• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Popularity?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Have you ever played games based on how popular they were? What games were they? Did you enjoy them, or did you not? If not, then why didn't you? Me, I've played several. Halo's one of them. Back when I was at high school, people always talked about it, and I didn't want to feel left out. I didn't enjoy it unfortunately, as I wasn't fond of all the futuristic aspects that were in it. d: Another would have to be Call of Duty. This one, however, I ended up enjoying. Didn't like it too much at first, though, but that changed once I started to get better at it (which didn't take too long).

TY

I never played games on popularity, i always played games out of curiosity or i knew i would like the game.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I played minecraft on popularity, never have I seen such a pointless bad game. Terraria is good because the graphics are standable and the game has a much better soundtrack plus the npcs don't have noses that make them look like octopuses. It doesn't help that the guy who made it stole the idea from infiniminer.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Call of Duty and Skyrim are the big ones that come to mind.

Call of Duty I wanted to see what the fuzz was about. It's fun, but not something I saw myself playing for a while.

Skyrim I played because of all the hype around it and with all my friends playing it and talking about it during that I felt left out and ended up buying it. It was awful, broken and boring. :/ Got headaches playing too running around all vast empty areas where NOTHING is happening.

EDIT: Oh yeah Minecraft too. Hated it as well, but I saw the appeal. Literally slept playing it though. :/

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Popularity... I don't think so. The only thing I would try on that basis is WoW but I have a distinct impression that it'll waste more of my time than it's worth to me.

It doesn't help that the guy who made it stole the idea from infiniminer.
    Did Quake also steal from Doom? This is a creative process that develops entire genres, not IP theft. Or, even if it is, why is that bad?

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • Was told to try out Angry Birds by my Brother in Law, found it fun for two minutes then I was done. All you are doing is cataputing birds at Pigs.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I don't play games based on popularity. That's something I take pride in. Every game I play, I play for my own reasons.

Final Fantasy 7: I play because my older brother played it when I was 8 and it sucked me in.

Battlefield: I play because of the realistic war-y feel.

Halo: I played before I knew it was popular.

TY

I don't play games based on popularity. That's something I take pride in. Every game I play, I play for my own reasons.

Final Fantasy 7: I play because my older brother played it when I was 8 and it sucked me in.

Battlefield: I play because of the realistic war-y feel.

Halo: I played before I knew it was popular.

I usually found out about the hype after i played the game for a few weeks, like CoD and FIFA, but most games i never knew that there was a hype about xD

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
  • Yeah, I sadly have to say that Call of Duty is the only game that I played just because it seemed rather popular. I mean, it's fun with family members and all, but it's just plain annoying online. People take those games way too seriously and the people who play them don't seem to friendly..

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Generally, I play games that aren't popular anymore or after the hype has died down. That's why I started Pokemon in Gen 2 and not Gen 1. Also, I avoid PC, Playstation, and XBox games because people say they're more popular than Nintendo's these days. I'm a non-conformist gamer in that sense.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • For the most part, not really. But then again, I used to be a PES guy before realising that nearly all my friends and the rest of the world played Fifa and not the "other" football game, and so switched ships just because of that reason.

Sortiariux

Pokémon Wizard
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    I bought Shin Megami Tensei IV for 2 reasons, I had already purchased Fire Emblem: Awakening so I thought I might as well get the $30 credit, and second because I heard how popular it was. After trying to play Shin Megami Tensei IV I found myself very bored as I wasn't very fond of games with turn-based grining. (Now before you get on my case about this and Pokémon at least has multiplayer compatibility and the creatures are adorable). The game was $50 but with the credit I earned, I only lost $20 overall. Not a bad price to learn my lesson :p

Reactions: T!M

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I played Modern Warfare 2 because of popularity. I loved and hated that game, depending on what was happening. I grew to play more Call of Duty games, but I think Black Ops 2 will be my last (to me, it was quite bad...).

Nakala Pri

Nah, it's my undying habit to buy unpopular games, like Gates to Infinity and ugh... *shudders* Lara Croft, Tomb Raider for the DS. It was horribuu, the whole business... xD

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • Let's see...Warcraft 3, then transitioned to StarCraft II mainly because the high-profile players transitioned as well.

And there's Skyrim......mainly to find out why people get this game just to..........well, best for me not to talk about that part. But for my part, mainly to experience the gameplay.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I don't PLAY games based on popularity, but I do TRY them because how else are you going to find out about them? Two games (other than Call of Duty or Halo) that I've heard people blabber on about in the past is the Borderlands series and the Assassin's Creed series. Don't get me wrong, both are beautiful, amazing games but they just are not my type of games. I'm not a big fan of action/adventure platformers, which is exactly what Assassin's Creed is. I do like the adventure aspect, just mixed with FPS or RPG instead. Borderlands has RPG elements, but it's not a full blown RPG and the shooting is more action/arcade oriented than tactical or realistic. I do like FPS games, just different kinds like war in Call of Duty or horror in Doom 3. I'm more of an RPG, RTS, simulation type of guy. I just love the customization and control over games in those genres. It's funny some people mentioned Minecraft because that's a really popular game that I didn't realize was popular, but I LOVED it. I was watching a YouTube video of another game and a gameplay video of it was in the list of similar videos so I clicked on it and was like what is this awesomeness. Everyone has different interests and Minecraft was right up my alley.

Years
  • Yep, most games I get are because friends are getting them, or they rave a lot about them.

Minecraft - I actually love. A few friends it was fun, I tried it out, and while I didn't understand it at first, I quickly got the hang of it.

Call of Duty - This was actually around the time World at War came out. My brother had it and told me to get CoD, so I got Call of Duty... 4: Modern Warfare. Wrong game xD. I fell in love with that too, though, so I got World at War, and played a TON of Modern Warfare 2 with friends. Since then, though, CoD's kinda lost its lustre for me...

World of Warcraft - Oh boy. The reason I bought a laptop, was to play WoW with friends and Skype with them. I do not regret it, as it's probably one of, if not, the most fun games I've played.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    It plays a small role in picking the game, but it's usually out of curiosity. Sometimes it actually plays a big role, it depends. Minecraft was a great disappointment. The pocket edition was okay, I guess, just something to pass the time but the fact that some people play it seriously amazes me. I like pixels, but Minecraft gives me a headache. Another example which wasn't so bad was The Sims series and basically much more. I'm also interested in Skyrim but I have yet to try it.

Back