• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon's Core Gameplay: To Change or Not to Change

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
If anything, one way to solve fans not satisfied with the main game is to create a Pokemon game up to-par with popular MMO-RPGs(free roaming, over-world fighting, and off-grid travel) X and Y solved the Grid-locked issue while still making it Grid-lock. A variant of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon could help alot. Taking the same elements of PMD(playing as a pokemon, form a team, travel through dungeons and such) and putting it in an MMO environment could impress alot of fans.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Game Freak should keep the core gameplay of the Pokemon games. That makes them fun for me. Though the idea of a Pokemon spin-off with Mega Man Battle Network elements is also pretty cool.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The reason I brought this up is because I've had several arguments with one of my BMGF comrades on Skype, who also has a PC account, about whether or not Pokémon should change the gameplay. He despises the turn-based gameplay because it's boring and doesn't make the Pokémon feel real since he treats his Pokémon as living beings (he's also not very fond of chess either for the same thing), and he believes that it'll hurt the franchise in the long-run.
The problem with this friend's opinion is that it clearly hasn't hurt Pokemon in the long run. I'd say 15+ years is the long run for it, after all. Give the solid sales every single gen, there's no issue with the current gameplay system for the main games, and hence no reason to change that outside of spinoffs.

What is boring for him doesn't make it boring for the millions of people who did buy X&Y at any rate.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 19, 2013
What I really want to see is the storylines change. I feel like pokemon could get a lot more darker and stronger. For example, in Sapphire when Kyogre was released and it started raining everywhere i felt like i was really apart of something epic, which made me fall in love with the game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
What I really want to see is the storylines change. I feel like pokemon could get a lot more darker and stronger. For example, in Sapphire when Kyogre was released and it started raining everywhere i felt like i was really apart of something epic, which made me fall in love with the game.
Cerberus87 would disagree, because Gen 3's story poorly failed geology forever regarding Team Magma and Team Aqua's plan on awakening those legendaries. Also, not every storyline needs to be dark and edgy; just look what happened to Sonic the last time they did that with Shadow and Sonic 06.

Back