• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Preferences

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    What types of Roleplays do you all personally enjoy the most and why? For the lurkers that hang around here with nothing to do, are there any Roleplays you wish to see here? Now, I am confident this sort of question was asked before, but I feel people's tastes can easily change over time and I like to think this is still relevant.

Years
  • Honestly I'm not even sure anymore. For a while when I first joined the forum, I really enjoyed Pokemon RPs, especially the mystery dungeon kinds where your characters were the pokemon. Since then, I've found less and less interest in those kinds of RPs to the point where I flat out refuse to join a journey RP, and Pokemon RPs have to have some really interesting concept to them to make me join. Which is really strange considering the name of this forum...

I've really enjoyed the few fantasy RPs I've seen pop up every now and then, I just really wish that they lasted longer.

As for what I would like to see, I really haven't a clue, for me I get really interested and invested in an RP when it comes across as an extremely new concept or something I hadn't seen done before, so I guess I would just like to see something new and interesting.

Sweet Dreams

[I]are made of these~[/I]
    Years
  • I really like my original fantasy worlds. I cannot even begin to describe how I feel about in-depth worldbuilding and getting to explore that. But I also really prefer linear RPs with defined goals and unavoidable character interaction, preferably something involving them working together to overcome something else.

The number of RPs that tick all those boxes is unsuprisingly limited, especially given the current trend of sandbox RPs and such, inspired I assume by the current trend of sandbox in video games (which I also tend to end up not enjoying as much). But honestly, I've RPed in and enjoyed a really wide variety of genres and such, since anything with an interesting premise will draw my attention. Although, back in the day, I had a weakness for the then-common "your character is one of the chosen ones and has powers/legendaries/whatever and needs to save the world!" type of RP. It's such a cheesy and cliche kinda RP, and yet I always had so much fun. xP

But aside from all that, I prefer RPs where my character is forced to confront and react to situations and people outside of my control rather than have to work in stories or events or npcs myself. That's honestly when I have the most fun RPing. ^^

Years
  • I've come to really like the more original or unique RPs that are quite different from the typical sort of things you see show up here. I'm also fond of darker stories and grittier worlds as a general rule although fluffy stuff like Titans can also be fun sometimes. I definitely prefer it when RPs have a slower pace and encourage a lot of JPing also. I guess a lot of my preferences can be seen quite obviously just by looking at the RPs I've created myself lol.

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    I wish there were more stories that explore common conventions from unorthodox angles and world-building is done through deconstruction as opposed to traditional methods. I don't know, something about the idea of taking cliched tropes and just viciously tearing them apart to understand the how or why is really fun. I mean, I feel it would give players the ability to utilize their own interpretations of something we're all familiar with and convey them through their characters' decisions in order to shape the narrative. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that so many Pokemon RPs focus on emulating the source material, occasionally adding in gimmicks for appeal, rather than thoroughly deconstructing its principles.

I also like RPs with "unavoidable character interaction", like in a setting where everyone works at a retail store so they have to cooperate regardless. I never realized that choosing to interact with another character just to make a scene can feel so awkward and forced. Like, it's practically no different from having to make small-talk with a random stranger on the streets. Or maybe I'm still too inept as a writer to handle those sort of things.

Back