons why I think RSE deserves a remake so that people actually realize how good it actually was because those who actually slated the games will probably change their opinions. Also, I've started to think about DP remakes and I would like them, it's a long shot I know but it's now been six years since we had Diamond & Pearl and if graphics advance at current rate then they may be entitled to them.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I believe GF will add Groudon/Kyogre encounter after Weather Crisis because Emerald's story doesn't have any obligatory battle with any legendary. Rayquaza is available but there is no any obligation to battle with it. That could mean GF planned Groudon/Kyogre encounter after Weather Crisis in R/S remakes already during Emerald's development.

You mean that Game Freak has been planning for nearly 10 years for a remake? Doubt it, big time. My brother has Emerald and I believe he captured his Rayquaza right after the Weather Crisis. If the battle isn't obligatory, it might just be a hole in the game left from remaking Ruby and Sapphire into Emerald.

R/S/E look like the last Pokemon games capable of having their stories fused with each other and having two remakes because their differences doesn't really rule out each other. It's totally different than D/P/Pt because Platinum's story seems to be impossible to be fused with Diamond or Pearl because there is obligatory battle with Giratina. That's why it seems very unlikely to have Diamond and Pearl remakes because it doesn't make any sense to ignore battle with Giratina and move to Dialga or Palkia.

I agree with you here, but this can also be applied to R/S/E as well, as D/P/Pt do the same basic thing that R/S/E do: Take the first 2 games and combine them for a unique 3rd version remake.

And I don't agree with saying that adding Kyogre/Groudon encounter after Emerald's Weather Crisis would make Emerald's story flawed and inaccurate. Rayquaza would do it's job to stop battle between Kyogre and Groudon, just like in Emerald. Rayquaza's legend would be fulfilled, just like in Emerald. Stopping one Kyogre or Groudon after Weather Crisis is not part of Rayquaza's legend, so I don't see any good reason against idea of mixing Emerald's story with Ruby or Sapphire, especially when there is actual possibility to make it happen in contrast to not being possible for Platinum to be mixed with Diamond or Pearl and probably for B2/W2 to be mixed with B/W.

My main issue against it is that it shifts the focus of the mascot Legendary (Groudon or Kyogre) onto Rayquaza, just like in Platinum when Giratina appears to stop Dialga and Palkia. Yes, GF could go do your idea, but it changes which Pokemon the story is focused. Rayquaza shouldn't be advertised as the most powerful Pokemon in a game that is focused around Groudon.

I think these remakes are the most anticipated actually and are certainly the ones on my list. You didn't hear much about Gold & Silver remakes, there was speculation but not as much as there is for Ruby & Sapphire which is kind of ironic considering they got a much lower reputation in comparison. This is good however as the more fans that demand it the more likely it's going to happen, not to mention the money which Nintendo love.

The only reason R/S/E remakes are anticipated are because some fans believe Game Freak is definitely going to make them, despite there being no evidence of it. The only real evidence supporters show are the previous remakes. Ever since HG/SS were announced, talks of possible R/S/E remakes have been going on. The assumption is that Game Freak has a tradition that they will not break.

The problem is though that there is no "tradition". The games were released like this:
    1-Ruby and Sapphire
    2-FireRed and LeafGreen [Remakes]
    3-Emerald [3rd version]
    4-Diamond and Pearl
    5-Platinum [3rd version]
    6-HeartGold and SoulSilver [Remakes]
    7-Black and White
    8-Black 2 and White 2 [Sequels]

These games were not released in an order than can be used to predict future releases. Though it is possible that R/S/E will come one day, I doubt it will be after B2/W2 just because "it's time for a remake!"

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    You mean that Game Freak has been planning for nearly 10 years for a remake? Doubt it, big time. My brother has Emerald and I believe he captured his Rayquaza right after the Weather Crisis. If the battle isn't obligatory, it might just be a hole in the game left from remaking Ruby and Sapphire into Emerald.

Your brother encountered and battled Rayquaza after Weather Crisis like probably most players did, but it's not obligatory, unlike Giratina in Platinum and Reshiram/Zekrom in B/W. In R/S remakes I think player should only awake Rayquaza before Weather Crisis, like in Emerald and real encounter/battle with Rayquaza could be simply moved to be in post-game, just like Suicune in HG/SS.

And yeah, I strongly believe R/S remakes could be planned already during Emerald's development. Obviously not already planned for production but only in simple concept of Rayquaza escaping after Weather Crisis. Pokemon franchise earns billions, so that's why they probably plan games' concepts MUCH earlier, even 10 years in advance. Having such well earning franchise is too serious to refuse planning it carefully earlier.

My main issue against it is that it shifts the focus of the mascot Legendary (Groudon or Kyogre) onto Rayquaza, just like in Platinum when Giratina appears to stop Dialga and Palkia. Yes, GF could go do your idea, but it changes which Pokemon the story is focused. Rayquaza shouldn't be advertised as the most powerful Pokemon in a game that is focused around Groudon.

Even if Kyogre or Groudon are advertised as less powerful than Rayquaza, their return after Weather Crisis would make them look much more powerful than in Emerald, because it would show that they are powerful enough to strike again. Rayquaza would still be advertised as the most powerful because it would stop both Kyogre and Groudon at one time. Rayquaza in R/S remakes would be something like Mewtwo in R/B/Y/FR/LG - the strongest Pokemon available only after beating League. I really like that idea.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014

I recall saying that the trio battle would still happen, except in the end your version's mascot is the 'last one standing'...so where exactly are you pulling this 'no fair Rayquaza is stronger than your mascot' info from? If you're not referring to my idea there, then I take this back, just trying to clarify up there.

Also, I'm actually hoping they get released on the 3DS, which probably won't follow any preset "pattern" anyways, not that it has to follow any pattern anyway. I'm sure we are all speculating the date being sooner moreso because that is how much we want them rather then 'oh the time is right here'; imo, all of us, deep down(and who care nonetheless anyway, haha), wouldn't argue with them being released when we'd hope they would be ready and at their best, even if it isn't in the near future.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    Heck yes! This is the region that I've played in the least and I miss it. I wouldn't mind going back. Hopefully you'd be able to send pokemon back and forth from Unova to Hoenn.

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
    Okay....in HG/SS, you were able to catch both mascots, why can''t we do the same here? Whatever works I guess..... Also, with with the pattern, treat B2/W2 like the "3rd" game, and there's still room for a remake before gen 6.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I recall saying that the trio battle would still happen, except in the end your version's mascot is the 'last one standing'...so where exactly are you pulling this 'no fair Rayquaza is stronger than your mascot' info from? If you're not referring to my idea there, then I take this back, just trying to clarify up there.

Also, I'm actually hoping they get released on the 3DS, which probably won't follow any preset "pattern" anyways, not that it has to follow any pattern anyway. I'm sure we are all speculating the date being sooner moreso because that is how much we want them rather then 'oh the time is right here'; imo, all of us, deep down(and who care nonetheless anyway, haha), wouldn't argue with them being released when we'd hope they would be ready and at their best, even if it isn't in the near future.

No, I wasn't talking about your idea, I meant Wombateiro's idea of having Rayquaza stop Groudon and Kyogre, but for some reason, you would go after Groudon/Kyogre, but not Rayquaza. The thing about your idea is that Rayquaza wouldn't be able to stop Groudon AND Kyogre, when it clearly could before and has the ability to.

I feel that people just want the "tradition" to stay the same. They aren't concerned with the possibility of improvements for a later release, so long as it happens when they EXPECT it to happen, which is why some people were upset that we got Black 2 and White 2 instead of Gray. It went against the norm.

Okay....in HG/SS, you were able to catch both mascots, why can''t we do the same here? Whatever works I guess..... Also, with with the pattern, treat B2/W2 like the "3rd" game, and there's still room for a remake before gen 6.

Because, both mascots were in the original Gold and Silver games as well. They kept it the same for the remakes, which is why I believe if they remake Ruby and Sapphire, Groudon and Kyogre would be version exclusives again.

The problem with the "pattern/tradition" is that B2/W2 are supposed to be true sequels, not a 3rd version mixture remake. Whether that's true or not has yet to be seen, but if it IS true, that completely breaks the pattern.

And again, there are 2 ways to obtain most of the Hoenn Legends already: 1-From the original GBA games themselves, and 2-HG/SS. If you don't have either of these games, you can still trade to get these Pokemon with people who do.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    The reason I think in R/S remakes player should battle Groudon or Kyogre right after Weather Crisis based on Emerald is because they are "bad guys". Rayquaza is actually player's ally, stopping the crisis. That's why it's not required in Emerald's story to battle Rayquaza.

Making obligatory battle with Groudon or Kyogre after Weather Crisis based on Emerald would take care of two things:
    - it would provide obligatory battle with legendary which is missing in Emerald,
    - it would make Rayquaza being post-game legendary, which is imo more suitable status for it because it would make sense for Rayquaza to not be present on the top of Sky Pillar until player beats League. After that Rayquaza would fly back to Sky Pillar and wait for player who became Champion and is "worth" to battle Rayquaza.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    The reason I think in R/S remakes player should battle Groudon or Kyogre right after Weather Crisis based on Emerald is because they are "bad guys". Rayquaza is actually player's ally, stopping the crisis. That's why it's not required in Emerald's story to battle Rayquaza.

Making obligatory battle with Groudon or Kyogre after Weather Crisis based on Emerald would take care of two things:
    - it would provide obligatory battle with legendary which is missing in Emerald,
    - it would make Rayquaza being post-game legendary, which is imo more suitable status for it because it would make sense for Rayquaza to not be present on the top of Sky Pillar until player beats League. After that Rayquaza would fly back to Sky Pillar and wait for player who became Champion and is "worth" to battle Rayquaza.

This is horribly wrong...By this logic alone the world is full of bad guys. Every Legendary that fights against you is a bag guy, every trainer, police officer, Pokemon is a bad guy simply because they engage you in battle just because the battles are obligatory.

Sadly no Rayquaza was not on the Player's side. He was created to maintain the balance between the two rival Pokemon. There is no evil tendencies in the Pokemon themselves, they fight simply to survive and follow what their instincts tell them to. Rayquaza stopping them is simply part of its instinct telling him to stop them. If he were allied with the trainer he would be caught right then and there by the trainer.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    This is horribly wrong...By this logic alone the world is full of bad guys. Every Legendary that fights against you is a bag guy, every trainer, police officer, Pokemon is a bad guy simply because they engage you in battle just because the battles are obligatory.

Sadly no Rayquaza was not on the Player's side. He was created to maintain the balance between the two rival Pokemon. There is no evil tendencies in the Pokemon themselves, they fight simply to survive and follow what their instincts tell them to. Rayquaza stopping them is simply part of its instinct telling him to stop them. If he were allied with the trainer he would be caught right then and there by the trainer.

Well, in that case Kyogre's and Groudon's instincts are bad and leading to destruction. That's why they can be considered as bad guys because their instincts are leading to apocalypse. Also, Rayquaza is not player's ally itself but is allied in sense of stopping Kyogre and Groudon. Rayquaza's instinct is positive, that's why I think it makes sense to obligatory battle Kyogre or Groudon because their instincts are destructive.

Btw, it looks like our discussion is not appreciated here, because I've got message saying that people are discouraged to post on this thread because of our long discussion. It was explained to me that they are supposedly trying to reply to this thread but in some way our discussion is making it difficult because they feel like interrupting. I don't see much sense in that explanation but whatever... let's move it to PM or VM if there is something left to discuss about it.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I for one am very hopeful for remakes of RSE because Hoenn was one of my favorite regions when I played through the games. One thing in particular that I liked was the plot (in Emerald especially) with the two teams acting off of each other, it was very unique and it gave a different feel to the games.

I just can't wait to see how this game's RNG is cracked, too... oh man I am excited. I just hope they remove Brendan xD He was terrible, but May was awesome!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I just can't wait to see how this game's RNG is cracked, too... oh man I am excited. I just hope they remove Brendan xD He was terrible, but May was awesome!

With the RNG thing, I think they would learn after Emerald's RNG haha. I never have done RNG in gen III, but I do know it's pretty broken lol.

And Brendan had a CREEPY smile in his official RS art.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    OMG that is creepy please put that away xD I'd imagine it'd be similar to BW's RNG anyway, since same generation (at least last generation) had similar RNG mechanics.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    OMG that is creepy please put that away xD I'd imagine it'd be similar to BW's RNG anyway, since same generation (at least last generation) had similar RNG mechanics.

It'd probably be different if RS remakes are 3DS exclusives, though. But I really doubt they'd do that, if RS remakes are released within gen V anyway. BUT knowing GameFreak lately, nothing can be for certain. "yay grey!! LOLZ NO it's b2w2!!!"

I debated on putting that picture in spoilers, but I wanna scare everyone. v_v

blue

gucci
    Years
    By the looks of things so far there is no Hoenn in B2W2 which is kind of what I was predicting to pop up, I'm not ruling it out as we don't have the full details on these games but going by what we have found out today I don't see it fitting in anywhere which is good because the need for R/S remakes are still necessary.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014

It'd probably be different if RS remakes are 3DS exclusives, though. But I really doubt they'd do that, if RS remakes are released within gen V anyway. BUT knowing GameFreak lately, nothing can be for certain. "yay grey!! LOLZ NO it's b2w2!!!"

I debated on putting that picture in spoilers, but I wanna scare everyone. v_v

If they keep it in the same generation, it'd be similar, but if it's in Gen VI, then I bet it'd be completely different. :B Just never know what they're going to do now.

Years
    Well, I was expecting the usual, Black/White, some sort of Grey version, followed by Ruby/Sapphire remakes.
    But now Game Freak have gone and tossed Black2/White2 into the mixture, I'm really not sure.
    Maybe they'll do it the opposite way round; two versions in place of 'Grey', and one in place of the two remakes. So maybe an Emerald remake?
    We'll have to wait and see.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    By the looks of things so far there is no Hoenn in B2W2 which is kind of what I was predicting to pop up, I'm not ruling it out as we don't have the full details on these games but going by what we have found out today I don't see it fitting in anywhere which is good because the need for R/S remakes are still necessary.

Yeah. The thing with other remakes though is that they were not compatible with the newest generation, not even indirectly (like how gen III is with gen V). But with the DS Lite's life coming to an end and the 3DS on the rise, there are going to be less people with that GBA slot, so there's no more gen III connectivity. So yeah, it's necessary. Also, without full B2W2 information, even still I don't think Hoenn will be included.

Well, I was expecting the usual, Black/White, some sort of Grey version, followed by Ruby/Sapphire remakes.
    But now Game Freak have gone and tossed Black2/White2 into the mixture, I'm really not sure.
    Maybe they'll do it the opposite way round; two versions in place of 'Grey', and one in place of the two remakes. So maybe an Emerald remake?
    We'll have to wait and see.

Ruby 2 and Sapphire 2.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back