• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

gucci
    Years
    There was already a volcanic area...anyone forget Mt. Chimney, haha?

I loved Mt. Chimney! I can just imagine how good it would look in remakes, probably something like this.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Hopefully even better(since they have a good chance, if coming, on the 3DS as well). That looks amazing as a DS version though, but it would look even better if in 'real 3D'(unless they could pull off something like a 'better' mountain-like look seen as Victory Road in BW). :)

That would set back a 3DS game yet another year or so(more than is being done now), which would be saddening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if it looked like that. I just want the remakes, haha.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Hopefully even better(since they have a good chance, if coming, on the 3DS as well). That looks amazing as a DS version though, but it would look even better if in 'real 3D'(unless they could pull off something like a 'better' mountain-like look seen as Victory Road in BW). :)

That would set back a 3DS game yet another year or so(more than is being done now), which would be saddening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if it looked like that. I just want the remakes, haha.

Yeah, even if it did end up similar to that I would love it but it will most likely as you said be on the 3DS so the same graphics as BW if not improved slightly and on that scale it would just look brilliant!

KingDrapion

dual-type Poison/Dark Pokémon.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2014
    I think that Emerald will most likely be remade instead of Ruby and Sapphire. Why? Because:
    1. Emerald had a better storyline and was almost completely different to R/S
    2. There are many hints facing towards an Emerald remake. For eg The green pokeball in HGSS
    3. Emerald will have access to all pokemon instead of having version exclusives
    4. If Game freak wanted to release a remake, it would be easier to focus on one game and they will have enough time to sell it on the 10 year anniversary date. Since its 2012 already and no R/S remakes have come out, possibly next year on Emerald's 10th anniversary we will see a release? (Emerald came out in 2003 right?)
    5. Seeing as Emerald was more of an upgrade rather than a remake, why would they downgrade back to R/S? Many would now say "then why didn't they remake Crystal?" HGSS had the events of Crystal in the game, there wasn't much of a difference from G/S to crystal. In R/S you have team magma and team aqua, you also have Kyogre and Groudon. The story in Emerald got more complex as they added both teams and both legendaries with a new plot. Crystals story stayed nearly the same as it was in G/S, besides making a mini Suicune story.
    So it would be more practical to make an Emerald remake rather than a R/S remake.
    This is completely my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013

4. If Game freak wanted to release a remake, it would be easier to focus on one game and they will have enough time to sell it on the 10 year anniversary date. Since its 2012 already and no R/S remakes have come out, possibly next year on Emerald's 10th anniversary we will see a release? (Emerald came out in 2003 right?)

There is still plenty of time in 2012. One unusual thing is that they are going to release B2/W2 in June, making it possible to release R/S remakes on their 10th anniversary in November.
    Emerald came out in 2004. Assuming they want to make R/S remakes as a part of 5 gen, I don't think they would wait to 2014, because it would be too long.

5. Seeing as Emerald was more of an upgrade rather than a remake, why would they downgrade back to R/S? Many would now say "then why didn't they remake Crystal?" HGSS had the events of Crystal in the game, there wasn't much of a difference from G/S to crystal. In R/S you have team magma and team aqua, you also have Kyogre and Groudon. The story in Emerald got more complex as they added both teams and both legendaries with a new plot. Crystals story stayed nearly the same as it was in G/S, besides making a mini Suicune story.
    So it would be more practical to make an Emerald remake rather than a R/S remake.
    This is completely my opinion.

There is big discussion about it on previous pages. GF can make R/S remakes with Emerald's storyline, adding battle with Groudon or Kyogre after cutscene with Weather Trio based on Emerald. That would mix Emerald with Ruby or Sapphire and would add something new to story, because making only Emerald's remake would keep everything the same which is not really a good thing - GF director says something like that in HG/SS about not being happy about redoing the same thing.

Btw, seeing how B2/W2 are developed for DS, I doubt R/S remakes for 3DS because DS and 3DS are completely different systems in case of making games for them. They put a lot of technical references to R/S/E in B/W and B2/W2, so ignoring it and start making remakes from scratch for 3DS would be weird imo.

blue

gucci
    Years
    True but they could have been making them on separate teams during the creation of BW/2, also if they made two separate remakes rather than one it would pull in alot more money than one game would. Remember that Crystal's features were incorporated into HGSS so it's likely they'll do the same but with the announcement of B2W2 anything is possible really.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Btw, seeing how B2/W2 are developed for DS, I doubt R/S remakes for 3DS because DS and 3DS are completely different systems in case of making games for them. They put a lot of technical references to R/S/E in B/W and B2/W2, so ignoring it and start making remakes from scratch for 3DS would be weird imo.

We have yet to have a main game for the 3ds so how do you know they couldn't communicate with each other?

Btw, references in BW and B2W2 does not guarantee them for the DS, they could be for either system, most likely the 3ds seeing as the ds is in it's twilight year kind of. Not entirely saying they couldn't be for the regular Ds, but it's a bit late for that, don't you think?

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    We have yet to have a main game for the 3ds so how do you know they couldn't communicate with each other?

Btw, references in BW and B2W2 does not guarantee them for the DS, they could be for either system, most likely the 3ds seeing as the ds is in it's twilight year kind of. Not entirely saying they couldn't be for the regular Ds, but it's a bit late for that, don't you think?

In this year or even in next year, it wouldn't be late for DS, seeing how B2/W2 are for DS. Making game for 3DS would require making completely new graphic engine and I doubt they would introduce that new graphic engine in remakes. In the same way I doubted B2/W2 for 3DS because GF always makes new graphic engine for brand new region aka new generation. DS and 3DS are too different from each other to share games from the same generation.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    It's still really odd that it would just show up and they'd be like "oh god, Rayquaza is here, let's scram"; Especially seeing as how they were really disturbed by the powers of the orbs awakening them; it just doesn't seem like it would really have ended that way. I'm not saying you're wrong, but rather that that could be one of things they could freshin up if they make 2 games instead of one(to keep true to the originals) yet still have the big battle, with your mascot standing tall in the end. :P

But that's Rayquaza's role, to calm the battling Groudon and Kyogre. For whatever strange reason, Rayquaza's appearance or authority stops the fighting. Changing it takes away from Rayquaza's role as the trio master. There's no use in changing the stories of these games, GF isn't going to totally change the stories. They didn't do it with the first 2 sets of remakes, and they aren't going to change them if they remake these games. For HG/SS, all they did was add in the elements from Crystal, which did not change the story of the others. The only other thing they did was give Lugia and Ho-oh a bit more importance to the plot, though it was only a small addition as well.

True but they could have been making them on separate teams during the creation of BW/2, also if they made two separate remakes rather than one it would pull in alot more money than one game would. Remember that Crystal's features were incorporated into HGSS so it's likely they'll do the same but with the announcement of B2W2 anything is possible really.

Gold, Silver, and Crystal had the same basic story, same as Red, Blue, and Yellow. Crystal's story was extra. After you catch Suicune, you continue your main quest, just as it was in Gold and Silver. They simply added it to HG/SS because there was no conflict in the main storyline. That is different with R/S/E, as all 3 have totally different stories, which makes it extremely difficult to just say "Oh, we'll combine them!". No logical story would come from mashing together the 3 different stories of R/S/E, they'd do better to just use the 1 story that already involves all 3 Legends if everyone wants the Weather Crisis scene. If people can do without that scene, we'd get Ruby and Sapphire remakes.

In this year or even in next year, it wouldn't be late for DS, seeing how B2/W2 are for DS. Making game for 3DS would require making completely new graphic engine and I doubt they would introduce that new graphic engine in remakes. In the same way I doubted B2/W2 for 3DS because GF always makes new graphic engine for brand new region aka new generation. DS and 3DS are too different from each other to share games from the same generation.

Since B2/W2 won't be out in the states until at least fall, I doubt we'll see another Japanese release this year. It would all depend on how soon the games come out in the US. Still seems to be far too soon for brand new games since these aren't even out for another 2 months. Not to mention, we are overdue for a Wii Pokemon game for battling purposes. I think we might see one before the Wii U comes out, maybe.

Also, nothing suggests that R/S/E remakes will come in this generation. According to rumors, B2/W2 will be the last Pokemon games for the DS, meaning Pokemon will be making the jump to the 3DS. For that, I suspect we'd get Gen. 6 as it will be for a new system. (I highly doubt Pokemon's debut on the 3DS will be in the form of a remake.) Then, because the 3DS would make the GBA games obsolete, we'll get our remakes. My biggest belief on this is that the GBA originals have to become obsolete to the current generation before a remake is justified. Once Pokemon hits the 3DS, there will be an actual NEED for remakes of R/S/E!

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
    Ruby and Sapphire was the first generation I actually got into pokemon when I was little so I really wish they remake this. I mean the game was THE MOST diverse when it came to culture and environment. It was also the first generation to bring around evil teams who had motives to "change the world" kind of deal. If you noticed, the Hoenn pokemon sprites were revamped in Black and White, as if they are preparing the Hoenn pokemon for something… so I hope they go through with it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Since B2/W2 won't be out in the states until at least fall, I doubt we'll see another Japanese release this year. It would all depend on how soon the games come out in the US. Still seems to be far too soon for brand new games since these aren't even out for another 2 months. Not to mention, we are overdue for a Wii Pokemon game for battling purposes. I think we might see one before the Wii U comes out, maybe.

FR/LG got released in US 1 week before Emerald in Japan. So they could do similar thing in this year with releasing B2/W2 in US this Fall shortly before R/S remakes in Japan. Releasing R/S remakes in November on R/S 10th anniversary would make 5 months gap between them and B2/W2 which could be enough time. If remakes are not planned for this year, why would they release B2/W2 in Japan in June, instead of traditional Fall after promotional movie?

Also, nothing suggests that R/S/E remakes will come in this generation. According to rumors, B2/W2 will be the last Pokemon games for the DS, meaning Pokemon will be making the jump to the 3DS. For that, I suspect we'd get Gen. 6 as it will be for a new system. (I highly doubt Pokemon's debut on the 3DS will be in the form of a remake.) Then, because the 3DS would make the GBA games obsolete, we'll get our remakes. My biggest belief on this is that the GBA originals have to become obsolete to the current generation before a remake is justified. Once Pokemon hits the 3DS, there will be an actual NEED for remakes of R/S/E!

There are plenty of hints suggesting R/S remakes in 5 gen, I don't want to remind them for another time. R/S remakes could be made for DS, even though GBA versions are not obsolete yet, because release pattern got broken after making both gens 4 and 5 for the same console. Anyway, GBA versions are incompatible with DSi, DSi XL and 3DS. That would change after making remakes for DS.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Soo just thought of something that hints to Hoenn remakes actually happening!

Basically if you look at Hilbert/Hilda from B/W, they look kinda like hikers, or "outdoors" type people, and if you look at the new protagonists from B2/W2, they look like they're people that are into water and swimming and stuff. So... from that, land/sea. What is R/S? Land/sea, basically, from Groudon/Kyogre. So logically next that'd follow would be the remakes definitely imoooooo. /crazy theory

...plus the fact that we now know Azurill aka Hoenn is on route 1 of B2/W2. :x

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't think Azurill has anything to do with it, but I do think you're on to something with the BW&2's protagonists. Although Hilda...WELL you know, I wouldn't hike in shorts that reveal my butt crack, but to each their own I suppose. You're still in the ball park with Hilbert looking like a hiker though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2012
    I think it could be real one day, because Game Freaks and Nintendo just want to make money, so they'll do it, certainly !

garjora

Ambassador of the Cosmos
    Years
    Ah I still remember the day when I got the ruby, sapphire, and emerald cartridges for my birthday(s) when I was younger (Of course it just got released back then) and it was so mindblowing, I seriously hope they remodel the Mirage Tower in the remakes (If there is any) so to make it harder to get to the fossils.

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    There are plenty of hints suggesting R/S remakes in 5 gen, I don't want to remind them for another time. R/S remakes could be made for DS, even though GBA versions are not obsolete yet, because release pattern got broken after making both gens 4 and 5 for the same console. Anyway, GBA versions are incompatible with DSi, DSi XL and 3DS. That would change after making remakes for DS.

Wouldn't that give them more reason to hold off on them?

Oh wait...I 'think' I might see what you're onto. Now that the original DS model is no longer in production, are you saying that with the Lite possibly being in its twilight(and maybe near its 'way out') that would make the Gba versions technically incompatible with what would still be in production(the original DSi model and onward, up 'til this gen's 3DS)?

/crazy overthinking

But that's Rayquaza's role, to calm the battling Groudon and Kyogre. For whatever strange reason, Rayquaza's appearance or authority stops the fighting. Changing it takes away from Rayquaza's role as the trio master. There's no use in changing the stories of these games, GF isn't going to totally change the stories. They didn't do it with the first 2 sets of remakes, and they aren't going to change them if they remake these games. For HG/SS, all they did was add in the elements from Crystal, which did not change the story of the others. The only other thing they did was give Lugia and Ho-oh a bit more importance to the plot, though it was only a small addition as well.

You basically try to drop the main comparison between the two sets, yet justify it now with how the story is? Even you admitted how different the two scenarios are.

They don't want to make the exact same games and I'm sure they'd try to reason this time(keeping the basics of the originals, yet try to blend with the last) more than anything. Some of the questions they probably could be thinking over(in what we're discussing, not saying that they are of course):

- Why make just one Em version when we could still profit off of 2 games?
    - Why make two versions of R+S and drop all the stuff from E that we worked really hard with to try and make a better story?

This is why I think they would want to compromise with the first 2 versions and the 3rd(which is why some of us have been thinking up ways they could, without destroying everything). I wasn't using what I said to try to create even more havoc, just was thinking of how they could mix it up(moreso with the Sootopolis confrontation; one of the main issues) while letting your mascot shine. Wouldn't doing this(the mix in general) create a new experience, rather than make just RS or just Em(along with whatever else they could include)?

Not completely throwing your ideas out of my mind, as we all know anything could happen at this point...just looking at how they could work out 2 games this time.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Oh wait...I 'think' I might see what you're onto. Now that the original DS model is no longer in production, are you saying that with the Lite possibly being in its twilight(and maybe near its 'way out') that would make the Gba versions technically incompatible with what would still be in production(the original DSi model and onward, up 'til this gen's 3DS)?

There are rumors saying that DS Lite is already no longer in production. Even if it's still in production, there are lots of "new" people who started their gaming with DSi or onward and they're not going to get older consoles. For those people GBA era doesn't exist. That's why I think remakes should be done for DS family, not 3DS, to take care of that DSi or onward owners. It's the same like HG/SS were made for DS because GBC era doesn't exist for people who started gaming with DS.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    There are rumors saying that DS Lite is already no longer in production. Even if it's still in production, there are lots of "new" people who started their gaming with DSi or onward and they're not going to get older consoles. For those people GBA era doesn't exist. That's why I think remakes should be done for DS family, not 3DS, to take care of that DSi or onward owners. It's the same like HG/SS were made for DS because GBC era doesn't exist for people who started gaming with DS.

That's what I was saying, haha, other than the "what they're made for" part. I'd actually rather them wait if it means them being on the 3DS though(aside from the fact that Hoenn's nature feel could really benefit from it even more); we've already had our DS remake. That's just my opinion though, anything could happen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back