• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon with disabilities? (handicapped Pokemon)

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    How come they don't exist?

We've never met blind Pokemon, or Pokemon that has lost a limb or what.

I wonder why

If there are handicapped or disabled Pokemon? What would you think?

PinkPirate

Skitty's Girls League Owner
    Years
  • I think that would be interesting, but could also cause for some problems. Perhaps if they had unique moves to make up for the disability. Blind Pokemon would have zero accuracy. Limb-deficient Pokemon would have lowered speed.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Blind Pokemon would have zero accuracy. Limb-deficient Pokemon would have lowered speed.

You sure though? Zubat is blind, yet he can still Leech Life you. :\

It would be unique, and a bit pitiful, to see Pokemon like that in a Pokemon game. Like the Pokemon of war veterans might have scars or injuries. That would make it a bit more realistic, if applied correctly, and not overused.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • But... Zubat are technically blind, aren't they? They don't have eyes. :/ The "see" like bats do... I suppose Woobat are similar, as well.
    ...Bah, I have been ninja'd. xD

I swear there was an episode or two with a Pokemon that was wounded and couldn't walk or something... idk. But you'd be more likely to find something like that happening in PokeSupe rather than the anime or games. A few Pokemon have scars and stuff, sure, but that's about the extent.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • I was always under the impression that Slowpoke and Slowbro were "Slow" if you catch my drift.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Like some others said, Zubat is blind. But it relies on echolocation and its hearing to get around. Deino is also blind, but it gets to know its surroundings by tackling and biting things.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2011
    I guess it's like sparta, the ones that are not good for fighting are thrown off a cliff or something :/

j2y8n2x

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Hmmm...I don't mean Pokemon that are actually blind as a species.

I mean Pokemon that belongs to a species that's supposed to have sight, but somehow a particular Pokemon is blind.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • We catch your drift. But the reason we don't see that is that it's a kid's show, plain and simple. Same reason why gravity is delayed quite a bit sometimes, and Team Rocket can blast off.

-ty-

Don't Ask, Just Tell
    Years
  • Interesting thought. I found it pretty interesting that black trainers were incorporated into the games this generation, all of the latter were light-skinned trainers. There are five different sprites, three of these black trainers were gym leaders or in the elite four. So, maybe next generation we might have a gym leader with physical impairments. I think this must be executed just right so that consumers are not offended. Like, highlighting a blind gym leaders ability to use other senses to out-smart the opponent. I doubt, however, that the games will include gay trainers or trainers of diverse religious backgrounds.

j2y8n2x

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Interesting thought. I found it pretty interesting that black trainers were incorporated into the games this generation, all of the latter were light-skinned trainers. There are five different sprites, three of these black trainers were gym leaders or in the elite four. So, maybe next generation we might have a gym leader with physical impairments. I think this must be executed just right so that consumers are not offended. Like, highlighting a blind gym leaders ability to use other senses to out-smart the opponent. I doubt, however, that the games will include gay trainers or trainers of diverse religious backgrounds.
    a blind psychic trainer might be nice...

Oh! Doesn't Elite4 Will have one blind eye?

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • Interesting thought. I found it pretty interesting that black trainers were incorporated into the games this generation, all of the latter were light-skinned trainers. There are five different sprites, three of these black trainers were gym leaders or in the elite four. So, maybe next generation we might have a gym leader with physical impairments. I think this must be executed just right so that consumers are not offended. Like, highlighting a blind gym leaders ability to use other senses to out-smart the opponent. I doubt, however, that the games will include gay trainers or trainers of diverse religious backgrounds.

I must admit I was troubled when I heard that attract could only be used on Pokemon of the opposite sex. I found that slightly homophobic. It should be working on certain Pokemon of the same gender; so what if your Pokemon is gay? There are gay animals in reality as well.

Some characters in the anime do look homosexual though, like Harley and Arti (in my opinion). I don't think including officially gay characters in a cartoon for kids is weird/wrong as it is commonly accepted now (in most industrialized countries). However, I think Japanese producers are more open-minded to this idea than their American counterparts. Did you know that in Sailor Moon, two sailor scouts (Uranus and Neptune) are officially lesbians in the Japanese anime, but were turned into cousins in the American version? I find that sad to be honest (and no, I'm not gay if you wanted to know :P).

I don't think religion should be included in these games in any way though. First, it could induce useless conflicts between the players and second, the Pokemon characters seem to have their own religion, such as believing the world has been created by legendary Pokemon.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    a blind psychic trainer might be nice...

Oh! Doesn't Elite4 Will have one blind eye?

No, he's not blind. The weirdness of his Gen II sprite made his eyes look different from each other, but official art from Gen IV makes it look like his sight is normal. He's just got a strange mask for some reason.

I must admit I was troubled when I heard that attract could only be used on Pokemon of the opposite sex. I found that slightly homophobic. It should be working on certain Pokemon of the same gender; so what if your Pokemon is gay? There are gay animals in reality as well.
    I think that would be adding too much to the game that the target market (kids) aren't really ready for yet. The concept of love and sexuality doesn't really need to be explored in this particular series. Besides, it'd totally get edited out in most countries anyway, especially the US. Remember how some soccer moms got up in arms over the references to "white magic" in RBY? Yeah...

j2y8n2x

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I always wondered what a blind Jynx or a tone deaf Gallade would be like XD

No, he's not blind. The weirdness of his Gen II sprite made his eyes look different from each other, but official art from Gen IV makes it look like his sight is normal. He's just got a strange mask for some reason.

I think that would be adding too much to the game that the target market (kids) aren't really ready for yet. The concept of love and sexuality doesn't really need to be explored in this particular series. Besides, it'd totally get edited out in most countries anyway, especially the US. Remember how some soccer moms got up in arms over the references to "white magic" in RBY? Yeah...
    If there's homosexuality in Pokemon, the parents will be like... "ROAR!!!!!"
    Get what I mean :p

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • I must admit I was troubled when I heard that attract could only be used on Pokemon of the opposite sex. I found that slightly homophobic. It should be working on certain Pokemon of the same gender; so what if your Pokemon is gay? There are gay animals in reality as well.

I'm not homophobic or anything, but this is not troubling to me at all. First off, homosexuality is still a very controversial subject, and that is something Nintendo would like to avoid. Second It would also make the move attract VERY broken since it would have the ability to immobilize any Pokémon in the game (barring genderless ones). Lastly, adding a code determining whether or not a Pokémon is gay (to prevent attract from beng broken) or not would just be more trouble than it's worth, not to mention controversial.

Aaaand back on topic, there are actually Pokémon in the anime with pseudo-disabilities: both of Duplica's Dittos. The one in Ditto's Mysterious Mansion couldn't transform its eyes (it later learned how to though), and Mini-Dit (which appeared later on in the anime) could not change its size when it transformed.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
  • I can't see any advantages to having handicapped Pokemon in the games, in the anime I guess it makes sense for story (like a blind Pikachu who can sense a wave) but in the game it seems like they would not be able to battle and therefore can't help you on your journey. I understand and would like to see handicapped trainers as they are people too, a trainer in a wheelchair can still battle and so can a deaf trainer but a blind trainer wouldn't be able to see what's going on and therefore can't really battle unless he or she has Daredevil like abilities.

Back