• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[poll] Inter-Board Tournament Idea

Serebii

Webmaster of Serebii.net
Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    Battling in actual life requires actual training, actual effort.

Netbattle and RSBot may be close to perfectly programmed (I still dont think they are tho), but they dont have the essence, the heart, the soul of Pok?mon

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • I'll be *very* scared if 0s and 1s and other numbers together will form something with a soul x_X; Oh my it's the Matrix all over again!

The thing is: how hard can it be to hit the rare candy button a billion of times...? Not really. As for EV training, with the exception to physical defense, all of them are pretty easy (can't find anywhere that gives physical defense easy without other stuff).

Perhaps the only addition to battling in real life is to cover up your screen so that your opponent can't look over your gameboy to see what moves you got before the battle even begins. o.O;

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
  • Serebii, you do realize back in GSC days, people who battled in the real tournies probably HAVE sharked up rare candies and the likes for their pokemon, right? The only difference between online battling and IRL battling is how much time you waste catching the right mon with the right DVs, and personally, if games are almost completely up to the luck of the draw and wasting time, I'd just ditch the game for something better.

And mistake it not, Online battlers strategize better than IRL ppl. I would refer you to the German pokemon tourney which 2 Online Netbattlers sweeped (got pictures too, Vineon's site and the official site too), but you prolly would just dismiss the opponents as uber using newbies.

Anyways, signups will start this week, I'll post the threads in teh forums later when I finish defragging this POS computer (lagging like a biotch)

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • NetBattle seems like the obvious choice, since it has better accuracy and features than RSBot.

Mana Lugia has set some good rules, but there also has to be some rules concerning the outcome of battles. There must either be a mediator watching the battle and/or both combattants must provide identical logs of the battle.

I think the tournament is an interesting idea. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Not to mention the utter SLOWNESS of link battles.
    Blissey used Seismic Toss! *animation*
    Snorlax used Substitute! *animation*
    It created a Substitute!
    Blissey restores HP with the leftovers! *animation*
    Snorlax restores HP with the leftovers! *animation*
    The full potential of Pok?mon battling would have most likely never been explored without the bots and NB. And that would have really been a shame considering how much time Game Freak really put into making such an intricate system. Save RBY, they know what they're doing.

Mana Lugia

Advocate for Common Sense
    Years
  • lol, Thanks kairi for stickying the signups! This thread can die if needed...

As well, the logs thing will be further explained when the actual tourney begins, Hellish :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Maybe you should try to see if it works...you've been asking that a lot.

Back