• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poochyena is a cat

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • I actually thought both Poochyena and Mightyena are... hyenas? O_o That's new. I learned something today.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2010
    I actually thought both Poochyena and Mightyena are... hyenas? O_o That's new. I learned something today.

Poochyena is based on a hyena, but suprisingly hyenas are closely related to cats, so you're both right :)

halamence

Horror...
    Years
  • ^Rumor is not true :/
    If it was why wouldn't a Kangaskan egg hatch too Cubone.
    And the Anime doesn't match either.

Anyway I thought Poochyena was a Wolf.

shot571

^^actually ive heard that too. They were going to give kanghaskan a baby evolution but decided not so they gave it that dead skull thing. Something like that which is what caused missingno

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Poochyena is a cat
    :/

Also, Missingno has nothing to do with the Cubone-Kangaskan link. Besides Missingno sometimes evolving into Kangaskan (for other reasons that have been proven), why wouldn't they just link Marowak and Kangaskan and instead choose to move the family for no reason? However:
    ^Rumor is not true :/
    If it was why wouldn't a Kangaskan egg hatch too Cubone.
    And the Anime doesn't match either.
    ...Because they changed their mind by the end of development? Obviously it's not in the final, let alone sequels and seperate media.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • ^^actually ive heard that too. They were going to give kanghaskan a baby evolution but decided not so they gave it that dead skull thing. Something like that which is what caused missingno

Actually, Missingno. is caused by data becoming corrupted due to the Old Man who does the catching tutorial having to temporarily replace the Trainer Name in the game's data. Hence why you have to speak to him to activate Missingno. appearing along Cinnabar's coastline, and why different Trainer Names spawn different Missingno. sprites.

Anyway, on topic, the Legendary Beasts =|= dogs. To me, only Suicune looks like a dog. Entei reminds me of a sabre tooth tiger and Raikou has a panther feel to it. I would like to know what Celebi is based on, though.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Yeah...so, they're like Hyenas, which are more meerkats than pussy cats....

.....Poochyena is still kinda a puppy. Mightyena is definitely a Hyena though

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • ITT: It's true.
    What are some Pokemon whose origins you think are misunderstood?

While we're still on the topic, I'd like to share one of my newest fancies. Though I know most of the stuff already, it's nice to read about it and get the epiphany feeling all over again http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Bronzor_and_Bronzong

I read that thing about Bronzor and Bronzong being based on a myth about a mirror and a bell the other day, it was interesting.

It's weird, you would think that all the pokemon are just made up by the designers, but there seems to be a myth or something behind each one. Like Gyrados, I didn't know until recently that it was based on a myth of a fish that tries to go up a waterfall until it turned into a dragon.

drew6464

Spriter and composer
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 8, 2023
    Cubone is a baby Kangaskan. It's mother died, and the Cubone wears it's mother's skull. It never grows to be a full Kangaskan because of immense depression, low food, and the skull that stops it from growing... it's not just a rumor.

Also, I think Poochyenna is obviously a mixture of a Pooch and a Hyena. Pooch as in young dog. Mightyena is a full-grown hyena.

Last edited:
    Years
  • poochyena and Mightyena are based off hyenas. although jidging by their names and appearance, if you said Poochyena was a dog, you'd be forgiven.to be fair, mightyena's sprite resembles more a wolf than a hyena.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I think it's definitely been summed up that Poocheyena is in fact a pooch and will remain so :D.

Mutt19

Kill confuse ray not golbat
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2010
    Actually, Missingno. is caused by data becoming corrupted due to the Old Man who does the catching tutorial having to temporarily replace the Trainer Name in the game's data. Hence why you have to speak to him to activate Missingno. appearing along Cinnabar's coastline, and why different Trainer Names spawn different Missingno. sprites.

Anyway, on topic, the Legendary Beasts =|= dogs. To me, only Suicune looks like a dog. Entei reminds me of a sabre tooth tiger and Raikou has a panther feel to it. I would like to know what Celebi is based on, though.
    Actually, your completely right about the dog thing, suicune is a dog, entei is a lion, and raiku is a tiger. But celebi, who knows I don't think darkrai is an obvious one either

Years
  • I love that series that Bulbapedia is doing. I've read every one of them.

Anyway, the whole Missing.no-->Kangaskhan thing is because the code in Red/Blue/Yellow is really, really cluttered. If you look game's internal index system, it's all over the place. When a Missing.no evolves, it simply evolves to the next index number, since there are no bookmarks in place to direct it on where to go. Gen. III was the one that cleaned up the game's internal code.

Back