• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon typings that make no sense

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
    Yeah Pineco and Forretress aren't in any way related to plants ( they are bagworms). Funny, I used to think the same thing though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    Gyarados. Because it just DOESN'T F***ING FLY! It's a crime that it's not Water/Dragon.

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
    Well, you kind of have to cut GF some slack. Dragon type in gen 1 was considered rare and too overprowered (Gyarados can be obtained by catching magikarp a common fish pokemon). What's truly a crime is that mega gyarados isn't water/dragon type

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
    Anyway, if it was water/dragon back then, it wouldn't be weak to anything ( since dragon rage did a set amount of damage, therefore can't be supereffective).

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    Anyway, if it was water/dragon back then, it wouldn't be weak to anything ( since dragon rage did a set amount of damage, therefore can't be supereffective).

Yes. I understand why they didn't give it a dragon type back then, but it still sucks :)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Given its a snake, I always thought Snivy's line could have seen a return to a Grass/Poison starter but I'm not that fussed. In the same Gen I far more strongly think that Oshawott's line, at least by the time it becomes Samurott, should be Water/Fighting given its based off one of the most globally famous historical warriors.

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
    Given its a snake, I always thought Snivy's line could have seen a return to a Grass/Poison starter but I'm not that fussed. In the same Gen I far more strongly think that Oshawott's line, at least by the time it becomes Samurott, should be Water/Fighting given its based off one of the most globally famous historical warriors.

I can kind of agree with the oshawott line being water/fighting but Snivy isn't poisonous/venomous. The only poison moves it learns is toxic, gastro acid and coil(status moves).

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
    Years
    I would have to say Mimikyu. It's not the ghost typing, but the fairy typing makes no sense. It should've remained pure Ghost-type in my opinion.

Years
    Yanmega should've been a dragon type. I know dragonflies aren't actual dragons, but neither is the weedy or leafy sea dragon. Despite that,Kingdra and Dragalge are dragons.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I feel like Dhelmise could easily be Water/Steel and no one would complain, lol. I realize the Pokémon is actually the seaweed on the anchor, but still.

The Flabebe line and Comfey should be Fairy/Grass. It's the same situation as Dhelmise but I defer you to my above opinion: okay but still tho.

Lurantis should be Bug/Grass and lastly Milotic should have ANY secondary typing: Ice, Dragon, Psychic, Fairy, Normal.. they all work!

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    1 The Porygon line have no business being Normal-types, since they're hi-tech Pokémon. They should have been Electric-types, which fits their whole virtual theme.

2. Runerigus is not a Rock-type to go along with it's Ghost-typing, despite being based on a runestone, which are about as stony as you can get.

3. Lugia does not have the Water/Flying-type, despite being strongly connected to whirlpools and great big storms.

4. Carnivine's pure Grass-typing leaves it rather weak to the bugs it supposedly feeds on.

CreepyPanther

used rest. It's super effective!
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    You know what doesn't make sense to me. Why isn't Electivire a Electric/Fighting type. It learns some great fighting type moves. A missed opportunity by Game Freak imo.

Last edited:

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
    I feel like Dhelmise could easily be Water/Steel and no one would complain, lol. I realize the Pokémon is actually the seaweed on the anchor, but still.

The Flabebe line and Comfey should be Fairy/Grass. It's the same situation as Dhelmise but I defer you to my above opinion: okay but still tho.

Lurantis should be Bug/Grass and lastly Milotic should have ANY secondary typing: Ice, Dragon, Psychic, Fairy, Normal.. they all work!

Flabebe and Comfey: They are only holding the plants. (That would mean farfecth'd would have to be grass/flying just because it's holding a leek). Anyway, lei can have shells and all sorts on them not just flowers. The flowers aren't part of comfey's body.
    Lurantis: It is not a bug. There is a type of mantis that disguises as a plant. Well Lurantis is doing the same thing except vise-versa. It is a flower pretending to be a bug (Sort of like Sudowoodo).
    Dhelmise and MIlotic (mostly fairy or dragon) I agree with.

Last edited:
    Back