• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokes with Baton Pass + DEF/SPDEF boosters?

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    Exactly as the title says, I've been trying to no avail to find a single Pokémon that can learn Baton Pass, Bulk Up and Calm Mind (or similar defense and special defense moves.) Are there even any that can learn all three of or at least some of those moves, or have I been searching all in vain?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Espeon and Sylveon get both Baton Pass and Calm Mind, while Blaziken can have Bulk Up and Baton Pass (plus Speed Boost to boot).

Besides Smeargle, Meditite/Medicham gets all three of those moves, though I doubt anything else does.

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    Well, guess I'll be getting a Medicham then! Thanks.

Smeargle sounds like a good idea, except that I'm...not really sure how I'd actually get Baton Pass on it since even if I could find a Pokémon with Baton Pass in the wild and happen to have Smeargle ready, a wild Pokémon probably couldn't actually use a swap-out move like that, having nothing to swap in in its place.

Does sketch work properly in online battles?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Well, guess I'll be getting a Medicham then! Thanks.

Smeargle sounds like a good idea, except that I'm...not really sure how I'd actually get Baton Pass on it since even if I could find a Pokémon with Baton Pass in the wild and happen to have Smeargle ready, a wild Pokémon probably couldn't actually use a swap-out move like that, having nothing to swap in in its place.

Does sketch work properly in online battles?

I don't think Medicham is a good Baton Passer because of its frailty and it relies on all four of its move slots for coverage and hitting everything in sight really hard as its Mega Evolution. Wasting 3/4 of moveslots for setup moves and Baton Pass on a Pokemon as frail as Medicham is just asking for trouble.

Sylveon has the bulk to utilize Baton Pass effectively. Because of Sylveon's low Speed, it can take a hit for its teammate before Baton Passing the boosts. As a bonus, Eevee learns the move naturally:
    -Calm Mind
    -Hyper Voice
    -Substitute
    -Baton Pass
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Pixilate

Soopa Derp Cat

You dank memester you
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    That could work, but I really, really want a Pokémon that can boost both physical and special stats.
    My main idea is to set aside one Pokémon as an honorary "fitness coach" whose entire purpose is to
    take an already-bulky Pokémon and turn it into a slab of pure titanium. Yeah, I realize that's an
    incredibly gimmicky strategy and that even if it "worked" it would come with its own problems, but
    it would still only be 2 Pokémon out of a team of 6.

Fitness Coach: Max HP and SPD Medicham
    Item: Focus Sash
    Move1: Bulk Up
    Move2: Calm Mind
    Move3: Baton Pass
    Move4: ???

1. Get up as many buffs as possible, alternating between Calm Mind and Bulk up, starting with whichever would be the most useful against the Pokémon he's up against.

2. Once I'm down to my focus sash, I Baton Pass out into another Pokémon built specifically to take and use the buffs for as long as possible without having to switch out.

I've got two different ideas on what the recipient could be. Obviously I'd only actually have one on the team at a time.

Fitness Nut A: Max DEF and SPDEF Milotic
    Move1: Recover
    Move2: Refresh
    Move3: Yawn (To force swaps on particularly bothersome Pokémon)
    Move4: Scald

I actually have quite a few reasons for choosing Scald as an offensive move: It can prevent Milotic from being
    frozen, does fair damage, and can burn the target, causing them to do even less damage.

Fitness Nut B: Max HP and DEF Goodra
    Ability: Hydration (to prevent most status effects)
    Move1: Rain Dance (to trigger hydration)
    Move2: Rest
    Move3: Thunder Punch
    Move4: Dragon Pulse

If there are any less frail Pokémon who could more or less fill the "Fitness Coach" job, please tell me.
    As stated before, I'm looking for one that can buff both physical and special stats. If there just isn't any that can really do that, I
    might have to try a Baton Pass Sylveon into another Baton Passer who can buff physical stats, although I'd much rather not devote
    an entire half of my team to one gimmick strategy.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024

Ditto. Have a lead 'mon with only Baton Pass as its move. Once the wild Ditto transforms, switch to Smeargle and Sketch Baton Pass.

Of course, that's just a theory, so I'm not certain if it'll work properly.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    That could work, but I really, really want a Pokémon that can boost both physical and special stats.
    My main idea is to set aside one Pokémon as an honorary "fitness coach" whose entire purpose is to
    take an already-bulky Pokémon and turn it into a slab of pure titanium. Yeah, I realize that's an
    incredibly gimmicky strategy and that even if it "worked" it would come with its own problems, but
    it would still only be 2 Pokémon out of a team of 6.

Fitness Coach: Max HP and SPD Medicham
    Item: Focus Sash
    Move1: Bulk Up
    Move2: Calm Mind
    Move3: Baton Pass
    Move4: ???

1. Get up as many buffs as possible, alternating between Calm Mind and Bulk up, starting with whichever would be the most useful against the Pokémon he's up against.

2. Once I'm down to my focus sash, I Baton Pass out into another Pokémon built specifically to take and use the buffs for as long as possible without having to switch out.

I've got two different ideas on what the recipient could be. Obviously I'd only actually have one on the team at a time.

Fitness Nut A: Max DEF and SPDEF Milotic
    Move1: Recover
    Move2: Refresh
    Move3: Yawn (To force swaps on particularly bothersome Pokémon)
    Move4: Scald

I actually have quite a few reasons for choosing Scald as an offensive move: It can prevent Milotic from being
    frozen, does fair damage, and can burn the target, causing them to do even less damage.

Fitness Nut B: Max HP and DEF Goodra
    Ability: Hydration (to prevent most status effects)
    Move1: Rain Dance (to trigger hydration)
    Move2: Rest
    Move3: Thunder Punch
    Move4: Dragon Pulse

If there are any less frail Pokémon who could more or less fill the "Fitness Coach" job, please tell me.
    As stated before, I'm looking for one that can buff both physical and special stats. If there just isn't any that can really do that, I
    might have to try a Baton Pass Sylveon into another Baton Passer who can buff physical stats, although I'd much rather not devote
    an entire half of my team to one gimmick strategy.

Remember that in Smogon rules, only 1 Pokemon per team can have Baton Pass, so Baton Pass chains are out of the equation.

Also, don't forget that sitting there and getting greedy with stat boosts is begging for a Taunt user to come in and completely ruin your setup. Medicham's general frailty and mediocre Speed don't help in that regard. An untimely critical hit also bypasses defensive boosts completely, so be wary of those, even if they don't happen all the time.

Milotic can't learn Yawn. It does get Dragon Tail, however, which forces a switch on its own.

Hydration Goodra is impractical because Goodra is one of those Pokemon that relies on its wide move pool to hit threats. It's also one of the most effective Assault Vest users, as it's very specially bulky even before taking the Assault Vest boost into account.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
    I like this setup:

Smeargle @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Moody
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Dark Void
    - Substitute
    - Geomancy
    - Baton Pass

Conkeldurr @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Guts
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Thunder Punch
    - Superpower
    - Protect
    - Earthquake

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like this setup:

Smeargle @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Moody
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Dark Void
    - Substitute
    - Geomancy
    - Baton Pass

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Thunder Punch
    - Superpower
    - Protect
    - Earthquake
    I'm not exactly fond of this. Conkeldurr isn't a good recipient of Geomancy as it can't take advantage of the Special Attack boost. 252 HP/252 Spe should be Smeargle's spread in order for it to get off a Baton Pass against things that it can outspeed.

Superpower is counterintuitive for a Baton Pass recipient, as the stat drops will force Conkeldurr to switch out, erasing all the boosts it gained in the process. Not only that, the Baton Pass clause states that Baton Pass can't be used with moves and abilities that increase Speed.

DarkestMidnight

Years
    I'm not exactly fond of this. Conkeldurr isn't a good recipient of Geomancy as it can't take advantage of the Special Attack boost. 252 HP/252 Spe should be Smeargle's spread in order for it to get off a Baton Pass against things that it can outspeed.

Superpower is counterintuitive for a Baton Pass recipient, as the stat drops will force Conkeldurr to switch out, erasing all the boosts it gained in the process. Not only that, the Baton Pass clause states that Baton Pass can't be used with moves and abilities that increase Speed.

True, maybe setting Smeargle with Swords Dance would be more optimal. In place of Superpower, I think Brick Break would be a better option. Sorry about that, my teambuilding work was kinda sloppy there, I didn't put much thought into that.

Also, not really on topic, but I thought of a really good way to boost up Conkeldurr's attack stats to a whole new level.

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Brick Break
    - Thunder Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Bulk Up

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Impish Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Spiky Shield
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Helping Hand
    - Trick Room

So imagine this as a three-turn process in doubles. Smeargle uses Trick Room to make Conkeldurr more likely to move first and Conkeldurr uses Bulk Up. On the second turn, Smeargle uses Will-o-Wisp on Conkeldurr to burn him, increasing its attack stat due to its Guts ability. Conkeldurr uses Bulk Up again on the second turn. On the third turn, Smeargle uses Helping Hand to boost Conkeldurr's stats and Conkeldurr attacks.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    True, maybe setting Smeargle with Swords Dance would be more optimal. In place of Superpower, I think Brick Break would be a better option. Sorry about that, my teambuilding work was kinda sloppy there, I didn't put much thought into that.

Also, not really on topic, but I thought of a really good way to boost up Conkeldurr's attack stats to a whole new level.

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Brick Break
    - Thunder Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Bulk Up

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Own Tempo
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Impish Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Spiky Shield
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Helping Hand
    - Trick Room

So imagine this as a three-turn process in doubles. Smeargle uses Trick Room to make Conkeldurr more likely to move first and Conkeldurr uses Bulk Up. On the second turn, Smeargle uses Will-o-Wisp on Conkeldurr to burn him, increasing its attack stat due to its Guts ability. Conkeldurr uses Bulk Up again on the second turn. On the third turn, Smeargle uses Helping Hand to boost Conkeldurr's stats and Conkeldurr attacks.

Doubles is a fast-paced format, so Baton Passing is out of the equation, mainly because your combo can be disrupted by Taunt, especially coming from those of Prankster users. The Baton Pass clause only applies to Smogon metagames for your reference.

No to Brick Break also. Drain Punch is the reliable STAB on Conkeldurr, as it has the same power as Brick Break, but comes with the side effect of restoring HP. Mach Punch is also a necessity, as Conkeldurr is very slow. Earthquake is redundant with Conkeldurr's Fighting STAB, so it's useless. Thunder Punch is the least useful elemental punch, as its only noteworthy target is Gyarados. If you really must use Conkeldurr in doubles, this is what it should run:
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Ice Punch/Rock Slide
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 20 HP/244 Atk/12 Def/228 SDef/4 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest

Conkeldurr appreciates Assault Vest to fix its mediocre special bulk. It's also plenty strong without Bulk Up.

DarkestMidnight

Years
    Doubles is a fast-paced format, so Baton Passing is out of the equation, mainly because your combo can be disrupted by Taunt, especially coming from those of Prankster users. The Baton Pass clause only applies to Smogon metagames for your reference.

No to Brick Break also. Drain Punch is the reliable STAB on Conkeldurr, as it has the same power as Brick Break, but comes with the side effect of restoring HP. Mach Punch is also a necessity, as Conkeldurr is very slow. Earthquake is redundant with Conkeldurr's Fighting STAB, so it's useless. Thunder Punch is the least useful elemental punch, as its only noteworthy target is Gyarados. If you really must use Conkeldurr in doubles, this is what it should run:
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Ice Punch/Rock Slide
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 20 HP/244 Atk/12 Def/228 SDef/4 Spe
    Item: Assault Vest

Conkeldurr appreciates Assault Vest to fix its mediocre special bulk. It's also plenty strong without Bulk Up.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll try out that moveset in a new team.

Back