• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Primal Reversion Discussion & Speculation Thread

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Ah, so something like a more extreme version of Solid Rock but that works on only Water then?
    Essentially, yes! I think that would be fair, but who knows what will happen, honestly? They could go any which way with these new forms of theirs, and if they don't change types I would see no reason for such an Ability...
    Unless they gain like, special "Aura" abilities, that boost certain Types but also weaken others? So kind of like weather but different? This is all pure speculation on my part but the options are truly limitless at this point.

I certainly don't recall it being necessary for legendary Pokemon to be equal in terms of advantages against each other. In real life, water is more prominent than land on Earth, and many other things about it that make water extremely important, like it making up most of the human body. Personally don't see why Groudon has to have some equalizing factor to make it stand a chance against Kyogre.

It's not a necessity by any means, but even if one legendary has an advantage over the other in a set, it's not by too much. Making Groudon Ground/Fire would make it severely outmatched by Kyogre, and while I can understand the reasoning of Kyogre having an advantage, too much of an advantage is just unfair in my opinion. This is Pokémon, not real life, so they can make some exceptions for things, including giving the land Pokémon a bit of a leg up against the ocean Pokémon.

Years
  • Groudon wouldn't be too powerful, per say, but I don't think too many people would be pleased if a Pokemon representing land having the ability Water Absorb - which is why I said it would be terrible for Nintendo if they did, in fact, give Groudon such an ability.

But in those cinematic battles that they show between the two legendaries, abilities and super-effective moves don't have any relevance. It doesn't matter whether or not Groudon has Water Absorb, they're both equally powerful beasts. In competitive battling, it's a whole different story. Logically, one wouldn't use Groudon against a Kyogre.

I get that, but, as I said, they're not actually facing off in battles that factor in type advantage. In retrospect, it would make sense if Groudon got some little boost that diminished Kyogre's obvious benefit in the match-up between the two. It could be giving Kyogre a dual-Ice typing, which would make Fire type moves hit for neutral damage.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Groudon wouldn't be too powerful, per say, but I don't think too many people would be pleased if a Pokemon representing land having the ability Water Absorb - which is why I said it would be terrible for Nintendo if they did, in fact, give Groudon such an ability.

But in those cinematic battles that they show between the two legendaries, abilities and super-effective moves don't have any relevance. It doesn't matter whether or not Groudon has Water Absorb, they're both equally powerful beasts. In competitive battling, it's a whole different story. Logically, one wouldn't use Groudon against a Kyogre.

I get that, but, as I said, they're not actually facing off in battles that factor in type advantage. In retrospect, it would make sense if Groudon got some little boost that diminished Kyogre's obvious benefit in the match-up between the two. It could be giving Kyogre a dual-Ice typing, which would make Fire type moves hit for neutral damage.

Maybe they'll boost Groudon's Special attack so that it'll be better able to take advantage of moves like Eruption, Fire Blast, and Solar beam.

Years

Well, like I said, it wouldn't be Water Absorb. It would not make Groudon immune to Water, it would just remove its quadruple weakness to it, and perhaps have an additional effect.

I actually thought of an Aura, like someone else suggested, but defensive instead of offensive. It could be something like "Evaporating Aura: Damage from Water attacks is reduced in half."

I think it would fit, since Groudon had the power to slowly evaporate the oceans with Drought. The Ancient forme could be so powerful that it almost instantly evaporates any water around it. The vapor could even have some effect, like healing status problems of teammates or clearing Groudon's stat reductions. Groudon would still take damage, just not the full blast.

Changing Kyogre's typing would work just as well. It could also be made Electric so that both Pokémon have a super-effective attack against the other.

Years
  • Interesting concept. Maybe they create new moves to support Groudon and Kyogre's new forms, with a theme surrounding prehistoric times. When the legendary reverts back to its original form, it would probably retain the move, though. Not sure how that would work, but interesting nonetheless. What I think will really interesting is how many other Pokemon receive devolutions, if any.

Years
  • Interesting concept. Maybe they create new moves to support Groudon and Kyogre's new forms, with a theme surrounding prehistoric times. When the legendary reverts back to its original form, it would probably retain the move, though. Not sure how that would work, but interesting nonetheless. What I think will really interesting is how many other Pokemon receive devolutions, if any.

Technically their original forms are these two, and it's RSE forms are it's weaker evolved forms (evolved in a more real life sense rather than Metamorphosis), sort of like Origin forme Giratina is Giratina's original form (for now at least...).

Other than Rayquaza we may see the fossils get them. They could ditch the rock type maybe and get something else. Armaldo could get Bug/Water, Cradlily could get Grass/Water or keep Rock/Grass, Rampardos will keep it's Rock type as most like it was a rock type originally, Archeops could get Dragon/Flying, Kabutops could be Water/Bug, Carracosta could keep it's Water/ Rock type or become Water/Steel, Omastar could stay Rock/Water, Tyrantrum could become pure Dragon, and Aurorus pure Ice. Genosect could become pure bug, and Relicanth could keep it's normal type.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Primal Reversion! [Speculation Thread]

So as shown in the recent Corocoro leaks, Kyogre and Groudon receive a "Mega Evolution"-esque process known as Ancient Devolution. Apparently not much is known about this new "mechanic" other than this is used by Kyogre and Groudon to like tap to its primeval roots.

Well, at this time only Kyogre and Groudon are capable of this regression.

Do you think there will be more Pokemon subject to this primal regression? Do you think this is a new mechanic introduced in the games that is completely different from Mega Evolution? Is Ancient Devolution just some sort of weird fancy name for Mega Evolution for Kyogre and Groudon and nothing else?

Discuss!

Note: This thread is for speculating Ancient Devolutions and not for Kyogre and Groudon. As much as possible speculate them in the other thread.

EDIT: Updated the thread with the new name for the mechanic.

Last edited:

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • I'm actually interested in Ancient Devolution because not only does it not really make sense from a biological standpoint and I'm interested to see how Game Freak justifies it, but also I'm interested in how it affects the Pokemon in general. A lot of Pokemon are being implied or mentioned as having different attributes in the distant past (Gastrodon having a shell, Magikarp explicitly being stronger long ago, etc.), and it will be interesting to see each stage of a Pokemon's "Darwinian evolution", as it were.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • I'm actually interested in Ancient Devolution because not only does it not really make sense from a biological standpoint and I'm interested to see how Game Freak justifies it, but also I'm interested in how it affects the Pokemon in general. A lot of Pokemon are being implied or mentioned as having different attributes in the distant past (Gastrodon having a shell, Magikarp explicitly being stronger long ago, etc.), and it will be interesting to see each stage of a Pokemon's "Darwinian evolution", as it were.

I personally believe this is a new way to enchance all the legendary Pokémon. And maybe some Pokèmon with Prehistoric background will get one too, but its kinda hard to speculate that considering Aerodactyl had a mega evolution. So I'm just guessing this is a "Legendary-exclusive" mechanic. I mean all Legendaries, had some form of history. Especially Zekrom and Reshiram(who I would love to see fuse) and Arceus, who supposeldy had 1000 arms(oh dear god no)

DJTiki

Years
  • Technically their original forms are these two, and it's RSE forms are it's weaker evolved forms (evolved in a more real life sense rather than Metamorphosis), sort of like Origin forme Giratina is Giratina's original form (for now at least...).

Other than Rayquaza we may see the fossils get them. They could ditch the rock type maybe and get something else. Armaldo could get Bug/Water, Cradlily could get Grass/Water or keep Rock/Grass, Rampardos will keep it's Rock type as most like it was a rock type originally, Archeops could get Dragon/Flying, Kabutops could be Water/Bug, Carracosta could keep it's Water/ Rock type or become Water/Steel, Omastar could stay Rock/Water, Tyrantrum could become pure Dragon, and Aurorus pure Ice. Genosect could become pure bug, and Relicanth could keep it's normal type.

I really hope so, mainly because its a little sketchy considering Aerodactyl had a mega evolution, and its a fossil. So hopefully, they can use this mechanic for all legendaries, as well as the fossil, and change Aerodactyl's mega, to a devolution.

Years

This would be great. Kyogre could get something like Great Flood, Groudon something like Supervolcano, and Rayquaza something like Meteor Crash.

Although I think the moves may disappear after they revert to their normal forme. It could work by replacing one of their attacks with the new forme's signature attack during the transformation. Kyogre could get Water Spout replaced, Groudon Eruption, and Rayquaza could perhaps have Outrage replaced.

Technically their original forms are these two, and it's RSE forms are it's weaker evolved forms (evolved in a more real life sense rather than Metamorphosis), sort of like Origin forme Giratina is Giratina's original form (for now at least...).

You've convinced me on the Fossils getting Devolutions, but I think it may be done slightly differently. It would be separate from Ancient Devolution and Mega Evolution. It could be Fossil Devolution.

One of the scientists in Ambrette Town says that Pokémon that can be restored from Fossils might have something to do with Mega Evolution. It could be that she was referring to a similar process that only Fossil Pokémon can undergo.

If it is so, this could mean that Fossil Devolution would be similar to Mega Evolution in that it would activate during battle and would also count as your team's Mega Evolution, so that you couldn't Fossil Devolve one of your Pokémon and then Mega Evolve another of your Pokémon in the same battle (I think the same will apply to Ancient Devolution).

Years
  • I really thought it would be exclusive to Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza, and I don't think it's as big of change as we think it is. I just really want to know exactly it's called in English because that will make things clearer.
    Yeah, an official translation would be good. Also I want them to clear up if we should be calling them formes or not...I think they're like Megas but the other way but with the same power boost.

I think that perhaps the creation trio (even Giratina who could have white wings if he is indeed based on Satan...) and the Lake trio in addition to Arceus and Mew could have one. Mew seems the most likely out of those I listed just now, seeing how it's the ancestor of all Pokemon. Perhaps it's ancient Devolution looked like Mewtwo. It'll make more sense if Mew gave birth to Mewtwo (according to FrLg) if it were the size of the current Mewtwo.

DJTiki

Years
  • Great Flood, and Super Volcano sound awesome. Perhaps Rayquaza's could be called Extinction Meteor.

Personally, the signature moves should go about like this
    Kyogre: Tsunami(120 base powered Surf, chance to paralysis)
    Groudon: Volcanic Tremor(120 base powered Earthquake, chance to burn)
    Rayquaza: Dragon Crush(120 base powered Dragon Claw, chance to flinch)

Well at least, I want that.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    There is a Mega symbol near Kyogre's name in the HP Bar on the screenshot on the Corocoro page. If this is Ancient Devolution, why is it also Mega Evolution then? The weird thing is, Groudon doesn't have that Mega Symbol. Strange, huh?

There will be new moves for Groudon and Kyogre, it is technically confirmed. You can see them using new moves.
    I think these new moves are dual-typed moves. Groudon's signature move might be called Magma Tremor/Volcanic Tremor and is a Ground-type move, but also doing damage like how it would be as a Fire type move. (Same thing as Flying Press).

Kyogre's move might be Great Flood/Downpour and is a Water-type move that also does damage like an Ice/Psychic type move.

Years
  • There is a Mega symbol near Kyogre's name in the HP Bar on the screenshot on the Corocoro page. If this is Ancient Devolution, why is it also Mega Evolution then? The weird thing is, Groudon doesn't have that Mega Symbol. Strange, huh?

There will be new moves for Groudon and Kyogre, it is technically confirmed. You can see them using new moves.
    I think these new moves are dual-typed moves. Groudon's signature move might be called Magma Tremor/Volcanic Tremor and is a Ground-type move, but also doing damage like how it would be as a Fire type move. (Same thing as Flying Press).

Kyogre's move might be Great Flood/Downpour and is a Water-type move that also does damage like an Ice/Psychic type move.
    I think it's because Prehistoric devolution are likely just Mega Evolutions, but that calls back the Pokemon's lost power rather than giving them power like in the case with the other stones.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
  • Yeah, an official translation would be good. Also I want them to clear up if we should be calling them formes or not...I think they're like Megas but the other way but with the same power boost.

I think that perhaps the creation trio (even Giratina who could have white wings if he is indeed based on Satan...) and the Lake trio in addition to Arceus and Mew could have one. Mew seems the most likely out of those I listed just now, seeing how it's the ancestor of all Pokemon. Perhaps it's ancient Devolution looked like Mewtwo. It'll make more sense if Mew gave birth to Mewtwo (according to FrLg) if it were the size of the current Mewtwo.

Dialga already has one. :P

Back