• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Primal Reversion Discussion & Speculation Thread

Taiji Dragon

Staff Note: This thread is now, as of June 27th, the official hub for discussing primal reversions. Please use this thread for all your primal reversion discussion and speculation! Do you think other Pokemon will be able to undergo this phenomenon? How does it relate to mega evolution?

--

Look at the new box art for OR/AS.

images

By now you must have noticed that the designs for Groudon and Kyogre are different. You can appreciate the difference in the original box art or anyother artwork for these pokemon.

ruby_sapphire_boxart.png

They still have their shape but the markings on their bodies are more pronounced, run along their bodies differently and depict the alpha and omega symbols. The markings are yellow rather than red and blue mirroring each other and also have a little of their own colors in their markings. Why the change? Do you think that is just stylized artwork? Or is there more to these versions that meets the eye? I seems that Groudon and Kyogre will get new formes in game judging by how they look. It would make little sense to make them like that for the artwork and leave them untouched in the game. That would be like having a pretty glass of perfume with no perfume in it. What are your thoughts? Stylized artworks for getting cool vibes or do those depict new formes?

Also notice that their markings are predominantly yellow like a certain member of their trio.

Update:

They have been revealed! The new forms of Groudon and Kyogre are said to be mega evolutions for both of them. They are refered to as Atom Groudon and Atom Kyogre. They are said to be the result of atomic regression.

Here is a picture:

corocoro7142th.jpg

Update 2:

Serebii appears to be in the middle of a translation. They changed the names to Primal/Prehistoric/Primeval. The legends have been regressed to their Primal forms. The process is known as ancient devolution. Content might change as they continue to translate.

Serebii list Groudon and Kyogre as "Prehistoric Pokemon" rather than Mega Evolutions in the index of their OR/AS page. They undergo a process known as "Ancient Devolutions" which is noted to be a similar but seperate process than mega evolution.

Update 3:

Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre have been confirmed to be the english names for the two new forms of Groudon and Kyogre by Nintendo Digital Event at E3 according to serebii.net. Groudon's new form is Ground/Fire while Kyogre retains it's pure Water type. They are currently listed under Primal Pokemon in the index of serebii's OR/AS page.

Here is a link to serebii.net's OR/AS Primal Pokemon list: http://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/primal.shtml

Last edited:

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
THIS IS THE THREAD I WAS LOOKING FOR.

This just got posted on Serebii a while ago.

Edit @ 15:38: The Japanese arm of The Pokémon Company sent out an e-mail to all Daisuki Club members which ends up pointing out the differences to Groudon & Kyogre on the box-art, stating that they're showcasing "never before seen Pokémon", the same terminology they used for Black & White Kyurem, as well as Mega Mewtwo Y upon their reveal, indicating that they are more than stylised artwork of the Pokémon. We'll bring more on this as it comes

I'm hoping it's just a cool form rather than Megas. I thought forms were much cooler x3

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well there is this " The Japanese arm of The Pokémon Company sent out an e-mail to all Daisuki Club members which ends up pointing out the differences to Groudon & Kyogre on the box-art, stating that they're showcasing "never before seen Pokémon", the same terminology they used for Black & White Kyurem, as well as Mega Mewtwo Y upon their reveal, indicating that they are more than stylised artwork of the Pokémon." Source: Serebii

So all indication is that they're something more. The new forms (whether Megas or Otherwise) will probably mean a longer or slightly shifted to the end story.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I guess I was wrong with them just being exaggerated drawings! I don't really mind new forms, but if they don't end up being Megas then I hope they have a purpose instead of being new forms for the sake of it like almost every other legendary.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I guess I was wrong with them just being exaggerated drawings! I don't really mind new forms, but if they don't end up being Megas then I hope they have a purpose instead of being new forms for the sake of it like almost every other legendary.

I hope that they use the forms to be more powerful or something so that they can wreck more havoc on the region and make the story more intense. c:

Considering that Mega Evolution happens when a trainer has a good bond with their Pokemon, I'm thinking these will be forms.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
"stating that they're showcasing 'never before seen Pokémon'"
...But we have seen Groudon and Kyogre before. New forms =/= completely new Pokémon. Now, I'm not saying that they can't be getting new forms or mega evolutions, but the wording here that TPC is using.....

I hope that they use the forms to be more powerful or something so that they can wreck more havoc on the region and make the story more intense. c:
lol, as if those 2 needed more power (holy crap the stats on those Megas). But they did give Mewtwo 2 mega evos and #GameFreakLogic, so it could happen....
But I have to agree, more intense story is needed.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Perhaps they are Megas, but the bond thing will be played with...perhaps they'll first appear as corrupted Megas (think Dark Lugia) but after we calmed them they drop the stones and leave. After that we can pick up the stone(s) and battle the mascot of our game.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I keep thinking they're overexaggerated art like one person before me, to be honest. They look too similar to be Megas to the originals. Although I suppose they COULD be Formes, especially since I just now noticed that they do indeed have Alpha and Omega symbols on them. Either way, I look forward to the berth of information that will slowly be revealed up to the release.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Highly doubt they're Megas. Probably some new form all together. They look sweet though.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 8, 2014
Mega Groudon and mega Kyogre ?!?!

Hey everybody ! recently pokemon has released the brand new game pokemon omega and alpha which is coming out this november :D You can not imagine how much i am happy right now ! But in the pictures in the boxes groudon and kyogre have a different look... I was surprised and tough it may be a mega evolution ... But I am not sure and I would love to see what you think about it so comment down below :D

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 2, 2017
They will probably change forms using the orbs... maybe Rayquaza will also

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
Years
I have a feeling it'll be orbs as well now that I'm thinking.

Orbs could make them glow cool like that. I hope they glow in the game like on the box art.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
Years
I hope they're not mega evolutions. It wouldn't make sense given the official timeline and I was never a fan of starters and legendaries getting mega evolutions to begin with.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
Part of me wonders if maybe Groudon and Kyogre are just gonna have pretty blinky lights now like with Zekrom and Reshiram....dammit I can't find any animated sprites so I can show what I mean

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
I really want them to be mega evolutions. Game freak can surely patch X and Y with new mega evolutions to keep support, right?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I hope they're not mega evolutions. It wouldn't make sense given the official timeline and I was never a fan of starters and legendaries getting mega evolutions to begin with.
What do you mean it doesn't make sense with the current timeline? So far we have no way of telling whether these games will be remakes or sequels, and in the case of sequels, mega evolution definitely wouldn't be a bad guess. Not to mention Red got his Charizard to mega evolve in the Origins anime.", but I wouldn't really consider that canon.

That said, I'm leaning more towards new forms, simply because mega evolutions would be too boring. Don't get me wrong, I really love the concept of mega evolutions, but I prefer the idea of alternate forms much more.

~Platina's Jason~

Platina Fan to the 9th Degree~
Years
What do you mean it doesn't make sense with the current timeline? So far we have no way of telling whether these games will be remakes or sequels, and in the case of sequels, mega evolution definitely wouldn't be a bad guess.

These games have been confirmed to be remakes. Since the current timeline has XY after RSE it wouldn't make sense to have mega evolutions in the game at all.

Back