• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokepimping: Making weak Pokemon into brutal killers?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2010
    You know, I've given this some thought. I like a lot of Pokemon style-wise whom are more or less pathetic creatures when it comes to battle.

Such as Sentret, Skitty, Pachirisu and Aipom.

I was wondering what strategies you would recommend in order to make Pokemon like these more suitable for battle. Just for the hell of it, to see if one could.

I'm thinking Rest, Sleep Talk and Protect, Baton Pass as well in terms of moves.

Ideas?

coolkidmitch

Ace Trainer
    Years
    I originally started to think "How awesome would it be to have a team of what people consider baby type pokemon and kick butt." The thing is, because of the stats of these little guys, its kind of pointless. OF course they can have brilliant move sets but the second that you are faced with something that can decimate you in one hit (EX: A Jolteon), no matter what you moves you have it doesnt matter. Its speed will not only beat you to the punch, but because of their lowered defense, you have no chance.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong however! It would make my heart melt to think that a magikarp could actually beat a tyranitar :)

aaronburnsyou

Hi, I'm not a pokemon.
    Years
    I'm actually training a Pichu at the moment, but I'm not sure how well it's going to end up. I'm only planning on having it survive the first turn anyway (with the use of Focus Sash). I was able to get one with Charge and Volt Tackle though. I know that it's probably going to fail if I ever bring it into a single battle though.

I do think I've been interested in this concept ever since Pokemon Stadium's Petit Cup, where you could only use the first stage pokemon that were under specific weight measurements, or something like that. I always did really well with Sandshrew and Dratini.

Feathing

Water Gym Master
    Years
    Well... I know is hard, but not impossible. I wouldn't recommend you to train a whole team of "weak" Pokemon. but you could have three or four of them and a pair of stronger Pokemon as a back-up. You could have, as an example:

Furret.
    Minun.
    Aipom.
    Dunsparce.
    Venasuar.
    Lapras/An eeveelution.

It's hard to train them, but I actually won the E4 with a weak Dustox and a weak Minun.
    The key is training them in the stats they're most powerful. Teach them attacks that suits the best characteristic (Attack/Sp. Attack) give them Protein and other stuff for boost their lowest stats. Try to think in a combo battle, not teaching a full offensive moveset, but a more strategic one.
    Of couse, use make of sense. I would love to see my Pachirisu beating a Dragonite, but that's quite impossible. Use the Pachirisu against foes against he has posibilities to win.
    And the last thing, fight with them hard, more than if you had a Venasuar, a Ninetales, etc. Fight, fight and fight, and never lose hope ;)

It's possible!

Last edited:

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years
    You're a bad person, we should treat pokemon with love and care, prevent them from becoming killer machines. LOL, just joking, but i don't like the idea of doing so.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I originally started to think "How awesome would it be to have a team of what people consider baby type pokemon and kick butt." The thing is, because of the stats of these little guys, its kind of pointless. OF course they can have brilliant move sets but the second that you are faced with something that can decimate you in one hit (EX: A Jolteon), no matter what you moves you have it doesnt matter. Its speed will not only beat you to the punch, but because of their lowered defense, you have no chance.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong however! It would make my heart melt to think that a magikarp could actually beat a tyranitar :)

I actually did beat Lance's top Dragonite in Gold with a Magikarp. I kid you not! It was about the sixth time I'd beaten the Elite Four on that game, I was just doing for the money and my lvl 90-ish Feraligatr had wiped its way through them, but when I came up against Lance's final dragon, I got its HP down to a ridiculously low amount, I could barely even see the bar, but then it hit me with a Hyper Beam and Snappy was down. I was then scrolling down my party, and I came across a little lvl. 18 Magikarp that I had been training and forgot to take out of my team before I went into the E4. So, I sent him out.

Your enemy's weak! Get'm, Tartar!

Enemy Dragonite must recharge!

Tartar used Tackle!

Enemy Dragonite has fainted!

Tartar gained a bzillion EXP.

Even though he grew to lvl. 20 then, I didn't evolve him. I had to keep him for the Hall of Fame, because nobody believed that I had beaten the E4 with a Magikarp. :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2010
    Remember, it doesn't matter what level they are. They should just be either first evolution or Pokes who are generally considered weak.

My strategy would be to have all of them equipped with movesets that are annoying and tricky rather than trying to attack all-out. Baton Pass and Rest are essential, as well as Sweet Kiss and Perish Song (although many CPUs and Trainers would switch out). Perhaps a Shuppet with Mean Look and Perish Song? >:3

I mean, a lot of mediocre Normal types can learn so many moves; I still believe that's an opportunity to come up with a nice strategy.

I also like Kecleon a lot, but Color Change is easily exploitable. I would like to know a way to turn the tables and use it to your advantage. Any ideas?

Feathing

Water Gym Master
    Years
    Well, as far I know, Kecleon's ability is a blessing if you are the rival, and a curse if you have to fight with him XD
    Dunsparce can be annoying, as can be Chansey and Clefairy..

Shuppet with Mean Look, Perish Song, Toxic and Shadow Ball or that attack that rest the oponent the same number of HP that the user has of level.. what did it call..??

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2010
    I wouldn't consider Kecleon a top-tier Pokemon, but teaching it Skill Swap has proven to be a blessing. It gives you the edge against the CPU by a ridiculous degree. Along with Return (its best move), and either Shadow Ball, Brick Break or Focus Punch, it's a nice cleaner to bring in late in the battle. It's even good as a nice wall with it's high Special Defense. For a good UU/NU Pokemon, it's one of my favorites.

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
    It's called Pie:

Phanphy@Focus Sash
    Whatever Nature
    No EV's
    --Endeavor
    --IceShard
    --Nothing
    --Nothing

Sure it's gimped by Extremespeed like moves/sandstorm/hail, but it's very fun to use...

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
    It's called Pie:

Phanphy@Focus Sash
    Whatever Nature
    No EV's
    --Endeavor
    --IceShard
    --Nothing
    --Nothing

Sure it's gimped by Extremespeed like moves/sandstorm/hail, but it's very fun to use...

Actually, that's a variation on the FEAR Ratatta.

Lv. 2 Ratatta@ Focus Sash
    Nature unimportant
    EVs unimportant
    -Endeavor
    -Quick Attack
    -?
    -?

Them: Attack
    You: 1 HP, Endeavor (Them: 1 HP)
    Them: Any non-priority attack
    You: Quick Attack

A WINNER IS YOU!

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Any Pokémon who keeps on healing itself or confusing others is a pain in the butt.

I once beat Gary's (Firered) Venasaur once with my Growlith. :D

It happened like Charmegeddon's, but Growlith destroyed Veansaur with a quick attack. :D

Capt. Couch

Wake me... When you need me...
    Years
    Back in the day, the best way to turn a Magikarp into a fierce killer was to increase all of its base stats to the max and then use Splash forty times and use Struggle, provided that you had a good stock of HP-restoring items. You could really drive somebody up the wall that way. Ah, the glory days... :)

But to make a weaker Pokemon like Skitty or Aipom a good fighter, the move Rest is a must; look for TM44. As a general rule of thumb, any Pokemon with a self-healing move like Recover can prove to be a competent fighter (despite the fact that almost every Pokemon that uses Recover has decent enough stats anyway). Other than that, a little bit of EV training to boost the Defense stat is also a good measure to take.

It's completely possible to raise a competent team of what would be considered "lesser-fighting" Pokemon, it just takes a while.

Years
    Weak normal types (Delcatty, Furret etc.) Actually have a pretty good range of moves. Unfortunately, most of their moves are sp.a and they're usually better in atk :/

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2009
    I say that they should make a BEAST evolution for Dunsparce, since he was worthless, haha

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2023
    Well... I know is hard, but not impossible. I wouldn't recommend you to train a whole team of "weak" Pokemon. but you could have three or four of them and a pair of stronger Pokemon as a back-up. You could have, as an example:

Furret.
    Minun.
    Aipom.
    Dunsparce.
    Venasuar.
    Lapras/An eeveelution.

It's hard to train them, but I actually won the E4 with a weak Dustox and a weak Minun.
    The key is training them in the stats they're most powerful. Teach them attacks that suits the best characteristic (Attack/Sp. Attack) give them Protein and other stuff for boost their lowest stats. Try to think in a combo battle, not teaching a full offensive moveset, but a more strategic one.
    Of couse, use make of sense. I would love to see my Pachirisu beating a Dragonite, but that's quite impossible. Use the Pachirisu against foes against he has posibilities to win.
    And the last thing, fight with them hard, more than if you had a Venasuar, a Ninetales, etc. Fight, fight and fight, and never lose hope ;)

It's possible!
    This person is my biggest inspiration for my Minun+Plusle + other poke's that aren't used much against E4.Very nice

Back