• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon XY's Rating (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Ever since Goodra left , Pokemon XY series didn't received more then 3.7 rating.

So apparently what you're saying is people loved Goodra and were utterly pissed that it left the series with such a silly excuse by the writers? But I do also wonder if Pokemon falling outside the Top 10 means kids don't care for it anymore?

Maybe XY might be Ash's last season after all, and the writers will have to do a complete reboot with an entirely new protagonist if they want to get ratings up again.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    So apparently what you're saying is people loved Goodra and were utterly pissed that it left the series with such a silly excuse by the writers? But I do also wonder if Pokemon falling outside the Top 10 means kids don't care for it anymore?

Maybe XY might be Ash's last season after all, and the writers will have to do a complete reboot with an entirely new protagonist if they want to get ratings up again.

If it was simply because kids didn't care anymore, the show would have cancelled the show back in AG (since it actually got ratings comparable to XY right now). I also heard that their refusing to even give Ash a Mega Evolution is also a problem (and giving him a Goodra just to release it just further excabarates the problem), and probably also the various other problems with the prior series bubbling over (like making Ash into a dunce in BW, the various level resets and girl-swapping, not having Ash do well in a league [DP notwithstanding, and even that had Ash basically losing in a deus ex machina manner] plus at least one pointless victory [Battle Frontier]).

And at this rate, they'd probably have to wait a decade before they decide to do a reboot, anyways, or at least half of one (Heroes ended up cancelled back in 2010 due to various problems both before and during the final season, and it took five years for them to actually make a reboot series. Similarly, Land Before Time ended with Wisdom of Friends nearly eight years ago, yet now they're actually resuming development).

Years
  • I also heard that their refusing to even give Ash a Mega Evolution is also a problem (and giving him a Goodra just to release it just further excabarates the problem), and probably also the various other problems with the prior series bubbling over (like making Ash into a dunce in BW, the various level resets and girl-swapping, not having Ash do well in a league [DP notwithstanding, and even that had Ash basically losing in a deus ex machina manner] plus at least one pointless victory [Battle Frontier]).

So you say that Mega Evolution could be a magnet that will drive things back up? I think the reason why they're intentionally not giving Ash access to Mega Evolution is to keep him in constant underdog status, although that can get debated since he seems to wreck Scottie in battle a lot. I also heard Serena's lack of goal for most of the series and the extremely slow pacing of the Showcases in general could also be a factor, some would think her redesign would play a part in the ratings freefall but I think it's mainly the slow pacing of her arc that's more to blame.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    So you say that Mega Evolution could be a magnet that will drive things back up? I think the reason why they're intentionally not giving Ash access to Mega Evolution is to keep him in constant underdog status, although that can get debated since he seems to wreck Scottie in battle a lot. I also heard Serena's lack of goal for most of the series and the extremely slow pacing of the Showcases in general could also be a factor, some would think her redesign would play a part in the ratings freefall but I think it's mainly the slow pacing of her arc that's more to blame.

Yeah, pretty much, especially considering people are still pretty miffed with how Ash was handled in Best Wishes (what an ironic name). And yeah, there were a lot of complaints about Serena as well, especially how she lacked a goal for 40 episodes (even May, the only other girl to explicitly lack a consistent goal at the start, already had a steady goal by that point), not to mention the issue of Amourshipping which is one-sided at best (even though I'm not a believer in Pokeshipper, even I recognize that that has far more chances of happening than Amourshipping does due to how it's handled), the fact that Ash literally seems to be the only reason she's even journeying at all, let alone with Ash (Misty, Dawn, and Iris already had goals of their own to pursue, and of those three, Misty's reason for joining Ash actually WAS justified since Ash wrecked her bike. I think the only cast member who had even less of a reason to do a Pokémon journey at all was May, since she basically hated Pokémon, so what business does she have in even doing Pokémon training at all?). All in all, there are a LOT of things that contributed to the severe decline in Pokémon ratings here and even beforehand starting with AG.

Years
  • I think some of you really exaggerate how much the kids in Japan care about certain things. They don't analyse it the way we do; stuff like Serena not having a goal, Goodra being released, or any of the common complaints of older, western fans aren't going to have much, if any, affect on whether or not an eight year old decides to watch on a certain day. The ratings are declining (not "free falling") because Pokemon in general is losing its popularity - obviously a show that's almost two decades old isn't going to be getting the same ratings it did when it was both new and a massive fad.

Years
  • The ratings are declining (not "free falling") because Pokemon in general is losing its popularity - obviously a show that's almost two decades old isn't going to be getting the same ratings it did when it was both new and a massive fad.

Ah yes the 90's and early 2000 was really when the series was doing its best. I'm starting to think the real decline started when Misty left because everyone like, loved her and didn't like having the cast change.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think some of you really exaggerate how much the kids in Japan care about certain things. They don't analyse it the way we do; stuff like Serena not having a goal, Goodra being released, or any of the common complaints of older, western fans aren't going to have much, if any, affect on whether or not an eight year old decides to watch on a certain day. The ratings are declining (not "free falling") because Pokemon in general is losing its popularity - obviously a show that's almost two decades old isn't going to be getting the same ratings it did when it was both new and a massive fad.

Please don't give me the whole "It's a fad" excuse. The Simpsons was also a fad as well, and is currently in competition with the likes of Family Guy as well (and has clearly been on for about nine years longer than Pokémon has been around, first airing it's half-hour episode in 1989), yet even THAT gets far better ratings than Pokémon does right now despite it being well past the Simpsons fad's lifeline and the competition it gets (not to mention that the Pokémon fad technically ended in Johto yet it still got decent ratings despite that). Not to mention there are plenty of kids Animes that get a lot better ratings than Pokémon does right now, like Detective Conan (whose Anime actually started two years before Pokémon's yet not only is it still creating new episodes, but is actually in the 10s in terms of ratings).

And actually, they are "free falling." 9-7 is a decline. A 3.7 or lower is definitely a free fall.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ah yes the 90's and early 2000 was really when the series was doing its best. I'm starting to think the real decline started when Misty left because everyone like, loved her and didn't like having the cast change.
    Misty leaving didn't have anything to do with the ratings dropping.

Please don't give me the whole "It's a fad" excuse. The Simpsons was also a fad as well, and is currently in competition with the likes of Family Guy as well (and has clearly been on for about nine years longer than Pokémon has been around, first airing it's half-hour episode in 1989), yet even THAT gets far better ratings than Pokémon does right now despite it being well past the Simpsons fad's lifeline and the competition it gets (not to mention that the Pokémon fad technically ended in Johto yet it still got decent ratings despite that). Not to mention there are plenty of kids Animes that get a lot better ratings than Pokémon does right now, like Detective Conan (whose Anime actually started two years before Pokémon's yet not only is it still creating new episodes, but is actually in the 10s in terms of ratings).

And actually, they are "free falling." 9-7 is a decline. A 3.7 or lower is definitely a free fall.
    Look dude, you can vent angrily about how the anime's ratings are dire and it's all because of the writing and whatever else, but that won't make it any more true. Pokemon is not even remotely comparable to The Simpsons (what point are you even trying to make there?) and the ratings it's getting are not nearly as bad as you're making them out to be. Describing them as free falling is a massive exaggeration and trying to make it out to have something to do with Goodra, Serena, or any other writing decision you disagreed with is ridiculous.

I feel like the only reason you're so obsessed with the ratings is so that you can "prove" that the problems you have with the anime are affecting them. It's kind of childish.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Misty leaving didn't have anything to do with the ratings dropping.

Actually, it did, as there were plenty of people who left the franchise specifically because Misty left.

Look dude, you can vent angrily about how the anime's ratings are dire and it's all because of the writing and whatever else, but that won't make it any more true. Pokemon is not even remotely comparable to The Simpsons (what point are you even trying to make there?) and the ratings it's getting are not nearly as bad as you're making them out to be. Describing them as free falling is a massive exaggeration and trying to make it out to have something to do with Goodra, Serena, or any other writing decision you disagreed with is ridiculous.

It's not an exaggeration, actually. When was the last time Pokémon has even gotten a 7, let alone 10-digit ratings? a 7, while not exactly good ratings overall, is at least sufficient enough to survive. A 3, on the other hand, indicates it's actually very close to death. If you really think that a 3.7 or lower even qualifies as "good ratings", you truly don't even grasp what ratings actually are. Poke245 and Famon have both pointed out how a 3.7 is far from even being decent ratings.

And actually, the Simpsons actually ARE comparable to Pokémon. Let's see, both are TV shows that had a huge amount of popularity to the extent they were even the status of fads during the 1990s, both ended up losing a bit of their fad-dom during the 2000s, and both even aired on one of the aspects of the Warner Bros. Channel at one point (And I'd know about the Simpsons' fad status since I grew up during that time period). I think the only difference besides which country it was created in is that the Simpsons, while not as popular as it was in the early stages of its run, is still getting decent enough ratings to continue to exist, while with Pokémon, it's ratings are so bad that it will most likely be cancelled in the near future. Had I been an executive and I saw Pokémon's ratings as they currently are, I'd pull the plug on it.

I feel like the only reason you're so obsessed with the ratings is so that you can "prove" that the problems you have with the anime are affecting them. It's kind of childish.

I have two relatives who work in the advertisement agency, and besides which, I've actually experienced a few shows who were killed off because of bysmal ratings (like the West Wing, Heroes, and that Maureen show, and in the case of Heroes, they killed it off prematurely, ie, before they even had a chance to supply a proper conclusion), and I can cite a few Anime that had that exact fate fall upon them (eg, the Love Hina anime series, which was notorious for going bankrupt on its first season). I just know Pokémon's doing terribly, and sooner sooner or later it will be cancelled. And for the record, a lot of people voiced those complaints mentioned by me, not just myself. And before you claim that those complaints are not representative of the audience, who do you think frequents these boards? People who watch or keep themselves familiar with Pokémon. And BTW, I know a few kids who definitely were Elementary kid-age who want to bring Misty back when I was a Sophomore/Junior at High School, AND I've seen some images of kids cosplaying as Misty, images that actually were taken this year or last year at the earliest (and by kids, I mean he generally accepted definition of those who aren't teenagers yet). The only one who is being childish is you for trying to deny what is pretty obvious, that the show is definitely in danger right now.

Years
  • The main issue if the anime does leave us forever is, how would we get promotion of the games outside of commercials? The anime's usual purpose is advertising stuff from the games and if that gets taken away, the exposure will be far more minimal.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The main issue if the anime does leave us forever is, how would we get promotion of the games outside of commercials? The anime's usual purpose is advertising stuff from the games and if that gets taken away, the exposure will be far more minimal.

The Mario, Zelda, Sonic, and Mega Man games featured something similar with the DiC cartoons, yet when those cartoons inevitably got cancelled, the games weren't affected. If the games didn't get affected with those franchises, the Pokemon games probably won't either.

Still, that is a possibility to consider, especially when it's largely thanks to the movies that certain event Pokemon are published, at least since Pokemon Heroes (even if that was a bit delayed).

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I think some of you really exaggerate how much the kids in Japan care about certain things. They don't analyse it the way we do; stuff like Serena not having a goal, Goodra being released, or any of the common complaints of older, western fans aren't going to have much, if any, affect on whether or not an eight year old decides to watch on a certain day.

Kids may not care about Other people's goal Or Main character being OP But however They does care about Ash losing his better pokemon while sidekick keeping better pokemon then him.
    Kids aren't completely oblivious to everything , There are aspect they care about!

The ratings are declining (not "free falling") because Pokemon in general is losing its popularity - obviously a show that's almost two decades old isn't going to be getting the same ratings it did when it was both new and a massive fad.
    Tell that to Doraemon , Crayon Shin-chan , Detective Conan , One Piece and Sanaz-kun !!!
    They aired long before Pokemon did yet they retain their old rating while Pokemon rating decline with every series!
    Honestly , Its because there's ''Nothing'' to see !
    Ash just collecting Gym-badge so he can lose someone in League! Just like every other series.
    Also , Kids lose interest in Ash's next capture after the release of Goodra since no other Kalo Pokemon is good enough for a Pseudo-legendary.
    Not even Noivern!
    Not mention , The ''Humor'' & ''Group chemistry SUCKS ! Its like Ash traveling with bunch of Lackeys instate of Friend.
    Megevolution & Goodra was the only 2 thing that made XY series different but Writers kicked Goodra out and unwilling to let Ash go anymore near Megevolution.
    Writer made it clear that they won't let Ash Megevolve his Pokemon and win the League.
    If Ash isn't allow to keep the weakest Pseudo-Legendary pokemon then there noway they would let Ash megevolve Pokemon and Wins Major Tournament.
    Its as if Writers set ''Megevolution'' & ''Major Tournament Victory'' for characters that were created by them! Unlike Ash who was created by Takeshi Shodu & his Team.
    The only reason I believe Pokemon Anime to be popular because of Rating ! However Pokemon lose that then there no need for me to believe Pokemon Anime to be popular

If Writers just stubbornly hold on to their predictable Writing rather then move forward with the story then OFF COURSE THE SERIES WILL LOSE POPULARITY!

The main issue if the anime does leave us forever is, how would we get promotion of the games outside of commercials? The anime's usual purpose is advertising stuff from the games and if that gets taken away, the exposure will be far more minimal.

Megaman is popular game but they doesn't need a long running anime for Promotion.
    Even now they are just releasing A 26 episode long Anime series to celebrate the series anniversary.

To be honest , It feel more like The Pokemon game doing the Promotion for the Anime!
    If Pokemon anime was focus on promoting the game then shouldn't Ash already get his Mega-ring.
    Hack , Ash should have got a Mega ring before the beginning of XY series and later he start learning about it for Megevolution promoting.
    Just like PokeSpe is doing now by giving X a Mega-ring before the story begin and he start to seek information about it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Why are people talking about Misty in an XY ratings thread? The XY anime began in 2013, which was over 11 years after Misty left back in 2002.

The kids watching Pokemon today were not even born when Misty was part of the show. Today's audience of the anime is not 25-30 year old adults who were watching 15 years ago for god sakes.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Why are people talking about Misty in an XY ratings thread? The XY anime began in 2013, which was over 11 years after Misty left back in 2002.

The kids watching Pokemon today were not even born when Misty was part of the show. Today's audience of the anime is not 25-30 year old adults who were watching 15 years ago for god sakes.

There are actually a few kids who are fans of Misty despite not even being born when she was on the series, and I know at least one who did petition signing back when I was in high school, around 2006/2007, and that's also not even getting into various kids who obviously are too young to have even seen Kanto when it first aired dressing up as Misty as well. Case in point: http://misty-williams.tumblr.com/post/115718088400/shaarrsmiith-my-absolute-favorite-cosplay-of-the

And anyways, Misty's removal may not have played a direct role in XY's ratings, but it does pile up, sort of like how Heroes ended up cancelled in large part because of the events and poor writing and unresolved threads largely caused by the Writers' Strike of 2007. That's what I'm getting at.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    What do kids dressing up as Misty have anything to do with anything? What does Misty have anything to do with XY? Why the hell are you basing the Pokemon anime over one particular character that's been gone for over 12 years, which is now roughly 70% of the anime's run?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back