• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokemon Silver - Help Grinding

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    So I'm someone who came into the games a little on the late side and am making an effort to try and hit each region and just move all my Pokemon up to the most current generation I can.

There are one or two obstacles I have, one of them being completing my Virtual Console copy of Silver. My team is around levels 49-53 and I'm at 15 badges. I think my next stop is to fight Blue.

My only issue is grinding, I think. Like by the time I get to Red, if I'm to have a team roughly equal to his, my team would need to level up to AT LEAST late-70s, a good twenty or so levels to go.

So... where should I go grind? All the wild Pokemon I was around seem to be like level 40-something tops. These last couple trainers, as epic as they are, look like they'll be a drag to prepare for.

Catto

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Years
  • I used to do it at Mt. Silver but it's like you said: the pokémon there only go up to level 43. =O

Despite that, I think defeating red is more a matter of strategy than level. You can bring with you Pokémon with status effect (Sleep and Toxic for example) and tons of revives (put it as holding item)/hyper potions as well.
    Then you want to equip your pokémon with attacks that are super effective against your opponent. Like if you have say, an Ampharos, give it a Fire Punch or a Rock Smash, do not restrict yourself to attacks of the same type of the Pokémon you currently hold. Once you reach Red you just need to remember which Pokémon he sends first. I think it's either Pikachu or Charizard, i'm not sure. So put the first member of your party with rock type moves and you already have an advantage!

Good luck! =)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • beating red is more strategy over levels, honestly. i think if you're at least high 50's-early 60's and have good movesets and you know how you want to go into this fight, then it won't be as hard as people make it out to be. even better if you heal in battle too so you can have some relief haha. but tbh the same can be said for the blue fight too, just going in with the right strategy is key. idk what your team looks like so i can't really say for sure what's best for you.

best place to grind for blue might just be victory road, unfortunately. and then for red, mt. silver's base, but it's already been said, the levels of the wild pokemon there don't really come up high enough to get you much exp. i kind of think this was done on purpose, like they want you to use brain over brawn for the red fight.

feel free to post more details about your team if you want some more specialized help.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    I think I'm good on the specialized help, actually. If there really isn't any place for better exp when grinding, then I guess I know I just need to head in smart like you guys said. Typically I like to try to match the levels of my opponent, but in this case...

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I think rechallenging the E4 is the fastest way to earn EXP, but if you're interested in Shinies, I'd stick to wild battles. I wasn't even trying to grind in spots with the best EXP in my playthrough of VC Gold, opting to stick to areas where Pokémon I was interested in finding Shinies of could appear. It didn't even feel tedious since I was knocking out two birds with one stone.

Years
  • Yeah, if I needed to level at that stage I always just re-fought the E4. Unfortunately not many good options in GS /: But definitely doable to beat Red at level 50-60 if that's where you are, so long as you use the right types etc yeah.

Years
  • Try Tentacruel for Special stat, probably spec defence - surf on the open oceans, geodude/graveller for defence - Victory Road. I think you can find Gyarados at Lake of Rage, I might be wrong - Attack... Diglett and Dugtrio in kanto, I think are good for speed stats. Not too sure about special attack. Worth thinking about though. Gastly/Haunter were good in the first Gen for special stats.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Gen 2 is designed to make you disregard levels. They don't do a good job at showing you, but it's still what they expect you to do. Make sure you have a balanced party, get the best moves you can find and distribute them well, buy potions, revives and XItems. The whole point of XItems is to make up for the level difference and other balancing issues (whether they do it properly or just hide a bigger problem is for you to decide).

If you want to grind: go for the E4. They're the best way to consitently get EXP and money. Their Pokemon also give you a good boost in terms of EV. And just a reminder: EVs worked differently in the first to generations. Every Pokemon gives its base stats as EV for every stat (40 base attack means you get 40 EVs in attack if you beat that Pokemon). That means theoretically you can max out every stat of a Pokemon. You also don't need to bother for DVs as they were fairly neglegible (0-15 Points at level 100).

Years
  • Unless you need the money E4 is a waste of time for grinding. If you're a competitive player do it properly.
    Gen 2 is designed to make you disregard levels. They don't do a good job at showing you, but it's still what they expect you to do. Make sure you have a balanced party, get the best moves you can find and distribute them well, buy potions, revives and XItems. The whole point of XItems is to make up for the level difference and other balancing issues (whether they do it properly or just hide a bigger problem is for you to decide).

If you want to grind: go for the E4. They're the best way to consitently get EXP and money. Their Pokemon also give you a good boost in terms of EV. And just a reminder: EVs worked differently in the first to generations. Every Pokemon gives its base stats as EV for every stat (40 base attack means you get 40 EVs in attack if you beat that Pokemon). That means theoretically you can max out every stat of a Pokemon. You also don't need to bother for DVs as they were fairly neglegible (0-15 Points at level 100).

Back