• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, & Emerald Remake Speculation Thread

If Pokemon Ruby & Pokemon Sapphire was remade, would you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 1,204 93.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    That's what I was saying, haha, other than the "what they're made for" part. I'd actually rather them wait if it means them being on the 3DS though(aside from the fact that Hoenn's nature feel could really benefit from it even more); we've already had our DS remake. That's just my opinion though, anything could happen.

Every region's feel would benefit from better graphics, that's not really fair reason to keep waiting. It's highly doubtful they would jump into 3DS with remakes because imo 3DS is reserved for 6 gen and R/S remakes are more likely to be in 5 gen, looking at all those hints in B/W.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Every region's feel would benefit from better graphics, that's not really fair reason to keep waiting. It's highly doubtful they would jump into 3DS with remakes because imo 3DS is reserved for 6 gen and R/S remakes are more likely to be in 5 gen, looking at all those hints in B/W.

I was meaning with Hoenn being the 'nature' region, a real 3D environment would seem more fitting in a remake; wasn't knocking the idea that it could be on the DS.

If it happens to be on the DS though, I REALLY hope they implement some kind of extras for the 3DS though(like the leaves blowing in BW could have used, etc). That would be enough to hold off on til the next/full 3DS gen. At least something as a benefit for being anyone who has one.

Btw, hints have nothing to do with how soon something comes out. All we know is that they will likely come out in the future, no indication on when. An example would be how they had to wait 2 gens(~7 years) to implement the idea of 'seeing pokemon dreams'(even though we didn't know that would come then, they obviously had the idea for quite a while). Once again, I'm not knocking down what you said fully, I'm saying that we have nothing that indicates they will be soon either.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    Btw, hints have nothing to do with how soon something comes out. All we know is that they will likely come out in the future, no indication on when. An example would be how they had to wait 2 gens(~7 years) to implement the idea of 'seeing pokemon dreams'(even though we didn't know that would come then, they obviously had the idea for quite a while). Once again, I'm not knocking down what you said fully, I'm saying that we have nothing that indicates they will be soon either.

True, hints don't indicate when something will happen, but we have to look at other issues. Imo new gen for 3DS should be made as soon as possible, the best in next year because 3DS needs exclusive main games for better selling. That means the need of quicker ending of 5 gen. That's why I see R/S remakes being released in Japan for DS in this year's November and for the rest of world around March 2013. I don't see remakes being 3DS exclusives because of reasons mentioned before.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm hoping that Ruby & Sapphire do get remade because I'll be honest I have my doubts, I'm very optimistic about these remakes but sometimes something tells me that we won't be seeing them, Red & Blue were necessary because let's face it, there was no way to trade over once Gen IV came into the picture and same goes for Gold & Silver, I'm not ruling RS remakes out but there are factors that support and are against it. We do have the rest of 2012 & 2013 which gives plenty of time for them to announce and release them but I'm not going to build my hopes up too high as I'm not 100% certain as is anyone, I just hope that they make the right decision as remakes would be the best Pokémon games out of the lot for me.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    True, hints don't indicate when something will happen, but we have to look at other issues. Imo new gen for 3DS should be made as soon as possible, the best in next year because 3DS needs exclusive main games for better selling. That means the need of quicker ending of 5 gen. That's why I see R/S remakes being released in Japan for DS in this year's November and for the rest of world around March 2013. I don't see remakes being 3DS exclusives because of reasons mentioned before.

I mean it would make sense like that, with them putting out B2 and W2 so early, then getting RSE remakes at the end of the year(Jap based date here, fall and spring respectively elsewhere) for the usual area of release and the anniversary and all; What a year this would be if that occurred. O.O

I don't know what to lean toward now though. I just kind of hoped they would be for the 3DS, but I guess I wouldn't mind them being on the....*tries so hard not to say it* DS. Still find that a scary thought.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    What a year this would be if that occurred. O.O

Maybe that's why Mayans predicted this year to be special one? xD

I'm hoping that Ruby & Sapphire do get remade because I'll be honest I have my doubts, I'm very optimistic about these remakes but sometimes something tells me that we won't be seeing them, Red & Blue were necessary because let's face it, there was no way to trade over once Gen IV came into the picture and same goes for Gold & Silver, I'm not ruling RS remakes out but there are factors that support and are against it.

I don't have doubts about those remakes because of what I posted before about DSi and onward models making GBA games obsolete, making much sense to create and sell DS versions of R/S for everyone who started gaming from DSi or onward.

Btw, there is something imo very important hinting to remakes. I think since gen 3 all new games have music remixed from games planned to be remade:
    R/S have R/B/Y's S.S. Anne remix in Oceanic Museum.
    D/P have G/S/C's ending remix in Canalave City and Lighthouse/Mt. Silver in Gym Leader theme (listen carefully to notice that).

B/W have Hoenn's Elite Four included in Unova's Elite Four theme, but not only that. I compared R/S/E and B/W Gym Leader themes and they are surprisingly similar in composition. They can be divided into identical parts.

1.intro (0.00 – 0.12), 2. main part (0.13 – 0.42), 3. quiet part (0.43 – 0.49), 4. quiet part getting louder (0.50 – 1.06), 5. quieter part again with repetitive sounds (1.07 – 1.16), 6. main part again from 1.17 and looping with quiet parts.

For B/W all parts are the same but with different times.
    1.intro (0.00 – 0.15), 2. main part (0.16 – 1.02), 3. quiet part (1.03 – 1.13), 4. quiet part getting louder (1.13 – 1.24), 5. quieter part again with repetitive sounds (1.24 – 1.29), 6. main part again from 1.30 and looping with quiet parts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I don't have doubts about those remakes because of what I posted before about DSi and onward models making GBA games obsolete, making much sense to create and sell DS versions of R/S for everyone who started gaming from DSi or onward.

Why would they be promoting the DSi though? That makes no sense. Their main focus right now would be to convince fans to buy the 3DS. Proof of this is found in Pokemon AR Searcher. This game is clearly a suggestion from GF and Nintendo that fans need to go ahead and buy a 3DS if they don't have one already. I think this is also a sign that the next main-series Pokemon games will be for the 3DS, not one of the older models.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Why would they be promoting the DSi though? That makes no sense. Their main focus right now would be to convince fans to buy the 3DS. Proof of this is found in Pokemon AR Searcher. This game is clearly a suggestion from GF and Nintendo that fans need to go ahead and buy a 3DS if they don't have one already. I think this is also a sign that the next main-series Pokemon games will be for the 3DS, not one of the older models.

I don't think Gamefreak is responsible for the AR searcher. GameFreak as of now is still centering on the DS series, while all other Nintendo affiliated companies have started switching to 3DS components. So far only one Spin off wasn't 3DS and that was Pokemon Conquest, while the others are on the 3DS, Rumble Blast, AR searcher, and the two Pokedexes.

Nintendo wants to promote 3DS but they won't force a company to halt the production of something they were already working on to switch it to a different system. They are a lot nicer to their development companies than bot Sony and Microsoft are in this regard.

If the Remakes were in production before Gamefreak received the 3DS kit, then there is the chance it will be one of the last titles for the DS with 3DS features similar to how B2W2 will link to the AR Searcher.

Though with Spot Pass, the Remakes would fair a lot better. Seeing as the original Mixing of Records was done in the R/S/E/LG/FR series of games. If they bring back secret bases the same way they were in Emerald, Spot Pass would allow for effortless Record mixing and you could search the world for other trainers that you randomly passed as their records would be added to your game through the Spot pass Feature.

There are other things that could be enhanced through Spot pass as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Though with Spot Pass, the Remakes would fair a lot better. Seeing as the original Mixing of Records was done in the R/S/E/LG/FR series of games. If they bring back secret bases the same way they were in Emerald, Spot Pass would allow for effortless Record mixing and you could search the world for other trainers that you randomly passed as their records would be added to your game through the Spot pass Feature.

I like this, but hopefully unlike the originals, it won't have a limit of how many bases you can have in your game. But then again, it would suck to want to switch bases and have someone you walked past in the spot you want. Hmmm.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014

There are other things that could be enhanced through Spot pass as well.

You mean Street Pass?

Anyways, I do see what you mean there though. Would be interesting to have your game with you while on the go, then get back home and notice that you managed to pick up someone else's base.

It would also be interesting to pick up info about their travels(with how you could see stuff about them on TV). All this record mixing talk makes it even more fun to think about.

One thing they have to up though, along with what Syd said about base limits, is the decoration limit. The original 16 isn't going to cut it if they give more focus on bases this time around.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    You mean Street Pass?

Anyways, I do see what you mean there though. Would be interesting to have your game with you while on the go, then get back home and notice that you managed to pick up someone else's base.

It would also be interesting to pick up info about their travels(with how you could see stuff about them on TV). All this record mixing talk makes it even more fun to think about.

One thing they have to up though, along with what Syd said about base limits, is the decoration limit. The original 16 isn't going to cut it if they give more focus on bases this time around.

Well they were more limited in what they could allow back then too. the 16 could have been because of placing 16 Large items and still being able to enter and get to the laptop to edit your base.

At this point I'm just hoping bases come back.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013

If next main game would be planned for 3DS, I think they would save AR Searcher to make it exclusive to that game just like Pokewalker to HG/SS. But they are releasing it at the same time as B2/W2, saying that you'll be able to trade Pokemon from it to B2/W2, so it's obvious a lot of players will be already convinced to buy 3DS just for that. That doesn't really mean R/S remakes can't be made for DS, because B2/W2 were made for DS even though 3DS is in sale for more than year.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I don't think Gamefreak is responsible for the AR searcher. GameFreak as of now is still centering on the DS series, while all other Nintendo affiliated companies have started switching to 3DS components. So far only one Spin off wasn't 3DS and that was Pokemon Conquest, while the others are on the 3DS, Rumble Blast, AR searcher, and the two Pokedexes.

Nintendo wants to promote 3DS but they won't force a company to halt the production of something they were already working on to switch it to a different system. They are a lot nicer to their development companies than bot Sony and Microsoft are in this regard.

If the Remakes were in production before Gamefreak received the 3DS kit, then there is the chance it will be one of the last titles for the DS with 3DS features similar to how B2W2 will link to the AR Searcher.

Oh, I didn't mean that Nintendo would stop any production already in progress. I just meant that I figure that this is their way of saying "OK guys, the DS is almost done. We've waited and gave you Gen 5 on the DS, but now is the time to move on." Pokemon is eventually going to have to jump to the 3DS, so this is a means to get fans to see the positive side of having one. All I see about B2/W2 care comments like "Why isn't it for the 3DS?", which is then followed by comments like "I'm glad it's on the DS. I'm not planning on buying a 3DS anytime soon."

I figure plans on Gen 6 are already underway, even if they are still in the early stages. You're right about Gamefreak receiving the 3DS kit though. If the remakes really were already in production for a DS release, they aren't going to cancel production. But that's assuming the remakes were actually being produced at the time for the older system.

If next main game would be planned for 3DS, I think they would save AR Searcher to make it exclusive to that game just like Pokewalker to HG/SS. But they are releasing it at the same time as B2/W2, saying that you'll be able to trade Pokemon from it to B2/W2, so it's obvious a lot of players will be already convinced to buy 3DS just for that. That doesn't really mean R/S remakes can't be made for DS, because B2/W2 were made for DS even though 3DS is in sale for more than year.

The fact that the 3DS has been out for so long is exactly why the need to just end the DS. What good will it do them to keep making DS games when the 3DS is here now? Going by the "most people already have a DS" logic, then Nintendo or any other company that produces gaming consoles should never release a new console because everyone already owns the previous one. Mario and Zelda have jumped, Pokemon is sure to follow soon. It's the last big name to not fully move on (if you consider those 3 to be the top 3 Nintendo title.)

---

Here's a question now for you guys that just crossed my mind. Since the main concern for R/S/E remakes is that new fans couldn't play the GBA versions, does this also mean there is a need to remake FireRed and LeafGreen as well?

Going by the logic that everyone needs to play every generation, FR/LG should also be remade. Since the basic formula for Pokemon games has remained the same since the beginning, I believe Pokemon is the only franchise that could get away with remaking remakes. New fans today did not have the chance to play the original Red, Blue and Yellow versions or FR/LG. So, if there is a NEED for R/S/E remakes, why not FR/LG as well?

Thoughts?

(This should still be on topic since I'm only comparing this idea to concerns about the R/S/E remakes and how they are related.)

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    The fact that the 3DS has been out for so long is exactly why the need to just end the DS. What good will it do them to keep making DS games when the 3DS is here now?

Here's a question now for you guys that just crossed my mind. Since the main concern for R/S/E remakes is that new fans couldn't play the GBA versions, does this also mean there is a need to remake FireRed and LeafGreen as well?

Going by the logic that everyone needs to play every generation, FR/LG should also be remade. Since the basic formula for Pokemon games has remained the same since the beginning, I believe Pokemon is the only franchise that could get away with remaking remakes. New fans today did not have the chance to play the original Red, Blue and Yellow versions or FR/LG. So, if there is a NEED for R/S/E remakes, why not FR/LG as well?

Thoughts?

It would be interesting to see the DS beat the Ps2 and become the best selling videogame system of all time(not that far off as of late)...but eh, that's another topic.

Back on topic, with the "re-remaking of gens after a while", it might seem redundant after a while(although I probably wouldn't mind anyways, haha), but in all honesty there would be a good side.

If Pokemon is to be one of the Nintendo Franchises that lasts generations, and without 'overdoing it'(new pokes are always welcome, but not like 200 every couple years), it may be a good idea to have the gens spaced further apart(in general) and the start of 'sequels in the gen'(keeping the current and past pokes but in a sequel to the first set in Gen *fill in number*), if you get what I mean. Woo...getting a little off topic again.

Anyways, I mean that, if it means keeping Pokemon in the run for many years, I'm all for a remake every now and then. Now I'm not saying one gen we should have 5 remakes of the first 5 gens or whatever, but one (even two if spaced away apart) shouldn't really hurt anything; I mean we already have a ton of spin offs and more to come to 'have different experiences', so there should always be something to do, even if you don't feel like doing a remake at whatever time.

^ We all know they'll probably drop them eventually anyways, if it helps.

P.S. One day it's going to be really funny to talk to your kids about the game; 'Omg daddy/mommy, I caught Zqxveria, the #2400 pokemon'...*you* 'Oh the memories, I remember when there were only the original 150.'

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    The fact that the 3DS has been out for so long is exactly why the need to just end the DS. What good will it do them to keep making DS games when the 3DS is here now? Going by the "most people already have a DS" logic, then Nintendo or any other company that produces gaming consoles should never release a new console because everyone already owns the previous one. Mario and Zelda have jumped, Pokemon is sure to follow soon. It's the last big name to not fully move on (if you consider those 3 to be the top 3 Nintendo title.)

Of course they should move to 3DS but imo not with R/S remakes because they would be still 5 gen. Most people thought B2/W2 will be for 3DS because it's new console but it turned out to be for DS for the same generation reason. Look how they are speeding up 5 gen. Japanese B2/W2 in June and outside Japan in Fall making place for R/S remakes in November for their 10th anniversary. I think they want to end 5 gen quickly to move to 3DS in next year.

Also, look at gaps between consoles releases and their first exclusive main Pokemon games:
    G/S got released 1 year after GBC,
    R/S got released 1,5 years after GBA,
    D/P got released almost 2 years after DS.

See? Gaps are rising every console. I wouldn't be surprised if first main game for 3DS would be released more than 2 years after 3DS release.

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    If they are going to release a remake of Ruby/Sapphire, then I'd prefer it if they kept it consistent with the rest of 5th Gen so far and keep it on the DS platform, but also include some 3DS features with it. I think the best time for Pokémon to fully move onto the 3DS platform is when they begin development on 6th Gen.

Plus, I really don't want to have to go out and buy a 3DS yet, but that's me just being selfish.

blue

gucci
    Years
    They could have made Nobungas Ambition for 3DS, they could have made B2W2 for 3DS but they chose not to so whether they will make remakes for the 3DS remains unknown, it would surely increase the popularity of these games but would it make the experience better overall. There are people hoping that it stays on the DS platform and leave Gen 6 to handle the 3DS, at this point it's just a waiting game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2021
    Well this is what I think of it. We all know how Gamefreak start to develop the games years before they are actually released, and if they had started on R/S remakes BEFORE they got the 3DS development kit, then I think its safe to say the remakes will be on the DS. If they started developing the remakes after they got the 3DS kit, it'll probably be on the 3DS.

The fact they are releasing B2W2 in June could mean a similar thing will happen as to what happened in 2004, with two sets of main games being released. How FRLG & Emerald were both released in 2004. They could be doing this so they can get their DS titles out before 2013, since as each new year comes the DS becomes devalued and older.

If the R/S remakes are going to be released anytime from this year to even 2014, they should already be in development since if I remember right, they apparently started developing HG/SS in 2006 and it was released in 2009. I'm sure Gen VI is already well into development too.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Of course they should move to 3DS but imo not with R/S remakes because they would be still 5 gen. Most people thought B2/W2 will be for 3DS because it's new console but it turned out to be for DS for the same generation reason. Look how they are speeding up 5 gen. Japanese B2/W2 in June and outside Japan in Fall making place for R/S remakes in November for their 10th anniversary. I think they want to end 5 gen quickly to move to 3DS in next year.

I'm not saying that the move to the 3DS should start with remakes, I'm saying that R/S/E remakes should come AFTER Gen 6 is introduced. Why should R/S/E remakes be in Gen 5? If they are hoping to end Gen 5 soon, why extend it by adding the remakes to it? I see no reason why we can't wait til Gen 6 for these remakes.

Also, look at gaps between consoles releases and their first exclusive main Pokemon games:
    G/S got released 1 year after GBC,
    R/S got released 1,5 years after GBA,
    D/P got released almost 2 years after DS.

See? Gaps are rising every console. I wouldn't be surprised if first main game for 3DS would be released more than 2 years after 3DS release.

Huge gaps between a game's first appearance on a console and the console's release is a good thing? They should be trying to move their franchises to the new system as soon as they can. And remember, we also had Pokemon XD to fill in the time between Emerald and D/P's release.

To my knowledge (I'll double check when I have more time) all new Pokemon games have been for the current system. Black and White were revealed before the 3DS. However, now that the 3DS is the current console, Black 2 and White 2 in theory should have been on the 3DS, though it's clear why it wasn't. But I see no reason why they should continue making the Pokemon games on the DS now. They can hold the remakes until after Gen 6 is introduced. That truly is the best way to handle R/S/E remakes. Not only will they be justified, but they'll get the benefit of being made for the 3DS specifically.

If they are going to release a remake of Ruby/Sapphire, then I'd prefer it if they kept it consistent with the rest of 5th Gen so far and keep it on the DS platform, but also include some 3DS features with it. I think the best time for Pokémon to fully move onto the 3DS platform is when they begin development on 6th Gen.

Plus, I really don't want to have to go out and buy a 3DS yet, but that's me just being selfish.

That seems to imply keeping with "tradition", though there is no real tradition to be kept. I believe we should see Gen 6 before we see R/S/E remakes. The 3DS would do great things for both.

They could have made Nobungas Ambition for 3DS, they could have made B2W2 for 3DS but they chose not to so whether they will make remakes for the 3DS remains unknown, it would surely increase the popularity of these games but would it make the experience better overall. There are people hoping that it stays on the DS platform and leave Gen 6 to handle the 3DS, at this point it's just a waiting game.

I've found that the main reason people want the remakes on the DS is so they don't have to buy a 3DS. However, I'm sure most people will go buy one when Pokemon makes the jump.

Or the "keep to the tradition" statement. I honestly hope GameFreak is against remakes every generation. That would mean after Hoenn, Sinnoh gets remade, and I personally don't feel like Sinnoh was that long ago. Plus, what about Gen 1 again? New fans won't have been able to experience the original Kanto region, so how will remaking remakes fit into the plan? Clinging to the idea of remakes like that would cause more problems than it would solve I think.

Well this is what I think of it. We all know how Gamefreak start to develop the games years before they are actually released, and if they had started on R/S remakes BEFORE they got the 3DS development kit, then I think its safe to say the remakes will be on the DS. If they started developing the remakes after they got the 3DS kit, it'll probably be on the 3DS.

The fact they are releasing B2W2 in June could mean a similar thing will happen as to what happened in 2004, with two sets of main games being released. How FRLG & Emerald were both released in 2004. They could be doing this so they can get their DS titles out before 2013, since as each new year comes the DS becomes devalued and older.

If the R/S remakes are going to be released anytime from this year to even 2014, they should already be in development since if I remember right, they apparently started developing HG/SS in 2006 and it was released in 2009. I'm sure Gen VI is already well into development too.

Personally, I feel that the remakes won't come this generation, but next. I just doubt that they would stall the end of the DS that much longer. The only evidence even suggesting that the remakes would come this generation right now are the "remake tradition" and supposed in-game hints that can be disputed.

I agree that Gen 6 is probably well on its way. I just think the remakes would be better off coming after Gen 6 and on the 3DS. I find it odd to believe that they would add Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza in HG/SS as non-event Pokemon if they knew R/S/E remakes were coming later. Maybe if they had been event exclusive I could see it (like Lugia and Ho-oh in FR/LG), but since they are encountered normally, it makes me question why they would add them.

Anyway, here's something I saw on Wikipedia:
    "In February 2010, video gaming website Computer and Video Games reported that a select "handful" of Japanese developers were in possession of software development kits for the Nintendo DS successor, with The Pokémon Company given special priority."

Interesting...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back