• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X/Y Battle System

Years
  • X/Y Battle System

As shown in the video, there is a new battle system in place like no other. Pokemon look like they physically attack other Pokemon with their moves. The animations look to have been improved and a 3D camera allows for more possibilities in moves and animations.

What are your first impressions of this system and how do you think it will change the experience of Pokemon battles?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    The movement of the Pokemon when moves are used I think is what excites me the most. yeah, they have had their generic "tackle" where the Pokemon moves forward and back, but now we actually get to SEE the Pokemon in full on action, not just some generic animation.

The response of the opposing Pokemon is also nice to see. Again, Black/2 and White/2 gave up a semi response where the Pokemon would "flinch" or be smushed down or shake a little, but now we see the faces, the recoil, the knockdowns, etc. It's an amazing system, and definitely upgraded a hundred-fold.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • It's definitely a step up! The pokemon FINALLY have reactions of being hit! Sort of like in the console pokemon games. :3 I think they're in the right direction of this; making our experiences in battle look as anime-realistic as possible; I suppose that was why I was initially disappointing with Gen V's battle style, where I'd really hope that pokemon had more feeling, but... their personality was just based on their initial movement. D=

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've been waiting for them to do this for some time and they have delivered it well, it makes it much more realistic and I'd like to see how they operate other moves such as Surf.

Years
  • It is interesting how they have finally taken that step into the physical attacking animations. Maybe it is just because they have better hardware to work with now?​

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I think mechanically it will remain a turn-based system, but to finally have such dynamic battles will really make the game more enjoyable, especially for those who battle a lot and spend a lot of time grinding for levels.

I really want to see how they animate missed attacks, and I hope each Pokemon finally has a unique fainting animation!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I don't get how everyone's excited about this battle system even though it's been done before in the console Pokemon games such as PBR.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i am so excited for it(= it'll actually be like you're in the battle with the pokemon. i'm excited to see how each attack is portrayed. i bet the battle times will be longer though!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I don't get how everyone's excited about this battle system even though it's been done before in the console Pokemon games such as PBR.
    Probably because it's the first time it's being done on one of the main titles for a handheld compared to the traditional 2D pixel animation we've been used to since the beginning days of Red/Blue/Green/Yellow.

As for me, this is one feature that has me really excited. It's a refreshing change and a great use of the 3D aspect.

edit: /beat

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    But that's exactly it. It was on consoles, not a handheld. Having a console type system on a handheld is just very exciting.​

Not only that, but not even the consoles were THIS detailed in the battling system. (Maybe BR was idk I never seen), but all the ones before it were never this graphically detailed nor were they so involved.

See, every other battling system feels more like an animated scenario. This actually feels like a Pokemon battle. I love it. <3

~CreamyChoco~

Happy new year to everyone
    Years
  • This is awesome i love it like hell i want to get my hands on that game D: D: D: but i can't :S i do not have a NDS or a 3DS :S [a crying sound]Waaaaaaaawaaaaaaa] >.<

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I didn't even think about the battle system. I was too focused on everything else.
    I love that we get to actually see our Pokemon physically attacking other Pokemon in my hands is very exciting. I can't wait to see the new animations for all the moves.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years

What was already said, plus the fact that the attacks on PBR didn't seem as individualized as what is shown here.

Honestly, I can't wait. So far everything I've seen about this game looks interesting, and the battle system looks interesting in a good way. I mean . . . ugh, I'm getting those new generation jitters. xD

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • What actually interests me right now about the new battle system's look is how Double Battles and Triple Battles will be presented on screen.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    It's gonna look awesome. This is the second time they've done this. First it was in PBR. But now in a main series, wow! :) I can't wait.

Years
  • Kind of reminds me of the Colosseum battle system, but ten times better. This game looks amazing, and its the first time I actually want to choose the fire starter (with the exception of Gen 2/HG).

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I love the look of the new battle system, it seems really dynamic. I think it'll really work to draw you into a battle, to help it be more engaging, especially when you're on a training hit and your Pokémon's sprites start to seem a bit lifeless.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I've just notice that when the foe is attacking, the camera shifts to their POV so that you're looking at your Pokemon head on as the foe attacks. We've had this in spin-offs but never in Main games, that's why it's such a step forward.

Back