• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon XY's Rating (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

• Youkai Watch keeps on winning. I wish XY would end and be the final saga now that its ratings are declining.

I guess this means the only choice is to cancel the series altogether because in areas such as the US low ratings is serious business and is why you hear so many shows over there get cancelled and sometimes only after one or two seasons as a further slap in the face, and confirm XY as not just the final saga for Ash, but the anime as a whole. Next generation can launch a complete reboot with a brand-new protagonist to succeed Ash.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I guess this means the only choice is to cancel the series altogether because in areas such as the US low ratings is serious business and is why you hear so many shows over there get cancelled and sometimes only after one or two seasons as a further slap in the face, and confirm XY as not just the final saga for Ash, but the anime as a whole. Next generation can launch a complete reboot with a brand-new protagonist to succeed Ash.

Yeah. Pretty much the only question now is WHEN they'll cancel it. They can either put their affairs into order and try to wrap as much up as they possibly can, or they can go the same route that Woody's Roundup went in Toy Story 2, how Love Hina's Anime ended, or how Heroes ended (ie, it ended prematurely).

I won't even be surprised if Volcanion doesn't even get a movie because of it. Then again, they'll probably find some other means to distribute it (after all, the first three movies lacked Pokémon that were actually distributable to the games, even Mew wasn't exactly a Pokémon that was able to be distributed via the movie. And the closest we've got to a distribution method via the anime was with Celebi where the player can via mobile phones transfer the GS ball, and even that had zero to do with the films (in fact, ironically, it was one of the films that RUINED that particular distribution method since it was thanks to changing the time Celebi was to appear in Pokémon 4Ever that resulted in the infamous dropping of the GS ball in the Anime). We haven't even gotten an actual transferal of featured film Pokémon until the Jirachi movie (or maybe Pokémon Heroes, since the E-Reader Card for the Eon Ticket to catch the other Latis in each version came from Pokémon Heroes).

Honestly, IF they're going to do a reboot, they'd probably have to wait several years, like Heroes did with Heroes Reborn, or even how Land Before Time took eight years just to make a new movie. If anything, we're more likely going to have next generation be WITHOUT an accompanying Anime, and that's IF there's a new generation.

And please don't give me the whole "The anime was running ten years, so of course it would lose ratings" excuse. As Famon pointed out in various topics including this one, Doraemon and Detective Conan are at least the same age as the Pokémon Anime right now if not even older, yet they still get ratings comparable to at least Johto if not Kanto. If they could pull it off despite being old anime, Pokémon most certainly could as well.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Youkai Watch keeps on winning.

Reasons for Pokemon losing--

---Boring Humor ! Even if a episode has a funny story , It doesn't become as funny as it should be due to animation and Bad Comic timing .

---Unlike Ash , Keita (Yokai Watch) doesn't have any goal , mission or League to win ! So "Yokai watch" can work as a ''Slice of Life'' But people won't enjoy Pokemon as a ''Slice of life" until Ash wins a League.

--- No challenge or Obstacle!

--- Beating Gym-leader is no longer interesting after Ash beaten 46 Gym-leader.

---It haven't occur in Writers/Director's big fat head that Winning a Large Competition is far more challenging and interesting then beating a guy who owns a Gym or "Battle-Facility"

--- Team Rocket using the same Motto animation Over & over ! Their motto use to different in every episode during Original series.

--- Keeping Ash away from Megevolution.

--- Favoring all other character over Ash.

----Nobody likes an Underdog protagonist , People loves the Odd & obstacle that an Underdog Protagonist face and Overcome . There is no point of Ash being an Underdog if he doesn't face any odd & obstacle to overcome.

--- Boring Rival and Referring Character .

---Boring Character interaction where everyone use the Polite term of Speech to talk to one another.

--- Ash haven't faced any challenge or obstacle after DP ! Even Nobita (Doreamon) faces more odd and obstacle then Ash.

Years
  • Honestly, IF they're going to do a reboot, they'd probably have to wait several years, like Heroes did with Heroes Reborn, or even how Land Before Time took eight years just to make a new movie. If anything, we're more likely going to have next generation be WITHOUT an accompanying Anime, and that's IF there's a new generation.

This could be the situation when 7th Gen comes around, having to advertise in a completely new way due to the lack of an accompanying anime saga, so instead we could see tons more anime-based game trailers like what we had with B2/W2 and OR/AS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2016
    I kind of hope they close the current series so that we could get closure on all of the characters that have left. They should at least have them reappear at the end of the series. I'm tired of every character who leaves never to be seen again. Gary Oak hasn't even appeared since the sinnoh region.

Years
  • Famon's point we could likely be getting closure after all, since he's addressed a lot of issues with the decline. Most of these tend to be spamming the same plot ideas over and over again, and it appears we clearly need change.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • As the anime moves forward, I am starting to hope that this is also the last saga unless they have 1 more with the same character similar to Johto. I would upset for them to force so much shipping and stuff and then get Serena to leave. Kalos has been the best saga for me and the group is amazing. However, I do hope there is a final saga or season about Everyone vs Team Rocket in which Rocket Trio become good guys.

I still would love to have a series based off the Manga.

However, I will say I don't think Youkai Watch will last. I tried to watch the anime and it is worst than Pokemon in story progression. I don't think it will be successful in the US and it is just annoying. But I did only watch the first 5 episodes or so, after that, I just couldn't stand it. Even though the opening was pretty catchy.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    http://themattress.tumblr.com/post/124787004574

This might be worth a read, since that post has come up with another theory behind the falling ratings. Apparently this one is blaming the failure of the BW movies, or that the anime is just not that popular compared to previously.

Pretty much, and I've been calling for the anime's end since at least DP, especially when the ratings were always in a decline even in Japan since AG.

And considering that the recent movie underperformed, did worse than last year's movie, we're most likely NOT going to get a Volcanion movie, at least not in theaters. At best, they're probably just going to do a DTV release, if it even gets made anyways. At this rate, the writers may HAVE to get through XY and have Ash win a league so they can end the show while it's still within their power to do so, also tie up loose ends as well. As far as Volcanion, they'll have to come up with some other method to distribute it other than a movie, since it's unlikely its movie will be made. Probably will be the first bonus Pokémon since Celebi to not actually be distributed in a movie owing to its release.

Years
  • And considering that the recent movie underperformed, did worse than last year's movie, we're most likely NOT going to get a Volcanion movie, at least not in theaters. At best, they're probably just going to do a DTV release, if it even gets made anyways. At this rate, the writers may HAVE to get through XY and have Ash win a league so they can end the show while it's still within their power to do so, also tie up loose ends as well. As far as Volcanion, they'll have to come up with some other method to distribute it other than a movie, since it's unlikely its movie will be made. Probably will be the first bonus Pokémon since Celebi to not actually be distributed in a movie owing to its release.

You know how many times people have said the reason why Ash never wins a league is because they claim the series will end if he wins it? Maybe Kalos is looking likely that he might finally win a league so they can wrap up his story for good.

Volcanion getting shafted is also going to be what'll be on the horizon if the movies have been performing so badly. It's the long-awaited first Fire/Water-type Pokemon yet it's not going to get much attention since they won't even bother with a movie for it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You know how many times people have said the reason why Ash never wins a league is because they claim the series will end if he wins it? Maybe Kalos is looking likely that he might finally win a league so they can wrap up his story for good.

Volcanion getting shafted is also going to be what'll be on the horizon if the movies have been performing so badly. It's the long-awaited first Fire/Water-type Pokemon yet it's not going to get much attention since they won't even bother with a movie for it.

Personally, I never really bought that reason since that never stopped Ash from going to Johto after the Orange Islands, nor did it stop him from going to Sinnoh after beating the Battle Frontier. But yeah, I may have to agree with you there. Heck, we don't even have any information about Pokémon Z, yet, and given the rate we're going at, almost breezing through Kalos, we probably won't have a release before Ash fights the league, and if there isn't anything in the game worth expanding the series a bit more, they'll have to beat the Pokémon League in Kalos and fight the Elite 4.

And let's hope with Volcanion, they compensate for its lack of movie debut significantly.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    http://themattress.tumblr.com/post/124787004574

This might be worth a read, since that post has come up with another theory behind the falling ratings. Apparently this one is blaming the failure of the BW movies, or that the anime is just not that popular compared to previously.

I wouldn't say the BW movies "flopped", in the context that person is thinking. Here's the box office totals for the three BW movies: *NOTE: All totals are Japanese domestic; the worldwide totals would raise the totals, but Japan domestically is mostly where it counts coming from a company in Japan.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...=JP&wk=2011W29&id=_fGEKIJOUBANPOKKET01&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...=JP&wk=2012W29&id=_fGEKIJOUBANPOKKET02&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/intl/?page=&wk=2013W36&id=_fGEKIJOUBANPOKKET03

The last one is slightly deceiving as it still ranked in the top 10 movies for Japan in 2013:

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/the-wind-rises-tops-2013-japan-bo

Here's a comparison for some of the other films before:

This is the one for the Diancie movie. Yes it's low, but likely not because the BW movies "failed".

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...=JP&wk=2014W33&id=_fPOCKETMONSTERTHE01&p=.htm

The Hoopa movie just opened and it's at number 3 in Japan:

http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/japan-box-office-hero-opens-on-top-1201545447/

I can get down with the idea that the movies haven't been doing as well as they have in the past because the series is losing interest, which would also correlate with the anime itself losing ratings. But...it's probably not because the BW movies "failed", as it is implied on someone's tumblr.

Except we are getting a 2016 movie. There's a thread on these forums with some details.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=352235

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • We already are getting another movie that will come out in theaters in Japan in 2016. And you can't say the movies flopped, in fact, they have done well in Japan. Not to mention that the last few movies have done better than the Johto ones.

And we will probably get a 20th movie for Kalos in 2017 as the next generation probably will not start till late 2017.

I want the saga to end well yes. I don't mind if this is the last. But you keep making crap facts. When was the last time Yugioh was in the Top 10 for show? Yet they continue to make the anime. When was the last time Naruto was in the Top 10? Yet the continue to make the anime.

The facts that people continue to make about the show not being in the Top 10 is flawed. And you keep mentioning it when it means nothing at all.

The animes and movies may not come to the states, but I think they will be continued in Japan. I do hope the next saga is the last one though, Lucky Number 7. I also want Serena to continue with Ash along with the others.

I will say the 20th movie might be the last one though, not because of the bad ratings, but because it seems fit. I don't think they will stop at 19 movies. 2017 will almost be exactly 20 years since the first pokemon movie came out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    We already are getting another movie that will come out in theaters in Japan in 2016. And you can't say the movies flopped, in fact, they have done well in Japan. Not to mention that the last few movies have done better than the Johto ones.

And we will probably get a 20th movie for Kalos in 2017 as the next generation probably will not start till late 2017.

I want the saga to end well yes. I don't mind if this is the last. But you keep making crap facts. When was the last time Yugioh was in the Top 10 for show? Yet they continue to make the anime. When was the last time Naruto was in the Top 10? Yet the continue to make the anime.

The facts that people continue to make about the show not being in the Top 10 is flawed. And you keep mentioning it when it means nothing at all.

The animes and movies may not come to the states, but I think they will be continued in Japan. I do hope the next saga is the last one though, Lucky Number 7. I also want Serena to continue with Ash along with the others.

I will say the 20th movie might be the last one though, not because of the bad ratings, but because it seems fit. I don't think they will stop at 19 movies. 2017 will almost be exactly 20 years since the first pokemon movie came out.

Dogasu would beg to differ about whether they flopped:

Pokémon the movie XY "The Archdjinn of the Rings, Hoopa" & "Pikachu and the Pokemon Band" debuted at number three on its opening weekend. The film was shown across 365 screens nationwide and was seen by 351,592 people, making 384,115,100 yen (approximately US $3,102,267) over the three day weekend. The ratio of men to women was 71 to 29. The age ranges were as follows: 50.2% elementary school age, 13.8% kindergarten / pre-school, and 23.8% aged 30 or over (I have no idea how they could have possibly gotten this information, by the way). The top spot went to Hero while the number 2 spot went to The Boy and the Beast.

So are these numbers any good? The short answer: no.

Let's take a look at how the other Pokemon movies have done on their opening weekends:

Movie
    Opening Weekend Box Office

2015 "The Archdjinn of the Rings, Hoopa"
    384,115,100 yen (Source) (Saturday / Sunday)

2014 "The Cocoon of Destruction and Diancie"
    393,259,400 yen (Saturday / Sunday)
    559,908,500 yen (Three-day weekend) (Source)
    2013 "The Extreme Speed Genosect and the Awakening of Mewtwo"
    486,293,500 yen (Source) (Saturday / Sunday)

2012 "Kyruem vs. The Sacred Swordsman Keldeo"
    753,760,100 (Source) (Three-day weekend)

2011 "Victini and the Black / White Hero, Zekrom / Reshiram" (both movies combined)
    826,306,800 yen (Three-day weekend)
    2011 "Victini and the Black Hero, Zekrom"
    386,201,950 yen (Source) (Three-day weekend)

2011 "Victini and the White Hero, Reshiram"
    440,104,850 yen (Source) (Three-day weekend)
    2010 "The Master of Illusions, Zoroark"
    629,471,700 yen (Source) (Saturday / Sunday)

Now the fact that we have the two-day figure for some of the movies but only have the three-day figure for others makes comparisons difficult but it should still be clear that the things have not been going great lately. In the past the pattern was fairly simple: each movie would do worse than the movie before it but things would pick back up again whenever we got to the start of a new series. The first Advanced Generation movie did better than the final Pocket Monsters movie, the first Diamond & Pearl movie did better than the final Advanced Generation movie, and the first Best Wishes! movie(s) did better than the final Diamond & Pearl movie.

But that didn't happen when we entered XY. The general assumption was that the first XY movie would do better than the final Best Wishes! movie but, as you can see above, that didn't happen. Last year's movie did worse than its predecessor, and it doesn't seem like this year's movie is going to turn that around.

The thing is, they really, really tried this year. The promotion here in Japan has been nonstop and there's absolutely no way people don't know there was a new Pokemon movie out this weekend. What chance does next year's movie possibly have of doing better than this year's? They've already used ALL LEGENDARIES EVARRR!!!!!1!!1!...what else can they do to top that?

Source: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/index.html

What has been announced (or leaked, rather) is a staff list for the movie. Among the usual credits is something rather shocking: Tomioka Atsuhiro (left) will be writing the script for the movie instead of Sonoda Hideki (right).

Tomioka Atsuhiro Sonoda Hideki

This is important to note because Mr. Sonoda has been the sole person responsible for writing the movies since 2001's Celebi Encounter Through Time. So why change now? My guess is because last year's The Cocoon of Destruction and Diancie didn't do that well at the box office, when all is said and done, and this change in staff is an attempt to shake things up a bit and breathe some new life into the movie franchise. Of course Mr. Yuyama is still directing so there's only so much that Mr. Tomioka will be able to do but we'll hopefully be able to see some signs of his involvement in the movie.

Source: http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/old_news_archive/january_2015.html

And keep in mind: Not even Pokémon Heroes, probably the closest Pokémon has to a major flop before that point, managed to get Mr. Sonoda fired, so it's pretty clear that the Diancie Movie had to be bad enough based on what Dogasu said that even Pokémon Heroes was a success compared to the Diancie movie.

And for the record, XY's movie box office sales and not being in the top ten aren't the only things hurting the series. There's also the bad ratings and the bad merchandising sales. Don't forget, Doraemon and Detective Conan lasted for about as long as Pokémon has, and they've got phenomenal ratings, within the decades, so age has absolutely nothing to do with it.

EDIT: Also, they may have advertised a movie in 2016, but that DOESN'T mean they actually will make it. Don't forget, Heroes advertised a new volume for the next season, only for it to be prematurely cancelled due to horrible ratings. Heck, the Super Mario Bros. movie all but stated in its ending that there would be a sequel, but it never got off the ground specifically because it was a box office disaster.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's too bad that the Hoopa film is flopping at the box office even after such a huge marketing campaign. I watched the last 20 minutes of it and I was less than impressed: The climax itself seemed so reductive, like it was copied from the Darkrai film. It seemed lazy to me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    It's too bad that the Hoopa film is flopping at the box office even after such a huge marketing campaign. I watched the last 20 minutes of it and I was less than impressed: The climax itself seemed so reductive, like it was copied from the Darkrai film. It seemed lazy to me.

So The Movie flopped!
    I predicted that when Goodra got dumped! But I had little hope when I read the Manga Summary.
    Honestly , if the actual TV Series lose popularity then off course the Movie will be flopped.

The Actual TV Series need laughable Humor and actual "Actual Challenge'' ! Also Ash need to lose his limitation.
    Most of XY Gag sucks .
    Seriously , Doesn't any Pokemon script-writer knows the Clemont Gag would be funnier if there was someone to criticize Clemont invention.
    May be, Kid like a scenario Where "Ash & Serena encourage Clemont but refuge to be his Test-Subject" Or "Ash & Others showing doubt and moving 10 feet away whenever Clemont shows his invention".
    Also , There is no challenge !
    Beating Gym-leader is no longer interesting because Ash beaten 46 gymleader ! Same goes with Frontier brain.
    Truth is , Gym-Battle won't be interesting anymore even if Ash face a Gym-leader or Frontier Brain with a freaking Arceus.
    May be , It haven't appear in Tomioka Atsuhiro head that Ash need to achieve far more then beating A guy who own a Gym or Battle Facility ! That winning a Major Competition like the ''League'' is more challenging then conquering a new Battle frontier.
    Imagine , A Tournament ark like ''Battle City'' (Yugioh) where Ash win the whole Tournament and Save the world at the same time.
    Imagine , A Final round of a Tournament where the entire stadium shake when Ash's mega Pokemon clash with his opponent's mega Pokemon.
    Also , Ash need to lose his limitation.
    Even Post-crisis Superman doesn't has as much as limitation as Ash does ! Except Post-crisis Superman deserve his limitation because of Pre-crisis Superman's limitless Power But OLM put limitation on Ash when his ability is already limited.
    Just look at XY ,
    Its Ash's job as the Main Protagonist to promote Megevolution yet Writer create Alan to do that because they think Megevolution is too OP for Ash
    Hack , They kicked out Ash's Goodra even though they are planning to give Clemont Or Serena an extinct Pokemon like Tytrunt.
    What does Director/Writer think ? They would be a ''Fair'' Director/Writer if they put all the limitation on Ash while other characters doesn't has to follow any limit ?
    Here is a best away to hype everyone for the next movie--

--- 10 second PV of Ash activating his Mega Ring to megevolve a unknown/unseen Pokemon.

--- 2nd PV showing Ash staring on A beautiful girl standing on a roof to look at the Moon

Years
  • So The Movie flopped!
    I predicted that when Goodra got dumped! But I had little hope when I read the Manga Summary.

The movie's lackluster gross has nothing to do with Goodra. o_O The film simply wasn't that great judging from the 30 minutes that I watched.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'm hoping that if the ratings are actually declining to a low rate that the writers and producers will actually change up the endless formula to something more original. I do think that the show will not be cancelled in the near future though. I expect to see maybe one to two more gens from it if there are no changes.

Considering the ratings are down despite changing up the formula by not giving Ash a Grass-type starter or all the starters, not to mention actually forcing in a love angle in this, or even giving Ash a Pseudo-Legendary, even temporarily, I strongly doubt that will help the ratings. I'm fully expecting the show to be cancelled in the near future. If Heroes ended up prematurely cancelled due to bad ratings, Pokémon can expect much of the same.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back