• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Professor Kukui and Hala (?)

Years
  • Super interested in the fact that we're actually related to the professor! He looks chill. I like it.

Professor Palm definitely isn't as smart of a name, haha.

I really don't think that's what the cousin line meant, in my opinion they're trying to play with the culture of Hawaii. Could be wrong, though.

I like a lot of things about these two. If Kukui ends up being the main professor I'll love it; he seems to be quite young and unique compared to the rest of the pack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2016
    I think it's likely that the old man releasing the Pokemon is a retiring professor and Kukui's dad, Kukui could be taking over his dad's job.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Cool relation to the professor! I expected a female professor since we've only had one, but I like the design of this guy.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am also thinking that cousin is uses as a term similar to brother or sister. I know they used the word Ohana a lot, which means family, they use it a lot even without being related to the people they use it with.

I am not sure how accurate Lilo and Stitch were when it came to accuracy of the culture, but if I recall, they used cousin a lot without being related as well.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Professor Kukui and Hala (?)

Yes! I was thinking about this as well. I considered the older guy being the professor as well since he had the starters, but looked at the first guy because tree name + coat. Although then again he doesn't have Professor at the start of his name ?

And I hadn't thought of that! I wouldn't be surprised if they referred to each other by cousins or brothers within the region.

I thought the professor was the bigger guy too. He looks like a professor, except for his clothes.

Now I am curious, as the tree name and the coat does make him looks like the professor...

Would it be a region with two professor? One in training maybe?

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    The professors are cool.

I like both. I think it's likely that Kuiki is the professor, but Hala also makes sense. As some have said, they could work together.

I think this will be the case with Hala as the old professor and maybe a village elder, and Kuiki taking over. which is a good plot point.

Also, I've been to Hawaii, the cousin think is something used often. They also refer to you as brother or sister depending on where you are.

Although being related to the professor would be cool and surprising.

I also would be willing to bet that we moved to this region from Kalos or Hoenn, like how you did in R/S/E/ORAS. As the welcome to paradise implies you are new to the town.

I wonder if they will make the pokedex a primary goal? I think it will be more of a side thing, with them encouraging you to relax and explore the region. I also think they will lead you to the forest or the south route to start your journey.

Actually, I think you come in the south route based on where you first see Kuiki, and then the video call gives me the feeling that it will work like ORAS.

I think we are in for an interesting story with these two!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I... was under the impression that Tanned Wattson was the professor, since he releases the starters. Maybe Kukui is the assistant, or there are two professors this time?

Either way, Kukui is married so I'm not too interested in either character.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I... was under the impression that Tanned Wattson was the professor, since he releases the starters. Maybe Kukui is the assistant, or there are two professors this time?

Either way, Kukui is married so I'm not too interested in either character.

That doesn't mean you can't have him!

He's only more of a fantasy
    :p

And what if that's a mega ring?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    That doesn't mean you can't have him!

He's only more of a fantasy
    :p

And what if that's a mega ring?

Lysandre had one of those. He wore it on his right hand. Because he's not married.

And I'm sure people can use Mega Rings to double as wedding rings. It's a pretty cute idea--although Kukui's looks more like a band so I don't know if a stone can fit on it.

Years
  • Lysandre had one of those. He wore it on his right hand. Because he's not married.

Wedding rings are worn on different hands depending on which part of the world you're in though ;)
    But yeah it looks too small to be a mega ring, unless mega stones have become a lot smaller since XY!

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Lysandre had one of those. He wore it on his right hand. Because he's not married.

And I'm sure people can use Mega Rings to double as wedding rings. It's a pretty cute idea--although Kukui's looks more like a band so I don't know if a stone can fit on it.

This is probably true, but you never know.

People seem to want him to be married to the other professor. It be an interesting decision if true, but not a bad one.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    So apparently kukui is the term for a nut that's used to burn like a candle. Whereas a hala is the name of a tree itself. I'm really thinking Kukui, regardless of how prominent a character he is, is the assistant, whereas Hala is the actual professor. This makes sense since Hala gives you your starter; it wouldn't make sense if Kukui is the professor for him to not give you your starter considering he's right there the whole time.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • So apparently kukui is the term for a nut that's used to burn like a candle. Whereas a hala is the name of a tree itself. I'm really thinking Kukui, regardless of how prominent a character he is, is the assistant, whereas Hala is the actual professor. This makes sense since Hala gives you your starter; it wouldn't make sense if Kukui is the professor for him to not give you your starter considering he's right there the whole time.
    Yeah, that seems possible. Kukui might be a professor in training at the start of the game.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
  • Maybe, this Alola region is extremely vast, and one of the guy is the professor of one part and the other of the other part. There is another possibility that the young one is the assistant of the old chubby guy, who is the professor. Adventures in the Alola region may continue in the next game, and then, we may find the thinner one to be the new professor.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Hala immediately reminded me of Uncle Iroh from ATLA, and I started laughing.

I am not sure how accurate Lilo and Stitch were when it came to accuracy of the culture, but if I recall, they used cousin a lot without being related as well.

I think you're right, I kinda remember it being used that way in Lilo and Stitch too. And IIRC, Tito from Rocket Power said the same thing, and he was from Hawaii. May have heard it being used in the same context on Hawaii Five-0 and Dog the Bounty Hunter, but I can't swear to it.

Back