• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokerus VS Shiny Pokemon

Which encounter has been more common/easier for you?

• Shiny Pokemon!

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Pokemon with PKRS!

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Even!

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I never encountered any of either!

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

Kavii

forever my furret
Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    After encountering yet another PKRSed Pokemon in my game and STILL NO SHINIES, I've been wondering a couple of things:

Which has been more difficult for you to encounter - PKRSed Pokemon or Shiny Pokemon?

What is the probability of encountering PKRS and Shinies and does this change in each iteration of the game?

My history of PKRS is this:

- My Partner/Lead Pokemon caught Pokerus from a random wild Pokemon encounter fairly early in the game before I reached Goldenrod City in SoulSilver.

- I caught a wild Pokemon with Pokerus in my Pokewalker shortly after that. No, my Pokemon in the Pokewalker did not have PKRS at the time.

- I caught another wild Pokemon with Pokerus in-game by accident. I was catching Pokemon to help complete my Pokedex.

- In the middle of SRing for a Lugia with good IVs and a positive Nature, I get around an hour's worth of SRs where all my caught Lugias all have PKRS.

My history of shinies is this:

- Absolutely none.

I swear there must be something wrong with my game. With all the EV training I do and SRing and catch-catch-catching for certain Pokemon, I would think that I would have encountered a shiny Pokemon by now. Instead, all I've encountered is PKRS. ... And with my Lugia, too, even!

With everyone always talking about their first shiny, I feel kinda left out. LOL Does anyone ever talk about their first encounter with PKRS?

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    In my opinion, PKRS is easier to get. I have gotten it twice already (Once in Pearl and Heartgold). The only shiny I've caught without SR/RNG is a shiny Hoothoot in Heartgold.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I my opinion Pokerus is easier. I've encountered Pokerus like 25 times and only about 15 shiny Pokemon. Also with the GTS Pokerus is easier to get. You only need to get Pokerus once to get all Pokemon with it unlike shiny Pokemon.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Few weeks ago when I was playing Pokemon platinum, one of my Pokemon caught Pokerus. Unfortunately I switched off the game without saving it so it was gone. And then I caught a shiney Cherrim when I switched it on again~ :P But I think it's still easier to encounter Pokerus~~

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    I guess maybe it really all is the luck of the draw, then.

In some other forums and with my friends, they seem to think that Shinies are so much easier to find than Pokerus (actually, if the probability posted in Bulbapedia is right, Shinies ARE easier to find than Pokerus, supposedly) and it just makes me wonder if I'm having some sort of weird luck going on.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • My history with Shinies is this:

One encounter with a Shiny Whismur in Sapphire.

My history with Pokerus is this:

I had no idea this was even a thing, I had no idea whatsoever of the existence of Pokerus until I read this thread and checked it out on Bulbapedia. I own and have played through Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver.

I think Shinies are more common.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I've seen one shiny pokemon and no pokerus.

Gee, for 10 years of Pokemon I have alot to show, don't I?

Years
  • i dont think i ever enountered a pokemon with prks, i have how ever run into a shiny rayquaza or restarting for an hour! XD thats the only one I've ever run into. and what is SRing?

EDIT: my friend did however run into PRKS and gave it to me, so its easier to get prks i believe

Kavii

forever my furret
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2015
    i dont think i ever enountered a pokemon with prks, i have how ever run into a shiny rayquaza or restarting for an hour! XD thats the only one I've ever run into. and what is SRing?

EDIT: my friend did however run into PRKS and gave it to me, so its easier to get prks i believe

SRing = Soft Resetting. :)

And whoa. It seems like everyone's had a bit of a similar experience - encounter one or the other but not much (if any) of both.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • I tend to find more shinies than Pokérus. I have had the misfortune of having Pokérus without knowing it and then noticing the "cured" symbol on the status screen, D'oh!

My shiny history has been:
    Exeggcute - Crystal Version (Two within about an hour of each other)
    Pikachu - Sapphire (it ran away... stupid Safari Zone T_T)
    Machop - FireRed

I have quite a few shinies on Diamond, but they were all acquired through RNG abuse, so I'm not counting them :P.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • What is the probability of encountering PKRS and Shinies and does this change in each iteration of the game?
    Shiny Pokemon is a chance of 1 in 8192, and Pokemon with Pokerus is roughly 1 in 21,000 from vague memory. I think it's consistent no matter the game as well, but given how many people play the game... there will be some people who encounter one way more than the other.

Personally I have encountered a fair number of shiny Pokemon from random luck (7 maybe) and never got Pokerus to my knowledge... ignoring the Pokemon with it from trades. =p

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • PokeRus was traded to me, so I've never really found it on my own. But I've had 6 random encounters with shinies. -shrug- The chance of finding PokeRus is a lot slimmer than shinies though.

MirroRz

You sure?
    Years
  • Pokerus is approximatley 2894127903 times easier, regardless of probabilities, IMO.

Back in the days of Emerald I caught a Shiny Latios with PKRS, though.

kamrald

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2011
    Pokérus disease is highly desirable that the Pokémon that the effects of a very good way.At the level of an entire Pokémon has this rare disease, its statistics will rise higher, then the disease can spread rapidly normal.This on your computer if you keep the Pokémon in your team Pokérus. while bright Pokémon a different color, as meta gross get a shiny silver tone is received Palkia and Dialga receives a red shade of green. Even your starting Pokémon can be brilliant! Shiny Pokémon are also nothing but a different color. But this makes them very valuable.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Somehow I've been infected with Pokerus during playthroughs of both Platinum and Soul Silver. I've run into two shinies (Ponyta and Buneary) in Pearl and two (Meowth and Swinub) in Soul Silver (and also that shiny Seviper used by a Battle Arcade trainer in Platinum) so I guess I have reasonably good luck with both.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...I've found no Pokemon with Pokerus or a shiny. ;___;
    /fml

I feel kinda sad that everyone else here has found one of either. :x I'd say the chance of getting none is highest!

Last edited:
    Back