• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pokemon starters that are bland

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
    Years
    Ok here we go again!

Gen 1
    Long story short none of them are bland ( but you can put squirtle up for debate)
    Gen 2
    Cyndaquil is sooo bland I've made this argument so many times that soon I'm gonna make a thread all about him.
    Totodile and Chikorita are both fine with totodile being a bit better.
    Gen 3
    Treecko is a lizard :D
    Mudkip Is AMAZING
    torchic .Bird
    Gen 4
    WHO CARES
    Gen 5
    All these pokemon are great
    (with debates for snivy I guess)
    Gen 6
    🎶 Ohoh no one likes froakie They only like his stats because all they want it They want Pooweer
    Kill me now 🎶
    Chespin is ok I guess
    and fennekin is pure beauty
    Gen 7
    Ok everyone knows I hate rowlett but I'm getting tired of hating him tbh so I'm gonna say some good things about him :) first of he's cute
    and umm he's popular? he has a face that shows he's seen people die. ok I can't take it anymore Bland Bland so so Bland
    popplio is adorable
    and litten is awesome
    Gen 8
    Other then grookey I love all these guys

so that's all the starters obviously Excluting eevee and pikachu obviously
    so what do you guys think about this? who do you think is plain
    again Opinions No offense to all rowlett fans But rowlett is bland Lol

Tepig num 1

Years
    Starters are all bland to me, they are ALL Grass, Water, Fire. Obviously there is nothing wrong with that, but for people like me who have played every Pokemon game, when a new game comes out and the starters are more or less re-skins with maybe a second type, it's hard to care.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    So I think this is SUPER subjective and depends entirely on what you mean by "bland." This is dependent on each individual's opinion too. ALSO, it depends on if we are counting starters as just the first evolution or the whole line. I think most of us mean the whole line when we say "starters" because how many people do the Ash thing and don't evolve multiple Pokémon in our party(seriously, what's Up with that?).

I personally think all the starters are awesome, and that's part of why they're the starters. However, that being said, here are some I think are a little more boring than others(sorted by region).

Kanto: I think Charmander is not as exciting as he once was. The whole fire breathing dragon thing has been done elsewhere and done better with other pokemon(sorry guys, I am sure this is an unpopular opinion).

Johto: Love em all.

Hoenn: I have always thought the Muskie line was boring. I think it would get a lot less love if his typing didn't give a competitive edge.

Sinnoh: I think the Chinchar line is an imperfect version of the Torchic line and feel Infernape is over-rated(also prob an unpopular opinion).

Unova: Never been crazy about Snivy. I struggle to understand why others seem to like it so much.

Kalos: I think Fennekin is kinda boring all the way around, but it looks nice.

Alola: I think both Litten and Poplio lines are boring, though I'll admit the Popplio line is at least unique with the addition of fairy typing.

Galar: I'm not a fan of the Sobble like from top to bottom.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    The Johto starters are very, VERY plain looking the three of them. From first to third stage they are only getting bigger with very little changes between them and that makes them a bit more boring for starter Pokémon imo

Years
    Kanto starters are quite boring. (I love Bulbasaur and Charizard, though!) Also not overly impressed with the generation 8 starters, they are very underwhelming in my opinion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Over the years I've come to find the Johto starters really bland. I don't even use my starter in those games anymore. I find the Gen 5 starters bland except that I have a soft spot in my heart for Samurott. The newest Gen 8 starters are bland to me as well.

Couples-Consoling

Husband and Wife Nuzlocke Let's Players!
    Years
    How are we defining "bland?" Like, doesn't stick out in the memory? Is just too much like the animal it's based on? I think there's a solid argument to be made that very few starters are "bland," though I have complaints about a LOT of them. Gen 7's starters, for instance, look too much like Sanrio characters for my tastes. But that's not the same as being "bland."

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2020
    My Opinion on blandness:

Gen 1: Honestly, charmander to charizard is the most bland even if you include Mega evolutions. The changes and overall details aren't apparent and the concept of "dragon" was already being used so constantly. After that, I'd put blastoise as the next most bland and venasaur is probably the least bland of them all considering the concept and the details are more apparent due to foliage and stuff.

Gen 2: Blandness wise, I think it would be safe to say that Cyndaquil and Chikorita is the most bland with detailing. They just don't have as much detailing as Totodile, but I find totodile more bland as a general concept or at least less creative. I mean a Porcupine creature with spikes of fire and some green monster with grass(very reminiscent of bulbasaur though). So you could argue over blandness but it depends on the base of the topic being originality/Concept, detailing, or etc.

Gen 3: PERSONALLY, I'd say none of them are so bland, except in concept. Mudkip and Torchik(OG FIGHTING FIRE) are definitely not bland in concept and Sceptile and Mudkip aren't bland in detailing. The mega forms definitely also accent their general appearance as well and doesn't make it any more bland as well.

Gen 4: Ok, so Piplup is the least bland in concept, Chimchar had already been done in another method so definitely bland, and turtwig is just another grass leaf Pokémon that they overdid. The details aren't bland at all though. They definitely have more detailing to their mix and more "parts" than their predecessors at least and that counts. Unfortunately, they didn't have so much originality and their designs probably weren't favorable nor their typings, excluding empoleon but it's overused to some extent.

Gen 5: In concept, honestly, all of them are pretty unique as far as what Pokémon did introduce. Though, some of them less unique and interesting but a bit appealing to some, >glares at Snivy<. But the designs are very much not bland and interesting to their own extents and bland really wouldn't be a way to describe them, if any word should be used.

Gen 6: Alright, so some of these are quite bland in concept, >hard glare towards fennekin and froakie as well as the general idea of "Firefox", "Ninetails, Naruto", And "Frogs summoned by ninjas".[Not that I mean anything by that]<. I'd say chespin's final is actually the most unique by the bunch considering concept and is definitely the least bland since despite being the typical tank looking grass type, he has a different color shade and appearance that is much more different from the typical grass type. Meanwhile, Fennekin's final and froakie's final are far less unique and much more bland as they fade in with the starter bunch typical colors.

Gen 7: Alright, the concepts here can be argued with originality. As far as I'm concerned, Litten is the most original of the bunch>even if I dislike the final form<. In terms of details, popplio has the least bland in final form of the bunch. Their forms and stuff aren't so much noteworthy, though, as they follow the typical color shades to some extent and the entire idea behind two of the designs are quite bland or so to speak. Moving on!

Gen 8: Well, best way to sum this up is... yeah, no... this would be extremely bland. Even more bland than Gen 1 if you compare overall general details between the generations of their times. The designs aren't so unique as far as the typical outlook of how things are to go and grookey is probably the most unique out of the bunch in terms of concept. Then we also have the matter of details being far less noticeable with grookey being at the peak for details... so yeah. Nothing else much to say about that...

And there is my flat out opinion on the blandness levels of the starters. I'd applaud you if you did read this, but I can't actually tell.

Years
    oooo spicy threads i like

gen 1 - lbr charmander's line is way too overused like i get it he's a dragon he's supposed to be really cool and there's been memes about him not being a dragon so gamefreak capitalized on that but have u ever had too much of a good thing? this is the pokemon. it's gotten so good it's now bad and bland.

gen 2 - chikorita is one of the blandest pokemon out there fite me; thiccorita was okay, but even that didn't last because of how bland the pokemon is like okay, ur a thing... with a leaf. and u can only do a number of grass moves. like come on, where's the personality in u?

gen 3 - ooo honestly mudkip's designs were pretty boring. yep youre cute as a starter but after that what are u?? a failure of a monster with an arguably good typing and thats why people still love u. if u didnt have that ud be nothing.

gen 4 - maybe this is because im biased but none of them were bland to me. they were pretty cool and the evolutions are goals. yes, even the grass starter.

gen 5 - as much as i hate the fire starter's designs they're not actually bland. they're unique and they're pretty cool in their own aesthetics.

gen 6 - fennekin. had so much potential but nope- from interesting to not interesting. i haven't played gen 6 though so i can only speak of the aesthetic on this one.

gen 7 - they're all cute lbr cutest starters so far

gen 8 - coolest starters so far if u ignore grookey's evolution; but gotta say now that i'm thinking about it the fire starter is bland af; it's like gamefreak didn't have anymore ideas so they looked at inazuma eleven and a bunny and combined the two

Back