• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok'emon XD...... thoughts???

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    So as i type this im playing Gale of Darkness. I only restarted my game for the nostalgia factor, but i find myself getting sucked in. This game is 7 years old but i still find myself having as much fun catching and purifying shadow pok'emon as i did when this game was first released. (just for the record im about to battle Greevil :badsmile:) So im just wondering what you all think. How does this game stack up against collesium? and any of the other, newer, handheld games for that matter?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I played this game for like a month stright I got the promo game cube that came with the game(no memory card so i just left the game cube on. I it is one hell of a game station)

Loved it the art style the "feel" of free roam even though you were kinda walled in. i would like to see more like it come out for the wii.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
    Yeah I remember that on the Game Cube that was soooo cooool the Graphics and features were actually cool. see why can t Pokemon games be like that on Ds or computer.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Going to poke this into the Spinoffs section as XD:GoD is a spinoff game.

Anyways, I liked it; always enjoyed double battles, liked Colosseum a lot and enjoyed additions it had (longer gameplay, more to do afterwards too, extra Miror B, more nice music if sometimes very unfitting). That said it had some cons compared to Colosseum's too imo; for instance despite plotholes I preferred Colosseum's plot, and most certainly preferred its protagonist as well (Michael was just another generic kid protagonist with the inability to change facial expressions often - nothing terribly interesting in that compared to Wes the ex-criminal who begins the game by exploding stuff... and the Game Freak protagonists who are pretty much the same as him there).

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I know how you feel, bro.
    I also finished the game on emulator once but then my old save was deleted so I played it again and had as much fun as in the first play.
    The only thing that was missing in Colosseum/XD was the IV gen mechanics... :/

Years
    I liked XD much more than Coliseum. Better graphics, wider variety of Shadow moves, idk it was an overall good game. The bosses were always mind of ridiculous though lol.

Coliseum was good, but after playing XD I never really touched Coliseum again.

Years
    Haha really?

The only thing I really liked about Colosseum (which I realized I happened to be spelling wrong up to this point lol) was the fact that you could get criticals of Shadow Rush in Hyper Mode, which was unavailable in XD if I remember correctly.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    IMO, it's better than Colosseum. It's got a longer storyline iirc, I haven't played it in so long omg. ): I liked it better because of it's (already mentioned) longer storyline, better post-game, the shadow Pokemon available, being able to catch more than 1 shadow Pokemon from 1 person, Mirror B getting the Pokemon you missed, the harder gameplay and the fact you start off relatively weak compared to Colosseum. The only thing that bothers me about GoD is the beginning of the game, it was quite boring. ):

Pinta77

XD is really good. I really loved it :) However i think colosseum was better. For me, colosseum had more rugged and shady characters. And the protagonist, wes, i think is a lot cooler :P he's an ex-snagem guy, while the protaginist on xd is just another brendan.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Honestly, it's the best spinoff game there is, and comes very close to being the best Pokemon game of them all. Though Wes was more awesome, and the Admins in Colo had more personality and more cunning battle strategies, XD wins out because of its better crafted story and excellent selection of Pokemon. And it's impossible to argue against the awesomeness of a disco-dancing, afro-wearing trainer who is honestly one of the most creative trainers ever developed. And the sort of sinister, dark plot is exactly what the main games need.

Only thing missing was the choice to select a female player character... other than that there's not much I can complain about XD.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I haven't played it but I think that it looks really cool, the idea is really unique (purifying Shadow Pokemon?) and I wish I could play it sometime.

SuperGamecube64

The best console ever
    Years
    I honestly hated the Shadow Pokemon aspect of both Gamecube games, but as a whole they were pretty good games. After completing the main story, my friends and I basically treated the games like Pokemon Stadium - a tool with which to battle in 3D. In fact, we hardly ever battles on our handhelds.

NiGHtsBeta09

Rescuer/Explorer/Trainer
    Years
    I have always enjoyed the Shadow Pokemon series of the games, and find it sad that they haven't made a new one for two whole Generations yet! Why can't there be a new one! I mean, XD001 just screams for an XD002, at least! xD

Anyway, I really think these games did phenomenally, despite initial views on it my the community. In fact, I am just now ending a Let's Play (commentated walkthrough) of Pokemon Colosseum! (BetaNights on Youtube) And ironically, I am playing it as we speak. xD

So yes, I love them and hope for sequels.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
    Years
    XD is great, although it's not much different from Coliseum (morel like an add on in some senses) I really did love it. I like the graphics a lot, very sharp looking for a 2005 game IMO. Also, the musical score is great. I really like Citadark Isle's song and the final battle song.

StanFromWork

Pokemon Colosseum <3
    Years
    • MI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2014
    So as i type this im playing Gale of Darkness. I only restarted my game for the nostalgia factor, but i find myself getting sucked in. This game is 7 years old but i still find myself having as much fun catching and purifying shadow pok'emon as i did when this game was first released. (just for the record im about to battle Greevil :badsmile:) So im just wondering what you all think. How does this game stack up against collesium? and any of the other, newer, handheld games for that matter?
    Personally i prefered colosseum to Gale of Darkness because it was the orignal and was one of the first pokemon games i ever played. Both were really fun though, I wish i still knew where mine were :/

dcjboi

With Quiet Courage
    Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2022
    Personally i prefered colosseum to Gale of Darkness because it was the orignal and was one of the first pokemon games i ever played. Both were really fun though, I wish i still knew where mine were :/

I agree. I lost my copy of colosseum and XD was stolen from me on my second playthrough. But back on topic I liked the original better. XD was good but colosseum seemed more unique and had more depth for me.

Back