• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon vs. modern weapons

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2009
    How would you handle the durability of Pokemon vs. contemporary military weapons in your fics, from normal M-16s to anti-tank missiles to gigantic bombs?

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • How would you handle the durability of Pokemon vs. contemporary military weapons in your fics, from normal M-16s to anti-tank missiles to gigantic bombs?

That greatly depends on the Pokemon, but for the most part your average Pikachu would be blown to little tiny bits.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Pokemon in my fics take damage realistically: solar beam completely obliterates things, slash leaves cuts, flamethrower burns them to a crisp, etc. In Mastermind, there's energy canons that utterly destroy spaceships, along with the pokemon and/or humans inside. No KO's here.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Unless the Pokémon actually has skin or a body in general that can't easily be damaged (such as metal or rock), they're still flesh and blood. So, I tend to say that a bullet can still hurt like a mother.

And an armor-piercing bullet can hurt like one too.

I mean, it's more effort trying to apply kiddie physics (in that no one ever gets hurt) to weaponry, so I just don't bother and go the logical route.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
  • That's up to you. Yes, I'd say that Pikachu does get blown into bits if you fire an anti-tank missile towards it. However, Pokémon like Gyarados or, say, Legendaries are a bit hazy on this. Mew, for example, could have some sort of protective psychic barrier that prevents it for getting hit by some puny missiles. Gyarados and Pokémon like it could have very hard skin - at least it looks like that. Heck, even Pikachu could have a bit tougher skin that what it looks like, if you explain it well. After all, Pokémon are creatures that are known to have been battling with each other for centuries, so something like very thick skin could possibly have evolved. Then again, you can have them dying over single bullets if you wish.

It's up to you and the way you explain why things are the way they are.

By the way, I wonder if Rock and Steel types have internal organs or are they completely made of their respective material? That would have an effect on this, too, as Steelix could be blown into bits without actually killing the thing. You know, if it's held together by magnetic fields and so on. If it doesn't have any vital internal organs, it should withstand a lot of damage...

Uh, so, anyway. It's up to you. You decide what you think is for the best of the story.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    @ An-Chan: Look at the manga, Brock's Onix is shattered, but is put back together. Koga's Arbok is chopped in half, but regrows it's tail.

On the most part I agree that if Clint Eastwood pull out an MK1 and shoots your poor Mewoth, its dead buddy. But if he shoots Gyarados. Who knows? Does Gyarados have skin, scales, or plates? Look at Biolgy and finf your own answer

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • =D

See, I don't like guns, tanks, missiles, whatever and I have a rather hard time describing them and stuff. So they don't exist. xD Lousy way to get around it, I know. xD

Anyway, if they did, guns'd wound, missiles'l explode anything without hard armour and bombs'll rip everything to shreds. =D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Aside from armored Pokemon like Rhyperior and Metagross, most Pokemon don't stand a chance against modern weaponry. However, if a Pokemon is fast enough, and the weapon is a gun as opposed to something like a tank, they might be able to dislodge the weapon from the attacker's hand before they get a chance to pull the gun out and get it pointed at their their target. Meowth/Persian does this a couple of times in my fic.

But against the most deadly weapon of them all - Chuck Norris' roundhouse kicks - no Pokemon is immune.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Chuck Norris can exist anywhere. Chances are he's probably Ash's dad for all we know.

Anyways. Moderns weaponry in the military has gotten a lot stronger than you think.

If it was an army of Pokemon against an army of 1700s Spanish soldiers, the Pokemon would probably win.

However, today, if you shoot MP40s, Machine Guns, anti-tanks, and grenades towards an army of Fully Evolved Starters...

...then logically, either they die or you die with them.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Ya, but Chuck Norris doesn't exist in Pokemon. xD

Perhaps not, but Cianwood's Gym Leader is named Chuck. And he specializes in Fighting-types, and that can't be mere coincidence. The dude even tosses a boulder above his head.

Back on topic, I can envision Pokemon being used as weapons. Why carry around heavy flamethrowers when a Charmander (or even Sentret) can do that same task. As for bombs... Electrode, Weezing, take your pick. But no Exploding Charizards, please.

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that pokemon are just as destructive, if not more than our weapons. You guys remember Lt. Surge?

Then no need to remind you guys what he did then. I'm pretty sure that a well-trained electrode explosion/self destruct is just as capable as a C4 while voltorbs = grenades. Pin needle or similar attacks can probably measure up to assault rifles, and let's be cautious of horn drill or fissure....Solar beam, hyper beam, flamethrower,....man, they must have had some pretty badass wars, if not totally brutal. I'm pretty sure things were this way, only the corperation and all that whatnotness dumbed it down for kids.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Then no need to remind you guys what he did then. I'm pretty sure that a well-trained electrode explosion/self destruct is just as capable as a C4 while voltorbs = grenades. Pin needle or similar attacks can probably measure up to assault rifles, and let's be cautious of horn drill or fissure....Solar beam, hyper beam, flamethrower,....man, they must have had some pretty badass wars, if not totally brutal. I'm pretty sure things were this way, only the corperation and all that whatnotness dumbed it down for kids.
    Also take into account that the whole premise of Pokemon training is kind of like dog or rooster fighting, and you've got a seriously messed-up world. Could you imagine if real ten year olds were trusted with animals that are more powerful than military weapons and are used for beating on each other until they pass out? Animal-rights activists, gun control freaks, and family values advocates alike would be protesting non-stop.

As for the original question, it really depends on what kind of Pokemon it is. I wouldn't expect a Machamp to be able to block a bullet with its fist like in DBZ or something, but a strong ice-type might be able to use a thick wall of ice to stop a bullet. However, the only ones I can picture being able to stop stuff like missles would be incredibly powerful psychics like Mewtwo and maybe a few overpowered legendaries.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Let's not forget Wobbuffet. And Shedinja. I would totally have a Shedinja if I was fighting the military.

I don't think "Nuclear" is a Pokemon type, thus that would incinerate the physical Pokemon.

The End. Mankind is cruel.

burningfoot

Prepare Yourself!
    Years
  • A standard gun could easily wound or kill practically any starter Pokemon or its evolved forms apart from the Squirtle line and Charizard. But shoot them in the right place and they are going to die. I think most Pokemon could be quite easily killed with a gun that's standard issue in the army apart from Ghost, Rock, Ground and Steel Types. Psychic Types might be a bit difficult with their stopping bullets in mid-air by thinking an' all.

Would a nuclear bomb kill Arceus?

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I think for the most part you have to remember what Pokemon are often bred and trained for, not too mention what they may go through in the wild. Take Scyther (I forget which episode it was) when it wouldn't stop fighting, and endured all that pain, to get its honor back with the pack if I remember correctly. A Pokemon like that, or trained harder then that, may be able to endure a few shots from some of our modern weapons, even to the point where humans may think that the only way to stop them dead in their tracks is a head- or heart-shot. Granted, that's only concerning the Pokemon with flesh. The one's without may be much much harder, especially one's like Bastiodon or Shieldon, who have protective armor on their heads.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I think for the most part you have to remember what Pokemon are often bred and trained for, not too mention what they may go through in the wild. Take Scyther (I forget which episode it was) when it wouldn't stop fighting, and endured all that pain, to get its honor back with the pack if I remember correctly. A Pokemon like that, or trained harder then that, may be able to endure a few shots from some of our modern weapons, even to the point where humans may think that the only way to stop them dead in their tracks is a head- or heart-shot. Granted, that's only concerning the Pokemon with flesh. The one's without may be much much harder, especially one's like Bastiodon or Shieldon, who have protective armor on their heads.

The problem with this, though, is that I think you're looking at stereotypical anime scenes. It's not really anything new to have a character in an anime train or fight to the brink of exhaustion but still get back up and try to keep going out of sheer determination to win. (Ash himself did it a couple of times, if I recall correctly.) So, training alone might not be enough to stop a bullet with your skin and not be affected by it. Unless, of course, you were talking about being able to dodge bullets a la Matrix, which, okay, would be something different (and something Scyther could probably do, considering its reputation for speed).

Back